What to do when I feel like an admin/mod is attacking me?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

EmperorNorton

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
First I want to lead with the fact that I did not, in fact, want to make this thread. I tried several other avenues of addressing this before making this thread. Which I will go into as I discuss the problem I have with how this shook down.

The beginning of this issue began in the in the "Paizo Announces ORC License" thread. There was a deleted post there, so you can't see the full series of events in that thread, but I'll go through the whole thing from my perspective.

https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/paizo-announces-orc-license.8621/page-3#post-396743 This was the last post I made in the thread before the event. There was one more post, where Tristram came in and was INCREDIBLY insulting to me. Doing the whole "wow, this is making you so mad" just because I disagree with his assessment and criticized the way the vtuber he apparently likes. It also included insinuations that I'm the kind of person who would go harass her on social media.

Just overall it was straight up character assassination.

After that I messaged Endless rather than respond in thread because 1. I didn't want to escalate things beyond that cause he already went nuclear. 2. I didn't want to report it because what would be the point, the report would probably go to Tristram first anyway since he was currently on. 3. I also didn't want to make a thread here about it, because honestly, I had no intention of making this a public thing. Here is the message I sent:

1673880079286.png

It was a direct link to the insulting post.

At that point, Endless just told everyone to drop it in the thread, as you can see. Endless never even responded to my message. At this point, Tristram's post was still up. Just sitting there. Other than the "everyone drop it" post by Endless, there was literally no acknowledgement from anyone that what he did was out of line. I'm not talking about in the thread, he didn't even respond to the message to tell me he agreed it was out of line.

This bugged me so I sent a second message to Endless:

1673880172752.png

Endless again chooses not to respond at all, not even to acknowledge that what Tristram did was out of line. At this point, Tristram's post was deleted. So now not only does Tristram get to pretend it didn't happen, now it looks like my disagreement with Tristram was the reason Endless said everyone should cool down, rather than it being about Tristram straight out attacking me.

I was not asking for an apology from Tristram, publicly or privately. Or a public admonition of Tristram. All I was asking for is ANY INDICATION that this is being dealt with other than just being swept under the rug. Just someone to say "Hey, yeah that was fucked up for an admin to respond that way. I'll talk to him" and some indication that an admin on the site attacking another user is not just being ignored.

Because all it looks like right now is that "oh it is that EmperorNorton guy again having problems with Tristram, let's just get rid of shit and move on".

After this I contacted Black Leaf, as I strongly respect him as a mod and wanted to explain the issues I was having, the majority of the summary in this thread is what I messaged him with. He responded that he would delete things I wrote if I wanted him to (which I appreciate but I do not like having things I said removed), but would otherwise not interfere with any of it. And that my only choice to address it other than that was to make a thread here.

He also specified that Tristram was acting as a "regular user" and not an admin, so my assessment that it was an "admin" that attacked me was wrong and would not be treated that way.

Except here is the thing: If Tristram is acting like a regular user, then why would he not face similar consequences as a regular user. I've been threadbanned from topics for WAY less than a straight out assault on someone's character (I once got threadbanned for saying someone was "coming off like an asshole" as in, the things they were saying made them appear like an asshole, not even that they were an asshole, and that I might be wrong about what they meant by what they were talking about).

Would Tristram ever face the same? Is he really acting like a regular user when he knows he will never face any consequences for his actions?

Additionally, the lack of even a response from Endless doesn't sit right with me. Even an acknowledgement of "Yeah that was kind of fucked up" would have been nice. Instead it feels like I'm being treated again like a problem because I don't always agree with the moderators/admins on this site.

Last edited:
(I once got threadbanned for saying someone was "coming off like an asshole" as in, the things they were saying made them appear like an asshole, not even that they were an asshole, and that I might be wrong about what they meant by what they were talking about).
Do you have a link to the thread in question? It's hard to react without context. I mean yeah, different threads get moderated differently rather than it always being "if you say X the action is Y" because a lot of variables are at play.
Would Tristram ever face the same? Is he really acting like a regular user when he knows he will never face any consequences for his actions?

