What song are you loving right now?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
For me it's the traditional Scottish ballad "Loch Lomond." I'd never heard it until about a month ago, but I really like it. On the surface it sounds like a normal sad love song, but there's a theory it's actually about the Jacobite Rising. I'm currently planning a trip to Scotland, which is how I ended up hearing the song.

Every individual component of this song is something/some style that I hate, but for some reason the combination is hypnotic to me.

An amazing cover of what I consider one of the most beautiful songs ever written

Maori drummers and Maori choir singing with them for a song based partly on their mythology.

Oingo Boingo is one of those bands that every record of their songs sounds completely different

Only discovered this today--it's like the "Quiet Storm" version:

I'm cheating with a two-in-one. So much better in concert than on records. Their music was poorly served by 1980s recording techniques and drum sounds.

I grew up in LA and I've seen Oingo Boingo so many times I've lost count. Their Halloween shows were legendary, and of course they were regular staples on KROQ before it became corporate schlock with the rest of the industry. It's funny how living in that bubble - I always thought *everyone* knew Oingo Boingo. Fantastically talented band. But when I left LA - and inevitably would talk about music... virtually no one knew who the hell they were unless I talked about Elfman in his musical scores (which I'm ehhh on).

Great band. And yes... *insanely* good live.

I grew up in LA and I've seen Oingo Boingo so many times I've lost count. Their Halloween shows were legendary, and of course they were regular staples on KROQ before it became corporate schlock with the rest of the industry. It's funny how living in that bubble - I always thought *everyone* knew Oingo Boingo. Fantastically talented band. But when I left LA - and inevitably would talk about music... virtually no one knew who the hell they were unless I talked about Elfman in his musical scores (which I'm ehhh on).

Great band. And yes... *insanely* good live.

I remember, in th eighties and early nineties, my friends and I were all metalheads. But, I had listened to Bongo's "Nothing To Fear" album, and LOVED it. I tried to turn my friends on to it, but they were having none of it. I had gotten a similar reaction years earlier, when I tried to get the other headbangers to listen to Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back."

I mostly listen to Lindsey Stirling these days, but the day before yesterday I went and was in a down mood. So I listened to some Disturbed (Sound of Silence, Prayer, and a few others.) Believe it or not, they did a good job of expressing my mood well and that helped. Music and I haven't been close since I went through hell in 2004. I lost a LOT of music interest.

A lot just triggers depression, though some do not. Sterling is usually joyous to me. A few she's done with others have been really good.

I think this track should be the new Rick Roll, makes me laugh my ass off and guaranteed to annoy anyone over 25.

Do you know that thing where you forget about a song and then something reminds you of it and you fall in love with it all over again? Well. I noticed that all the episode titles for the new sci-fi show Pandora are Bob Dylan songs. Episode 4 is entitled I Shall Be Released and I just had to go listen to The Band's (studio) version:

I listen to a lot of stuff, these days now I'm having a renaissance delving into neo-lounge and spy-jazz.

Thunderball

Experiment in Terror

Peter Gunn Suite (naturally)

Dead Can Dance - one of my all time favorite groups (and their respective solo-work is fantastic too).

The album Anabasis is probably one of my favorite albums of the last two decades. It was a huge influence on me when working on Talislanta, and this new project I'm working on.

Children of the Sun

Opium - This song in particular has haunted me for years. It is absolutely sublime to me.

Having trouble getting this one out of my head after watching Into The Spider-Verse with my son yesterday...

Last edited:
I listen to a lot of stuff, these days now I'm having a renaissance delving into neo-lounge and spy-jazz.

Thunderball

Experiment in Terror

Peter Gunn Suite (naturally)

I got into alot of this stuff back around 2000 or so, when all those Ultra-Lounge reissue series came out.
Some great tunes here :grin:

'Bachelor Pad Royale' was a great album to compliment 'The Crime Scene'. Some of it is a bit more martini-swagger than private-eye, but the two albums work really well together :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I got into alot of this stuff back around 2000 or so, when all those Ultra-Lounge reissue series came out.
Some great tunes here :grin:

'Bachelor Pad Royale' was a great album to compliment 'The Crime Scene'. Some of it is a bit more martini-swagger than private-eye, but the two albums work really well together :thumbsup:

I’ve got these albums! The Crime Scene is really good. Of all the ‘loungecore’ bands back in the 90s the best was Combustible Edison.

Of all the ‘loungecore’ bands back in the 90s the best was Combustible Edison.
Now you've gone and reminded me of Tipsy. I have some extremely - colorful, shall we say? - memories of listening to this band. It really holds up.

Now you've gone and reminded me of Tipsy. I have some extremely - colorful, shall we say? - memories of listening to this band. It really holds up.

Oh yeah they are really good too. I forgot about them until you mentioned it but I also have this album. Glad I've still got all my CDs even if they take up some space.

Decided to play the original by Erma "Aretha's big sister" Franklin after listening to the Delaney & Bonnie version. Janis who? :wink:

I'm a massive fan of Tangerine Dream... I love that new electronic aficionados are paying their respects.

Now if only I can get them to do some stuff from "Exit"...

I'm cheating with four in one post, but these guys were pretty rockin' in the mid-'60s. Mark Lindsay was a great rock'n'roll singer. They'd probably get a lot more credit if not for the stupid stage costumes they should've ditched by '65. I'd say these songs (all from '66) are as good as anything the Rolling Stones put out in '66.

Last edited:
I'm cheating with for in one post, but these guys were pretty rockin' in the mid-'60s. Mark Lindsay was a great rock'n'roll singer. They'd probably get a lot more credit if not for the stupid stage costumes they should've ditched by '65. I'd say these songs (all from '66) are as good as anything the Rolling Stones put out in '66.

Funny, they're featured prominently in the soundtrack for Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood and Sharon Tate (as played by Margot Robbie) even makes a point of praising them in the film. Garage rock fans have always held them in high regard.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back