Woman believed to be the last American Civil War Widow dies

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Giganotosaurus

Dreaming of Electric Sheep
Reaction score
This is an article that I figured some folks here would like to see:
For those who arn't familiar with United States history, the Civil War was fought between 1861-1865, which is what makes her being a widow of a veteran so unusual.

That was my sister's plan. Marry a rich 90 year old and inherit his will. She didn't but growing up, that was always the plan.

Ya'll should read the full article, She said that he offered to marry her so that she could get his pension. It was during the great depression so money was tight. No physical relationship, she didn't even live with him. She actually kept the whole thing secret for a long time because she didn't want people to think he was a creep.
Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Ya'll should read the full article, She said that he offered to marry her so that she could get his pension. It was during the great depression so money was teigh. No physical relationship, she didn't even live with him. She actually kept the whole thing secret for a long time because she didn't want people to think he was a creep.
Interesting. This was a plot point in Downton Abbey!

Ya'll should read the full article, She said that he offered to marry her so that she could get his pension. It was during the great depression so money was teigh. No physical relationship, she didn't even live with him. She actually kept the whole thing secret for a long time because she didn't want people to think he was a creep.

Apparently, that happened quite often.

But, it is still amazing that the last Civil War widow has just died. I was amazed to hear that some were still alive a few years ago.

It's a really fascinating peculiarity of history, my father has a book called Confederates in the Attic, that among other things, talks about this type of situation. IIRC the last veterans of the Civil War died in the early 1950's. I can't imagine living so long and seeing the rapid technological progress in such a short period of time.

It's a really fascinating peculiarity of history, my father has a book called Confederates in the Attic, that among other things, talks about this type of situation. IIRC the last veterans of the Civil War died in the early 1950's. I can't imagine living so long and seeing the rapid technological progress in such a short period of time.
My grandma went from horse and buggy to 747's in her lifetime. Just lived long enough to go from being a telephone switch operator to using the internet in the 90's but she never did use that. My parents have lived from a age when several friends paralyzed from polio to a vaccine for a brand new disease developed and rolled out in less than a year.

I've lived from when a desktop calculator was a multi hundred (maybe thousand in 2020 dollars) dollar device and Pong being a state of the art home video game to having a relative supercomputer with global wireless data available cheaply.

For work I'm often working with seniors, I recently had a chat with a 93-year-old woman and as a fan of history I love to hear their stories. I find they are also quite good at storytelling, a skill that is in decline I think.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back