Where do you live 2022 edition?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Z ZDL - Nice to see somebody from China here. I'd be quite interested to hear what the RPG scene in China looks like.
I'm not from China. I'm from Germany or Canada depending on what you consider "being from". I have lived the last 21 years and a bit in China, though, and I have familial ties deep in China.

The RPG scene in China is nascent but blooming. The main games are D&D (duh!), and related games like Pathfinder (which has a surprisingly large presence here). Also Call of Cthulhu is big here (to the point that "RPG dice" are sold as dice for both games). A big surprise was that FATE turned into a sizable hit; I'd guess that it's the #3 game here by its presence on Taobao (which relates to Amazon like the Pacific Ocean relates to the Great Lakes). I was privileged enough to watch the crowdsourcing for FATE's translation unfold on Modian (something kinda/sorta like Kickstarter if Kickstarter actually provided a service beyond siphoning money from projects) and seeing it get funded to ludicrous multiples of its desired target.

Other games have a much smaller presence, and sadly tend to be imports and thus a) not in local language and b) horribly expensive but, as with wargames (which I babbled about in another thread with some examples) it's a growing market which, hopefully, RPG publishers will be smarter at dealing with than were wargames makers.

Hmm. Where to live is a tough question for me, personally (and actually something I'm thinking about right now, for long-term plans).

Realistically, the odds of me being able to get a job outside the US are not very good, and would likely require a different line of work entirely. Plus I haven't been to that many places outside of the US. I liked London, though. I also liked some cities in Japan, but I don't think that's a move I would make.

Within the US, everything has tradeoffs. Weather. COL, infrastructure, and other things. Most likely I would stay in the upper Midwest or maybe move to the Northeast. I've been looking at someplace like Buffalo, for example --it's snowier than where I am now, but not as cold.

I don't think I could secure a job or support myself comfortably overseas so if I had to move from Southern California I'd pick from a number of desirable locations along the coast of Northern California, Washington or Oregon. If money and employment is not an issue, I'd start looking for a charming home along the coast of Greece or Japan. Melbourne, Australia is on my list but it's a hard pass from Bunny who is terrified of the continent's megavermin.

Last edited:
Assuming we're talking retirement with a decent pension and plenty of surplus money in the bank, I'd like to own two or more houses on the planet so that I never have to stay in a place that's too warm.

For example, I enjoy spending time in Oaxaca (de Juárez), Oaxaca, but March - May it's way too hot and May/June - Sep/Oct it's humid.
The same goes for Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, which probably is on average slightly cooler because of its higher elevation.

So, we'd need a place to stay during those hot and/or humid months, that isn´t hot and/or humid. Here in the Netherlands June-August/Sep it's often too warm and humid. (In fact, highland Mexico is at times relatively more pleasant then, which people tend to find hard to believe.) Moving to some place up north, perhaps, or in the southern hemisphere (southern Chile or Argentina, Tierra del Fuego?).

Last edited:
Lincoln in the UK here, although I'm originally from Scotland.

Near the "spiritual home of wargaming" that is the Nottingham-Newark Axis of Beardiness.

We get the Red Arrows aerobatic display team practising overhead most days, and regular appearances by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

There's a cathedral, and a castle too. This fella is just passing through, I hope...

IMG_20220612_143113_resize_2.jpg

Lincoln in the UK here, although I'm originally from Scotland.

Near the "spiritual home of wargaming" that is the Nottingham-Newark Axis of Beardiness.

We get the Red Arrows aerobatic display team practising overhead most days, and regular appearances by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

There's a cathedral, and a castle too. This fella is just passing through, I hope...

View attachment 47050
I have a great fondness for Lincoln; I have considerable interest in the history of the shire and have spent some useful hours in the Lincolnshire Archives Office in town. The cathedral is no slouch either and IIRC the local history museum is good. Plus the walk up 'Steep Hill' can get your blood flowing.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to get there for a couple of decades...

I've worked with the Lincolnshire Archives quite a bit, bringing their online archive up to date in recent years, and planning for future growth.

