Your favorite game system you wish had more success?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Questers Of The Middle Realm is very quirky and it does have that annoying script font, but you can erasily run it for classic fantasy dungeon crawls and whatnot, much easier than D&D in many ways. It really is quite good, despite it's indie production.

I keep forgetting about Monkey, Ninja, Robot but I should just get it for quirk value alone.
There's also Truth & Justice and Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies (those are the only two I have)

Prose, Drama, Qualities
PDQ.

I came back to mention this, because I forgot to do so in my previous post.
Seems like others are already onto it however. Good to know it occasionally gets some appreciation.

PDQ is one of those 'narrative/fiction-first' generic/multi-genre systems, with very simple straightforward mechanics to cover most situations.
Characters are made up of an assortment of individualised narrative descriptors (Qualities) which have numerical values attached to them.

View attachment 55366

The core mechanic just rifts off those descriptors when need be, and there's not much to it after that.
Your descriptors can be damaged/depleted, so that's the capacity tracker/HP.
It means there isn't any bloat on the character sheet, just the character description and a few narrative descriptors with numbers attached to them.
Everything fades into the background quite well, it's very free-form at the table.

Such a simple system, and IMO it deserves to be as just as prominent as Cypher, Fate, Everywhen/BoL, or PbtA
I have a few PDQ books and they are gold, very handy to pick up and run with

Easy enough for anyone to check out the PDQ free core mechanics
Then decide whether to buy a couple of titles like Jaws of the Six Serpents, Questers of the Middle Realms, The Zorcerer of Zo, etc
Those books are all digest-sized, and probably some of the best value for money titles in my collection
I'm half interested in converting my kids D&D game to Questers Of The Middle Realm and be done with it
It's really easy enough to convert any setting you want if you like handwaving thing

Another system similar to PDQ is Chaosium's HeroQuest (retitled Questworlds in the next forthcoming edition), wherein the characters just have a bunch of often individualised narrative descriptors (Keywords) that have values assigned to them, and resolved by the same core mechanic.

I don't feel HQ suited the setting of Glorantha (which hums better with a gritty version of BRP like RQ).
HeroQuest would have been really good for a rollicking Action/Adventure setting like Indiana Jones or Uncharted, or perhaps a Crime Detective Noir setting or something like that, but it just didn't feel suited for Glorantha for me

Both HQ and PDQ systems are really quite good, although I found that PDQ was more straightforward and clear than HeroQuest was.
Both systems didn't get much support by comparision to most games. HeroQuest was sporadically supported for a bit (although many just bought the setting books for Gloranthan lore, and used BRP/RQ), whilst PDQ only had a couple of small books to it's name.

It's criminal that both HQ and PDQ the PDQ didn't get more recognition, they are both very adaptable.
In particular, PDQ feels like such a missed opportunity
I really feel like I only lack for a good, high quality space opera PDQ-based game. I've rechromed S7S for that purpose a number of times, but I'd have loved to have seen one in print.

As for HQ (another game I love), I'm hopeful if perhaps a bit naively optimistic that 2023 will be the year we see QuestWords (what HQ has been rebranded to) officially released, complete with print support and the promised supplements.

I really feel like I only lack for a good, high quality space opera PDQ-based game. I've rechromed S7S for that purpose a number of times, but I'd have loved to have seen one in print.

As for HQ (another game I love), I'm hopeful if perhaps a bit naively optimistic that 2023 will be the year we see QuestWords (what HQ has been rebranded to) officially released, complete with print support and the promised supplements.
Well with the high production quality of current Chaosium products, HQ (QW) may actually become a much more prominent game.
I think the trick is for it to leave Glorantha behind as a default setting ( or just have one book for it), as RQG pretty much covers Glorantha.
There are lots of other genres that HQ/QW would be perfect for, so lets see where it all ends up

There's also Truth & Justice and Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies (those are the only two I have)
I have not heard much about Truth & Justice, it sounds like a Supers game for PDQ, but I did read reviews about Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies, probably because it got more exposure due to being published by Evil Hat. It sounded pretty good from the reviews, but that was some time ago now.
Although it is likely still available in pdf format, I don't think Evil Hat has physically reprinted the book due to low sales.

