Why do some people try and divorce games from what they are?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
That having been said, when I play role-playing games, I like hackneyed cliches and tropes. I like dungeon crawls, evil wizards, savage, pig-faced Orcs, traps and treasures.
Hey man there's nothing wrong with that. If you are ever in Southern California look me up, you got a spot at my table for some heavy metal dungeoncrawling.

Hey man there's nothing wrong with that. If you are ever in Southern California look me up, you got a spot at my table for some heavy metal dungeoncrawling.

tenor.gif

"Why do people buy so many boxes of Legos if they're not going to follow the directions?"

Right now, I'm running a Spelljammer game in Old School Essentials (more or less) that is doing away with alignment... and spell slots... and dungeons... and dragons. I'm making my own D&Dish, OSRish... thing to create the exact experience that I've wanted from D&D ever since I first learned to play D&D, but if all three of the people who buy my shit play it exactly by the book and never use it to create something radically different... I'm going to feel like I've failed them, somehow.

"Why do people buy so many boxes of Legos if they're not going to follow the directions?"

Right now, I'm running a Spelljammer game in Old School Essentials (more or less) that is doing away with alignment... and spell slots... and dungeons... and dragons. I'm making my own D&Dish, OSRish... thing to create the exact experience that I've wanted from D&D ever since I first learned to play D&D, but if all three of the people who buy my shit play it exactly by the book and never use it to create something radically different... I'm going to feel like I've failed them, somehow.

That totally makes sense. I'm the opposite, but different strokes, right?. I sometimes feel like an oddball, because most people I know like to do a lot more writing/worldbuilding. Me, I just want to open the box (or book), read the rules and play.

I don’t like it RAW. I’ve never played a game RAW in my life. First rule that went away the moment I got my own books and started running my own “D&D” games was spell memorization. This was in 1991 (year that Dark Sun came out). By the time they introduced Sorcerers in 3e I was like “Oh, this is the way that wizards have always worked in my campaigns. But thanks for the idea of hawt witchy characters using Cha for spell casting now.”

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back