Winterblight's Challenge

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Winterblight

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I’ve just started tidying the office where I do most of my writing and I’ve discovered a lot of finished and unfinished drafts (adventures, settings, and other smaller projects) that for reasons beyond my control have never been paid for or published by those that commissioned them. This has been a bit of a wakeup call, so the next project I take on has to be something I can publish myself. However, I really enjoy the challenge of a writing assignment; it focuses my mind to the task much better.

A challenge is no good unless other folk know about it, so I’m throwing down the gauntlet to the PUB. Challenge Winterblight to write something RPG related!

A few guidelines are probably in order:

1. Willing to consider almost anything, but if I’m going to self-publish it needs to be sufficiently generic

2. Something manageable to start with. Anything from an individual creature write-up, to an adventure, or mini setting – inspire me with your ideas.

3. Genre: Fantasy or Sci Fi, but I might consider something else.

4. I have a basic grasp of Campaign Cartographer so a map to compliment the project isn’t out of the question, or even a map that is central to the project.

Challenge Winterblight and let’s see where this goes.

I’ve just started tidying the office where I do most of my writing and I’ve discovered a lot of finished and unfinished drafts (adventures, settings, and other smaller projects) that for reasons beyond my control have never been paid for or published by those that commissioned them. This has been a bit of a wakeup call, so the next project I take on has to be something I can publish myself. However, I really enjoy the challenge of a writing assignment; it focuses my mind to the task much better.

A challenge is no good unless other folk know about it, so I’m throwing down the gauntlet to the PUB. Challenge Winterblight to write something RPG related!

A few guidelines are probably in order:

1. Willing to consider almost anything, but if I’m going to self-publish it needs to be sufficiently generic

2. Something manageable to start with. Anything from an individual creature write-up, to an adventure, or mini setting – inspire me with your ideas.

3. Genre: Fantasy or Sci Fi, but I might consider something else.

4. I have a basic grasp of Campaign Cartographer so a map to compliment the project isn’t out of the question, or even a map that is central to the project.

Challenge Winterblight and let’s see where this goes.
How about a fantasy adventure which is a low-tech one in disguise? A star falls (ship crashes), a single astronaut survives and positions himself as a messenger of the god of thunder:smile:.
But a local plague makes short work of him, leaving behind his gun with 30+(1d6-1d6) HEAP bullets, which used to be 50. Now someone is styling himself sorcerer after guessing how it works:wink:.
Are you going to retrieve the Lightning Artefact and bring it back to the temple? Before or after the sorcerer can marry the king's daughter:grin:?

How about a fantasy adventure which is a low-tech one in disguise? A star falls (ship crashes), a single astronaut survives and positions himself as a messenger of the god of thunder:smile:.
But a local plague makes short work of him, leaving behind his gun with 30+(1d6-1d6) HEAP bullets, which used to be 50. Now someone is styling himself sorcerer after guessing how it works:wink:.
Are you going to retrieve the Lightning Artefact and bring it back to the temple? Before or after the sorcerer can marry the king's daughter:grin:?

Interesting idea. I will let my brain chew it over and see what it comes up with. What is a HEAP bullet? I'm not familiar with that term.

Interesting idea. I will let my brain chew it over and see what it comes up with. What is a HEAP bullet? I'm not familiar with that term.
High Energy Armor Piercing bullet.

How's about a location?

The High Swamp(s) of Thunder Maug.

Locations are good. Give me some basic facts about this swamp. Why are they called the High Swamps... are they in the mountains, do the swamps float in the air? Is Maug the name of a person, being or thing...

Last edited:
You know "blood Bayou" was a fun sourcebook from the d20 era and people liked the video game "Bloodborne" maybe it an idea worth revisiting. I'm thinking a fantasy Venice making trade deals with different underdark (undersea?) entities and then playing one against the other and is now experiencing some sort of corruption.