In many ways PDQ is one of those systems that the world is passing by.
Which is a shame, considering how simple and rules-lite it is.

PDQ could easily be a good framework for a more prominent range of settings.

Last edited:
2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th? (I assume we will not discuss 6th. And 1st Ed was Champions only.)
For me, Champions 4th edition was the sweet spot and my first foray into the system. I kinda liked Champions New Millennium for the whole numbers and simple math, but it lacked something. To me, 5e and 6e are just too much.
I love Prose Descriptive Qualities. I think my favorite incarnation was Truth & Justice.

A while back there was a big thread on TBP about PDQ. I guess Chad Underkoffler left the TTRPG scene.

If you like PDQ and would like to see a similar treatment, I would recommend grabbing a copy of Sword's Edge System by Fraser Ronald. It is essentially PDQ with a d10. DriveThruRPG has a nice bundle with a bunch of adventures plus the core rules.

I have not heard much about Truth & Justice, it sounds like a Supers game for PDQ, but I did read reviews about Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies, probably because it got more exposure due to being published by Evil Hat. It sounded pretty good from the reviews, but that was some time ago now.
Although it is likely still available in pdf format, I don't think Evil Hat has physically reprinted the book due to low sales.

Truth & Justice was, in my opinion, good PDQ game. And a pretty darn good superhero game in general. But it does suffer a little from being one of the earlier PDQ games. It's definitely got some rough edges.

If you like PDQ and would like to see a similar treatment, I would recommend grabbing a copy of Sword's Edge System by Fraser Ronald. It is essentially PDQ with a d10. DriveThruRPG has a nice bundle with a bunch of adventures plus the core rules.
From the preview it does look very much like PDQ, it even has the descriptors termed as 'Qualities'
I've placed it in my DrivethruRPG wishlist :shade:

It was fairly popular and remains kind of a cult classic still reliably showing up at a lot of conventions, but if the standard is just more popular, then I have to go with HERO. I'm happy with any 3E to 5E as each have their pros and cons. 4E if I can only pick one.

As a more obscure game that could really use more popularity I'd pick Ghastly Affair.

Against the Darkmaster.

It's early days for the game, though, so perhaps it'll become more popular over time.
MERP was quite popular back in the day but that probably was in large part thanks to the Middle-earth connection.

I loved the MERP system -- it seemed to include the best parts of Rolemaster but without the needless complexity and surfeit of charts. I have long wished for a "de-Tolkienized" version of the game, and Against the Darkmaster delivers.

Agree MERP was a nice level of detail. I liked RM but it could be too much, MERP was easier to manage and didn't feel like it gave up much to do it. Really a shame they didn't give it a generic fantasy make over when they lost the Tolkien license, but I guess ICE was running into bad times by that point.

Unfortunate thing with AtDM is it isn't clearly related to MERP in the description and it has a kind of forgettable generic title. Every time I see it mentioned I assume it is another D&D clone until someone mentions it is sort of a MERP clone. I also confuse it with Age of Shadow and Shadow of the Demon Lord.

And Greg Porter/BTRC's system is really slick. I love his designs, but they never catch on.

Yeah, now BTRC is a company who's games should be more popular. He has a lot of clever ideas, but CORPS and EABA are both pretty obscure.

Speaking of BRP, I would love to have seen Magic World get expanded into an entire line, perhaps with a Classic Fantasy meets Folk Fable flavour (I’m thinking Brothers Grimm influence). That would have been pretty cool

I think MW was a serious missed opportunity. The title was too generic, the timing was bad with the re-organization of Chaosium and then it has had pretty much zero follow on support.

With a complexity similar to CoC I think it had the potential to have been able to gain a decent amount of popularity if it had been better marketed. It really needed a title linking it to S&S fantasy, and desperately needed some follow up support to help it gain some traction. With the ease of using RQ and Mythras material in a less crunchy game it is a perfect "RQ-lite" option and deserved a better fate.

Did Boot Hill ever get a retroclone?

