White Whales and Holy Grails

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I have things I'd love to get. I'm not willing to spend money though...

Bushido (both the Tyr Games edition, and the FGU boxed set with the GM screen/map).
I recently re-acquired a copy of the Phoenix Games printing of Bushido and am very happy with it. From my understanding it’s mostly identical to the Tyr Games version but a lot more reasonably priced. I much prefer it to the FGU version that feels very dry and unwieldy with its small print and SPI-style section numbering - like their “professionalizing” of the layout and organization drained all of the fun and spirit out of the original.

Also the SFB plastic miniatures by Zocchi...also something hard to find.

Those things used to be common as dirt. Everyone had one or two of them.

Something I wish I still had were little Macross super deformed capsule models. I forget what they're called. I research them every so often, relearn what they were called, and then promptly forget. Anyway, they were these little Super Valkyrie Battloid plastic models done in a super deformed style. They were sold in capsule vending machines. I think they were 50 cents per. They came in either beige, green, or orange plastic. I bought those things every time I had change. I had dozens of them, a whole army of little SD Super and Strike Valkyries.

But like most things like that, I didn't think anything of them. I remember they'd just get tossed haphazardly in a box, and one day I threw them all out. I wish I even still had a fraction of the number of those I used to have in that box.

Another oddball thing. BitD, the FASA Star Trek box sets came with 2d10s. But they weren't "normal" d10s. They were those kind of plastic dice that used to be sold with D&D B/X or in those separate Dragon Dice blisters, but unlike those they were super sharp edged. They were used as d10s but they were actually d20s numbered 0-9 twice. I had a red one and a light blue one in my original Star Trek set, and I thought they were stupid. Why not just use a regular d10? Well... Time has made me nostalgic for those dice and has created an aura around them in my mind. I really wish I had a light blue one and a red one to replace the ones that are long gone. I think they were maybe Zocchi dice?

At this point I'm only really obsessive about Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1e and Games Workshop circa 85-91. I'd love a copy of Dwarfs: Stone and Steel (the last book Hogshead put out before they shuttered) but I can't imagine paying over $200 for something I'd probably open once then put away. Same for the self-published campaign A Private War and the extremely rare Blood on the Reik artbook.

My ~real~ grail would be the miniatures Citadel released for the early parts of The Enemy Within campaign. Compared to the wargames lines, the RPG side sold very poorly and were quickly discontinued. They hardly ever come up for sale in the US, each one is prohibitively expensive, and there are tons of them. Can't get enough of those distinctive Citadel sculpts though.
I've often wondered how much of a market there would be these days for a range with the kind of diversity and character GW offered before they went all plastic.

I not really a collector any more and before that the Internet and Drivethru reprints made much of was lost easy to find.

The one product I'd like to grab is the WEG Star Wars Introductory Adventure Game. I even more streamlined version of 1st edtion Star Wars with props is something I think would used in play.

I not really a collector any more and before that the Internet and Drivethru reprints made much of was lost easy to find.

Yeah, this is me as well. There just isn't much out there in the way of RPGs that I want to collect. I have a partial collection of the books for Midnight D20 and occasionally think about getting the rest, but then I get bored and wander off. Push came to shove, I could pare my collection down to Fate and Savage Worlds and be perfectly content for the rest of my gaming life.

I desperately want to find a hard copy of this baby:

B6971C39-392A-4BD2-AEB5-0234FB601039.jpeg

It has so many art pieces and ideas that I’ve obsessed over since my adolescence. I have it’s companion tome, Slaves to Darkness, but it just isn’t the same.

Last time I checked, it was crazy expensive and rare. I would so love to own it someday.

I had copies of both the Realms of Chaos books and sold them about 5 years ago. They are pretty and chock full of stuff, but they don't really serve WFRP which is why I originally got them.

View attachment 50158

It has so many art pieces and ideas that I’ve obsessed over since my adolescence. I have it’s companion tome, Slaves to Darkness, but it just isn’t the same.

Last time I checked, it was crazy expensive and rare. I would so love to own it someday.
I had both and they fell apart from use.

