Which websites are you visiting?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Reaction score
Back in the day, there were an even dozen websites I would visit every evening. Now I seem to jump from Reddit, to Imgur, to here. All social media. That can't be healthy. There's still plenty more internet out there!

While I work I visit the Pub, open several Google apps for personal stuff (mail, calendar, docs, news) and that's about it. I keep Google Docs open at all times so I can tinker with my campaign as ideas come to me. Those are about the only websites I consistently visit each and every day but my phone currently has... 57 tabs open.

Last edited:
I basically don't go on the net outside of the Pub or to download something specific (like PDFs, game mods and so on).

Last edited:
Didn’t you get the memo? The Web is dead. :blah:

I don’t usually look at social media on the browser. The Pub is the only one I check almost every day. I do refer to Serious Eats and to Wikipedia very often, as well as a few professionally-oriented websites. And sometimes I browse

On the phone, I only ever use the browser for the Pub, for news or to Google something; I do use plenty of apps though — Spotify for music, Instagram and Facebook for social media, Reddit mostly for PC gaming stuff, WhatsApp for almost everything all the time (seriously. People seldom call each other here anymore) and the boozy trio (Vivino, Untappd and Distiller) for reviews and idle browsing. They all have web sites but I never use them (I have the tabletop app for Spotify on my laptop).

Didn’t you get the memo? The Web is dead. :blah:

I don’t usually look at social media on the browser. The Pub is the only one I check almost every day. I do refer to Serious Eats and to Wikipedia very often,
I should have mentioned Wikipedia because I use it quite often. I contribute money every year because I feel it provides a valuable service to humanity. People like to make fun of Wikipedia or trash it but as a quick layman's reference I find it indispensable. I think of it like an old school encyclopedia. It gives a brief summary of a topic which can serve as a springboard for a deeper, more nuanced examination if need be. Just like in the pre-Internet days when I was a kid, I would use our home encyclopedia as a quick reference but visit the library if I needed a deep dive

/rant

Thanks for the Serious Eats hook up I am adding that now!

Wikipedia, reddit, email, The Pub, occasionally Boingboing and and sites linked off the above. I sometimes read the TBP and ENWorld. Almost never use facebook but I do curate my Linkedin account. Ebay, Amazon and various other online shopping sites to buy stuff.

I have 33 tabs open but that's mostly things I want to read when I have both the time to focus and that hobby/interest in my head. Mostly I am here, Google News, Finance sites, Facebook for keeping up with non gaming friends and family. Ad Hoc I go to wikipedia, TBP, hacker news.
Ebay, Amazon and reddit u use the apps.

Not much in the way of Social media. Whereas I once frequented about a dozen forums daily, nowadays, its mostly just The Pub and one related to another hobby of mine. Every so often I'll stop by TBP and read the Infractions forum. Less often than that I'll take a gander at the Site, but usually can't make it through a few pages of one thread.

Only social media I use is Facebook, and I check in maybe a couple times a day, usually to share a meme or see what's been posted in the Oldhammer groups. The newly updated formatting is even harder on my eyes than the old one though. I have a twitter, months or even years can go by between me checking it. I have an Instagram, but it's really just a place for me to post my art and have a handy link to share to people who want to see it that I don't necessarily want to share my website with. I occassionally visit Reddit, but usually only when I'm looking for something specifically

I spend more time on ebay and Amazon than social media.

Watch a lot of Youtube - I like deep dives into random subjects - history, anime, comics, folklore and mythology, films, even some videogames (even though I'm not a player), etc. Also watch a lot of miniature painting videos.

I read a lot of science and archaeology articles. One of the nice things about being in university is having access to a ton of articles and papers that are sadly behind a paywall or completely inaccessible otherwise. This is how I keep up with folklore studies as best I can.

My daily routine is here, ESPN, DTRPG, Reddit, YouTube, the lunacy at other RPG forums, whatever sports forums I visit during the seasons, news feeds, and sometimes Twitter.

I use Twitter to follow news sources and reporters from around the world and read in-depth news articles from there, also follow game designers, writers, boxing and what is called Film Twitter. Used to hang on some music and film forums but they either died or effectively died by being sucked into US culture wars.

Check in on FB every couple of days because that is where my family and old friends are. LinkedIn for career and networking.

Instagram and Pinterest occasionally for cool pics. Ringtv.com and the excellent Fight City for quality reporting and historical articles on boxing again.