BH 2E and 3E are both available POD at DTRPG, which would make a retro-clone kind of unnecessary in my mind.

The real humdinger was Task Force Games' Delta Force, my favourite ever modern combat system wrapped up in a terribly niche anti-terrorist game. It did get one supplement, but that was it. I converted all of Classic Traveller over to it, and ran it that way until the big folder of rules got thrown out when I was out of the country, the 5 1/4" floppy discs with all the tables didn't work any more, so I moved on to GURPS Traveller as the next best thing. But that system was a thing of beauty for any self-respecting gun freak.

View attachment 55273

View attachment 55274

View attachment 55275

There was the Delta Force Companion which is probably the supplement you are thinking of, but it also got several modules. DF is a terribly forgotten game which is a real shame. Like Behind Enemy Lines which it is clearly derived from it holds a really nice level of detail and simplicity as well as being close to the line between small unit wargame and RPG. I think a big issue DF had was being published by Task Force Games, a company better known for its pocket games. I remember looking at DF in the 80s and passing on it since I knew nothing about it, and TFG had no track history with RPGs. I discovered it around 2000 on a Morrow Project Yahoo group, as it was a popular optional system there for running MP. It would be a good alternative for Twilight 2000 as well.

I've been pecking away off and on at a heavily BEL / DF inspired system for years (I am easily distracted and discouraged).

Traveller: The New Era. Maybe if it had done better (though according to GDW staffers of the time it was doing okay) GDW wouldn't have died, and I really wanted to see where TNE's various meta-plot threads ended up (and I don't normally like meta-plots). Also, then we'd have gotten new/more 2300AD product and maybe other GDW games redone, and more options for FF&S, and...

The other one is current - GURPS. Doing better would mean more cool stuff to buy, and actually getting the Vehicle Design System instead of not.

I've read in a couple of places that GDW didn't really die, they were just tired and with the downturn in RPGs and some troubles near the end they just threw in the towel and closed up the business. Mark Miller had already left with Traveller, Loren Wiseman went to SJG and Frank Chadwick has written some fiction.

This looks like a lot of fun, not sure why he felt the need to use a D&D base but from the description I can see how it would work. Will have to pick this up, maybe wait for the second edition?

GA is D&D based, but only at a surface level. It maintains a basic D&D level of complexity, but the rules are modified to work with the setting, and there are differences from D&D. The setting is not just slapped over a D&D clone system. I think it could work fairly well for a dramatic period game faithful to Gothic literature, as well as more actiony stuff like Van Helsing.

I liked it enough to start reading Gothic Literature as homework.

Fringeworthy. The first honest game of transdimensional exploration.
Coming in a close second....
Bureau 13: Stalking the Night Fantastic

These games, despite some bad editing decisions, were simple, easy to play, and a heck of a lot of fun. The system was adaptable and easy to do things with. Tri-Tac was designed from Grognards, by Grognards... thus lost a lot of potential players.

These games have had D20 and other game system adaptions. People like them. Just the original games, languish in obscurity. (Who even remembers the B13 novels and the video game?)

Tri-Tac was great. The games were creative and well thought out even if they suffered from the common 1980s poor writing (rules were often vague or absent). Stalking the Night Fantastic is still one of my favorites.

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th? (I assume we will not discuss 6th. And 1st Ed was Champions only.)

My ideal HERO system would be sort of a 3-1/2 to 3-3/4.

Well technically 2nd and 3rd( I believe) were also only either Champions or the various other genres. They played well together but not perfectly. Skill and ability costs I believe varied by product so no guarantee a guy from Espionage would transfer properly to Champions or Justice Inc. I believe they only unified things under 4th edition.

2E was Champions, Espionage and I think Autoduel Champions.
3E included Justice Inc, Danger International (basically an expanded and updated Espionage), Fantasy HERO and Robot Warriors (a mecha book few people saw).

There were numerous point cost issues going between the Supers in Champions and the lower powered heroic level games, but no real issues going between the different heroic level games. Espionage was kind of left on its own as it assumed 50/50pt PCs vs the 75/75pt of the 3E games. Espionage was basically made redundant by DI anyway.

