Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I love this movie. Sometimes in spite of its qualities rather than because of it, but it's always going to have a place in my collection.

Judging by the video Voros posted this movie is a little bit too low-budget retro trippy for me, but that floating stone head god is genius.
It was directed by John Boorman, also noteworthy for doing Deliverance, Excalibur and quite a few others you've probably heard of.

Zardoz has definitely got that 1970-ish trippy aesthetic by the bucket, and the whole movie feels quite surreal. IMO it was actually a bit crap as a film and was mainly noteworthy for the over-the-top trippiness of its look-and-feel. Having said this, there are some real classics of that era, such as A Clockwork Orange or The Prisoner, that are actually pretty good.

It's amazing how quickly that fad came and went. It first got into mainstream cinema in the latter part of the 1960's and was pretty much dead by 1975, The last movie I can think of with even a shred of that vibe was Logan's Run, and even then it was quite a lot tamer than Zardoz.

Last edited:

I ran a d20 Modern 'extended one-shot' - we played something like four or five times, I think - in which the characters were Sandmen and Runners escaping The City; once outside, they discovered ape men on horseback with primitive human slaves, captured on farms populated by barbarians who worship a great flying stone head, while ruined cities outside the dome were filled with white-eyed religious fanatics who shunned the sun . . .

I drew from Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes, Zardoz, The Omega Man, THX-1138, Soylent Green, even Sleeper - all the 70s dystopian sci fi movies I watched as a kid from the backseat of my parents' Chevy Bel Air at the Pickwick Drive-In in Burbank. It was really fun as referee fitting all those different movies and concepts together as a single setting.

I'll once again mention that my favorite review for this movie states that it's one of those films where you can see all the drugs used in production up there on the screen. You watch this movie, and there's no doubt where the budget went.

I'll also note that there was a brief window in my life during my 30s when I watched Zardoz and it made perfect sense and came across as deeply profound. I was not high at the time, so I don't know what the hell was wrong with me.

Zardoz is on Disney+ y'all.
Thanks, but I got this one on BR for Christmas.

You know, in a way Zardoz is actually perfect anti-date movie.
Speaking from experience, it's not an ideal date movie, but it's a better choice than Antichrist or Requiem for a Dream. Those are some solid date killers.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back