What system for: Space Opera Swashbuckling!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Anything that does pirates and heroic derring-do well, then just stick "star-" or "space-" in front of everything and come up with a reason that guns aren't better than swords.

I bought Never Tell Me The Odds! on a whim.
It's an indie rpg, and it seems really cool

It's is not designed for campaign play, but should be alot of fun for short sessions.

There is only a skeleton-structure of a setting, which is pretty much a pulpy 'Firefly/Star Wars/Traveller/Rogue Trader' analogy. The setting mainly focuses on interstellar freighters, smugglers, scoundrels etc in the frontiers of the galaxy. It's basically all set in the Outer Rim regions, and if you know Star Wars lore then that can be easily transposed over this.

Definately a rules-lite rpg, with an unconventional core mechanic. The game is 'narrative heavy', but straight forward and definately focused on imbuing a sense of immediacy and risk-taking into the game session. It's presented quite simple, and reads loose and fun. Ideal for pulpy cinematics.

I really want to give this a shot when I can, but I can't truly recommend it as I haven't played it yet.
However I can let you know about its existence, and it is not expensive to check out:
Never Tell Me The Odds!

Last edited:
Anything that does pirates and heroic derring-do well, then just stick "star-" or "space-" in front of everything and come up with a reason that guns aren't better than swords.
I agree with this to the point of having used Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies for exactly that purpose. While not written for space, it helped that the ship rules assumed a three dimensional space due to the "skies" of the setting. Works like a charm!

Spacemaster Privateers! But I always say that. Still, it's because it's true.

Mechanoid Invasion Book 3 is always a good choice.

Galaxies In Shadow can do it but it's not particularly forgiving to those who run towards machinegun nests with swords drawn.

Traveller has the same problem.

Last edited:
I want sword fights, I want space pirates and heroic derring-do, but in space aboard spaceships, what system would you suggest?

I enjoyed my White Star campaign a lot, but being OD&D based you need to start around 3rd level to avoid the "Vietnam in Space" feel. :grin: I'd either use that or Mini Six, based off WEG D6 Star Wars. The latter has a better core engine for cinematic play, but less cool stuff in it.

I want sword fights, I want space pirates and heroic derring-do, but in space aboard spaceships, what system would you suggest?
M-Space.

My first thought is Traveller.

My second thought is M-Space.

My third thought is Crawljammer (DCC take on Spelljammer).
Your second thought was right. Traveller isn't really good at the entertaining swordfights, or it would have been my recommendation as well:thumbsup:!

For the campaign, Pirates of Drinax.

For the rules... I ran three space opera campaigns using Savage Worlds, so I am partial to that.

This, would be my call as well. Nice one Arjunstc.

Star Wars seems like an obvious choice , though I guess there are now so many versions of Stars Wars, from Andro to Lego Star Wars, different people see different things in the franchise.

Going a retro might help with capturing the high-adventure tone. Flash Gordon or Slipstream for Savage Worlds or Galactic Heroes for Cartoon Action Hour could work.

Otherwise, Bulldogs! is a fun, soft sci-fi game. And aren't you a fan of Star Frontiers?

Spacemaster Privateers! But I always say that. Still, it's because it's true.

Mechanoid Invasion Book 3 is always a good choice.

Galaxies In Shadow can do it but it's not particularly forgiving to those who run towards machinegun nests with swords drawn.

Traveller has the same problem.
Traveller: The New Era is, oddly enough (given that it's based on the Twilight: 2000 2e rules) more forgiving of such insanity than the versions of Traveller that are of the Classic lineage.

So, TNE! Actually, it would work for swashbuckling, with some work.

For what you've described here, Savage Worlds Adventure Edition would work great.

If you want to do spaceship combat, as in individual ships shooting at and dodging each other, that is something I've found a bit more difficult to pull off in Savage Worlds.

I have three go-to sci-fi systems
1: Worlds Without Number - very flexible, B/X and Traveller based, superb setting creation rules, starting characters are weak. Handles space opera extremely well

2: SWADE - very well suited to a pulp style space opera campaign. Can be swingy (positive and negative). Favors dynamic action. Space combat rules are lacking

3: Scum & Villainy - uses Forged In The Dark; emulates a Star Wars space opera style campaign extremely well. Requires the GM be comfortable with improvisation and letting the players take more control over what happens

I have three go-to sci-fi systems
1: Worlds Without Number - very flexible, B/X and Traveller based, superb setting creation rules, starting characters are weak. Handles space opera extremely well

2: SWADE - very well suited to a pulp style space opera campaign. Can be swingy (positive and negative). Favors dynamic action. Space combat rules are lacking

3: Scum & Villainy - uses Forged In The Dark; emulates a Star Wars space opera style campaign extremely well. Requires the GM be comfortable with improvisation and letting the players take more control over what happens
None of those have good sword-fighting rules. I've played all three.

Feint, disarm, parry, riposte, all out attack, cautious attack, basic attack, multiple attack. Get those in and decently interacting and it should be about all you need to cover most of it.

I believe that the best system for martial arts/sword fighting is a card based system, although I haven't found any system that plays smoothly.

I do enjoy the system used in the wargame Tribal though.

None of those have good sword-fighting rules. I've played all three.
Bolt one on from somewhere else; I find sub-systems with that much fidelity to be unenjoyable in actual play so I can’t recommend any. Verisimilitude is overrated

Does it have good fencing rules? Parries? Ripostes? Feints? Sword-Trapping?
It's based on Mythras, so probably yes, all of the above. If you insist, I'm going to dig out my copy and check:thumbsup:.

Explicitly fencing rules are present in H+I, though, which would be my other recommendation:shade:.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back