We frequently ported the special abilities between DI, JI and FH. I never saw Robot Warriors until I tracked down a copy on Ebay years later. RW was released shortly before HERO went dark for a bit before returning with 4E, so I don't think a lot of copies made it onto shelves.

Well with the high production quality of current Chaosium products, HQ (QW) may actually become a much more prominent game.

I think the trick is for it to leave Glorantha behind as a default setting ( or just have one book for it), as RQG pretty much covers Glorantha.
There are lots of other genres that HQ/QW would be perfect for, so lets see where it all ends up

I have Mythic Russia for HQ and it is great, but I really wish it had been done for BRP, I just can't get excited for HQ.

Last edited:
I’ll toss the Resistance System by Rowan, Rook, & Decard. They use it in both Spire: The City Must Fall and Heart: The City Beneath. Love both those games, particularly Spire.

Both have been reasonably successful, but I wish the system was used more by others. It’s available for use through a (truly) open license, but I’m not aware of many projects that use it.

I feel it’s a system that can be tweaked slightly to deliver a variety of styles and genres. The core system is simple, class abilities and fallout are where you can really open things up.

Toadmaster Toadmaster i had the BRTC games of the 90’s Timelords and Warp World with the original system, same with all the Tri Tac games. I had The Morrow Project. Twilight 2000, Freedom Fighters, The Price of Freedom, and Recon but sadly not Delta Force.

There was the Delta Force Companion which is probably the supplement you are thinking of, but it also got several modules. DF is a terribly forgotten game which is a real shame. Like Behind Enemy Lines which it is clearly derived from it holds a really nice level of detail and simplicity as well as being close to the line between small unit wargame and RPG.
Ah, yes, I keep forgetting those.

I've read in a couple of places that GDW didn't really die, they were just tired and with the downturn in RPGs and some troubles near the end they just threw in the towel and closed up the business. Mark Miller had already left with Traveller, Loren Wiseman went to SJG and Frank Chadwick has written some fiction.
They had various troubles, some due to poor decisions, others outside of their control, and in the end closed up shop. At that point Frank Chadwick and Dave Nilsen were the last full-time employees. GDW at that point still controlled all its IPs - they were split up after it was wound up with people getting properties in accordance to some formula that was written into the companies' constitution when it was formed. Marc Miller got Traveller, Loren Wiseman got Twilight:2000, Frank Chadwick got a bunch of wargames and Space:1889, and so on. That's what Loren said, as I recall it ~20 years after the conversation, anyway.

Loren sold Twilight:2000 and his other IPs to pay bills and living costs and later moved down to SJGames to work of their Traveller licence. I'm not sure what he was doing when he passed away. I miss conversations with him (and John M Ford, for that matter) on the old Pyramid message boards.

Dave Nilsen went back to defence contracting (which pays a heck of a lot better), and I don't know what he's doing these days, but it's not in gaming as far as I know.

They had various troubles, some due to poor decisions, others outside of their control, and in the end closed up shop. At that point Frank Chadwick and Dave Nilsen were the last full-time employees. GDW at that point still controlled all its IPs - they were split up after it was wound up with people getting properties in accordance to some formula that was written into the companies' constitution when it was formed. Marc Miller got Traveller, Loren Wiseman got Twilight:2000, Frank Chadwick got a bunch of wargames and Space:1889, and so on. That's what Loren said, as I recall it ~20 years after the conversation, anyway.

Loren sold Twilight:2000 and his other IPs to pay bills and living costs and later moved down to SJGames to work of their Traveller licence. I'm not sure what he was doing when he passed away. I miss conversations with him (and John M Ford, for that matter) on the old Pyramid message boards.

Dave Nilsen went back to defence contracting (which pays a heck of a lot better), and I don't know what he's doing these days, but it's not in gaming as far as I know.

The GDW guys seemed pretty nice. In the mid 90s there was a general RPG site that had a bunch of game specific sections and way down in the ghetto section of the site there was a Twilight 2000 specific forum. Frank Chadwick and Loren Wiseman used to post there fairly frequently and not just the usual company guys answering questions. Frank in particular would regularly make posts with game related stuff that hadn't been included in any published supplements, he would also get really involved in threads about stuff in the game like any other player would.