The museums are absolutely overflowing with material - there's one 20-foot-long shelf full of boxes of Roman and Medieval shoes that have been fished out of the Brayford Pool!

The local history is incredibly rich too - the latest is a huge haul of Roman, Anglo-Saxon and Medieval finds from the new Eastern Bypass.

There's definitely a pint of Batemans' waiting for you here if you do visit again!

Places I'd consider moving

1. Tokyo, Japan: The main office for my job is here, and I do love the city. The main problem is that it would be hard for my family. This would only be an option if my kids had moved out.
2. Albany, NY: I could never move somewhere too rural, and cost of living in Albany is actually not that bad. Being not too far from NYC would be cool. And without going into too much of the politics part, moving from Georgia to New York would come with certain guarantees of state laws protecting my immediate family.
3. Vancouver, British Columbia: This is my option for "I have plenty of money and didn't have to worry about immigration laws". English speaking so I don't have to learn a new language, nice weather, etc.

Places I'd consider moving

3. Vancouver, British Columbia: This is my option for "I have plenty of money and didn't have to worry about immigration laws". English speaking so I don't have to learn a new language, nice weather, etc.
Vancouver didn’t make Top Three for me but it’s definitely Top Ten or maybe even Top Five. Lovely place.

US-wise, I haven’t been to many places. Big cities like NYC, DC, Chicago, Seattle and San Francisco are amazing, but seem very, very expensive.

I was particularly fond of DC when I visited, though there’s a lot to be said about California’s weather. (Even if I’m not crazy about its plate tectonics or the flammability of the vegetation.)

I don't think I could secure a job or support myself comfortably overseas so if I had to move from Southern California I'd pick from a number of desirable locations along the coast of Northern California, Washington or Oregon. If money and employment is not an issue, I'd start looking for a charming home along the coast of Greece or Japan. Melbourne, Australia is on my list but it's a hard pass from Bunny who is terrified of the continent's megavermin.

Funny, Mrs Nobby-W Nobby-W is also scared of snakes and reluctant to move to Oz, despite that she lives in a region with species of native cobra.

This is something I've been thinking about a lot these past couple of years.
Reykjavik: Cooler climate, cool scenery, Close flight to Europe, ok Flight to the States, population smaller than some American cities and a great history. Main con is there's not a lot of trees and Icelandic is a pain to learn.

British Columbia: Pros are it's just like where I live now in terms of climate and access to nature. Cons are it's just like where I live now so it wouldn't be much of a change.

The Netherlands: Lovely urban design, bikes are common (so I could finally get back into cycling without risking getting hit by a texting soccer mom), on mainland Europe so I could travel anywhere else in Europe with ease, Dutch is one of the easiest languages to learn for English speakers, mass transit is great so I wouldn't need to waste money on owning a car, mild seasons.
Cons: No mountains (real mountains), high population density, probably other things that I don't know about.

Runners up:
Hokkaido
Uruguay
Cement Washington
Wallace, Idaho
A hypothetical Spokane with better urban design and mass transit.

Define affordable and hot in this context.
I think €250,000 is considered cheap these days and prices are usually well over that. I can't afford that.

Temperatures over 27°C, given the usual humidity, is when it starts to get uncomfortable. There's usually a number of days when temperatures rise above 30°C and we get at least one heat wave each summer.

I think €250,000 is considered cheap these days and prices are usually well over that. I can't afford that.

Temperatures over 27°C, given the usual humidity, is when it starts to get uncomfortable. There's usually a number of days when temperatures rise above 30°C and we get at least one heat wave each summer.
The temperature is about the same here, minus the humidity. Housing wise a $300,000 house is cheap and $950/month will buy a studio apartment. Of course Spokane's reality market is hotter than a 2 dollar pistol right now. Last month the median home price was $400,000.

Housing wise a $300,000 house is cheap and $950/month will buy a studio apartment. Of course Spokane's reality market is hotter than a 2 dollar pistol right now. Last month the median home price was $400,000.
At the risk of starting a dick waving contest over who lives in the most expensive ZIP code, that’s incredibly cheap to me.