I don't have a book, but a while ago there was an old west miniature set by Knuckleduster Miniatures called "Sharp Dressed Band" that was clearly ZZ Top doing their Back to the Future III cameo. I've been kicking myself for not picking it up since the site I saw it on went down, and I've never seen it even mentioned anywhere else.

View attachment 50158

This came out during the time when GW had some really shoddy printing. My copies of this, Power Behind the Throne and Warhammer City didn't last a year before all the pages came loose. I expect that contributes to the rarity.

I haven’t played it that much, a couple times when it first came out. It is the Mad Max version of Defenders of the Realm. I remember it being fun but it has been probably a decade since it hit the table. I wouldn’t spend the $300 some eBay sellers are asking although now that I see that price I may play one more time and sell…

I haven’t played it that much, a couple times when it first came out. It is the Mad Max version of Defenders of the Realm. I remember it being fun but it has been probably a decade since it hit the table. I wouldn’t spend the $300 some eBay sellers are asking although now that I see that price I may play one more time and sell…
I think I picked it up for $15 from some guys shelf clearing sale.

I don’t want to dig it out at the moment but you can see my copy of Dungeon in the upper left, at the lower right are my well used two copies of original Siege of the Citadel
In my bedroom on my desk I’ve got the complete remake of Soege of the Cutadel in boxes from when Modiphius was dumping stuff post-license loss.

I think for the first time ever I don't actually have a White Whale or Holy Grail. I'm in a bit of a funk though so when that goes away I'm sure I'll want it all again. I do have most everything I've been looking for either in print or PDF.

Maybe the ashcan print of Talislanta 10th anniversary edition.

In my bedroom on my desk I’ve got the complete remake of Soege of the Cutadel in boxes from when Modiphius was dumping stuff post-license loss.
I have it from the kickstarter, I just never bothered to open the box. You can see it under the black Sentinels of the Multiverse ultimate collection or whatever they called the set with everything from the original game and it’s expansions.
46DA2CF9-86AB-4839-8131-4C8E78C0FA7F.jpeg

This came out during the time when GW had some really shoddy printing. My copies of this, Power Behind the Throne and Warhammer City didn't last a year before all the pages came loose. I expect that contributes to the rarity.
Yeah, my copy of Rogue Trader did that, so I hole punch and binderized the thing.

That’s two more than myself ever did. I’ve never saw the contents of this book, don’t even know what’s in there.

I know that a limited reprint was sold at a gencon at the beginning of 2000 (don't remember the year exactly)

I'd like...

A copy of XXV: The Buck Rogers boxed set. A friend of mine owns it and it got water damaged. I'd love to replace it for him.

A replacement for RUS, the Russian folklore RPG. A mate borrowed it and then we lost touch. Sad for me. I really liked this one and it's impossible to find online.

A replacement copy of Domination, by Starchilde. I had a copy but I can't find it.

I've a heap of stuff in my library mentioned above. Makes me wonder. I'm really only interested in PDFs these days anyway.

I've a heap of stuff in my library mentioned above. Makes me wonder. I'm really only interested in PDFs these days anyway.
I wonder about that myself. I go through the trouble of getting dead tree versions out of habit, but they're really just ornamentation to fit on my shelves in favor of the PDFs. And running out of shelf space (again!), I wonder about the level of insanity involved for me to keep getting them.

I wonder about that myself. I go through the trouble of getting dead tree versions out of habit, but they're really just ornamentation to fit on my shelves in favor of the PDFs. And running out of shelf space (again!), I wonder about the level of insanity involved for me to keep getting them.
I just don't have room on the boat.

I'd like...

A copy of XXV: The Buck Rogers boxed set. A friend of mine owns it and it got water damaged. I'd love to replace it for him.

A replacement for RUS, the Russian folklore RPG. A mate borrowed it and then we lost touch. Sad for me. I really liked this one and it's impossible to find online.

A replacement copy of Domination, by Starchilde. I had a copy but I can't find it.