I think it was RPG dot com, it wasn't TBP, but was similarly named because yahoo often suggested dot net first and I had to scroll down to find the actual one I wanted. This other site died off by the early 2000s.

I remember the b13 novels. My friends and I read them in high school. We played a short campaign of it using palladium heros unlimited. Those were fun games. Good memories.
I don’t know; there was a lot of HQ support for Glorantha IIRC. Personally, I think it’s a game that deserves to be buried by the sands of time. Even Chaosium realised that all it had going for it was its title. The best idea was that each player is a band rather an individual but that seemed to get lost as soon as the title was acquired to replace Hero Wars.

Just reading your PDQ description suggests a more PBtA vibe (one dice mechanic does all the work). Is that fair?

I've got a lot of time for PDQ too. I'd love to see a toolkit or core book produced now, under an open license, with options from all the various flavours of PDQ.

I bought the HP Lovecraft Preparatory Academy a couple of years ago and that has an interesting take on PDQ. It's a Skill-based approach to characters that I think could be combined with Qualities (replacing the Arcane Abilities maybe) to make something akin to Fate. Interestingly, Chris Birch said somewhere that Starblazer Adventures was originally going to be based on PDQ (possibly in the foreword to the rulebook) and I could see HPL Prep's version being a great basis for a PDQ edition of Starblazer. I doubt that would ever happen, as Starblazer Adventures is long forgotten I think, but I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

They invested a lot into lines that didn't move as much as they needed. That was the largest part of what did them in.

Edited to Add that their Desert Storm book did gangbusters, and they used that money to expand. Then the Desert Shield book didn't do as well, and other lines collapsed too.

Last edited:
They invested a lot into lines that didn't move as much as they needed. That was the largest part of what did them in.

Edited to Add that their Desert Storm book did gangbusters, and they used that money to expand. Then the Desert Shield book didn't do as well, and other lines collapsed too.
The Desert Shield book didn't just not do well, it did really badly and as it was through the normal book trade, they had to take back all the returns and refund on them.

Then there was the Magic: the Gathering thing, which depressed the sales of everything else. And the Dangerous Journeys/Mythus suit, which cost them a ton of lost development time and production time.

Mongoose Legend.

I find Mythras being a bit too rules-heavy, and not very user friendly. I'll extrapolate. I have a physical copy of Mythras. I tried running Monster Island with it, like intended. For me, it was mostly about hex exploration and semi-random encounters. Yeah, I rolled a quill-shooting cactus and the description said somewhere along these lines: "this poison works exactly as poison X, except it has the properties of Y and Z". Well, I tried to dig out the description, but it was not in the corebook. Instead it was buried somewhere else entirely. That is not the kind of obstacle I care to run into when winging out stuff for the players to do. Take note Design Mechanism guys.. If a stuff does something, you put the rules right in there, you kind of have to make them in a fashion that doesn't make me cross reference multiple books. That's does not contribute into good GMing in my opinion.

Technically it was the other way around. The Desert Shield book (published after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait but before the US invasion of Iraq) sold really well because it was released at the perfect moment when people wanted more info about the unfolding situation. Then the US invasion happened and the war ended quickly, and by the time GDW’s Desert Storm book was released major combat operations were already over and people didn’t care anymore (plus GDW printed and distributed way too many copies, using the sales of the Desert Shield book as their benchmark).

In addition to costing GDW a bunch of money (because they had to eat the cost of the returns) it also locked them out of book trade distribution because they owed money to the book trade distributors who wouldn’t carry any more of their titles until it was paid off, which put them at a competitive disadvantage at a time when they could least afford it (due to Magic and other CCGs really taking over the hobby end of the trade).

GDW was my all-time favorite game publisher. Almost everything they released was good, and all of them were very approachable and happy to talk with fans because they all were fans themselves first and foremost. While it was (and still is) very sad when they closed up shop, it’s a consolation that they did so on their own terms and didn’t lose their IP to bankruptcy or a third-party acquisition a la TSR, SPI, Avalon Hill, etc.

