Your favorite covers (music)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
I came upon this by happenstance today and listened to it out of curiosity only to discover an amazing interpretation that I actually like at least as much as the original by the Psychedelic Furs:

I clicked "play" fully expecting it would either suck or bring nothing new to the song. I didn't expect to listen all the way through several times.

So: what are your favorite covers of songs?

“You Baby” by the Lovin’ Spoonful

“Mr Tambourine Man” by the Byrds.

“You Really Got Me” by Van Halen.

“Do You Wanna Dance” by the Beach Boys

“La Bamba” by Los Lobos

“Only The Young” by Journey

“Hurt” by Johnny Cash

Sometimes you're so used to the cover that the original sounds off. I grew up on the Replacements so this version is the one that sounds right to me:

Judas Priest did a great cover of Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust".

Most heavy metal covers of non-metal songs suuuuuuuck. That's because these metal bands seem to think that simply adding guitars and screaming makes a cover "metal" or "good". But some bands realize that you have to find what made the original good, and build from there.

Also, all of my posts of Dickies songs from the punk thread would fit right in here.

Last edited:
I will never stop being grateful for The Cardigans' Black Sabbath obsession.

]

A cover artist called The King, doing some covers that the real King never did :shade: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Echo's cover of the Door's "People are Strange". (they were so good Ray Manzarek toured with them as their keyboardist)

Foo Fighters do a *lot* of excellent covers. One of my favorites is their cover of Gary Numan's "Down in the Park"

Foo's cover Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street"

While I'm not partial to her music normally - Aurora's cover of "Teardrop" from Massive Attack is gorgeous.

Also, I'm a sucker for a cover of groovy 60s Europop/psychedelic rock...

Tenacious D The Last in Line

Tenacious D is often thought of as a parody act, but this was from the the tribute cover album for Dio. Jack Black is a huge metal fan, and Dio in particular and that really comes through in this cover.

CHVRCHES covers Bela Lugosi's Dead

And yes.. I'm cheating. Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah" is probably the greatest cover ever. Transcendent.

Parralox covers "Eye in the Sky and Sirius".

Two for the price of one!

This one is practically a whole new song:

I'm eh on the Wilson Pickett/Allman cover. But... that Otis Redding cover... I feel that. I FEEEEEEL THAT!

How about that Sebastian Bohm remix of Blue Monday for Wonder Woman!

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back