What RPG campaign are you going to run/play in 2018?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'll probably keep running my Shadows Over Sol game for a few months. After that, I'd like to run a Shadows of Esteren campaign. Both are the first systems that have really fit my preferences in setting and mechanics in years.

I'm going to continue playing in my friend's monthly Gurps Dark*Matter campaign. He's been running that for over a year now, and there isn't really a planned completion date. Kind of an open-ended campaign until the players get tired of it.

I've had around a 6-month break from GMing, and I'm trying to decide whether to get my every-other-Sunday, Call of Cthulhu gaming group back together. We had one player leave the country over the summertime, and I've been so distracted with work and family-stuff that I've never got something back on track. Maybe this coming spring.
I hope to run Dark Matter campaign in 2018 even though we will play it using BRP rather than Alternity (nothing wrong with Alternity we are just much more familiar with BRP). I am really excited about it as the setting book is really terrific.

As a PC:
* HARP Fantasy - Cyradon
* D&D 5E - Forgotten Realms

As a GM:
* Advanced Fighting Fantasy - Titan. A good fun game for me to run with my kids. Likely to one day transition them from this to BRP OpenQuest. However its still alot of fun playing it for what it is.
* FATE Core - My homebrew setting/genre is called 'Action Flick Episodes'. Inspired by Burn Notice, Magnum PI, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Mcgywver, Mission Impossible, The Fast & The Furious, etc etc. Lots of modern-era pulpy fun!

Potentially as a GM:
* The One Ring - I would love to finally try this out at some stage, however not all my troupe really want to play Tolkien at present. This one may not happen for some time.
* BRP Call of Cthulhu 7E - Pulp Cthulhu: The Masks of Nylarthotep. In hiatus, but I may return to it. It has been alot of fun.
* BRP Mythras - I want to run some more Mythras at some stage. Just love the gladitorial flavour for combat, and the 'realism' that is easily evoked with Mythras. I'm undecided on the setting at this stage. It could be Mythic Britain or Mythic Constanople. Also could decide Thennela. Perhaps even a homebrew of The Realm. Possibly even a Mythras version of The Hyborian Age may be the in the works. Need to see what I can come up with.
* BRP RuneQuest Adventures In Glorantha- I'll see if the new version of RQ due in 2018 lives up to expectations. I do like Glorantha, so returning to GM it again is certainly going to happen. I just need to see what ruleset of BRP I'll be using; whether I'll be doing it with RQG, or with Mythras.
* Weird Fantasy - Hankering to run a OSR style fantasy game along the line of the gonzo flavour of DCC. However I don't actually own DCC, but I could easily use another version of D&D that is already sitting in my collection. In that case I could go Swords & Wizardry or D&D 5E (perhaps even just D&D 5E Basic Set).
Part of me also considering doing this with Bare Bones Fantasy, for simplicity and flavour. Such a great little book, it lends itself to something like this rather well.
However I'm just as likely to use BRP. I suppose I could use Mythras Classic Fantasy, although I am really wanting to run this with a simplier BRP ruleset with less bookeeping, so Mythras may be off the list. More likely to go with another version of BRP for this one, such as MagicWorld or OpenQuest.

So I got a lot of plans, but we'll see how far I get

Last edited:
I'm burning the midnight oil on a project for work that's scheduled to launch Mar 31, so I won't have any time to run anything until that's out the door. Once that happens, I'm planning on running a post apocalyptic game, similar to Fallout. I'll most likely be using Savage Worlds, with ideas cribbed from Savage Fallout, Broken Earth and The Apocalypse Campaign Guide. I'm planning on setting it in the Chelan/Wenatchee/Coulee area in Washington state.

Additionally, I ran Lost Mine of Phandelver for my group last year, and they've expressed an interest in revisiting those characters. I've been cribbing some ideas for that from various sources. Right now I'm playing Torchlight 2 and finding lots of nifty ideas to pilfer there.

I'll continue running my WHFRP 3e campaign, as well as my Swords & Wizardry Soneheart Valley campaign. If all goes well, my MERP on the Borderlands project will get a few sessions.

I've promised to run The One Ring for a friend and his daughter, so that will be fun.

