What song are you loving right now?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Synthwave is not really my thing, but I have to give some respect to this video by Gunship, which was created by asking their fans to send in clips of themselves re-enacting classic 80s films.

I was just reading that the vocal effect on this song was produced by Tony Visconti recording David Bowie at a large concert hall at the Hansa recording studio in Berlin. Visconti put "three microphones at intervals along the length of the hall, one very close to Bowie, one halfway down the hall, and the third at the far end of the hall. During the recording, Bowie sang each verse progressively louder than the last and as he increased volume in each verse, Visconti opened up each of the three microphones in turn, from closest to farthest. Thus, in the first verse, Bowie's voice sounds close, warm and present; by the end of the song, Visconti has mixed in a large amount of signal from all three microphones, giving Bowie's voice a strikingly reverberant sound."

I was just reading that the vocal effect on this song was produced by Tony Visconti recording David Bowie at a large concert hall at the Hansa recording studio in Berlin. Visconti put "three microphones at intervals along the length of the hall, one very close to Bowie, one halfway down the hall, and the third at the far end of the hall. During the recording, Bowie sang each verse progressively louder than the last and as he increased volume in each verse, Visconti opened up each of the three microphones in turn, from closest to farthest. Thus, in the first verse, Bowie's voice sounds close, warm and present; by the end of the song, Visconti has mixed in a large amount of signal from all three microphones, giving Bowie's voice a strikingly reverberant sound."

Is this the book you’re reading? It’s excellent and where I first read about Visconti’s recording techniques with Bowie.

4C794964-FFF8-4A90-A7F2-3432F0F03095.jpeg

Playing the hell out of Moby Grape. Here's the A and B side of their 1967 single "Omaha," which gives just a sample of their breadth and depth:

Anybody know of any good, detailed books on the late '60s-early '70s Bay Area music scene? Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape, Quicksilver Messenger Service, etc.?

Never been into New Order, though I like a handful of their songs that I know. I can't even tell you the titles of a lot of them thanks to their penchant for using titles that don't appear in the lyrics of their songs. I've never cared enough to buy any of their records, except for this single I bought in '93 because I found it particularly moving...was gonna say more about why but changed my mind. Suffice to say I could play it for hours without getting tired of it. The B-side was a crappy total ripoff remix of the same song, I seem to recall. The sleeve was also quite unattractive, though looking at it now it makes me think of Brokeback Mountain.
R-1756345-1543850863-7209.jpeg.jpg

A bolt from the blue and a blast from the past, this tune popped into my head earlier today, unbidden and unheard in probably a decade, but now it's lodged itself and insists upon being whistled, therefore I inflict upon you the great Aztec Camera:

Never heard this before in my life, never heard of Cymande, just came across it today, but it is incredible and everyone should listen to it:

Googling them to learn more. Here they are:
cymande_cover-660x400.png

If you imagine a high-pitched, quavering voice instead, this is totally a Neil Young song. :hehe:

The bartenders at my local have been on a classic country kick lately, which has reminded me of what a great song Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried" is.

I've got two.
The first one might be the best thing to come out of the Fallout 76 fiasco.

The other one showing how hyped I am for Cyberpunk 2077 and the Cyberpunk 2020 game I am about to launch.

Cheating again with two from The Nylon Curtain. Billy Joel doesn't seem to get mentioned much anymore for a versatile guy with a big catalogue of really good songs.

Not a lot of baby boomers were writing songs disclaiming their generation's unrealistic perspective and inability to deal with the pressure of workaday life:

And you don't hear many catchy pop songs with clever lyrics about the economic downturn in the Rust Belt:

Mr Joel is a favorite around my house. An incredibly versatile musician and artist. We have a greatest hits double cd set that has been in our rotation for more than 20 years (ripped to mp3 most of that time)

Ladytron - Deadzone

Although, to be honest, there isn't really a bad track on the entire album. A few years away has really done Ladytron good.

Cheating again with two from The Nylon Curtain. Billy Joel doesn't seem to get mentioned much anymore for a versatile guy with a big catalogue of really good songs.
I think its regional. Here in New Jersey, you can't listen to classic rock/pop station for an hour without hearing a Billy Joel song. In fact, I heard "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" while getting a haircut yesterday.

Two great songs for your Sunday drive:

I don't know anything about the Jazz Butcher except I believe I heard this in high school on a radio station called 91X, which at the time was one of those stations that was not part of any corporate conglomerate and thus you'd hear all sorts of records the deejay wanted to hip you to rather than the dreaded list of songs that must be played.

War we always assumed were Mexican-American dudes as we hadn't ever seen them and they sung about low riders so what else would they be? :tongue:

Wait, what, War is not Mexican-American dudes?!?! I learned something today!

Haven't thought of this band in 10 or 15 years...I used to play the whole album of the same title quite a lot. Came at the start of my sophomore year of college. Everybody except me seemed to like grunge. (I still don't.) I have no idea where my copy of this LP disappeared to. Good chance I lent it to a girl who never gave it back. :wink:

Oh wow, just came across this song thanks to YouTube suggesting it since I looked up another by Morphine. I used to play the hell out of this. I could have sworn it was also on the Cure for Pain LP, but it was on The Night seven years later. Top track! It's almost like a photo-negative of "Low Rider" by War.

"Do Not Go Quietly Unto Your Grave" is my favorite Morphine song. Saw them live once. Great show.

Haven't thought of this band in 10 or 15 years...I used to play the whole album of the same title quite a lot. Came at the start of my sophomore year of college. Everybody except me seemed to like grunge. (I still don't.) I have no idea where my copy of this LP disappeared to. Good chance I lent it to a girl who never gave it back. :wink:

I was reminded of this underrated band when they played a track by them on the tv series City on the Hill.

All over but the shouting at this point but all you really needed was Paul Westerberg anyway:

The Ramones: not one of their early, now-celebrated tunes but a later period track you seldom hear mentioned let alone played now:

At least it got an interesting cover by these gals:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back