When you've got a deal without even knowing it?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I actually know the idiom, Nobby-W Nobby-W but in order not to explain my joke too much: just look at the front page of the Roleplaying Games sub-forum, you might find what I was actually referencing...:devil:

That's the Marsupial Supplement for FATAL Supers.
Oh, is that what it referred to!

After the discussion about idiomatic references, I was worried that it meant something else.

The only thing I could come up with was it was somehow a reference to scrotums...... (but I didn't have the balls to ask and show my ignorance)

Torn between this thread and "tell me about something good", but I decide to clear a lot of the deadweight from my collection-- sell it to Noble Knight for store credit, pick up some of the TSR back catalog that isn't POD yet-- and I discovered that I have all of the rulebooks from the Buck Rogers boxed set and I never before noticed, because I didn't have the box.

Except for that period of 3-4 months that I totally did have the box, and donated it to an auction.

So I've got the original core rules still, and I've got the retroclone coming. Guess I'm going to keep a few of the supplements, and only send in the adventure modules.

Torn between this thread and "tell me about something good", but I decide to clear a lot of the deadweight from my collection-- sell it to Noble Knight for store credit, pick up some of the TSR back catalog that isn't POD yet-- and I discovered that I have all of the rulebooks from the Buck Rogers boxed set and I never before noticed, because I didn't have the box.

Except for that period of 3-4 months that I totally did have the box, and donated it to an auction.

So I've got the original core rules still, and I've got the retroclone coming. Guess I'm going to keep a few of the supplements, and only send in the adventure modules.
So if I understand you correctly, you donated an empty box to an auction?!! Or did it have something in it, but not the expected Buck Rogers contents???

So if I understand you correctly, you donated an empty box to an auction?!! Or did it have something in it, but not the expected Buck Rogers contents???
No. It was a complete vintage boxed set that I purchased, stored, and eventually donated without realizing that I already had a copy.

When I've got a deal without knowing it, it usually means I'd missed the deal:thumbsup:!

But, but I thought a Scotsman never wore anything under his kilt??!!

And if this is true, wht's the heck is the sporran for?

Lady: I say, is anything worn under the kilt?
Spike Milligan: No madam, it's all in perfect working order.

Lady: I say, is anything worn under the kilt?
Spike Milligan: No madam, it's all in perfect working order.
Wait that statement comes from Spike Milligan?

Every Scotsman I've met quoted that line to me at some time or another as gospel truth!

No. It was a complete vintage boxed set that I purchased, stored, and eventually donated without realizing that I already had a copy.
PLOT TWIST: So, my friend who was supposed to physically take the boxed set to Gen Con... somehow didn't and has been holding onto it ever since.

I told her about the whole situation. So, she'll be bringing me my complete copy the next time she visits.

sorry, you said Buck Rogers retroclone? can you elaborate?

The original Babylon Project RPG was quite expensive when it came out - £20-30 in the UK if I recall aright, for quite a slim book that was basically just chargen and combat. I found it on sale for £4 in my local bookshop.

I saved myself £4 by leaving it there for some other sucker.

Conversely, I paid £2 for both of the Mongoose Babylon 5 sourcebooks for Traveller when they spent about a year liquidating warehouse stock on eBay. Ye gods, I miss that £2...

Although in that sale I got the entire line of 2nd Age Glorantha books for £1 each. Also 4 armies for Battlefield Evolution at £1 per squad or vehicle - the rules were decent, the pre-painted minis were less terrible than they're often made out to be, and I still have the armies. Must have got £1000 worth of stuff for maybe £60.

Last edited:
I worked in a FLGS for many years in Uni that did trade-ins for store credit. I got so many good RPGS books that way. I mean I paid for them and shit, but they never made the shelf. Nor did I price them high. :grin:

The original Babylon Project RPG was quite expensive when it came out - £20-30 in the UK if I recall aright, for quite a slim book that was basically just chargen and combat. I found it on sale for £4 in my local bookshop.

I saved myself £4 by leaving it there for some other sucker.

Conversely, I paid £2 for both of the Mongoose Babylon 5 sourcebooks for Traveller when they spent about a year liquidating warehouse stock on eBay. Ye gods, I miss that £2...

Although in that sale I got the entire line of 2nd Age Glorantha books for £1 each. Also 4 armies for Battlefield Evolution at £1 per squad or vehicle - the rules were decent, the pre-painted minis were less terrible than they're often made out to be, and I still have the armies. Must have got £1000 worth of stuff for maybe £60.
Personally I quite like Babylon Project and probably paid full whack for it. It survived the purge of '99 and I don't regret that.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back