Finally, I'd like to fiddle around with Genesys. It's looking really great so far. It looks like it will do everything I need it to do.

Additionally, I ran Lost Mine of Phandelver for my group last year, and they've expressed an interest in revisiting those characters. I've been cribbing some ideas for that from various sources. Right now I'm playing Torchlight 2 and finding lots of nifty ideas to pilfer there.

I loved the TL2 gameplay and the more light-hearted tone was a welcome respite from the grimdarkness that the action-CRPG genre seems to favor. Great game!

Going to be continuing my 5e D&D Wilderlands multi-party open world sandbox game. Going to be continuing my 4e D&D Nentir Vale game.

Got the news a few days ago that I'll be able to run Wilderlands: Stonehell multi-party multi-table megadungeon/sandbox thingy weekly at the pub, with my co-GM running the area to the west that includes the Sunken Citadel. Plus probably a couple online games a week with different PC parties. It's fun running a campaign with 1st level & 20th level PCs in the same game. :grin:
Also one of my players will be GMing an online Viridistan campaign in my campaign's continuity, in which I'll be a player.

Continue my Roll20 AD&D campaign, keep on doing one-shots at the comic and game store, try to start up a Twilight:2000 game somehow, try to start an in-home AD&D campaign again.

Got the news a few days ago that I'll be able to run Wilderlands: Stonehell multi-party multi-table megadungeon/sandbox thingy weekly at the pub, with my co-GM running the area to the west that includes the Sunken Citadel. Plus probably a couple online games a week with different PC parties. It's fun running a campaign with 1st level & 20th level PCs in the same game. :grin:
Also one of my players will be GMing an online Viridistan campaign in my campaign's continuity, in which I'll be a player.

Wow. I loves me some WoHF. That sounds so unbearably cool I can't stand it. What system will you be using?

Wow. I loves me some WoHF. That sounds so unbearably cool I can't stand it. What system will you be using?

I've settled on 5e D&D for Wilderlands since January 2015. Previously tried C&C, 1e AD&D/OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, and even 4e D&D, but 5e seems to be by far the best fit to the setting, at least the semi-gonzo sword & sorcery (with a bit of sword & planet) approach I take to it. The way Wilderlands was originally statted out in OD&D fits hand in glove with 5e power levels. I do have one major DMG-option house rule which is to use 1 week for Long Rests, this allows for attrition during hex crawling (with several encounters per week, not per day) and gives a natural cadence to megadungeon exploration - go in, explore for a few hours, retreat & rest for a week.

Other than that, I've got an open-ended play-by-post Magic World game that will continue into it's third year, and I'll keep chipping away at building on my adaptation of Jack Vance's Lyonesse, set 1,000 years after the events in the books for Renaissance -- something a little like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, mixed with Brothers Grimm, and Moorcock's Warhound and the World's Pain.
This sounds amazing.

This sounds amazing.
Thanks! There's something pretty compelling about revisiting the Tantravelles Forest and the 12 kingdoms of Hybras with muskets, alchemists, and juxtaposing the world of fairy tale logic against the dawn of the age of reason. I'm mining lots of influences from Lamentations of the Flame Princess adventures, Hyrda Cooperative adventures, Clockwork & Chivalry stuff, and a smattering of old Warhammer adventures that I only really started reading recently. It's a lot of fun doing the world-building.

juxtaposing the world of fairy tale logic against the dawn of the age of reason.
That was my favorite aspect of Gilliam's The Brothers Grimm. It reminded me of a favorite illustration from a book of fairy tales where a Napoleonic soldier, in the woods, is being stalked by a witch hiding in a tree stump... that echoed a Vietnam-era political cartoon that always haunted me.
I know nothing of Lyonesse though, just Clark Ashton Smith's Avoroigne stories. I need to read more Jack Vance.

That was my favorite aspect of Gilliam's The Brothers Grimm. It reminded me of a favorite illustration from a book of fairy tales where a Napoleonic soldier, in the woods, is being stalked by a witch hiding in a tree stump... that echoed a Vietnam-era political cartoon that always haunted me.
I know nothing of Lyonesse though, just Clark Ashton Smith's Avoroigne stories. I need to read more Jack Vance.
Lyonesse is Vance at his peak -- playful, ironic, and a unique take on Arthurian/Breton/Cornish myths that doesn't feel trite or tired.

