Zweihander - Available in oh-so decadent dead tree?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
This is a new revision. After the KS for Main Gauche, and the resultant printing of the expansion book, Daniel Fox chose to also incorporate errata and the like into the new core book offset print.

We are enjoying Zweihander very much. It’s size is initially intimidating but most of the page count is not stuff that gets referred to during gameplay (mostly the massive career and bestiary section). The gameplay is a lot of fun and the PCs feel varied and competent without being heroic.

Ok so:

Dead tree revised edition released next week? (at least according to amazon, nothingo n Asmodee's release sheets).
But I can buy the Kindle version (or the pdf) now?
I like the idea of a Kindle edition, PDF's are still something of a nuisance (wfrp4e is not well organised)
Main Gauche is sort of out now on pdf, but only in 'early access'; what does that mean?

Early access means you get access to the text but will get the full version when released. The full version is already available to backers and preorderers, and Main Gauche releases this month I believe.

I am doing a Let's Read of this over on the Big Purple...

Full disclosure: Daniel sent me a copy of the new book. It won't affect my opinion.

Never played or even read WFRP or Zweihänder before.

FWIW, the new hardcover is excellent, really a quality physical product.

Unfortunately I've over spent on dvd's.

No grim and perilous for me unless someone I get a win on ebay :grin:

Can’t speak to editions but I’ve seen hard copies of Zweihander at two different Barnes & Noble at this point

Can’t speak to editions but I’ve seen hard copies of Zweihander at two different Barnes & Noble at this point
Yeah, the Revised edition is at B&N but not FLGS in my neck of the woods.

Just got my physical copies of both ZH and MG. The physical quality of both is superb, and the plentiful art of consistent high quality and focussed themes really make an impact in the flesh.

Just got my physical copies of both ZH and MG. The physical quality of both is superb, and the plentiful art of consistent high quality and focussed themes really make an impact in the flesh.
Waiting on my copy of Main Gauche, but I definitely concur that the art is a standout feature of the Zweihänder.

The binding is pretty fabulous too. It actually seems to acknowledge the page count and use of the book.

The binding is pretty fabulous too. It actually seems to acknowledge the page count and use of the book.
For sure. Zweihänder lays flat wherever you open it, which is great at the table.

I hate to be so uninformed, but can somebody tell me about this game? Is it like another game? What are its general styles of play or whatever. Why would I want to play it?

I really know nothing about this game. :sad:

I hate to be so uninformed, but can somebody tell me about this game? Is it like another game? What are its general styles of play or whatever. Why would I want to play it?

From what I've read, it's a heartbreaker of WFRP 2e. It strives to fix 2e's balance issues. I say "from what I've read", because I have Zweihänder, have read and am using it, but have never done more than skim WFRP.

That having been said, I like the game a lot.

I did a pretty extensive review here on the Pub. Unfinished, but that was just the final summation. I abandoned it for...reasons.

I'm on my cell, but I'm sure you could find it in search pretty easily

EDIT: HERE..

Zweihander Review Part I
Zweihander Review Part II
Zweihander Review Part III

Last edited:
Y'know what, my posts were snarky, and added nothing to the discussion. I'm just gonna delete them, apologize to all involved, and now out of the thread so hopefully it can get back on track.

Last edited:

It’s basically someone’s attempt to fix certain known issues with WFRP2e. I personally found it to be a good attempt, showing understanding of 2e through extensive play, and not trying for a wholesale redesign in the process. It does add some crunch as a result, but less than the page count would have you believe.

It’s very comprehensive. The corebook and Main Gauche cover almost all of the crunch elements of 2e’s entire line.

It’s stripped of the Warhammer specific setting though it still contains much of the vibe and components of that setting. We have been using it for a Joe Abercrombie inspired setting and it has proved much easier than it would have been using WFRP 2e.

The art is superb. Lots of it and all by the same artist, who really gets the 1e aesthetic IMO.

Just got my copy of Main Gauche yesterday. Same great construction. I like that it seems to enhance Zweihänder without adding a bunch of new rules. Just skimmed it so far, but that's the impression I'm getting. It adds new professions, for example, but still adheres to the same archetypes. That's one of the great features of Zweihänder's design, IMO, it's easy to add or remove stuff to your taste. It's a very modular design. I used the chase rules from the core book in my last session, and they were really fun. Not too complicated, but different enough to put a new twist on things. My players remarked upon it, saying it really made the session pop. Super excited to crack into Main Gauche.

NOT dead tree, but the Zweihander PDF and NEW optimized-for-phone PDF are bundled and FREE for the next 72 hours...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back