Immigration disaster story time. One of my Marine buddies sold everything thing he had to shack up with some chick in Australia and when that didn't work out the government deported* his ass right back to America.

*at his expense

Last edited:
Immigration disaster story time. One of my Marine buddies sold everything thing he had to shack up with some chick in Australia and when that didn't work out the government deported his ass right back to America.
An aquantince of mine has a coworker who's in a similar situation. Sold everything to move out here from New York for a girl only for it to not work out. Something to be said about not thinking with you dick.

An aquantince of mine has a coworker who's in a similar situation. Sold everything to move out here from New York for a girl only for it to not work out. Something to be said about not thinking with you dick.
At least they moved to cool places that were destinations in their own right. If things don't work out in Melbourne or NYC, you might as well stick around and have a go at it. I blew through 7k moving from Orange County, CA to North Augusta, SC then back to CA

Truth. Single me could live comfortably in a cave or shack with electricity, running water, high speed Internet, and proximity to a thriving gaming community.

The problem with the area where I live is the lack of a gaming community. And Australian internet speeds.

Otherwise: I feel right anywhere east of Five Day Creek, west of Korogoro Point, south of Yarrahapinni, and north of Piper's Creek. This is where the air smells right, the colours are right, and the horizon is the right shape. For all the appeals of everywhere else, I never feel at home there.

Well if we’re wishlisting my cave or shack needs to be close enough to civilization for hookers to do house calls.

A former US marine buddy of mine (whose sample is small) maintains that on any night, in any pub in Australia, any man can get laid if his pants are pressed.

I took my dog to the B.E.A.C.H. this morning. Not too shabby for midwinter, though of course I ran into a local who complained that it was the worst day in three weeks.

These photos are a bit under-exposed and look dull. Automatic exposure won't believe how bright sunlight is.

IMG_0468.jpeg

IMG_0464.jpeg
IMG_0470.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmm, 3 places I'd move to? Assuming finances aren't an issue:

Boston Area: This is where I grew up so would mean a lot to me. I'd have to convince my wife but we'd have lots of choices of churches. Politics would be compatible. Beach and mountains not quite as handy or spectacular as here in Portland OR but still nice. My wife wouldn't like to deal with the snow... My employer has a good presence there including my manager. Being in Eastern Time Zone would be a benefit to almost everything I do.

Beyond this, hmm, I'm hard pressed to think of some place that would be worth dragging my wife away from Portland OR for...

Seattle and Vancouver have a certain appeal but not enough different from Portland OR to justify a move...

The problem with the area where I live is the lack of a gaming community. And Australian internet speeds.

Otherwise: I feel right anywhere east of Five Day Creek, west of Korogoro Point, south of Yarrahapinni, and north of Piper's Creek. This is where the air smells right, the colours are right, and the horizon is the right shape. For all the appeals of everywhere else, I never feel at home there.

A former US marine buddy of mine (whose sample is small) maintains that on any night, in any pub in Australia, any man can get laid if his pants are pressed.

I took my dog to the B.E.A.C.H. this morning. Not too shabby for midwinter, though of course I ran into a local who complained that it was the worst day in three weeks.

These photos are a bit under-exposed and look dull. Automatic exposure won't believe how bright sunlight is.

View attachment 47056

View attachment 47057
View attachment 47058
You don't need to sell me on Australia! I already know it's a beautiful country full of chill, attractive females who are DTF!

This is something I've been thinking about a lot these past couple of years.
Reykjavik: Cooler climate, cool scenery, Close flight to Europe, ok Flight to the States, population smaller than some American cities and a great history. Main con is there's not a lot of trees and Icelandic is a pain to learn.

British Columbia: Pros are it's just like where I live now in terms of climate and access to nature. Cons are it's just like where I live now so it wouldn't be much of a change.