If you like Smith, then Vance's similar mastery of language should be right up your alley.

Last edited:
Lol after seeing The Last Jedi several of my players are trying to get me to run a Star Wars game EotE/AoR/FaD mix. I swear their like magpies with shiny things :crossed:
Aren't they all!

Apparently I'm also running a kitchen sink pirate game as well. Trying out some plot currently from the players. Thinking right now the gladiator who has no sea skills has the strongest link - he was sold into slavery and hates the guy who did, and has some loyalty to the guy who bought him and freed him. I need to have lunch with him and tease out some ideas.

Apparently I'm also running a kitchen sink pirate game as well. Trying out some plot currently from the players. Thinking right now the gladiator who has no sea skills has the strongest link - he was sold into slavery and hates the guy who did, and has some loyalty to the guy who bought him and freed him. I need to have lunch with him and tease out some ideas.

What system do you think you might use?

Anybody want to ring in the New Year with an online D&D campaign?

Specifically one based on my "Blue Box" setting for OD&D/Swords & Wizardry/White Box?

What system do you think you might use?
Mythras, currently. I'm not convinced its the right fit, but I'm going with it. Fairly anything goes within some limits of reason

Mythras, currently. I'm not convinced its the right fit, but I'm going with it. Fairly anything goes within some limits of reason
If BRP does not have enough options for you, you might still want to mine Blood Tide for ideas.

I had forgotten about it, though it is in my wishlist on DTRPG. It’d not so much lack of options but rather plot and character stuff. But slowly working through it. Realized the gladiator who can’t pirate worth a damn could be the agent of a wealthy benefactor who chartered the ship to work on new trade routes. Since the gladiator is in a profession that is sort of dead ending, the benefactor is trying to get him som business skills. This gives them a plot hook and connections for further ones.

Going to be running a Genesys campaign by Spring Break. Gave two options to the club, see who and how many likes what. Then go from there.

• After Contact: Hey there are aliens, wait are they having a massive space battle next to earth? WTF? Essentially a spin on Defiance, but no actual aliens survived just ships and debris. Plus all the politicos on Earth who did "things" once is was shown that we are not along. Now it's x amount of time later.
  • KungFu Scifi: Chi IS a thing, it can power space travel. It also can be used to power cyberware. Schools/Traditions/Corps/Governments compete for resources.

• KungFu Scifi: Chi IS a thing, it can power space travel. It also can be used to power cyberware. Schools/Traditions/Corps/Governments compete for resources.
I like this one a bunch. Shadowrun + Star Wars

Continuing my bi-weekly D&D game for the children and friends, and a narrative game an old friend and I run (we can't be bothered to use a system).

Looking to start a Mythras game - been doing play testing for Mythras CF, but have a hankering to run some straight up Mythras, in a custom setting i've been tinkering with for a while. Essentially it's a collection of small moons, micro-planets, with gates that connect the various planets together. Still a bit of work to do before I gather up players for it (I have 1.5 writing projects to finish up), but I'm hoping to get it moving by February.

This, and to actually get out to my local club and play 40k and AoS at least once a week.

It's a D&D parody setting where you play as Sonic the Hedgehog-inspired Fan Characters in a medieval fantasy Alternate Universe version of Sonic's world of Mobius.
Ah, gotcha. Never really followed the Sonic fandom or the shows, so I'm afraid the parody would be lost on me.

Ah, gotcha. Never really followed the Sonic fandom or the shows, so I'm afraid the parody would be lost on me.

I understand completely. Blue Box can work as a cute fuzzy critter D&D game as well, but it originated as a Sonic parody.

My Palladium Fantasy campaign will continue into 2018 and I’ll continue to run Dungeon Fantasy RPG at conventions here in Wisconsin next year.
How long has your Palladium Fantasy been running? Are you playing 1E or 2E or a mix?

Off and on for 25 years. A mix

Awesome! Please start a thread on it and tell us everything your players and you have done. :smile:

I never did play PFRPG but it's a pretty cool game.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back