You know "blood Bayou" was a fun sourcebook from the d20 era and people liked the video game "Bloodborne" maybe it an idea worth revisiting. I'm thinking a fantasy Venice making trade deals with different underdark (undersea?) entities and then playing one against the other and is now experiencing some sort of corruption.
D20 pretty much passed me by. I was probably playing Shadowrun in those days. I will Google Blood Bayou.

Locations are good. Give me some basic facts about this swamp. Why are they called the High Swamps... are they in the mountains, do the swamps float in the air? Is Maug the name of a person, being or thing...
Yeps it's in the mountains.
Growing up, there was a small swamp area on top of the ridge where we did our huntin. Always struck me as being weird until my father informed me about the high clay content in the area.

I had Jon Roberts make me a MAP like a decade ago and we changed it to being at the top of the escarpment of the northwestern 'island'. Thunder Maug sounds RPGy?

Yeps it's in the mountains.
Growing up, there was a small swamp area on top of the ridge where we did our huntin. Always struck me as being weird until my father informed me about the high clay content in the area.

I had Jon Roberts make me a MAP like a decade ago and we changed it to being at the top of the escarpment of the northwestern 'island'. Thunder Maug sounds RPGy?

Nice map!

Ok Thunder Maug it is...

I will start a write up of the location next week and also start on the adventure idea suggested by AsenRG. I might call that one Godfall.

So here is the screen grab of map I've come up with for swamps of the Thunder Maug. Its only the 3rd map Ive ever created, so some parts of it were quite challenging and of course there is probably lots of stuff I could have done better, but overall I think I'm happy with it. Showing the swamp as sitting on a plateau was perhaps the most challenging part.

Time for an update!

THE HIGH SWAMPS OF THUNDER MAUG
A vast area of highland swampland, the Maug is the source of life-giving rivers whose waters irrigate a swathe of the inhabited lowlands. It is therefore ironic that the tales of troubadours and bards claim it to be the source of civilization’s most terrible plagues. Such tales, however, should not deter the curious, for pestilence and disease can be found in any swamp. Home to strange creatures and exotic plants, the Maug harbours an ancient secret, for scattered throughout its sunken depths are the lost treasures of a ruined city that all but a few believe to be nothing more than an ancient myth.
•Beldenfol Esslehoden, Pathfinder, Explorer, Bearer of the Delirium Scourge•

The first draft of The High Swamps of Thunder Maug is more than halfway to completion and will probably end up in the region of 10K words. I'm also tweaking the map. I'm currently detailing some of the creatures that are unique to the swamps.

GODSFALL - FORGE OF THE HEAVENS
Background
Godsfall is a strange and unusual land. Ruled not by kings and nobles, power is instead wielded by strange cults, eccentric clerics, and charismatic demagogues. Centuries had passed since the last gods descended from the heavens, but that changed with the arrival of Strache, the god of light and thunder. Inevitably, upheaval followed the arrival of a being of such power, but when Strache was struck down by a mortal plague, a young sorceress, Ziritt, demonstrated the ability to wield Strache’s divine powers and declared the age of gods to be at an end. With thousands flocking to her banner, war threatens to consume Godsfall as the faithful rally and cultists swarm the countryside recruiting for their cause.

Azonzo Skygazer, High Priest of the Powerless God, Osenko, presides over a dying religion, just one of many in Godsfall. Azonzo has spent his life studying the Codex Antiquorum Artificium, a work of the Powerless God detailing the many gifts the immortals created in the Forge of the Heavens and bestowed on their faithful. Unlike all the other gods, Osenko descended from the heavens bearing no gifts, claiming the enlightenment of education and knowledge was all that was required to enrich lives. Indeed, Azonzo’s lifetime of study has not been in vain, for he believes has made an earthshattering discovery. He believes he has discovered the secrets of the Forge of the Heavens. Given, Ziritt’s ability to wield Strache’s powers, he believes Ziritt may have also discovered those secrets.