Additionally, the lack of even a response from Endless doesn't sit right with me. Even an acknowledgement of "Yeah that was kind of fucked up" would have been nice. Instead it feels like I'm being treated again like a problem because I don't always agree with the moderators/admins on this site.
That's not what causes people to ignore your PMs sometimes. It's because we know that if we reply, there's a high chance you're going to want a conversation consisting of multiple lengthy PMs and will want the replies to be similarily detailed. Which is your right; we choose not to have the "no contacting moderators about mod decisions" policies that other forums have. But it means on purely practial grounds, anyone willing to get into these exchanges with you is going to need both the energy and the spare time to do so. And that's not always the case.

Also I will amend one thing I said in the opening post here, I did, in fact, have no doubts that CRK was saying what I thought he was saying in this situation, I had forgotten the exact instance where this happened.

That said, it is still way less "personal attack" than what Tristram said to me.

Is the issue here that the post was deleted and you come off looking bad as a result?

Is the issue here that the post was deleted and you come off looking bad as a result?
The issue is that Tristram attacked me, and it feels like it is all just being swept under the rug without even an acknowledgement of the fact that it was fucked up to do. I wasn't even asking for a public statement: Even a private reply that what Tristram did was over the line would have been enough. But I didn't even get that. The only acknowledgement at first was the generic "Hey everyone drop the topic" in the thread thing that the mods here always do, the one I've complained about in the past because it treats everyone involved as though they are equally a problem, when only one poster was taking things too far. (The posts were removed after I made a second complaint about how it felt kind of shitty that there isn't even any acknowledgement of Tristram's actions being a problem).

He had already gotten aggressive even before that post when he started talking about how I was demanding she "apologize and abase herself". The worst thing I said in that thread was that "Tristram seemed to be coming after me".

Tristram was overly aggressive in that thread at any criticism of the video creator, and the criticism being made was pretty damn light, and probably similar to criticism he himself has made of other content creators.

(And now, with all of Tristram's responses deleted, I can only provide examples from things I quoted. I am hoping at least the mods can see all the deleted posts).

All I was asking for is ANY INDICATION that this is being dealt with other than just being swept under the rug.
You have multiple admins in here. This is being dealt with. That’s what you asked for.
The issue is that Tristram attacked me, and it feels like it is all just being swept under the rug without even an acknowledgement of the fact that it was fucked up to do.
So I can read the deleted posts. I can’t tell if they were silently edited after and I can’t see your screenshots because the backend doesn’t want to show them. I don’t think there is any attempt to sweep anything under the rug.

from your lack of acknowledgement that we are looking at it (see this thread) and that the goal post has moved (now the issue is that you feel Tristram attacked you), i don’t think that you know what you want other than the one thing you said you didn’t want, which was an apology from Tristram.

one thing I dislike here is assumption of malfeasance from ALL of the admins because you disagree with one and the assumption that we are abusing power and colluding. If you want to see abuse of power, there are other sites for that. This whole conversation, by its existence, shows we are trying very hard to not. We have internal discussions and we do not always agree.

so, I’m going to suggest this publicly since you took it there - take a walk. Take a breath. and dial back your complaints to something focused. I was quite willing to go with the fact that you couldn’t edit it and it made you look bad, but you have dismissed that.

You have multiple admins in here. This is being dealt with. That’s what you asked for.

So I can read the deleted posts. I can’t tell if they were silently edited after and I can’t see your screenshots because the backend doesn’t want to show them. I don’t think there is any attempt to sweep anything under the rug.

from your lack of acknowledgement that we are looking at it (see this thread) and that the goal post has moved (now the issue is that you feel Tristram attacked you), i don’t think that you know what you want other than the one thing you said you didn’t want, which was an apology from Tristram.

one thing I dislike here is assumption of malfeasance from ALL of the admins because you disagree with one and the assumption that we are abusing power and colluding. If you want to see abuse of power, there are other sites for that. This whole conversation, by its existence, shows we are trying very hard to not. We have internal discussions and we do not always agree.

so, I’m going to suggest this publicly since you took it there - take a walk. Take a breath. and dial back your complaints to something focused. I was quite willing to go with the fact that you couldn’t edit it and it made you look bad, but you have dismissed that.
Oh, come on.

