What song are you loving right now?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Never really thought about Alex James as a bassist before, though I'd read his book, but then I listened to this acoustic performance and went back to listen to other tracks and he's very good. He's also a good writer.

I love how he got Steve Jones and Paul Cook playing on his putdown response to the Sex Pistols' "New York." I'd print the lyrics but they're pretty nasty so I'll let you look them up if you can't make them out.

Never get tired of these guys. Not a superfan but every now and then I come back to them.

From 1984, one of my favorite New Wave pop singles:

(Hugh Grant sings both leads)

Maori drummers and Maori choir singing with them for a song based partly on their mythology.

If you want to hear a more-or-less traditional Māori choral piece, the canonical example is Pokarekare ana. This is world famous in New Zealand[1] and gets trotted out on a semi-regular basis on TV.

And a solo arrangement of it by Haley Westenra, also world famous in New Zealand.[1]

It's O for awesome.

Last edited:
I was amazed to flip stations while driving and hear three good songs in a row by Squeeze, Culture Club, and Adam Ant. Not only that, my favorite Adam Ant song!

For the longest time, before I saw the lyrics written out, I heard the line "wait on me, girl" as "weird army girl," which I actually like better as it gives the song a whole different twist. I should say I still hear it that way, I just know it's wrong now. Great song. Very melancholy and tuneful. Often overlooked now, it seems, as everyone acts as though Elton John conquered the '70s, disappeared, and then made a comeback in the mid-'90s. He had more than a few great tunes in the '80s.

Stax B sides were better than most labels' A sides:
dramatics-the-devil-is-dope-stax-2.jpg

Probably not as well known as "Oogum Boogum Song" and "Gimme Little Sign," but a dang funky later track by Brenton Wood:

Sadly, I never heard of Brick until today. Now I need to look for more.

I love how they could wear those outfits as the house band in the Mos Eisley Cantina and not look out of place.

Keep coming back to this at the moment . . .

and liking this Brian Eno and Karl Hyde track . . .

These two are progtastic . . .

and for a change of pace . . .

This song reminds me of David Bowie, or I should say some of David Bowie's early work seems an attempt to approach this sort of sound.

The more I read firsthand accounts from people who actually knew and interacted with Syd Barrett, the less convinced I am of the "he took too much acid and lost it" story and the more it sounds like he was a somewhat mentally fragile guy who had no interest in pop stardom and just walked away from it in favor of painting, which is what he was doing before. The book A Very Irregular Head makes a very compelling case, as do other bits I have read from people who saw and spoke to him in later days after he had supposedly "gone mad."

...the less convinced I am of the "he took too much acid and lost it" story and the more it sounds like he was a somewhat mentally fragile guy who had no interest in pop stardom and just walked away from it in favor of painting, which is what he was doing before.
I've felt for a number of years that, in retrospect, those stories sounded too much like urban legends. From what I've heard, it does sounds like Barrett was always a very eccentric fellow, as you never hear about that time before the acid when he considered going into accounting. I've known people who got crazier as they got older and now live in their mom's basement without having ever been sybaritic rock stars.

This sounds like Aphex Twin's Windowlicker crashed into Dr. Octagon. Not sure what drugs these mumblerappers are on but it must be good stuff.

This sounds like Aphex Twin's Windowlicker crashed into Dr. Octagon. Not sure what drugs these mumblerappers are on but it must be good stuff.
So I really hate mumblerappers - flow, voice, lyrics, lifestyle, aesthetics, etc. But there is some nice production out there. I haven't been listening to a lot of hip hop lately, but Anderson Paak has been sneaking into my youtube playlist and I really enjoy what I've heard.

But Aphex and Octagon? I can see the influences (more Aphex than Oct), but I can't put this (or much else) in the same sentence as Windowlicker. Maybe I'm just too reverent...

So I really hate mumblerappers - flow, voice, lyrics, lifestyle, aesthetics, etc. But there is some nice production out there. I haven't been listening to a lot of hip hop lately, but Anderson Paak has been sneaking into my youtube playlist and I really enjoy what I've heard.

But Aphex and Octagon? I can see the influences (more Aphex than Oct), but I can't put this (or much else) in the same sentence as Windowlicker. Maybe I'm just too reverent...

Not as great sure but it has some of the same textural feel and the videos combo of booty and strangeness...

In terms of Oct I'm referring to the lyrics, which while very fragmented also have that ghetto surrealism and perversity you hear from Dr. Oct.

I just thought of a good way of putting my issue with the Windowlicker comparison...

Windowlicker is, among many other things, a parody of a future envisioned by Aphex Twin. Mumblerappers are the people he was parodying before they existed. Hell, before they were born.

I see what you mean by Dr. Octagon, and I see why I missed it; mumblerappers can be a bit harder to follow. The salient difference here is that while Kool Keith was an off-kilter occasional-genius, these guys are fighting through a haze of grape soda and codeine. It's amusing that they end up in some of the same places.

EDIT: It's time to stop just talking about Windowlicker.

Watched Deadpool again last week, and Angel Of The Morning has been in my head ever since

It's hard not to crack a smile as I hear this... :grin:

Happened upon a couple of interesting photographs of Roger "Syd" Barrett (he'd gone back to using his real name) in 1978 and 1982. From what I've read, the "fat, bald, slouching" Syd Barrett who turned up at Abbey Road in '74 was likely the result of medication he'd started and a very temporary aberration.
1dcbffaeeecfa68a0b89428420817620.jpg
'78, age 32, looking like a pretty cool New Wave rocker

98491bf6366cb3591f500968d603cd03.jpg
'82, age 36, looking like a regular guy

My all-time favorite Happy Mondays track. I love it and think this single version is far superior to the LP version. The video is a hoot and a half. Higher than high indeed.

The Pink Floyd performing in Sweden in 1967, unfortunately not great sound quality:

The melody has been sticking in my mind all day:

Apparently Syd was disinclined to fill out the fansheet Q&A:
YHLWqIY.jpg

A funky rock jam from 1973, unreleased, this guy's got so much in the vault he makes Prince look unprolific.

The label "no vocals" is incorrect given Syd Barrett is doing his human beatbox thing--presumably the intended meaning was "no lyrics." Anyway, this song is one of my favorites by the Pink Floyd and here it is performed by the band in their prime in Stockholm in 1967:

It's pretty wild even now--one can only imagine what it must have been like to hear it for the first time back then.

For added fun, here's a photo of Emily Young, who partly inspired "See Emily Play," my favorite song by the Pink Floyd:
953af3503789ed5d346b8140c411a8bd.jpg

As my friend was driving me home from a show last night, he played this song by Black Pumas. I love the Motown feel it has.

I've just discovered this guy and I can't get enough of this song.

I mean, I know why YouTube recommended this to me (the "feat. Joakim Brodén from Sabaton" was the giveaway), what I'm not sure is why I keep replaying it.

I just posted something on the "what are you listening to" thread, but then I realized I'm loving the hell out of it and I should have posted it here. This is really confusing y'all. Well I'm digging this weird one, too.

EDIT: Oh wait, this one is mind-blowingly awesome.

Curve. Oh Toni, if only you'd have been mine. Instead of the copycat psycho-clone girl I settled for... In the next life.

Thanks to Youtube, I have checked out many bands I missed out on the first time around. Coming from a rock/metal background, I love a good ballad. Found this song by Unruly Child from their first album. Given they came out in 1992, I get why they didn't hit bigger. Too bad though, because their music is really good.

Lots of cool music in this thread. This one is not really a song, but this style of music is totally my jam.

Here is an actual song that I really like.

And last but certainly not least, is beautiful cover version of an old song.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back