The bulk of the writing is still to be done, but all the main events and locations are roughly mapped out. In this adventure the player characters have to raid a series of temples across the land of Godsfall, some are nothing more than ancient ruins, others fully functioning institutions. The player characters must steal an artefact from each and bring them together in the temple of Srache in and attempt to stop Ziritt bringing war to Godsfall. I'm hoping to play test some of the encounters with my gaming group this weekend.

Time for an update! I've been mad busy doing actual work and extra hours. Have to pay those bills. Even so, things have progressed a little. First is the shiny new logo created for WinterBlight's Challenge by Bob Whitely at QTGames.

WC_Red_logo_medium.png

Time for another update

WinterBlight's Challenge has released its first ever product Betrayal At Tarsus Mor a short adventure for low level characters. Using the Old-School Essentials third party license, the NPC use stat blocks compatible with Old-School Essentials, but the adventure is generic enough that it can be used in almost any fantasy game.

Each year, Lafaddius Eversweet leads the Caravan of Fools through the Valley of Long Shadows. To the small towns and villages, Lafaddius is a lifeline, bringing much needed news and trade. For most, it is a time of joy and celebration, but for a few, it is a time of sadness. Lafaddius recruits from among those that have come of age since his last visit. Offering a fair wage and a chance to see the great city of Tarsus Mor, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity young men and women of the valley can’t resist. For those left behind, however, it is often the last time they see their loved ones, for few care to give up the opportunities in the city to return to the danger and poverty of the valley.

There is, however, a sinister side to Lafaddius Eversweet. Often recruiting more labourers and guards than he can possibly pay, Lafaddius honours a long standing agreement with the slavers of Tarsus Mor. Betraying those he considers excess cargo, Lafaddius delivers them directly to the slavers using an elaborate con. When the player characters sign on to the Caravan of Fools they learn that harsh truth when they themselves face betrayal at Tarsus Mor.

Do the player characters find themselves in chains, destined to compete in the combat arenas beyond the Black Dune Sea, or do they heed fate’s warning, but face a stark choice – save those they travelled with from a similar fate, or confront Lafaddius Eversweet before the Caravan of Fools travels beyond their reach.

Any questions - please ask.

Blind Man's Alley is now up on DriveThruRPG

This mini-setting presents a series of locations, personalities, floor plans and adventure hooks. In Blind Man’s Alley, the gravity-defying buildings cling as tight to the cliff edge as its residents do to their purse strings. So steep is its winding street that the city watch looks the other way rather than brave its treacherous inclines.

Using the Old-School Essentials third party license, the NPC use stat blocks compatible with Old-School Essentials, but the adventure is generic enough that it can be used in almost any fantasy game.

One more from my unfinished works and then some of the stuff spawned by the original purpose of this thread.

I'm looking for a mechanic for the Pool of Transformation. In this encounter the player characters have to retrieve the Chains of Heavenly Power. The chains hang over the centre of the pool. The easy way to get the chains is to wade in and reach up and grab them. Touching the chains of course triggers the power of the pool. The purpose of the pool is to allow one of the gods in this adventure to transform the faithful into its image. If the player characters start the process while in the pool, there is a fair chance they gain one or more mutations, beneficial or otherwise.

I'm probably going to stat this out for Old School Essentials. I'm thinking a successful save vs death indicates the pool has no effect, a failure means they likely succumb to the power of the pool. If they fail, they have to roll on each of the saves. Each save has a category of mutations. for each category failed, a random mutation is generated.

Any thoughts, or can anyone one think of a more elegant solution that works?

AsenRG AsenRG If I can get my PDF/basic layout woes sorted, I'm close to getting is one up on DriveThru. Its turned into a much larger adventure than I intended with a gazillion maps. If you want a free copy PM me with your email address and let me know if you want your forum handle or actual name in the Concept By section of the credits.

AsenRG AsenRG If I can get my PDF/basic layout woes sorted, I'm close to getting is one up on DriveThru. Its turned into a much larger adventure than I intended with a gazillion maps. If you want a free copy PM me with your email address and let me know if you want your forum handle or actual name in the Concept By section of the credits.
Sounds great! And I'm impressed by your persistence, FWIW:thumbsup:!