I made this post because the ONE moderator who actually responded to my complaint said it was the only option I had and that he otherwise would not do anything in regards to this event. Then every response in this thread was a direct answer to a direct question asked of me.

1. Black Leaf asked about the post I was talking about where I got threadbanned in the past, I gave him a link to where it was discussed previously because I could not actually pull the post because it was deleted.
2. You asked me what I had wanted. I answered what prompted this thread being made.

That is all my posts in this thread. All of them. (And me clarifying something I was wrong about because I'd forgotten a small detail about that old post from forever ago).

And using this thread to try to justify that you are discussing it is kind of ridiculous because I'm the one who made the thread. Had I not made this thread, would any of it have ever been acknowledged? Any of it? At all?

And even in this thread the only acknowledgement that has been made is 1. Endless saying that he didn't think that I was the problem, but didn't have time to respond. 2. Black Leaf asking for that information about that post I talked about from the past and saying that he felt that the reason no one responded was because of time commitment to responding to me too much. and 3. You asking what I actually wanted.

Still. Absolutely zero people have acknowledged that Tristram's actions crossed the line. So this idea that I'm moving the goal posts because I said "All I wanted was an acknowledgement that moderation agrees that Tristram crossed a line and that it is being taken seriously" is silly becuase... no one has done that yet.

No one. Not a single person. The only person who said he thought Tristram was out of line was AsenG when I asked him in a PM if he thought Tristram was as out of line as I thought he was being (back before the post was deleted). And AsenG is just a regular user.

Not a single moderator or admin has said anything to me publicly or privately about Tristram's actions other than that "he was acting as a regular user at the time". And the only reason this discussion is happening PUBLICLY because the only moderator who I talked to about this who responded said this was the only recourse I had.

And if none of you think Tristram crossed the line. I want to know that as well. Because I'm not going to be part of a forum where an admin can make personal attacks against a user for disagreeing with him and all the staff just think that is OK.

So for a thread that the topic of which was only 'reluctantly' made public there seems to be a lot of public expansion of position and content happening. Not a criticism, just an observation.

I actually said to take it to the moderation thread, if we want to be specific.

So for a thread that the topic of which was only 'reluctantly' made public there seems to be a lot of public expansion of position and content happening. Not a criticism, just an observation.
Again: I would have rather talked about it in private, but I wasn't given that option.

Out of interest, what's the time between Endless not replying and you deciding he wasn't going to ever? Because I'm pretty sure I've said explictly to you before that expecting 24 hour turnarounds is not and never will be reasonable. This isn't a paid customer service job and you can't expect the mods to prioritise replying to stuff like this over anything else in their lives. Personally I'd suggest that at least a week should pass before people decide they're being ignored. (And this is a really short period of time compared to elsewhere).

I made this post because the ONE moderator who actually responded to my complaint said it was the only option I had and that he otherwise would not do anything in regards to this event.
no, you made this thread because you wanted to make it public. You COULD have group DMed all of us. Easy. Up at the top. You could have even DMed all of us without Tristram. it was always an option. Public posting is going to make a lot of people defensive. The primary crux of your argument has nothing to do with Tristram's words, it has to do with his role. "What do I do when one admin does this to me, when that admin is one I've had LONG standing conflict with?" answer - go to the other admins. You did, to your credit, but then you decided on a public thread and accuse us all of colluding to sweep it under the rug. I literally wasn't aware that those comments were made before this thread right here because I don't sit on here 24/7. Dial it down like... 6 notches.

Then every response in this thread was a direct answer to a direct question asked of me.
You mean the responses because we are busy tracking the fastest thread in board history and we have jobs and lives? Sorry to tell you this, but we aren't tracking everything minute by minute. We try. Right now I have a meeting in 22 minutes, so I'm for sure not going to be tracking it during that.

And using this thread to try to justify that you are discussing it is kind of ridiculous because I'm the one who made the thread. Had I not made this thread, would any of it have ever been acknowledged? Any of it? At all?
So, are you expecting to have all of the actions against you personally acknowledged? or for everyone? Because, though my time as mod has been relatively short, I've made them. And I've even had private discussions with people similar to this and said the same thing, and surprise surprise, they don't think I'm gunning for them or colluding with others.

