What's your most-used condiment?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
Mine is probably Tapatio hot sauce. I put it on tacos, of course, but also eggs, and pizza, and pretty much anything that seems like it needs a little bit of liquid and/ or zip.

Soy sauce, or jamaican hot sauce (In moderation). I like spicy food, but not too much, I want to be able to taste my meal and enjoy it rather than just taste pain.

A few that I use on a regular basis, or would if I could get hold of them.
  • ABC sauce (an Indonesian chilli sauce my wife likes).
  • Kecap Manis (a sweet soy sauce from Indonesia - the expats all like Bango but it's hard to find here).
  • Sweet chilli sauce
  • Chilli sauces - various, at the moment I have a bottle of Tropical Sun scotch bonnet. I tried one called Gringo Bandito the other day. Not a fan of the ultra-hot naga sauces like Megadeath.
  • Occasionally tomato sauce
  • Barker's apricot and plum sauces, which are also hard to get hold of outside New Zealand.
  • Duck and hoisin sauce.
  • I made a yoghurt and cucumber sauce the other day, which I used to do from time to time but haven't in a while.
  • Vinaigrettes - very easy to make up quickly. Something sour (vinegar, lime juice etc), something sweet (sugar, honey, agave) to take the edge of the sour. Salt to taste, Oil and whatever flavouring and emulsifying agents take your fancy. Mustard is favourite because it acts as an emulisifier but you can use all sorts.
I quite like finger chillies and jalapenos from time to time but my internals only have a finite capacity for chlli.

Tabasco always goes on eggs in pretty much any form, including quiche.

Spicy mustard on sandwiches and burgers. Sometimes. Any more, if I get a burger, I usually go someplace with great burgers, awesome meat and fresh ingredients, and eschew condiments altogether.

Mayo only on those rare occasions when I eat a BLT.

Ketchup is only good on meatloaf and fries, other than that it can f*** right off.

I do like certain condiments. Sriracha, HP Sauce, horseradish, soy, ponzu. But I don't really have to have any condiment. The condiment is there to complement the food. It's not the focus.

Gochujang. It is so good. (though I guess it itself isn't a condiment, but I tend to make lots of actual condiments from it). Ssamjang & kochujang are both made from gochujang and they are amazing.

A good bajan pepper sauce is also really delicious.

Also, Sriracha is the most overrated hot sauce that has ever existed. It has so few notes of flavor. It tastes like spicy garlicky ketchup.

Not much of a condiment person (unless olive oil counts), but I do like cooking up my own mango chutney.

I don’t use green mangoes because (1) ripe mangoes are so much tastier and (2) using ripe mangoes allows me to NOT add any sugar.

I start with low heat, a little olive oil and bloom cumin, coriander, turmeric, grated ginger and chopped, de-seeded chilies. After a few minutes I add chopped mangoes (with whatever juice they might be giving off), add salt and vinegar (cider usually, white if I don’t have it) to taste and simmer for a long, long time.

I am particularly fond of adding it to bacon cheeseburgers. Some day I want to purée it in the blender, and glaze pork ribs with it.

Chipotle.

Cholula sauce: Original and Chipotle.

We Dutch love mayonaise on our fries, but I like them even more with sateh sauce, a peanut sauce of Indonesian origin. Fries with both mayonaise and sateh sauce is also good.

Big fan of Sriracha and home-made fresh guacamole. My uncle has an excellent spicy "secret fry sauce" recipe although for the life of me I can't remember what's actually in it aside from ketchup.

I must admit, I have a serious obsession with Taco Bell's "Fire" sauce to the point where I stockpile it... Taco Time's hot sauce is pretty good too.

Last edited:
Big fan of Sriracha and home-made fresh guacamole. My uncle has an excellent spicy "secret fry sauce" recipe although for the life of me I can't remember what's actually in it aside from ketchup.

I must admit, I have a serious obsession with Taco Bell's "Fire" sauce to the point where I stockpile it... Taco Time's hot sauce is pretty good too.
I used to keep Taco Bell's Fire sauce when we had occasional Taco Bell to bring on camping trips. We used to buy bottles of Taco Time hot sauce but my wife has had upset tummy (to put it mildly) issues with our nearby Taco Time so we don't go there anymore (and the one we used to frequent from our previous house is now gone).