Based on AsenRG AsenRG premise of a astronaut falling from the sky to a fantasy world, claiming to be a god and falling afoul of a deadly plague, WinterBlight's Challenge Presents: Godsfall - Forge Of The Heavens

For thousands of years, the gods have fallen from the skies, their blazing flame-wreathed chariots proclaiming their divinity to the world. As sure as the sun rises, war follows each new arrival, the new gods competing with the old, each rewarding their faithful with powerful gifts created in the Forge of the Heavens.

Throughout Godsfall’s history, pantheons have risen and fallen, and the land has become blighted by fanatical cults dedicated to its many dying religions. Everything changes, however, with the arrival of Strache, the god of Light and Thunder. Shortly after her arrival Strache is assassinated, not by another god, but seemingly by a mortal, a sorceress named Zirrit.

Somehow able to wield the most powerful gifts from the Forge of the Heavens, Zirrit declares the age of gods to have ended. Such declarations, however, do not go unanswered in a land aflame with zeal such as Godsfall. As the clouds of war gather, they promise a battle worthy of the end of times. The player characters find themselves caught up in events when they are hired to steal some of the most significant religious artefacts in all of Godsfall and bring them together on the Altar of Strache to stop the slaughter before it begins.

Can the player characters stay in front of the religious fanatics they have already stolen from as they search for the other artefacts they need to complete their task?

Requires Old-School Essentials Core Rules. Old-School Essentials is a trademark of Necrotic Gnome. The trademark and Old-School Essentials logo are used with permission of Necrotic Gnome, under license.

I've still some work to do, but up next will be the High Swamps of Thunder Maug as suggested by S Sommerjon .

How's about a location?

The High Swamp(s) of Thunder Maug.

High Swamps of Thunder Maug is almost ready to go. In the mean time: WinterBlight's Challenge presents The Hammered Hobgoblin

A hobgoblin shrine, a murdered monk, and an adventurer’s retirement plan. The Hammered Hobgoblin is a tavern with a bloody history – a history anyone could get caught up in for the want of a cold beer and a warm bed.

This location can be dropped into almost any fantasy setting. The Hammered Hobgoblin includes the following:
  • A short background
  • Location description
  • Location maps – Gamemaster and Player versions
  • Adventure hooks
  • Location poster map of the Hammered Hills
  • Location poster map of the Hammered Hobgoblin
The Hammered Hobgoblin Cover.jpg

Can I offer another challenge for this year?

Write me a location with sabretoothmen riding dynosaurs. A Lost World-like plateau would be nice, so it could be dropped into a random world. Twist: the sabretoothmen have seen other humans - due to a single powerful NPC having visited the place.
There are also remains of another, even earlier civilisation remaining on the (plateau) location.
Are there hints as to the location of the location being spread in taverns across the rest of the setting? By whom and to what purpose?
Well, that would probably depend on the motives of the NPC in question, so I'm leaving it up to you:shade:.

Write me a location with sabretoothmen riding dynosaurs. A Lost World-like plateau would be nice, so it could be dropped into a random world. Twist: the sabretoothmen have seen other humans - due to a single powerful NPC having visited the place.
There are also remains of another, even earlier civilisation remaining on the (plateau) location.
Are there hints as to the location of the location being spread in taverns across the rest of the setting? By whom and to what purpose?
Well, that would probably depend on the motives of the NPC in question, so I'm leaving it up to you:shade:.

I will have a think on that and see if I can come up with something :smile:

S Sommerjon

Fetid swamps, dank ruins, unique creatures and an ancient order of assassins. It is little wonder that in the Thunder Maug, death awaits the unwary.

This location can be used in almost any fantasy setting. The High Swamps of Thunder Maug includes the following:

• In-character Intro
  • Detailed location descriptions
  • Unique flora and fauna
  • Dungeon maps
  • Map of the Thunder Maug
  • Adventure hooks
  • Short history
  • Travel hazards and encounter tables
HighSwampsCover.jpg

The River Of Frozen Souls has shattered. As the remnants of this once mighty frozen fortress drifts south on the Sea Of Broken Blades, it carries with it the Anvil of Ice, a powerful artefact capable of bringing eternal winter to the world. Will this winter be your last?

