What's sitting on your bathroom bookshelf?

zweihander

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I read a lot. At work, in bed and in the bathroom. This is what has been sitting on my bathroom bookshelf since I started writing the follow-up to Zweihänder.

Do you read in the bathroom? If so, what’s sitting on your bathroom bookshelf? I will give away the Zweihänder pre-release GM Screen to the best submission next Monday. Show me your stuff...err, bathroom bookshelf (if you have one)!

K_Peterson

Elder Thing
Reaction score
I don't read in the bathroom. My bathroom's a little small to accommodate a bookshelf anyway. (And call me weird, but I find it unsanitary - or maybe just unpleasant - to store and read books in the bathroom. It's probably just my weird idiosyncracies).

I read in bed, and in the living room, but there's not much I'd be able to take a photo of. An old Surface RT for browsing Rpg PDFs; a Kindle Paperwhite for novels; once in a while, a single Rpg or dead-tree book.

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Reaction score
I don't read in the bathroom. My bathroom's a little small to accommodate a bookshelf anyway. (And call me weird, but I find it unsanitary - or maybe just unpleasant - to store and read books in the bathroom. It's probably just my weird idiosyncracies).

I read in bed, and in the living room, but there's not much I'd be able to take a photo of. An old Surface RT for browsing Rpg PDFs; a Kindle Paperwhite for novels; once in a while, a single Rpg or dead-tree book.
One friend of mine said looking at someone's bookshelves these days tells you what they were into in 2010. Everything since then is on their Kindle etc. Similar to how a phone number tells you where they lived in 2003 or when they turned 16.

Endless Flight

Rise Above
Administrator
Reaction score
I keep asking myself why we have a home phone. 99% of our calls are telemarketers.

Bunch

Reaction score
I keep asking myself why we have a home phone. 99% of our calls are telemarketers.
The only reason we're contemplating getting one is so our five year old could call 911 if one of us was somehow incapacitated. I haven't had a home phone since 1999. I didn't even wire my last house for one. I did put cat6 all over the place though.

zweihander

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The only reason we're contemplating getting one is so our five year old could call 911 if one of us was somehow incapacitated. I haven't had a home phone since 1999. I didn't even wire my last house for one. I did put cat6 all over the place though.
Our home alarm system is wireless, and I cannot honestly remember the last time I had a landline.

We're holding out for Alexa to be able to call 911. Our 17 month old already recognizes her, and calls her name to play songs. She doesn't quite recognize his voice yet. We've used it in the bedroom for ambient noise to drown out sounds in our house while he sleeps.

In fact, there's a very interesting story I listened to on NPR last month about children growing up with AI in the home (and how they begin to personify them as a member of the family).

edit - found it! https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/10/30/559863326/alexa-are-you-safe-for-my-kids

Shipyard Locked

Legendary Member
Reaction score
One friend of mine said looking at someone's bookshelves these days tells you what they were into in 2010. Everything since then is on their Kindle etc.
I have a lot of dead-tree books stashed for a possible future where the internet is much less free and fast. I'm only half joking, but if I'm honest I must accept that a future with severely curtailed internet will also likely be a future where recreational reading cannot be a priority.

noman

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Same with me. We don't store our books in or near the bathrooms or kitchen, due to the increase of moisture and possible sanitation issues. We're real OCD about our books.

noman

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of dead-tree books stashed for a possible future where the internet is much less free and fast. I'm only half joking, but if I'm honest I must accept that a future with severely curtailed internet will also likely be a future where recreational reading cannot be a priority.
The only electronic books I buy are RPGs. I prefer my books in physical format rather than digital, as I tend to mark a book as I read.

Something something Luddite, something something get off my lawn.

The Butcher

Rifts Grognard
Reaction score
The only electronic books I buy are RPGs. I prefer my books in physical format rather than digital, as I tend to mark a book as I read.

Something something Luddite, something something get off my lawn.
I embraced electronic formats wholeheartedly... until my kid was born. I grew up amidst books and I ascribe my love of reading in no small part to it — so now I want my kid to reach out and pick up a book when he’s able to read.

I still default to electronic for RPGs and sillier fiction. But I often catch myself wondering whether I should pick up The Expanse or The Lies of Locke Lamora in hardcopy for the kid to read some day...

Endless Flight

Rise Above
Administrator
Reaction score
I don’t have a lot of room in our condo for piles of crap, so I’ve decided to go totally digital for movies and music (Amazon & Spotify) and I buy books physically. The thing is, I am very picky about what I buy. If I think I would only read a book once, I probably won’t buy it. This has also become the norm for my comic purchases. I won’t buy trades using the same rule.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
lol, yeah, alot of my reading is done in the throneroom.

