Anime Art Inspiration Thread (probably NSFW)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
none of these are ai generated afa I'm aware.

Seriously blown away by the talent of many of these artists. Colors, shading, textures, just mind blowing.

I don't want to start a new thread (yet), but what RPGs would cover an anime-influenced game that features high-school aged protagonists:angel:?

I don't want to start a new thread (yet), but what RPGs would cover an anime-influenced game that features high-school aged protagonists:angel:?
In order of recommendation

HeartQuest
Ninja High school
BESM - Build one but the game is designed with this in mind.

smallville (it is played as an anime with cooperative players)
High school harem comedy
M&M with the Mecha and Manga supplement
Oddity High - PbtA
PbtA- Girls by Moonlight, unless you want sailor scouts
sailor moon RPG, unless you want sailor scouts
PbtA - Glitter Heart
TFOs - mechanics, but no setting material

Fudge - Build One
Anima Prime - Build one
OVA - Build one

Honorable Mentions
Hellcats and Hockey sticks
school daze
D&D5, with the right "homebrew" elements (and there are a lot of the right ones for doing what you want).

There are some minor ones floating around the net. Allegedly a Gurps Anime exists and is available somewhere

In order of recommendation

HeartQuest
Ninja High school
BESM - Build one but the game is designed with this in mind.

smallville (it is played as an anime with cooperative players)
High school harem comedy
M&M with the Mecha and Manga supplement
Oddity High - PbtA
PbtA- Girls by Moonlight, unless you want sailor scouts
sailor moon RPG, unless you want sailor scouts
PbtA - Glitter Heart
TFOs - mechanics, but no setting material

Fudge - Build One
Anima Prime - Build one
OVA - Build one

Honorable Mentions
Hellcats and Hockey sticks
school daze
D&D5, with the right "homebrew" elements (and there are a lot of the right ones for doing what you want).

There are some minor ones floating around the net. Allegedly a Gurps Anime exists and is available somewhere
...a couple things spring to mind.

There's an RPG called "high school harem comedy", I'm wondering whether I want to know:shock:. There's too many (for my tastes) PbtA and narrative games on this list.

Now, do you mean "build one" as in "prune stuff out and make a game based on this" or "build a campaign"?

And last but not least, why is OVA so low on your list?

Now, do you mean "build one" as in "prune stuff out and make a game based on this" or "build a campaign"?
Build the campaign, the game will have all the pieces

There's an RPG called "high school harem comedy", I'm wondering whether I want to know
You really don't. But if you know that sub-genre of anime, it would work.

There's too many (for my tastes) PbtA and narrative games on this list.
There are a lot of PbtA and Narratives in the Anime and school space. These are the highlights

And last but not least, why is OVA so low on your list?
Compared to game higher on the list: more fiddly, less playable at the table, more work to use for this kind of game. Other than being pretty, not a lot going for it when compared to other options.

Last edited:
Build the campaign, the game will have all the pieces
Thank you. Makes sense.

You really don't. But if you know that sub-genre of anime, it would work.
I know the sub-genre. It's, however, not what I'm looking to run for this group...:grin:

(Hint, two of the likely players are likely to be underage, and one of them is my daughter. I really would rather not subject her to that...and if she likes the genre, which I kinda doubt, a different Ref is likely to be a better option:thumbsup:!)

There are a lot of PbtA and Narratives in the Anime and school space. These are the highlights
Yes, but then I'd have to run it, so we're also looking for something that would make me happy as well...:tongue:

In other news: games based on 5e, 2d20, PbtA and with extra-heavy narrative leanings might as well not exist for the above purposes. We are who we are...::honkhonk:

Compared to game higher on the list: more fiddly, less playable at the table, more work to use for this kind of game. Other than being pretty, not a lot going for it when compared to other options.
...you find OVA fiddlier than BESM:shock:? I really don't think OVA can actually stand that comparison (and yes, I've played/run both, albeit equally briefly), but a lot of our opinions are based on perceptions, after all.

Is there a good rpg for playing non-shitty anime? :clown::devil::gooseshades:

Right. Adding TFOS to the list.

Sailor Moon was there already:shade:!

Also, I like the pictures you've found:gooselove:!

TFOS is a classic, probably one of the first English language anime rpgs.

Satoshi Kon (last one is fanart for Kon's Paranoia Agent)

Paprika-059.jpgmain-qimg-536dbaad6dad7a484bd2dfc59e185897-lq.jpegExgsjiyWQAEiP3G.jpg

Last edited:
The Wings of Honneamise
the-wings-of-honneamise-thora-113010.png

Mob Psycho 100
MV5BMWJmZWNkZTQtZWE4MS00YzE3LTgxNTgtY2RkNjBkYzlkYTJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjAwNDUxODI@._V1_.jpg

Angel's Egg
angel-s-egg-1985.jpg8C96tajuW2hOAyEGmZxt6rw3TJH.jpg

34a15cf51a01eb887b329ae479100966.jpg
No cellphones, no distractions. Just 2 people living in the moment.

Also, that whole micro-scene would make for an amazing Corpo to Street Samurai background.

Also, that whole micro-scene would make for an amazing Corpo to Street Samurai background.

From Akira btw. The second is from Up on Poppy Hill and I'm not sure but believe the third one is from Patlabor.

From Akira btw. The second is from Up on Poppy Hill and I'm not sure but believe the third one is from Patlabor.
Yep. Right before a motorcycle riding clown comes flying through the window in a way that says he ain't walking again and he took a couple of people with him.

I.e. not realistic in a contemporary manga setting...:shade:
There's a reason why in contemporary manga/manhwa when one or more protagonist is in a scene in a bar, restaurant, karaoke, lounge, whatever...about half the action consists of text received and sent:grin:!

From Akira btw.
Well, that explains it:thumbsup:!

...and yet now I want to play or run something cyberpunk-ish::honkhonk:!

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

09ccf9e7bc512ef8a5448e46a97d4164.pngpuella_magi_madoka_magica-10-kyubey-12.jpgmadoka-magica.jpg

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back