Still. Absolutely zero people have acknowledged that Tristram's actions crossed the line. So this idea that I'm moving the goal posts because I said "All I wanted was an acknowledgement that moderation agrees that Tristram crossed a line and that it is being taken seriously" is silly becuase... no one has done that yet.

I still cannot see your PNGs. That is worrisome to me, as I've looked on 3 different devices and 4 different networks. I'd love to see them. I'd like to compare to them to the deleted text. However, the deletion of the posts would be acknowledgement. I assume, from this being obvious and your claim that it is sweeping it under the rug, you want public excoriation of Tristram. I don't think we have a standing policy on that, but I'm pretty sure that is not going to happen.

Try a group DM. It has ALWAYS been an option. Always. I think you know that.

What was actually pointed out was that Endless was indeed the final authority and that there's no point in trying to get mods to overrule him. Which is, y'know, pretty obviously the case.

Raleel, I reached out to an admin, and then a super moderator. One did not respond at all. The other responded that my only option was to make a post in the moderation thread (the only one I saw was a joke one, and I didn't know if that was the "official" one so I made my own post).

A Fiery Flying Roll A Fiery Flying Roll can you please just confirm that you did in fact tell me that was my recourse in this situation. I was going to pull the exact quote, but I don't like posting screenshots and such of the exact things sent in PMs (obviously I'll post my own because I'm the one who made them, and it doesn't have the same privacy concerns for me).

Like I'm sitting here feeling like I'm getting attacked because I did exactly what I was told were my options in this situation.

The specific quote (I can't be arsed with a screenshot but I hope you trust me to just C&P as is).

The quck answer is that it's absolutely fruitless trying to appeal an Endless decision with me or any other mod. He's the last line of appeal and the final decision maker. That just is. The only real option there if you want to take it is the moderation thread.

That said (and I'm not sure from your post if this is what you want?) if you want your post edited or deleted same as Tristam's that seems fair. Let me know if so and I'll sort it for you (when I get back from buying food in a few hours).

So yeah, I did tell you specifically if you disagreed with an Endless decision that the only possibility is the moderation thread. Which is still the case; Endless does have the final say on board policy which I think everyone accepts.

I didn't point out that it was unreasonable to expect 24 hour turnarounds because I was on my way out and it didn' t occur to me until I got back. But it is and to be fair I'm pretty sure I've told you that before, I can dig out the quotes if you want.

Other bits if you prefer me to paraphrase.

As your original complaint seemed to be partly that it was unfair that deleted posts made you look bad I offered to let you do the same and delete or edit your posts for you, which you decided against as is your right.

I said that admin status was only considred relevant when talking about admin actions, not people acting as cases. I pretty bluntly stated that wasn't going to change and that's still the case in my view.

I mentioned that I try not to moderate threads I've been active in, especially ones with arguments and that applies here. (I don't think that's a surprise to anyone; it's always been my personal position).

Think that's it, just so we're caught up completely.

Also to clarify for Raleel: The screenshots are just screenshots of my own PMs to Endless.

Everything Tristram said I did not catch screenshots of. Because they were deleted and I didn't think I'd need to screenshot them before they disappeared.

The first screenshot is just me saying "this is 100% not acceptable" with a link to the post in which Tristram made personal attacks against me.

The second screenshot is this:

So is telling people to drop the subject after he made personal attacks against me the extent of what is going to happen.

Like, not even replying privately to say you agree that he crossed a line and you would bring it up with him.

Cause that was straight up character assassination. I never once insulted him in that conversation. I just said my opinion on the video. And he goes in with this whole thing about how she "clearly made me mad" and acting like I'm the type of person to attack someone on twitter/youtube.

The video was brought up here, I gave my opinion on it. And Tristram acted like a total jackass about it because he didn't like what I had to say.

This is only here for completeness in case someone can't see them.

I really don't know who said what to who and why or when, nor do I particularily care. But don't chase off Norton. I used to steal his quotes for my sig back in the day.