The River Of Frozen Souls is a generic adventure set in the frozen north that can be used in almost any fantasy setting. This product includes the following:

• Adventure Background
  • Plot Synopsis
  • Three Chapters Detailing The Adventure
  • Travel hazards And Encounter Tables
  • 17 Dungeon Location Maps
  • Dungeon Creation Rules
  • Dungeon Dressing Tables
RiverOfFrozenSoulsCover V1.0.jpg

I'm going to toss a grenade and then duck out of the room. How about some nice elegant free-form magic rules for OSR games?

I'm going to toss a grenade and then duck out of the room. How about some nice elegant free-form magic rules for OSR games?

Its called WinterBlight's Challenge, not Kill WinterBlight! :grin:That actually might make my head explode. I generally don't do much in the way or rules or mechanics as I'm shite at them :tongue:

So to throw that grenade back - what exactly would you define as free form? Give me a rough example of what your thinking, so I can wrap my head around it.

The system used in Mage or Ars Magica might be the best example. Rather than spells, you have IDK call them widgets that cost X and the mage casts out of a power pool. So, lets say 1d6 damage is one widget, and 90' range is a widget, and you get two widgits per mana (there would be longer list of widgits and costs, obviously). So that rough equivalent to magic missle is a one mana spell. You get a guide for effect costs and a pool to cast from essentially, but each spell is constructed on the fly (although you can also have prewritten or Vancian spells in the same system as Ars Magica does).

I was mostly joking though.

The system used in Mage or Ars Magica might be the best example. Rather than spells, you have IDK call them widgets that cost X and the mage casts out of a power pool. So, lets say 1d6 damage is one widget, and 90' range is a widget, and you get two widgits per mana (there would be longer list of widgits and costs, obviously). So that rough equivalent to magic missle is a one mana spell. You get a guide for effect costs and a pool to cast from essentially, but each spell is constructed on the fly (although you can also have prewritten or Vancian spells in the same system as Ars Magica does).

I was mostly joking though.
Here's my attempt. Admittedly a bit sketchy and dependent on player-GM negotiation, but I was trying to keep it short enough for a one-page game.

Here it is!

Valley Of The Lost

Seemingly created by mad gods, the Valley of the Lost has been reshaped as if all creation has been allowed to run amok. Will you succumb to the toxicity of the Path of Madness or meet your end in the darkness of the Path of Shadows? Perhaps the guardians of the Path of Light will be your undoing or will you wander endlessly on the Path of the Lost until you meet your demise? These are the dangers that must be endured to reach the Ascent of Kings and discover the Valley of the Lost.

Infinite Worlds are detailed locations that can be used in almost any fantasy setting. Valley of the Lost includes the following:

• Location Background
  • Bizarre Places
  • Unique Creatures
  • Adventure Hooks
  • Hex map of Valley of the Lost
ValleyOfTheLostSnip.JPG

Here it is!

Valley Of The Lost

Seemingly created by mad gods, the Valley of the Lost has been reshaped as if all creation has been allowed to run amok. Will you succumb to the toxicity of the Path of Madness or meet your end in the darkness of the Path of Shadows? Perhaps the guardians of the Path of Light will be your undoing or will you wander endlessly on the Path of the Lost until you meet your demise? These are the dangers that must be endured to reach the Ascent of Kings and discover the Valley of the Lost.

Infinite Worlds are detailed locations that can be used in almost any fantasy setting. Valley of the Lost includes the following:

• Location Background
  • Bizarre Places
  • Unique Creatures
  • Adventure Hooks
  • Hex map of Valley of the Lost
View attachment 30405
I'm glad you took the challenge to heart:thumbsup:!

If anyone else has any challenges for Winterblight - feel free to post them

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back