Technically it was the other way around. The Desert Shield book (published after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait but before the US invasion of Iraq) sold really well because it was released at the perfect moment when people wanted more info about the unfolding situation. Then the US invasion happened and the war ended quickly, and by the time GDW’s Desert Storm book was released major combat operations were already over and people didn’t care anymore (plus GDW printed and distributed way too many copies, using the sales of the Desert Shield book as their benchmark).
Sorry, got those the wrong way around. The first one also had no competition, whilst the second one was just one fact book amongst many.

The sad thing is that they didn't blow the money from the first book, but spent it on upgrading their equipment, so they were about the only gaming company that had desktop computers, layout software and all at the time. No more literal cut and paste!

Sorry, got those the wrong way around. The first one also had no competition, whilst the second one was just one fact book amongst many.

The sad thing is that they didn't blow the money from the first book, but spent it on upgrading their equipment, so they were about the only gaming company that had desktop computers, layout software and all at the time. No more literal cut and paste!
Yeah, I got them wrong way around too- should have remembered, because Desert Storm was actually a larger book- Desert Shield was really just a booklet.

And yeah, the expansions weren't a wasteful choice, just an unfortunate one. If they'd banked that to have some solidity and hadn't oversold themselves into the mainstream (they weren't in that market before that, if I remember correctly), then they'd have been able to weather the MTG downturn better.

Yeah, I got them wrong way around too- should have remembered, because Desert Storm was actually a larger book- Desert Shield was really just a booklet.

And yeah, the expansions weren't a wasteful choice, just an unfortunate one. If they'd banked that to have some solidity and hadn't oversold themselves into the mainstream (they weren't in that market before that, if I remember correctly), then they'd have been able to weather the MTG downturn better.

I got one of those books (I think the Desert Shield one) at Costco, so they were very well disbursed.

And gods yes a larger font please! I’ll repeat thar a thousand times (my poor eyes)!
Didn't RQ6 have those useless "old-style" ligatures? And its de-copyrighted version Mythras now these tiny fonts. So I'm not sure how they'll continue that progression in the next version. Papyrus headings, Comic Sans body?

Oh, did someone mention SLA Industries? I liked the core mood of the game, with the post-late-stage capitalistic planet ruled by a singular company, everyone just being a hired corporate killer. From what little I used it, the system seemed to have worked and gave the resident gun enthusiasts ammo types to talk about ("Should we use HESH? Too expensive?")
Of course, ignoring that leaked "behind the scenes" document where it went all Dallas.

Mythras as well talked about as it is here is largely unjustly unrecognised in the broader community. And gods yes a larger font please! I’ll repeat thar a thousand times (my poor eyes)!
A lot of why I have no particular opinions on Mythras are because I can't easily read it, even on a large monitor. The fint's large enough when displayed on my 32" screen, but it's spindly, so it's still hard to read.

A lot of why I have no particular opinions on Mythras are because I can't easily read it, even on a large monitor. The fint's large enough when displayed on my 32" screen, but it's spindly, so it's still hard to read.
Hmm, do I have a different Mythras PDF than others? On my laptop screen, with the 3rd printing PDF is displayed at maximized page width, I find it plenty readable.

I feel your pain

Didn't RQ6 have those useless "old-style" ligatures? And its de-copyrighted version Mythras now these tiny fonts. So I'm not sure how they'll continue that progression in the next version. Papyrus headings, Comic Sans body?

Oh, did someone mention SLA Industries? I liked the core mood of the game, with the post-late-stage capitalistic planet ruled by a singular company, everyone just being a hired corporate killer. From what little I used it, the system seemed to have worked and gave the resident gun enthusiasts ammo types to talk about ("Should we use HESH? Too expensive?")
Of course, ignoring that leaked "behind the scenes" document where it went all Dallas.
I played and ran a fuck ton of SLA Industries in the 90s. It was my favorite game for a long while despite the mediocre system and inconsistent publishing schedule.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back