Just for the record, mods can see Tristram's posts and we'd be able to see it if they'd been edited. (They haven't, just deleted unless my lack of tech is making me dumb there).

I really don't know who said what to who and why or when, nor do I particularily care. But don't chase off Norton. I used to steal his quotes for my sig back in the day.
Norton is not going to be banned for this thread or for disagreeing with people in it. I can say that without even bothering to consult.

Also I want to stress again: Until Raleel's post accusing me of lying and moving goalposts, my ONLY responses in this thread were direct responses to questions asked of me.

I was waiting for Endless to respond as he said he didn't have time at the moment.

I only said anything other than direct responses when Raleel decided it was time to go in on me.

I want to make clear that at no time did I say or imply that a public post wasn't going to meet with criticism. At least not in my view, I apologise if that wasn't clear.

Until Raleel's post accusing me of lying
that's fair, and I apologize for that, but in my defense, I still cannot see your screenshots and was not aware of WHAT they were until after the lines above.

Last edited:
Out of interest, what's the time between Endless not replying and you deciding he wasn't going to ever? Because I'm pretty sure I've said explictly to you before that expecting 24 hour turnarounds is not and never will be reasonable. This isn't a paid customer service job and you can't expect the mods to prioritise replying to stuff like this over anything else in their lives. Personally I'd suggest that at least a week should pass before people decide they're being ignored. (And this is a really short period of time compared to elsewhere).
To add to this, Tristram is the night shift guy, so we haven't even had a chance to talk to him about any of this.

To add to this, Tristram is the night shift guy, so we haven't even had a chance to talk to him about any of this.
My frustration was in the fact that I got no response at all. Not even a "Hey, yeah, that sucks, we'll look into it." or a "I don't have much time right now, let me get back to you."

Honestly, I don't know how to make the "do not expect people to get back to you instantly" thing more explicit without getting draconian about it. (It really doesn't feel like this is something where mod action should be necessary, but equally it's an issue that blows up semi-reguarly and I'm at a loss how to solve it. I'm afraid "promise to reply quickly" is a non-starter for various reasons).

Honestly, If it had been someone else. If it had been a problem I had with CRK. Or Tenbones. Or any of the other people I've had dustups with in the past, the whole "hey don't expect a response with any speed" would be a bit more palatable.

But this is a situation where the person second in charge of the entire site made a personal attack against me. Surely that shouldn't be happening often enough that responding with any speed would be an imposition?

Like, do you not think that that is a situation that requires a bit more of a swift response?

Also, do you want to make a bet what would have happened had I waited a week after messaging Endless before messaging you, and then another week after messaging you if you didn't respond, and then made this thread? I would make a very very strong bet that the response would be "why are you bringing up stuff from two weeks ago, let it die".

Last edited:
Honestly, If it had been someone else. If it had been a problem I had with CRK. Or Tenbones. Or any of the other people I've had dustups with in the past, the whole "hey don't expect a response with any speed" would be a bit more palatable.

But this is a situation where the person second in charge of the entire site made a personal attack against me. Surely that shouldn't be happening often enough that responding with any speed would be an imposition?

Like, do you not think that that is a situation that requires a bit more of a swift response?

It is absolutely an imposition. It is an imposition to assume that any member of staff has nothing else going on in their lives that takes priority. It is an imposition to assume that replying to you is always going to take precedence over everything else on the board. It is an imposition to think you have the right to give us deadllines.

Sorry, I can't speak for anyone else on this one but as far as I'm concerned this is not something I will be backing down on. There is no situation in which I will support you or anyone else treating the mods as your personal staff at your beck and call.

There is no expectation of a "swift response". Full stop. Would it be reasonable if we gave you 24 hours to reply to something or face moderation action? Of course not.

Also, do you want to make a bet what would have happened had I waited a week after messaging Endless before messaging you, and then another week after messaging you if you didn't respond, and then made this thread? I would make a very very strong bet that the response would be "why are you bringing up stuff from two weeks ago, let it die".
If you'd messaged me after a week I'd have told you to send Endless a reminder. Because you could have fairly said "I did say I wanted action on this and haven't heard back".

If I understand, your position is that the more important an issue is, the lower the amount of time that should be spent considering it?