I have a nice little shelf just above the toilet that has a rotating series of whatever I'm currently perusing...

Apparition

New Generation Grognard
Administrator
Reaction score
I don’t have a lot of room in our condo for piles of crap, so I’ve decided to go totally digital for movies and music (Amazon & Spotify) and I buy books physically. The thing is, I am very picky about what I buy. If I think I would only read a book once, I probably won’t buy it. This has also become the norm for my comic purchases. I won’t buy trades using the same rule.
I hear you. I live in a condominium as well, and had to stop buying print comic books and graphic novels six years ago because I simply ran out of room with the thousands that I already had. Now, the only print books I still buy are reference books, and RPG core rulebooks and GM screens. Comic books, graphic novels, fiction short stories and novels, music, and video games are entirely digital. Besides reference books and RPG core rulebooks and GM screens, the only other thing I still buy physically are movies and television shows that I simply must have on 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray, (like the Kelvin Timeline Star Trek films). 4K Ultra HD video content uses a lot of Internet bandwidth, and the only ISP available is Comcast, soooo....

Bunch

Reaction score
Does anyone wonder if the switch to smaller living spaces and the necessity to go Digital will result in a resurgence in collectibles in 20 years? Kids who were only allowed to have a digital copy because their parents didn't want to waste the space finally forking over cash for hardcopies once they are making real money.

Nick J

Members Only
Reaction score
Anybody getting a flashback to that Seinfeld episode where George goes into the bookstore bathroom and is forced to buy the book, but can't return it or even give it away to Goodwill because it's "flagged?"

Yeah, that how I feel about reading on the crapper. Nasty.

Endless Flight

Rise Above
Administrator
Reaction score
Seinfeld just can’t be topped for certain subjects.

My daughter’s favorite candy bar is Twix and when she asks for one, I go “Twiiiiiiiiiiiiix!” If anybody hasn’t seen that episode, you must.

Bunch

Reaction score
I'm e-books, hardcopy, both buying and checking out from the library. I don't read much in my bathrooms, the downstairs one is too small. Just about every other room has one or more book shelves. Last pdf on the reader was M-Space, last e-book was some H Beam Piper from project Gutenberg. Hardcopy on my nightstand is Dashiell Hammett's "The Dain Curse".
I love Piper. It's a universe that absolutely stops for a half our to have cocktails before dinner. And then meets for drinks after.

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Reaction score
:shock: Nooooo! :worried: Think of your anus! :cry: When your anus gets mad, anus hurts back! :angry::irritated: :crap::storm: :skeleton::beat::weep:

(Seriously, though, beware angry anus. :angel:)

Ronin

Gentleman of Leisure
Reaction score
Our home alarm system is wireless, and I cannot honestly remember the last time I had a landline.

We're holding out for Alexa to be able to call 911. Our 17 month old already recognizes her, and calls her name to play songs. She doesn't quite recognize his voice yet. We've used it in the bedroom for ambient noise to drown out sounds in our house while he sleeps.

In fact, there's a very interesting story I listened to on NPR last month about children growing up with AI in the home (and how they begin to personify them as a member of the family).

edit - found it! https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/10/30/559863326/alexa-are-you-safe-for-my-kids
Reminds me of a commercial I saw the other day. An old couple in bed yelling for alexa to turn off the lamp. WHen there is no alexa.

Rich Harkrader

Decrapitated
Reaction score
On my bathroom reading shelf I have:
The Stand by Stephen King
Turning Wood by Richard Raffan
Fixtures and Chuck's for Woodturning by Doc Green

Baulderstone

Reaction score
Dune Encyclopedia? I'm jelly AF. :ooh:
Same here. I had that as a kid, but I have no idea where I lost it. I got it as gift when I was ten, and I read it before I actually read Dune. It was a similar experience to reading a licensed RPG and its supplements before you read the original property.
I embraced electronic formats wholeheartedly... until my kid was born. I grew up amidst books and I ascribe my love of reading in no small part to it — so now I want my kid to reach out and pick up a book when he’s able to read.
I don't have kids, but I have nephews. Between their parents, grandparents and me, they already have enough physical books to get them through childhood and we have no intention of stopping.

Personally, I have gone digital on books, but I think the physical artifact is important for children.
Books are so 20th century.

You are supposed to take your phone to the bathroom and do your Facebook status updates.
I split the difference and have at least half of my phone's storage space dedicated to ebooks. You never know when you will need a copy of The Night Land, so I like to be ready.

Bunch

Reaction score
What's making my anus mad?

