Your Favorite Black Hack Hacks (or other OSR mechanics)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
So I'm planning on running an OSR Fantasy game here, PbP of course, sometime in the near future. Of the many, many, OSR rules sets I have I've settled on the Black Hack as my base rules set, for both ease of rules acquisition and compatibility with the pretty wide range of modules and supplements I have from various companies. I'm planning on doing a little hacking of my own of course, some exploration stuff from Into the Wryd and Wild, and some delving stuff from Veins of the Earth, and an idea or two from Five Torches Deep and LotFP. That part I got.

What I wanted to ask was what kind of personal favorites do you guys have for Black Hacking, or specific rules from other OSR games that could be hacked into BH? I'd like to get some ideas from outside the echo chamber of my own head, and from OSR games I don't own. I've read way more OSR than I've played or run outside of a couple of rules sets, so some feedback from the vets out there would be greatly appreciated.

I thought Mecha Hack was pretty good... though at the same time like, I'm not sure if that would be useful for your game :B.

Cool. I wasn't really after whole book hacks though, most of which I own, but rather specific mechanics that you really liked.

The Petal Hack is excellent, Tekumel in 60 pages, the system seems eminently playable.
That, and the Deed die from DCC.
Also, the approach to number of attacks per level from Crimson Blades and Spellcraft&Swordplay, as well as the attack matrix from EPT.

That, and the Deed die from DCC.
Also, the approach to number of attacks per level from Crimson Blades and Spellcraft&Swordplay, as well as the attack matrix from EPT.
Look, calm down short form. What's EPT? Crimson Blades I'll check out.

Look, calm down short form. What's EPT? Crimson Blades I'll check out.
I'd advise you to check Spellcraft&Swordplay first,it has a free quickstart (although it, alas, doesn't explain the stunting rules).

I'll add a +1 for Crimson Blades. As written, the game is somewhat of a d6 version of Elric! (with all the serial numbers filed off), but it could easily be used for all sorts of settings. I really like the mechanics in Crimson Blades.

Firstly, I prefer roll-over which is easy to switch over to use. Just roll a d20 and add your Attribute with a target number of 20.

Heroic Fantasy by Graham Spearing (based on TBH) has a great addition: Aspects. A one sentence descriptor of a feature of your character that, when relevant, provides you with Advantage. Or maybe Disadvantage. Basically a less complicated version of the idea from Fate.

I'm fond of the Skill system alternatives presented in The Knack Hack but I have been working on my own Skill system for TBH for a while as well. I have a thread over at TBP about it. However, I've since discovered Warlock! and I think it's Career/Skill system would work pretty well instead.

I also like the Infamy rule from the OSR version of Fallen Justice. It gives you a rating to represent how notorious you are in the setting. You gain some bonuses based upon this (XP and damage are the ones I seem to recall). I'd use it like a stat too, in a way similar to Heat in Nights Black Agents, that you make a check against to avoid being recognised by authorities. Overall, it's a fun mechanic for Sword & Sorcery type games or ones where you're playing criminals.

The previously mentioned Deed die from DCC is quite good fun. Another one I'd adapt for Sword & Sorcery games.

I'll add a +1 for Crimson Blades. As written, the game is somewhat of a d6 version of Elric! (with all the serial numbers filed off), but it could easily be used for all sorts of settings. I really like the mechanics in Crimson Blades.
That's exactly what it is! I have a slight preference for the 2d6 multiple actions of Spellcraft and Swordplay instead of the d6 dicepool of Crimson Blades, but it's ultimately a really slight preference... and it mostly pertains to the option for stunts (which you do with a check or checks and expending a number of actions for commesurably greater effect).
Either way, the magic system in CB is great!

The only thing I'd do is remove the spells from sorcerers, and make demons ubiqituos, but you can only perform the ritual if you get the +1 bonus for favorable circumstances:shade:.
And maybe merge it with some hints from Ron Edwards' Sorcerer when it comes to managing your demons because it really shouldn't be an easy life if you go for demon summoning...:devil:

OK, maybe I'd allow magic spells, if you get a Patron (yes, as in DCC:tongue:) and serve it well enough that it would grant you spells:grin:!

You don't see this mentioned often on these boards. I backed this on Kickstarter and really like it.
I think it's fabulous. It's adds some great creeping dread and body horror to exploration, plus some nice mechanics of course. I tend to use it in parts rather than as a whole book for the most part, but that's what I wanted it for. I really like the monsters, and I love the art.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back