I never heard of Rus before but after reading an old thread over at big purple I will buy it if I ever find a copy. All commenters agreed it isn’t good but this quote from a poster for the game has stolen my imagination:
"It’s -15 below zero. No food and no water. The wound in my left arm is festering. This helmet won’t sit straight since my left ear dropped off. Frostbite I think. The guy with the pointy ears eats like a pig. Kukufkin keeps talking to the fire. Things are getting heavy. Killed the werewolf. Gregorin wants the skin. Don't know why. The hut with the chicken legs is following us. More vodka....?"

There is current a module for the game on eBay for $40, I don’t want to admit how tempted I am to buy it…

edit to add, that didn’t take long, failed my will save :ooh:

Last edited:
I think one of my childhood gaming buddies had a copy of Rus that he picked up at our local con c. 1987-88. I know for sure he was considering buying it, not sure whether or not he actually pulled the trigger (and either way I haven’t spoken to that guy in ~20 years).

Back in the day I wondered about Man, Myth & Magic

Available Here on PDF
also available as 'Classic Reprint' on Amazon for about £16, which these days is about $4

What's in the box on Youtube

man-myth-magic.png

I think I got to know about this from adverts that ran in magazines and comics at the time. It looked great from the cover but in the UK it was tricky to get hold of. Reviews weren't great either.

Dragon-Magazine-0801.png

(From Dragon #80)

and White Dwarf #41 wasn't too enamoured either...

White-Dwarf-0411a.png

White-Dwarf-0411.png

As a side note I have a boxed set of Star Explorer, never played. Box has the by now standard caving but the contents should be mint. I had no idea it was this good, just thought it a board game version of Starships and Spacemen (or 'Starships and Spacewank' as one of the players called it. I liked it anyway. The players were just pissed because they couldn't turn the game into Outer Space Wild West and blast everything they came across. Well they did, but I hunted them down and court martialled them for it. Which ended the game :trigger: )

Anyway, author Herbie Brennan has something of a reputation for crunchy rules I believe and according to one of the comments on Youtube the rules felt 'incomplete' with some descriptions missing for items and such.

Anyway, I may take a punt but you know what they say about never meeting your heroes, it might be kind of like that about finally getting my hands on this after like, forty years or so.

I never heard of Rus before but after reading an old thread over at big purple I will buy it if I ever find a copy. All commenters agreed it isn’t good but this quote from a poster for the game has stolen my imagination:
"It’s -15 below zero. No food and no water. The wound in my left arm is festering. This helmet won’t sit straight since my left ear dropped off. Frostbite I think. The guy with the pointy ears eats like a pig. Kukufkin keeps talking to the fire. Things are getting heavy. Killed the werewolf. Gregorin wants the skin. Don't know why. The hut with the chicken legs is following us. More vodka....?"
I would totally buy a copy of Rus if I came across it again.

It's not about the rules. They were shit. But the glorious glorious ideas....

Have you lived on a boat?
For my part, I haven't lived on a boat, but I have lived on the water. The downsides outweighed the upsides for me. It's not just dealing with the water...
1664820148264.jpeg

The thing that really got me was the wind you get on the water.

For my part, I haven't lived on a boat, but I have lived on the water. The downsides outweighed the upsides for me. It's not just dealing with the water...

I've been living aboard for 3 years now. I certainly wouldn't want to be in a hurricane area, but I find the wind and waves fine. It's the swell from motorboaters that bothers me.

I have about 10 hardcopy RPGs aboard but the rest is all on iPad via PDF. It's not ideal but until they have a dual screen 15" tablet on the market, I'm going to slum it with an iPad Pro.

I have about 10 hardcopy RPGs aboard but the rest is all on iPad via PDF. It's not ideal but until they have a dual screen 15" tablet on the market, I'm going to slum it with an iPad Pro.
I picked up an iPad Pro. It's the first device I have actively enjoyed reading PDFs on.

View attachment 50284

I live on the water but my house is on a steep slope and at the top vs the bottom of the slope. So for me it's pretty awesome. Also I'm on a lake vs a coast. No huge tide action, wind issues.

Boats are a whole different thing. You're in a house that sits in an actively hostile environment. The odds of finding a cheap standard part is lower. Every part or person to work on it charges more so it really pays to be handy.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back