What's your Favourite Dinosaur?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
I came across this meme today...

273363312_3073083639607825_6426560808862420973_n.jpg

...and I thought about it and was like "that's true - and kinda sad". So I thought that I'd do something about that.

Hence here is this thread, to ask you what (or maybe even "who") is your favourite dinosaur/prehistoric beasty?

This one

schlock20200724a.jpg

Early on, it was the t-rex. T-rex was cool. But now I can admit that the way people have been making fun of their tiny arms bothers. T-rex may not be cool after all.

As for the other dinosaurs, it was so hard to settle on one. Stegosaurus had those awesome back plates and thagomisers on the tail. Ankylosarus looks like if you get in its way, your only option is to move. Tricerotops is like something I would have invented out of lego if it didn't already exist. They're all my favourite!

This thread has me tempted to put a mini anklyosaurus in my current Dungeon of the Mad Mage campaign as a wandering monster. Let's see what the players do with it.
Do it! I'd adopt it, but that's me. "Have some leafy-leafs/grassy-grass my omega turtle of doom!"

Wow I am legit surprised at the popularity of herbivorous dinosaurs on this thread. I assumed my preference for giant carnivores with teeth like daggers was drearily commonplace. My spouse said triceratops without hesitation and she wants to tame one in our Carcosa game.

Dimetridon, although it's not actually a dinosaur. First dino model kit my dad ever bought me when I was about 5.

Allosaurus was second.

Papo do some really nice vinyl dino models, better painted and proportioned than Schleich.

I mean, everybody likes the Rex, it's just sort of assumed. I like to think it's because, save the lack of wings, it's really the closest any actually animal has come to the mythological dragon.

Aside from that, I've always had a soft spot for styracosaurus:

746px-Styracosaurus_dinosaur.png

Hilarious epilogue: my spellchecker keeps wanting to amend styracosaurus to tyrannosaurus. :errr:

Tankosaurus one of my favorite too rarely played superheroic PC's. It's odd, I'd never considered making a superhero based on my favorite dinosaur, until I happened to be reading the animal section of a supers game and saw the dinosaurs and went AHAH (sadly it didn't have an Anklyosaurus as an example.)

TANKOSAURUS col final.jpg

The deinonychus. Though surprisingly not because of Jurassic Park.

When I was a kid, they made the most rad toyline concept ever: Dino-Riders. My favorite toys were the deinonychus ones. It looked like it would be so cool to ride.

Though the perception of what they looked like then and now is a bit different :tongue:.

I remember Dino Riders. There was a short-lived wave of dinosaur cartoons/toylines in the late 80's, the aforementioned, and Dinosaucers, and Denver the Last Dinosaur.

Thanks to Spielberg and Jurassic park/world, it's velociraptors all the way. The giant claw...the pack hunting...it's all good baby!

Thanks to Spielberg and Jurassic park/world, it's velociraptors all the way. The giant claw...the pack hunting...it's all good baby!
There's been a couple of developments in palaeontology since then. Turns out velociraptor was about knee-high to a human. Utahraptor is pretty much what we see in Jurassic Park, tho'.

There's been a couple of developments in palaeontology since then. Turns out velociraptor was about knee-high to a human. Utahraptor is pretty much what we see in Jurassic Park, tho'.
Crichton literally used the name Velociraptor even though at the time they knew what size it was. He just liked the name more than the dinosaur he actually portrayed, which was the Deinonychus.

This thread has me tempted to put a mini anklyosaurus in my current Dungeon of the Mad Mage campaign as a wandering monster. Let's see what the players do with it.
I stated him up and was all prepare to have him show up as a wandering monster. They went to skullport which I was not prepared for at all. I'm going to have him in a pet shop.

Favorite dinosaur is stegosaurus, because it had the cool armor, but my favorite beast from any prehistoric era is the wooly mammoth.

Anklyosaurus all day every day, what with his tail that let him smash the ankles of people who bugged him. Steggy is great too, and is probably second place. but Swoop was my favorite Dinobot.

I've always liked the sauropods. No species in particular, though the largest ones are the most impressive for sure.

sauropod-dinosaurs-set-3d-render-2CT4MBD.jpg

Pachycephalosaurus is a fun one that deserves a shoutout.

il_fullxfull.2100075148_rx5w.jpg

Triceratops and some of the other Ceratopia are cool, as is Ankylosaurus.

Iguanodon deserves mention as it was one of the first dinosaurs discovered and there's a pretty cool exhibit of multiple specimens in Brussels.

7VoWbLnsz0e1_mW_UzAp2UR4pzqTGD-9xbF0FMz2q9gZUrBF-ibVbphbFPrZ=s1200

Last edited:
I feel like my username outs my dinosaur preference.
Really though I like pterosaurs a lot, with Quetzalcoatlus having a special place in my heart. My father used to volunteer at the local elementary school and bring a to scale outline of the Quetzalcoatlus made out of PVC pipe to show the kindergarten how big it was.
After Pterosaurs it's a toss up between therapods and various sea based creatures like the plesiosaurs.

Crichton literally used the name Velociraptor even though at the time they knew what size it was. He just liked the name more than the dinosaur he actually portrayed, which was the Deinonychus.

He used it because he was influenced by Gregory S. Paul's Predatory Dinosaurs of the World. Paul grouped several of the sickle-claw dinosaurs under the genus Velociraptor because in his opinion, the difference between Velociraptor and Deinonychus was about the same as the difference between a jackal and a wolf, both of which are grouped under the genus Canis (under the Linnaean system, the older name takes precedence).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back