The Netherlands: Lovely urban design, bikes are common (so I could finally get back into cycling without risking getting hit by a texting soccer mom), on mainland Europe so I could travel anywhere else in Europe with ease, Dutch is one of the easiest languages to learn for English speakers, mass transit is great so I wouldn't need to waste money on owning a car, mild seasons.
Cons: No mountains (real mountains), high population density, probably other things that I don't know about.

Runners up:
Hokkaido
Uruguay
Cement Washington
Wallace, Idaho
A hypothetical Spokane with better urban design and mass transit.
you forgot new zealand and melbourne. but that's pretty much my list.

Immigration disaster story time. One of my Marine buddies sold everything thing he had to shack up with some chick in Australia and when that didn't work out the government deported* his ass right back to America.

*at his expense

One thing to remember about Oz is that Rupert Murdoch started his career there, and still has a major presence in the news media.

Hmm, 3 places I'd move to? Assuming finances aren't an issue:

Boston Area: This is where I grew up so would mean a lot to me. I'd have to convince my wife but we'd have lots of choices of churches. Politics would be compatible. Beach and mountains not quite as handy or spectacular as here in Portland OR but still nice. My wife wouldn't like to deal with the snow... My employer has a good presence there including my manager. Being in Eastern Time Zone would be a benefit to almost everything I do.

Beyond this, hmm, I'm hard pressed to think of some place that would be worth dragging my wife away from Portland OR for...

Seattle and Vancouver have a certain appeal but not enough different from Portland OR to justify a move...
I’ve never been to Portland, Oregon, but from what I’ve heard of it I suspect I’d dig it.

Same goes for Melbourne, Australia.

And the costs of air travel to and from NZ or Oz are horrific compared to pretty much anywhere else in the world.
that might be an advantage in some ways ;)
I’ve never been to Portland, Oregon, but from what I’ve heard of it I suspect I’d dig it.

Same goes for Melbourne, Australia.
Portland is great, except for the homeless problem. been that way since I picked up my original copy of cyberpunk (now called cyberpunk 2013). housing prices are getting pretty crazy, but that's the same as Seattle (which has a worse homeless problem and worse housing prices).

still, I love Portland.

I have certain political standards for places I can live that severely curtail my options. I was seriously considering expatriating in 2016 and my shortlist was:
  • Tallinn, Estonia: Estonia's got a lot going for it, but most of it's political. The capital has the best Mexican restaurant in the EU, they've got quality muay thai and BJJ gyms-- this was still relevant to me in 2016-- and they've got the largest cider store on the entire planet. There's the two-hour ferry to Helsinki, where I had friends, or the eight-hour drive to Riga. All of the best Estonian liberal arts universities are in Tallinn.
  • Tartu, Estonia: All of the advantages of Estonia in general, plus the University of Tartu. Not far from Tallinn.
  • Prague, Czech Republic: Prague is widely regarded as one of the best cities on Earth. The food, the arts... there's a reason that writers and artists are frequently called "Bohemians", and this... right here, is the beating heart of Bohemia. I didn't look too closely at the specifics because I was... looking more closely into my Estonian options, and also because I didn't feel like I needed to-- whatever I needed in Prague, I'd find it.
I haven't done a lot of research into specific cities, but if I could lift my inflexible moral restriction:
  • Denmark: Religious reasons, a cultural history I'm proud of.
  • The Phillippines: You guys seriously don't know how much I love Jollibee. I like the people, I like the local food, I like the "melting pot" aspect of different cultures.
  • India: I'm just... genuinely fascinated with Indian culture. Love the media, love the food, love the folklore.

Prague, Czech Republic: Prague is widely regarded as one of the best cities on Earth. The food, the arts... there's a reason that writers and artists are frequently called "Bohemians", and this... right here, is the beating heart of Bohemia. I didn't look too closely at the specifics because I was... looking more closely into my Estonian options, and also because I didn't feel like I needed to-- whatever I needed in Prague, I'd find it.
Loved visiting Prague, crazy beautiful place, some of the nicest people, but didn’t get to see much beyond the touristy old city.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back