While you were sleeping...Bushido!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Wow! I love, love, love that game. Among the most under-rated rpg's ever.
I'm planning to do a "Let's Read" on it at some point. Haven't actually played in ages, but I have Valley of the Mists and pirated copies of Takishido's Debt and Kwaidan (from White Dwarf issue 47). I'm fighting the urge to grab these three new modules since the odds of playing them is low.

Color me surprised to find that after 30-odd years and no new modules for Bushido after Valley of the Mists, the Fantasy Games Unlimited web site now lists three more modules are available: https://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/product-category/bushido/
I'm not super surprised. Bushido is pretty consistently praised overall and it ties nicely into OSR popularity. As long as FGU has the rights I expect them to milk that puppy for all it's worth.

I've got Valley of the Mists, which has been pillaged for L5R many times. Such a dense module with tons of info putacross in a superbly concise way.

But the game is impenetrable. Layed out in a confusing way, filled with acronyms and with no proper glossary.

To me, it practically begs for a retro clone to clean it up and make it more accessible.

Last edited:
I've got Valley of the Mists, which has been pillaged for L5R many times. Such a dense module with tons of info putacross in a superbly concise way.

But the game is impenetrable. Layer pit in a confusing way, filled with acronyms and with no proper glossary.

To me, it practically begs for a retro clone to clean it up and make it more accessible.
I second your nomination of Dumarest to create a retroclone and run a PbP of it!

I vote for the retro clone as well. How many votes in favor do we need to make it happen, people?? Three? Three seems good.

`How does Bushido compare to Sengoku?

Hasn't FGU been releasing new V&V modules as well?

Yeah for a "dead" company FGU manages to get some stuff out. I've noticed there are a couple of "never released" Aftermath books available on the site.

Not sure how much is new, and how much is going through and finding unfinished manuscripts and finishing them as time permits.

We played some Bushido back in the 80s, it was a fun game but hard to find enough people who will play it straight instead of making it into some gonzo teenage mutant ninja kung fu sillyness.

Like a lot of FGU games, it could use a good make over but the foundations of a good game are there.

Sengoku is based on Fuzion, while Bushido is another of FGU's purpose-built setting OSR games. I think that as far as integrating the entire concepts of the setting into the system, Bushido is better hands-down. But it's also one of FGU's purpose-built OSR games, so you get long blocks of double columns of rules and intensely different mini-games built in. Overall, I think it's YMMV and the ability of ANY game to effectively portray the setting remains in the hands of the GM.

I'd run feudal japan with Bushido before I'd use the shoehorn for Fuzion Sengoku, but I'd let a ninja built in Sengoku into my Fuzion-Powered Rifts game.

I'm not particularly impressed by Fuzion, the system in Sengoku, but the game has a lot of good historical and cultural background material and details on place names, personal names, and so on. There is also an optional "lifepath" character generation method you can use to generate random characters. It's sometimes been handy for me to generate an NPC as it includes nice touches like "Basic Personality," "What Do You Value Most?," "Your World View," "Current Outlook," and other nice facets that help create a unique, rounded individual. The rules also have three settings you can choose from for level of "realism" (as RPGs go): Historic (competent PCs), Chanbara (heroic PCs), and Anime (basically superheroes). There's nothing wrong with it as a game and you could do lots worse, but I prefer Bushido. I have Sengoku mainly to supplement Bushido.
Hasn't FGU been releasing new V&V modules as well?
Yes, as well as for Daredevils. Maybe other games as well. I haven't looked into it too much because mainly I check their web site once in a while just in case they ever publish anything for Flashing Blades.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back