Which Minis Game Comes Closest To An RPG?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I include in this games like Descent which might be more accurately classes as boardgames.

Inquisitor?
Laserbrn?
40k 1e?
Your mum?

Mansions of Madness of the ones I've played. 1E sort of has a GM, 2E has NPCs.

1e has NPCs too in the Call of the Wild expansion. 2e uses the concepts more frequently though.

1e has NPCs too in the Call of the Wild expansion. 2e uses the concepts more frequently though.
Ah you're right! Can't believe I forgot about that! That was the best expansion for 1E by a long shot. Seemed like some of 2E was tried out there, e.g. quicker set up times, less linear

Gloomhaven, in the sense it's a dungeon crawler with RPG-lite aspects, and no GM. Does that count? It's very close to Descent.

Ah you're right! Can't believe I forgot about that! That was the best expansion for 1E by a long shot. Seemed like some of 2E was tried out there, e.g. quicker set up times, less linear

It was definitely a stepping stone to 2e.

I am just gutted that they went GMless and app-required with 2e. One of the appeals of MoM for me was it was a close as you can get to a tabletop RPG and still be a board game, then they removed two essential elements of tabletop RPing ;(

I've found that the games of Frostgrave I've played have had a substantial amount of roleplaying, even though its a system that doesn't really reward doing such. Players (myself included) really get into those awkward rendezvous searching for powerful artifacts in the frozen city when you run into another wizard and their war band, doubly so when monsters start showing up on the map :p

I still want to Try Frostgrave; have a few of the rulebooks, gives a Mordheim-esque vibe

It's loads of fun and pretty straight forward. Arguably one of the least complex miniature games I've played in a while, and I love the idea of wizards hurling spells and leading warbands into a ruined city for ancient (and dangerous) magicks. Definitely worth giving it a whirl if you ever get the chance :grin:

HEROS! Okay that's a really old one. There's a picture of the cover in =][=nquisitor.

OD&D and AD&D are more like roleplaying games than 4e.

FGU's Fire Hack and Run? Donald Featherstone's Skirmish Wargames?

Knight's Hand?

Warhammer Mass Combat Roleplay?

Darkest Africa?

Sooo many choices.

What about Great Rail Wars the precursor to Savage Worlds or perhaps the under developed Savage Showdown?

Savage Worlds is pretty close to the miniature/RPG border.

I own Frostgrave and have considered running it as an RPG-lite of sorts but I just don't have the time and space to do it right.

Are there any mnis games where you create your own character?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back