Whatever happened to the "Fading Suns" generic system?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Aglondir

Well-Known Pubber
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia:

"In 2007 Holistic Design licensed Fading Suns to RedBrick, and in 2012 the license passed to FASA Games, Inc, which released a revised edition of Fading Suns later that year."

If memory serves, there was more to the story. The lead designer created a bunch of new material, but for some reason he was let go. They decided not to use his work, made some minor changes, and released the revised edition.

Shortly thereafter, the designer intended to release a generic version of the rules he created. I once knew his name, the system's name, and I even signed up on his website. However, I've long since forgotten everything. The best I can recall is the system had an astronomical ring to it, like eclipse or solstice. Does anyone have any more info?

I'm not interested in reigniting a controversy. I'm interested in what happened with the generic system, since it seemed to have promise.

I was under the impression the lackluster response to Noble Armada killed it, but I don't know anything for certain

Was the rpg called Equinox? I vaguely recall an announcement or product page for this on RedBrick's site many years ago. If so, there's a blog post that reviews the setting and system, and it was produced by a publisher called Vagrant Workshop. I don't recall what Fading Suns' system was like, but the blog post makes the system sound like Shadowrun.

Was the rpg called Equinox? I vaguely recall an announcement or product page for this on RedBrick's site many years ago. If so, there's a blog post that reviews the setting and system, and it was produced by a publisher called Vagrant Workshop. I don't recall what Fading Suns' system was like, but the blog post makes the system sound like Shadowrun.
Equinox wasn't related to Fading Suns. It was the further future of the Shadowrun/Earthdawn setting,

I recall the proposed system for 3rd edition Fading Suns, but I don't think anything ever came of it. I believe Carsten Damm was the designer for it. I expect life just distracted him from ever getting the game together in a finished form. He certainly would have had an easy time Kickstarting it around the time of the controversy. I don't know how many people have it on their radar now.

I think I found it. The designer's name is Angus McNicholl. He does indeed work on Equinox, but that's not the system I'm looking for. The system is called Dark Stars/Infinity Core, where the latter is the name of the generic engine and the former is a space fantasy incarnation. His blog is here, last entry February 2013. :

http://gamersdev.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/infinity core

It looks like IC is in draft form; he mentions a 95-page playtest doc, but I can't find a link. I can find bits and pieces of the system on the blog (skill system, wound track, etc.) Great stuff, but he decided to switch from a D20 core mechanic to a D10, which kills it for me (too granular.)

That's it! Thanks a million. I've been working on my own D20 roll-under system, and it's amazing how many of my ideas are like Angus'. Maybe they have steeped in my unconscious all these years. I really like the way he does extended tests. I'm not sold yet on the "repuation pool" working like social hit points, but maybe it will grow on me.

From what I understand Bill Bridges' will be crowdfunding a new edition of Fading Suns this fall, so I'm assuming any licensee lost the rights to FS and assumed the FS system wouldn't be a big seller.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back