I rely on the BBC News and Economist podcasts for daily news, some CBC podcasts for Canadian news, some rpg, boxing and the better true crime podcasts (I hated Serial btw).

Twitter, my PbP forum, the Pub, news, and other RPG forums.

I dropped Facebook/Instagram years ago -- you should, too, if you value your privacy and prefer not to help a terrible company profit -- and I've been fine.

Last edited:
The only website I visit frequently is this one.
Once a week I go on Youtube to watch new videos, from the channels I'm subsribed to. I also sometimes use Youtube as a form of music player. I used to go there much more, but not anymore.
The only other social media, I have an account on anymore is Facebook. This is just to keep in touch with some old friends. I don't post there anymore.
All other sites is only used then I have a reason to go there.

Some years ago, I was almost always on the internet in some way. Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and a whole bunch of forums for various things. I realised this had a very negative effect on my mental health, so I decided to stop. I do not miss those times.

I found Facebook to be much more enjoyable once I told the algorithms to hide all politics and crazy friends/family members. Now it's just a steady stream of gamma world, RPGs, board games and whatever my mom posts because I don't want to hide her but I could do with less inspirational posts some days.

The only website I visit frequently is this one.
Once a week I go on Youtube to watch new videos, from the channels I'm subsribed to. I also sometimes use Youtube as a form of music player. I used to go there much more, but not anymore.
The only other social media, I have an account on anymore is Facebook. This is just to keep in touch with some old friends. I don't post there anymore.
All other sites is only used then I have a reason to go there.

Some years ago, I was almost always on the internet in some way. Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and a whole bunch of forums for various things. I realised this had a very negative effect on my mental health, so I decided to stop. I do not miss those times.
Sounds similar to myself Mad Hatter. I was on the net way too much in my 20s and wasting my time with garbage forums were people would argue with a brick for being red. I began to gradually decrease this over time especially since having kids. However in the last three years being here made me realise this was the only place I enjoyed and actually learned from and heard useful new stuff. So I just shut off everything else and have a Python script scrapping youtube videos from Jackson Crawford that I watch every two weeks. I'll occasionally go to the arxiv or through my old university login for academic stuff.

Social media never really took off in my extended family (we all basically live within half an hour of each other).

The only rpg sites I regularly visit these days are this place and BRP Central. I finally swore off Pundit's Passion Pit but started visiting RPGNet again, a bit, after a long hiatus, mostly because it's one of the few gaming sites left that I can view on my old iPad. For wargames/miniatures I visit Lead Adventure Forum and avoid TMP like the plague.
I'm also in some gaming groups on Facebook... which are of variable utility. Facebook doesn't annoy me though, I mostly go there to keep in touch with old friends who have moved away.

The other site have the virtue of being larger so you get information sometimes earlier at all (in the case of anything political) there that you don't get here.

BRO Central, sometimes Mongoose's Legend forum, TheRPGSite, RPG.Net, here, Mythras Forums, DTRPG, Wikipedia, BBC News.

I still spend a little time on ENWorld, but in comparison to this place it's a e-rage-fest, and ENW is a very chill place compared to Purple Hell. The players needed section and that one SotS thread are the only reasons I go there at all. All I can say is thanks to Nobby-W Nobby-W for dragging me here in the first place to play in his Scum and Villainy campaign.

Facebook, RPG.net and this place. For a long time TBP was my go to and where I spent the majority of my browsing time but The Pub is slowly taking over from there. I gave up with the RPGSite shortly after Dominus Vox got banned and the Pundit declared war on anyone who didn't game his way.

I have quite a few - rpggeek, the pub, donationcoder, my friendica instance, a diaspora* instance, reddit, mastodon, youtube, and the old reader for several RSS feeds.

Tonight seems to be the night to find and post to threads from a couple weeks ago. :quiet:

This is about the only RPG forum I spend any time on anymore, I'll very occasionally lurk, and even more rarely post at BRP central but that is about it. I gave up on dot net in 2016 and haven't looked back. I was still checking in at the site until a few months ago, but it has also gone down a path I don't enjoy so you guys are stuck with me.

Other than gaming sites, I mostly follow some hobby machinist sites and the occasional modeling site. I used to spend a lot of time at model sites, but one I spent a ton of time at changes software every couple years (just as they get it working) and each one is less user friendly and buggy than the last. The result is many of the people I had interacted with for years have drifted away. Another that I frequented has gone through issues with off topic discussions and I gave up, plus while it theoretically covers a broad spectrum of subjects it has really congealed around one scale and subject I find quite dull. The model car site I have been on since 2006 has kind of devolved into a bunch of bitter old men bitching about the cost of models so I spend a lot less time there than I once did. Facebook has taken a hefty toll on model forums which is sad, because it is not a good format for following the progress of a project.