The condiments we regularly stock in our fridge:
French's Yellow Mustard
Heinz Ketchup
Best Foods Mayonnaise with Olive Oil
Ken's Northern Italian Dressing with Basil and Romano
Mrs. Renfros Hot Habanero Salsa
Pace Mild Picante Sauce
Dill Relish
Some kind of garlic mustard (brand changes based on availability)
Mama Lil's Hot Peppers (which I pureee in an attempt to get something close to the "hots" that I used to get on Santoro's Subs in Massachusetts)
Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
Soy Vey Teriyaki Sauce

There's probably things that count as condiments that I'm not thinking of...

I couldn't tell you which is most used.

Mama Lil's Hot Peppers (which I pureee in an attempt to get something close to the "hots" that I used to get on Santoro's Subs in Massachusetts)
My wife LOVES Mama Lil's Hot Peppers. They don't get along with me, however...
In an attempt to cut carbs, we have unfortunately had to give up many of our favorite condiments, including my favorite barbecue sauces. :thumbsdown:

Chipotle.

Cholula sauce: Original and Chipotle.

We Dutch love mayonaise on our fries, but I like them even more with sateh sauce, a peanut sauce of Indonesian origin. Fries with both mayonaise and sateh sauce is also good.
Find some kecap manis and marinade chicken or beef in it before grilling. Add sateh sauce.

Well, I figure most things taste better with some satay sauce, and this is the one I usually have in the cupboard...

1579146826575.png

I'll put a little bit of mustard or hot sauce on my sandwiches. Other than that, I like my food to taste like my food and not something else.

I try not to be offended that my wife puts ketchup on everything I cook for her. Steak? Ketchup. Sausages? Ketchup. Lamb roast? Ketchup. Pork chop? F'n ketchup!

I go through phases. Pretty much all of 2018 and 2019 was banana ketchup. Lately it's been tartar sauce and cocktail sauce on whitefish filet sandwiches.

I'll put a little bit of mustard or hot sauce on my sandwiches. Other than that, I like my food to taste like my food and not something else.

I try not to be offended that my wife puts ketchup on everything I cook for her. Steak? Ketchup. Sausages? Ketchup. Lamb roast? Ketchup. Pork chop? F'n ketchup!
But ... But ... You have Barker's in New Zealand.

Having said that, Wattie's is infinitely superior to what passes for tomato sauce here. Heinz really is quite watery and acidic.
Lucky bastards

Well, I figure most things taste better with some satay sauce, and this is the one I usually have in the cupboard...

Of all the things you can get in Indonesia, one thing I could never find there is bottled satay sauce (although I presume you can get it somewhere). However, it's not hard to make.
  • Fry some peanuts - not too hot or you'll burn them.
  • Whizz the fried peanuts up in a blender.
  • Add some kecap manis. You should be able to get this from any Asian food shop. Bango is the best if you can get it, with ABC as the #2 preferred.
  • Add some salt, chillies and perhaps garlic to taste. You can also season it with other spices like Cumin or even ordinary curry powder if you want.
  • Add water for consistency. Depending on what you season it with, you may want to heat and simmer it for a while.
Using peanut butter is considered cheating, but I won't tell if you don't. It will taste a bit different though. Fry the peanuts in peanut oil.

If you want to make trad satay, the main seasoning for the marinade is just Kecap Manis, maybe with some chopped up chillies or garlic in it. You could use beef, chicken or lamb; goat is traditional. Chicken hearts for the more adventurous. Marinate in the seasoning for while, and brush more of it on when you're grilling it. Satay actually just means barbecue, and street food outfits will make them on a charcoal grill.

Once you've finished grilling the kebabs, pour some peanut sauce on them and serve.

Last edited:
But ... But ... You have Barker's in New Zealand.
I have a vague idea that Barker's may be fruit preserves. Is that right? I wouldn't put fruit preserves on my food.

Having said that, Wattie's is infinitely superior to what passes for tomato sauce here. Heinz really is quite watery and acidic.
Heinz is also the only acceptable brand...

I have a vague idea that Barker's may be fruit preserves. Is that right? I wouldn't put fruit preserves on my food.

Heinz is also the only acceptable brand...
Barkers make all sorts of sauces as well as jams. Check out their apricot or plum sauce for a starter, although they make loads of different types these days. It's also a great marinade - you can also try adding pepper and crushed garlic to the marinade.

Unfortunately they don't export it to the UK and it's next to impossible to get here.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back