You are supposed to take your phone to the bathroom and do your Facebook status updates.
The bathroom is one of the few places I can do anything in peace and quiet and that's only if I remember to lock the door. Toddlers have no concept of personal space.

Bunch

Reaction score
I think one of Gladwells books found one of the few things that correlated highly across all incomes and education levels with success in school was number of books. Not sure how the PDF age will effect that. I know I love history and engineering because my house was filled with those books growing up.

Ladybird

TRAHR
Reaction score

Show me someone who says they have never took their iPad to the bathroom, and I will show you a liar.

---

We don't have a bookshelf in the bathroom. But I did complete a not-insignificant portion of Breath of the Wild while on the throne, and what other home console can be played like that?

---

I think one of Gladwells books found one of the few things that correlated highly across all incomes and education levels with success in school was number of books. Not sure how the PDF age will effect that. I know I love history and engineering because my house was filled with those books growing up.
I've got a feeling it's that people with more books tend to be more inquisitive and caring about continual development; I'm not sure the format will matter as much as the attitude behind it.

Still, we'll see.

Bunch

Reaction score
Show me someone who says they have never took their iPad to the bathroom, and I will show you a liar.

---

We don't have a bookshelf in the bathroom. But I did complete a not-insignificant portion of Breath of the Wild while on the throne, and what other home console can be played like that?

---

I've got a feeling it's that people with more books tend to be more inquisitive and caring about continual development; I'm not sure the format will matter as much as the attitude behind it.

Still, we'll see.
I'd agree but it's much harder to stumble upon your parents books when you have to take the device away from them to do so. When my father read a book it was different.
1) I knew it was a book he was reading not just surfing the web on his phone.
2) I knew what the title was.
3) it had a cover for me to remember graphically. To this day I can remember my dad's geographic history of the world due to it's odd black and yellow cover.
4) not sure what to call this but grabbing a book off the shelf didn't require permission, knowledge, taking of a device. I was free to investigate and fail to understand without any acknowledgement by others.

The Kindle is great for me but I can't see it being as great for my kids to wander and explore with.

Apparition

New Generation Grognard
Administrator
Reaction score
IIRC, Amazon sells inexpensive Kindle Fire tablets specifically for children that you can lock down. When your child is old enough to read on his or her own, that may be an option instead of sharing your device. I have no idea if they are any good though, or if they're able to be locked down sufficiently.

Bunch

Reaction score
IIRC, Amazon sells inexpensive Kindle Fire tablets specifically for children that you can lock down. When your child is old enough to read on his or her own, that may be an option instead of sharing your device. I have no idea if they are any good though, or if they're able to be locked down sufficiently.
I'll let you know after Christmas. I bought several for the kids

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Dune Encyclopedia? I'm jelly AF. :ooh:
Same here. I had that as a kid, but I have no idea where I lost it. I got it as gift when I was ten, and I read it before I actually read Dune. It was a similar experience to reading a licensed RPG and its supplements before you read the original property.

I don't think the book is very rare, in the late 90s I saw copies everywhere. Probably just ebay sellers driving up prices. But I come across copies for pretty cheap on a semi-regular basis. Next time I find one, I'll post it here.

Baulderstone

Reaction score
Thanks. I never came across used copies when I used to frequent used bookstores, and people used to always be jealous of my copy (which may be connected with it disappearing), so I just assumed it was rare. I was just holding out and hoping for the new movie to prompt a reprint.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Thanks. I never came across used copies when I used to frequent used bookstores, and people used to always be jealous of my copy (which may be connected with it disappearing), so I just assumed it was rare. I was just holding out and hoping for the new movie to prompt a reprint.

I think Herbert's son is keeping it from being reprinted. Despite Frank collaborating on it and declaring it Official, when Brian Herbert took over the series and decided to write his own version of the Butlerian Jihad, he explicitly went online and declared the Encyclopedia ''not cannon'' and dismissed it as a fan work.

Baulderstone

Reaction score
I think Herbert's son is keeping it from being reprinted. Despite Frank collaborating on it and declaring it Official, when Brian Herbert took over the series and decided to write his own version of the Butlerian Jihad, he explicitly went online and declared the Encyclopedia ''not cannon'' and dismissed it as a fan work.
In that case I better snag a copy now before the movie potentially drives up the demand.

Stevethulhu

Lord of the Pies
Reaction score
I'm just happy to see that someone else has the same edition of Stormbringer as I do. And that Warhammer Battle 3rd ed is still getting some love. I know a great way to glue the pages back in if you're having problems with either of those books ;)

Asfor bathroom reading, mine is currently a one volume Chronicles of the Runestaff.