I spend a lot of time watching youtube videos, I follow about 30 channels, mostly hobby machinist oriented as I have a ton yet to learn. I'll also take in some current events news videos just so I have some idea of what is going on, then usually follow them with some stand up comedy to recover. :shock: I don't spend as much time in my shop as I should, it is easier to watch a video on running a lathe than to actually do it and it is all the way down in the basement.

I got rid of my social media a year ago. Don't miss that mess.
reddit I barely read now. I've been using RES to block annoying people and subreddits for so long that I think reddit just runs out of content for me. I scroll and pretty quickly it says there's just nothing there.
I read the Pub daily. I read the articles on wargamer.com, there's barely ever any discussion there but their reviews are good. Wikipedia a bit for researching random stuff. But most of the time when I'm looking for something I'll google it and the better information I find is on obscure sites devoted to that one thing, whatever it is. I've got some youtube history content that I watch.
Overall though, I feel like the internet is smaller than it was in the 90s.

I got rid of my social media a year ago. Don't miss that mess.
reddit I barely read now. I've been using RES to block annoying people and subreddits for so long that I think reddit just runs out of content for me. I scroll and pretty quickly it says there's just nothing there.
I read the Pub daily. I read the articles on wargamer.com, there's barely ever any discussion there but their reviews are good. Wikipedia a bit for researching random stuff. But most of the time when I'm looking for something I'll google it and the better information I find is on obscure sites devoted to that one thing, whatever it is. I've got some youtube history content that I watch.
It's bigger I'm just interested in less of it because people on the internet are asshats.

There’s good and bad things about Google. What it filters out in its search engines can make the internet seem smaller. I remember the days when you would just type random website names in your address bar on AOL and see if you would be pleasantly surprised.

There’s good and bad things about Google. What it filters out in its search engines can make the internet seem smaller. I remember the days when you would just type random website names in your address bar on AOL and see if you would be pleasantly surprised.
I remember those days too because I worked on the software that turned all those random urls into advertising websites. Very lucrative for a while. As a joke we made one that contained only one link in the whole page that didn't go to a separate ad page. The legal page. We made sure to put banner ads in though so it wouldn't be a total loss.

There was this site that was part of a ring years ago that had all the Marvel characters with up-to-date stats for MSH. I used to love visiting every week. I don’t remember the address. The last time I was there was probably over five years ago.

In terms of community-style websites, this is the only place I still visit.

I have a Flickr page, but I haven't updated it in a long time. I kind of reached a point where I realized every photograph I took looked like shit, and I had managed to learn enough about photography that I was no longer under the Dunning/Krueger blissful ignorance of my incompetence.

I have a Facebook page, but it literally only exists so I can look at pages of businesses who handle their announcements through Facebook.

This is the site I visit most often.
I don't touch social media.
There's a bunch of Warhammer and 40k sites I visit.
The Design Mechanism.
Reddit only when referred from Google.
I'll only use an app on a phone when a PC or Tablet isn't available. For the most part, apps are the short bus version compared to PC websites.

There was another RPG something site in the late 1990s, not dot net, but had RPG in the name. It was broken out into a bunch of individual game forums and had a great Twilight 2000 forum on it.

I was very active on the HERO games site, before the great rift.

I often wonder when a there is a great migration from a forum what happens to all those posters I often interacted with, a few turn up elsewhere but many just seem to go away. Not sure how much is that the internet is that big, and how much that they just quit forums of that type. I'm sure a few are out there under another user name, but it seems like a good number will use the same user name across forums so not sure that really plays a big part.

This is the site I visit most often.
I don't touch social media.
There's a bunch of Warhammer and 40k sites I visit.
The Design Mechanism.
Reddit only when referred from Google.
I'll only use an app on a phone when a PC or Tablet isn't available. For the most part, apps are the short bus version compared to PC websites.
That last bit is becoming less and less true. I think newer sites favor the mobile experience over the old fashioned html method.

There was this site that was part of a ring years ago that had all the Marvel characters with up-to-date stats for MSH. I used to love visiting every week. I don’t remember the address. The last time I was there was probably over five years ago.
Was this it?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back