Who Put That There? Dungeon Edition

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

WitcherPunk

Pubber
Reaction score
Why is there a dungeon? Why is there treasure and monsters?
And why does everyone know about it?

Why, exactly, did the Dread Arch Lich build the endless catacombs?
Did he just like tormenting people by leaving inaccessible treasures guarded by undead abominations?
Or, did he leave an elaborate setup to choose a successor?
If a character can solve the traps instead of triggering them, will it give them clues to the 'real' treasure?

I have always had problems with the generic dungeon, and this thread is for expressing solutions
to those problems.

Your character needs to level up into a prestige class?
Okay, the tomb of testing for that prestige class is a must-go.
Not only is it necessary for the class change, if you do well enough in clearing the dungeon,
you could receive a blessing from your predecessors like a class-specific item, or a new spell to learn.

While tracking the Mad Minotaur Milkhemist, you find a warded cavern filled with medicinal herbs. Unraveling
the wards and transporting the herbs is the key to a reward that dwarfs the bounty for the rogue bovine.

Interesting!
I had not heard of those before.
I will try to find them and explore some more.
Thanks!

Why is there a dungeon? Why is there treasure and monsters?
And why does everyone know about it?

Why, exactly, did the Dread Arch Lich build the endless catacombs?
Did he just like tormenting people by leaving inaccessible treasures guarded by undead abominations?
Or, did he leave an elaborate setup to choose a successor?
If a character can solve the traps instead of triggering them, will it give them clues to the 'real' treasure?

I have always had problems with the generic dungeon, and this thread is for expressing solutions
to those problems.

You probably arn't looking for a different game, but the reason Earthdawn is my go to game is because it makes sense of all these D&D tropes.

Empire of the Petal Throne had a good take on this: when old towns and cities became too old/too small/weather-beaten/whatever/ they were buried and built over. This is how the underworld came to exist, and it was only natural that monsters/bandits/etc. would set up camp there. Sure, it asks as many questions as it answers, but for the purposes of a fantasy RPG, it works fine.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back