Worlds of Wonder

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Wild Goose

Pubber
Reaction score
worldsofwonderboxset.jpg
3-7f8778c7da.jpg

I never had this, but remember when it came out being intrigued by the idea of the interdimensional city of Wonder, and that you could use the same characters in the different 'worlds'. Did anyone play it like that? Perhaps using the city of Wonder as an equivalent of Westworld's Delos. Or did you just use the individual systems separately, ignoring the portal aspect?

I've got it. We never played it the way you suggested but that would have been cool. We we're buying just about everything Chaosium back then.

My ears are burning.

I've never owned the boxed set--I wish I did--but I do have pirated PDFs somewhere! I've not played the Magic World or Future World parts of it, but they are all the same rules with different settings. I believe the premise was that you could take your PC from one "world" to the other and need not make any changes as they are all compatible with each other. The rules are old-time BRP. I was never interested in the "interdimensional crossover" or "Westworld" implications. (I'm the kind of guy who never used other "planes of existence" in D&D. Just not interesting to me.)

When Super World proved to be the most popular, it got its own full-fledged boxed set with more detailed powers and more intricate combat (action ranks based on Dexterity, for instance, so some heroes will get more actions per round than others). Here are examples of superhero write-ups for Worlds of Wonder
20181224_080907.jpg
contrasted with some for Superworld.
20181224_080925.jpg
As you can see, things got somewhat more complex.

And that's about the extent of my knowledge.

I ran a bit of Magic World, I love the magic system there, it's one of my favorites. Future World was cool, fusion back packs, force fields, and bear men. It's a really neat set, tight, universal, and functional.

I've got that box set but the only crossover stuff we did with it was while running Superworld... heroes gate jumping to other worlds and such.

I had the boxed set back in the day, but never really played it because I liked level-based games more than skill-based. I like the fact that you could combine this with Stormbringer and CoC and other RQ-like systems.

I bought the WoW boxed set around 8 years ago, but never made use of it. It was a little too simplistic for my taste. I found Future World and Magic World to be a little blah (compared with Stormbringer or RuneQuest), and I'm not into superhero stuff so never looked at Super World. Got rid of it a couple of years ago.

I bought the WoW boxed set around 8 years ago, but never made use of it. It was a little too simplistic for my taste. I found Future World and Magic World to be a little blah (compared with Stormbringer or RuneQuest), and I'm not into superhero stuff so never looked at Super World. Got rid of it a couple of years ago.
Up until that last sentence I was hoping to make you an offer. But the cheapskate side of me is glad.

I think Sentry Box in Calgary still has one unopened. Anyhow, one thing about wow is that it's complexity level is on par with Call of Cthulhu rather than Rune Quest. No strike ranks or hit locations here.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back