You want to know what else I did today in between finding time to reply to you? I took my partner to the physio where she's gradually learning to walk. I rang my friend whose wife passed away last year because it was her birthday and I wanted to check he was ok. I did some of the work that pays for me to keep a roof over our heads and food in our bellies. If your life is one of idle leisure I'm genuinely happy for you, but that isn't the case for most of us and I'm afraid that yes, "Norton is offended because of something said on a message board" isn't ever likely to be prioritised over everything else.

Listen, this week has literally been the busiest week in the five years the Pub has existed, by multitudes. We (the mods) have all had to spend loads of time catching up on just reading the posts themselves. What used to be caught up over a cup of coffee now takes hours. I still haven’t read 50% of the posts here in the last week. I’ve had to skim. That’s with the addition of two new moderators this month.

Also, I was waiting for Tristram to log in so that we could talk to him and he could chime in here. I’ll just say this now; no one is going to be punished. I told everyone to knock it off and that’s it. If it had continued then further action might be necessary. Nothing continued so I dropped it, like I do most mod calls I make. I didn’t answer your PM because I took a break (for me) being a mod and watched football yesterday.

If I understand, your position is that the more important an issue is, the lower the amount of time that should be spent considering it?
Man, it is almost like I said that literally ANY response, including "Hey I don't have time to respond to this, let me get back to you later" would have been acceptable.

Also this is exactly what I expect every single time I have a problem with moderation on this forum. It is 100% any time anyone complains about moderation, they are the problem. The moderation team will zero in one thing that they can shit on and then turn the whole thread into "Welp, see, you were the problem all along".

Notice that all I've said I wanted was any acknowledgement by the moderation team that Tristram was out of line and that it was being taken seriously.

Only two members of the moderation team have not responded in this thread, one of which is Tristram. And you know what absolutely all of you have done other than Endless (who just said he would respond later, which I do respect, and I look forward to hearing his response).

Find fault with me. Not a single one of you have said a single thing about what Tristram did. it is all 100% about me.

Not a single one of you has said you thought Tristram was out of line.

Everyone has all the time in the world to tell me how much I suck apparently, but none of y'all have the time to address Tristram attacking me.

Notice that all I've said I wanted was any acknowledgement by the moderation that Tristram was out of line and that it was being taken seriously.
So you wanted a decision in your favour before it had even been discussed? That was never going to be on the cards.
Only two members of the moderation team have not responded in this thread, one of which is Tristram. And you know what absolutely all of you have done other than Endless (who just said he would respond later, which I do respect, and I look forward to hearing his response).
Tristram hasn't been online yet.
Find fault with me. Not a single one of you have said a single thing about what Tristram did. it is all 100% about me.

Not a single one of you has said you thought Tristram was out of line.
How many times have I told you to stop expecting 24 hour turnarounds? I'm sick of having to explain it again and again. And I've tried being nice about it previously and it obviously hasn't worked.
Everyone has all the time in the world to tell me how much I suck apparently, but none of y'all have the time to address Tristram attacking me.
Have you considered that maybe we're waiting for Tristram to be on so he can give his perspective? It seems unjust that you expect a ruling to be made when only one of you has had the opportunity to give their side of the story. How would you feel if Tristram had started this thread about you and you weren't on to reply so it was automatically decided that we'd go completely with his side of things?

So yeah, if your complaint is "I should get my own way here without Tristram's view even being considered" let's discuss that and cut out all this flim flam.

I would love to know what fucking perspective you think makes what he said about me not over the line.

Seriously.

Also, come the fuck on. You have punished me and many others for less with much less time considering, and you sure as hell didn't consult with me and get my perspective first. Just bam, threadbanned, deleted posts, no communication at all. There is an entire thread about it that CRKrueger CRKrueger started about stealth modding that I linked upthread. Hell, neither of us even knew exactly what happened because no one even said anything to us. We didn't even know WHAT the mods found objectionable.

But Tristram now, you have to talk to him first. You have to get his side before coming to a conclusion on whether him personally attacking me was ok or not.

And all of y'all want to act like he is being treated like he was posting as a regular user.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back