What’s a critically acclaimed RPG you don’t like?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm not your good sir :smile: but do recommend Tunnels & Trolls as a good alternative for dungeoncrawls to D&D.

I'll prod the bear :hehe: So, good sir, which version of Tunnels and Trolls would you recommend? And why? What pros and cons are there of each version?

Disclaimer: I post on trollbridge too so I'm a long time fan of T&T. Never was able to buy a copy of DT&T so considering 7th but one thing I am noticing as I read/re-read the rules is that they aren't explained in the best way (referring to the Corgi version and 7/7.5). The rules are easy, the writing/explanations make them seem crunchier than they are. T&T needs more love! It needs an easy, good to look at and available to get hold of box set/starter edition to get the kids away from that new fangled 5th edition of the worlds oldest blah blah though.

I'll prod the bear :hehe: So, good sir, which version of Tunnels and Trolls would you recommend? And why? What pros and cons are there of each version?

Disclaimer: I post on trollbridge too so I'm a long time fan of T&T. Never was able to buy a copy of DT&T so considering 7th but one thing I am noticing as I read/re-read the rules is that they aren't explained in the best way (referring to the Corgi version and 7/7.5). The rules are easy, the writing/explanations make them seem crunchier than they are. T&T needs more love! It needs an easy, good to look at and available to get hold of box set/starter edition to get the kids away from that new fangled 5th edition of the worlds oldest blah blah though.
Why, thank you for asking :smile: I play dT&T (deluxe or 8th) these days, with the addition of Monster special abilities from 7e.

I play it (over the others) because I like the power up for Warriors of bonus dice/level, and the additional ability for humans of a reroll on a failed save. I also like the advancement mechanic of buying attributes directly rather than as a perk from an increased level, I think it's elegant. I also prefer Wizardry as the spell power stat over strength because it eliminates a number of issues (power lifter wizards, encumbrance level and adds tracking).

However 5e is a beautifully written (the best written IMO) version of the game, and only needs the 5.5e changes of spite damage and a spell power stat for me to be perfectly happy to play it.

All versions of T&T are effectively backwards compatible as the core systems have not changed, and while the effect of Monster Rating may be tweaked a bit from version to version, the core principle is the same.

I have never played 1-4e, though I have the PDFs of 1e & 4e. They have their advocates.

6e is the 'fan' or 'illegal' edition. I have it , and it is a fair 'lower numbers' version of T&T but I have always been happy with big numbers in my T&T.

7e added a few good things, also some fiddly bits that added complexity without more fun.

So dT&T because it's the classic chassis with some additions I like.

If using deluxe I'd still use the weapons and armour list from 5e, just because of how flavourful they are.

The first rpg I played was D&D 3.5 which I followed up with 5E. I liked both until I tried out other rpgs but now I know that a rpg doesn’t need to be so cumbersome and slow.

We used to have combat encounters that took 2-3 hours to finish which is actually way too long. This only became worse as the PCs leveled up and had to fight bigger and badder monsters with higher HP.

I like the character options in 3rd edition better than 5th but there should have been ways to speed it up a bit.

I’ve given an answer on this thread already, but… the more of their product I read, and the more unwillingness I see in my area to play anything else, I’m inclined to answer this with WotC D&D 5E at this point.
Hey man I see you are a fellow Hyperborea fan. If 5e is the only game in town I think you might find Into the Unknown a compromise that is to your liking. It's basically a B/X treatment of 5e and I highly recommend it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back