You folks recommend any horde-killing games?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

GiantToenail

Gundarr wuz heer
Reaction score
I thought about the games I enjoyed the most playing a while back, and I remember having the most fun in a game by making a solo custom match in Battlefront 2 and setting it to be an endless horde of rebel assault infantry and me being the last standout heavy-mg trooper in the deathstar's hangar and it was the coolest thing.

You folks have any horde killing games you can recommend? It doesn't matter how good/bad old/new big/small easy-to-get/hard-to-get singleplayer/multiplayer the game is or whether the horde-mode is a teeny gamemode within the game or what the game's all about, I want to make a list to tick off overtime and quality videos to watch on YT in my off-time; To stir the pot, I've got some examples.

Established/Popular

Games like BF2 where you can create your own horde game by setting up a custom match with varying abilities, enemies, weapons, vehicles and so forth; Also Overwatch's workshop mode/Halo's Forge and games with a similar mode.

A pseudo-horror horde killing game like BF2's Ewok hunt mode, AVP 2010, or GTFO where you're either trapped in an small-arena/large-area and have to kill horrifying creatures in the pitch-black with a dinky flashlight to survive or explore around a complex/large arena to look for stuff while killing gremlins or breaching/clearing rooms filled with gremlins specifically.

An online round-based/session-based horde killing game with/without MMO bells & whistles like upgrades, auras, equipment/team/hero synergies or whatever else; RDR2 defending blackwater, Killing floor 2, World War Z, Spacelords, Warframe, Payday 2, Alien Fireteam Elite and Sniper Elite Zombie Army/deadfall adventures, the last two include traps and deathzones/holes and shiny buttons to activate them with; include games with that if you can.

An improvised horde killing game, like having buddies wear certain gear and have them invade you over and over again or use Nito's covenant in Dark Souls.

DukeNukem/Serious-Sam/Doom where the whole game is horde killing in a variety of different sized locations and weapons without upgrades/grinding/exp while parkouring around old-school with crouch/jump, or a self contained medal/challenge/time mode like Doom 2013's horde mode.

Any game where it can be modded in, Fallout/skyrim in particular with modding in hordes of ghouls/draugr in to guard caves/dungeon along the world or roving bands travelling around and infecting whiterun if you don't stop it; Even Multiplayer if it's Skyrim together.

A melee horde killing game like verimintide/Ryse: son of rome where you rely on melee weapons and use ranged weapons sparingly, Even the tutorial arena mini-horde in Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings counts for me.

Games with a mode dedicated to horde killing, like CoD zombies, Gears of War, Mass Effect 3 or some of the Resident Evil games

Online servers dedicated to it like Gmod or similar games.

Even battle-royale style games like PUBG zombies or Evil Dead: The game

Dayz and other survival/simulation/realism games are too slow for me, State of Decay is the closest I'll get to this type of game when I'm in a horde killing game mood.

Speculation/Obscure

Or PvPvE games like Evolve

Or maybe something really cinematic I haven't heard of yet, like holding off incoming german soldiers from your injured buddy with a one-shot pistol with a killer soundtrack and effects but as a whole game/gamemode

Or maybe soley as a vehicle/weapon emplacement/sniper

or maybe a cool misson in a story/campaign game that has you taking out hordes, DarkVoid had this with gun emplacements and climbing up/down a sheer cliff.

or something Top-Down like Relic Hunters Zero, Assault Android Cactus, ANVIL, and Livelock

or something similar to splatting undead in a car like Crackdown 1/2 or saints row 4 style openworld events/pips? Or like those minigames in Watchdogs 1 you could access from your in-game phone

maybe something action adventure like God of war/Darksiders/Dante's inferno?

something where the horde killing isn't the focus but still a large part of the game? Like going for objectives in Deep Rock Galactic.

or something really out there and thematic like the Earth Defense Force games?

Games like left for dead/back for blood? I've really been racking my brain/scraping the bottom of the barrel for these last few along with stretching the definition of a "Horde killing game".

Edit: Added more games

Last edited:
Not sure if this is what you mean but to me a lot of Bullet Hell games are Hordekilling games.

My wife and I play a lot of horde co-op shooters.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is currently on Steam sale. The game does not bring anything new to the scene but it executes the basics well.

Since this one is freshest on my mind I can offer a mini-review
  • The fireteams consist of 3 players which is perfect for me and probably a lot of others as well.
  • There is enough equipment and perk variety to give it some depth without requiring deep system mastery in order to synergize a plethora of miniscule advantages into something meaningful (major pet peeve of mine).
  • Polished - I've encountered no bugs, typos, bad UI etc.
  • Cool class system with interesting roles; I enjoy the Gunner who is the basic 0311 Marine rifleman in modern terms.
  • It "feels" like the Aliens universe and not just a generic horde shooter with a slap of Aliens-themed paint. Fans of the 1987 film will want to check out.
Dying Light and Remnant may not strictly qualify as horde games but they are both excellent and scratch that same itch. Highly recommended.

Helldivers! We sunk a lot of hours into this one. It is a top-down controller game, tons of fun.

Gears V multiplayer has 3-player campaign co-op but also two kinds of co-op PvE, Horde and Escape, each with a very distinctive feel.

We've played the entire franchise of Orcs Must Die! It's a combination of shooter and tower defense. I think the franchise peaked on the second one.

Strange Brigade. I really wanted to like this one because 1930's pulp is cool but the game is expensive and boring.

Unpopular opinion but I feel like the Vermintide franchise is overrated and grindy. I'm not really using my brain, just button mashing while trying to memorize maps.

7 Days to Die. Survival and zombie hordes. My wife loves this and apparently a lot of others do as well but it bores me to tears.

The Borderlands franchise is quite popular but it's played out for me. We couldn't finish Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, it just got too repetitive.

There are more games but most of those were pretty lame, like Fortified which slapped a cool 1950's Martian invasion aesthetic on Orcs Must Die gameplay but failed miserably in execution.

Last edited:
Dying Light and Remnant may not strictly qualify as horde games but they are both excellent and scratch that same itch. Highly recommended.

I wanted to love Dyling Light so much, but the headbobbing + rapid pace meant that after playing it for a couple of hours, I was very violently sick. It and VR Doom are the only FPS that have done that to me, so this isn't a common thing.

I want to try it again some time, but I am Wary.

I wanted to love Dyling Light so much, but the headbobbing + rapid pace meant that after playing it for a couple of hours, I was very violently sick. It and VR Doom are the only FPS that have done that to me, so this isn't a common thing.
That's too bad. I just pawed through several old threads on Reddit and Steam where people suggest editing the game files to remove nausea-inducing head bob; unfortunately, I cannot confirm whether altering the game files prevent you from playing online with others. Other people have said that turning off motion blur worked for them. That said, the game has had 7 years of updates so I am hoping the developers implemented a toggle or setting to address that issue.

I want to try it again some time, but I am Wary.

Sadly the developers haven't made an ingame option for this. Which is weird because there is in Dying Light 2, at least on PC. As someone who both dislikes the effect and also get sick from it, I found a guide to turn it off. I don't remember if I could still play online though, but give it a try.

Here's the link to the guide on how to remove the headbobbing from Dying Light.

Disable headbobbing in Dying Light

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back