A Fantasy Game

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

David Johansen

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I've noodled around with a simple d6 based fantasy game for years. The long lost, original Bare Bones (no relation) game I wrote on my Amiga 500 was much along these lines. A while back there was a Tunnels and Trolls thread where I talked about what I'd do with it and this certainly is descended from that, so here it is A Fantasy Game. I'm afraid to report that it's not at all wargamey and doesn't have vehicle design rules :sad:

A Fantasy Game
Here, then is a game of thrilling adventures, narrow escapes, deadly foes, and terrible monsters. It is, by intent, simple, flexible, and somewhat abstract. The game is played by a group representing heroic adventurers in a bygone age of magic and mystery. One player takes on the task of The Master, narrating and describing the world, events, and all the things within it while the players each take on the role of a single character, responding to the narrators descriptions by describing the actions of their character.

To create a human character roll 3d6 for Agility, Class, Fortune, Health, Knowledge, Looks, Move, Strength, Personality, and Talent. Other species roll different numbers of dice. First level adventures can add one point to three different characteristics.

Don’t worry if you’ve got bad rolls, characters die and then you can always make another one.

Agility reflects the character’s sense of balance and reflexes and is used to navigate obstacles, perform acrobatic tricks, shoot missiles, and fight.

Class gauges the character’s social status and wealth. They start with one piece of silver per point of Class but it also reflects their ability to connect and call in favors from family and vassals. A Class of fifteen or higher indicates the character comes from noble blood.

Fortune indicates how lucky the character is. Luck is used to avoid the unavoidable and achieve the unachievable.

Health measures how tough and resilient the character is. Health is used to resist poisons and fatigue, and absorb damage. Health has a sub-attribute, hit points which are reduced by damage.

Knowledge tells you how sharp and educated the character is, it is used to learn spells and tested to recall obscure bits of lore.

Move shows how fast the character can run and is compared to find out who wins races or who the wolf catches.

Perception tells you about the acuity of the character’s sight, hearing, smell, and taste. It is used to detect traps and ambushes.

Strength measures the character’s size and muscular development. It determines what weapons the character can use. Weapons do one die of damage for every three points of Strength and one handed weapons do one die of damage for every six points of Strength.

Talent is how magically attuned the character is and is used to power spells.

Dwarves
Agility 3d6
Class 3d6
Fortune 3d6
Health 4d6
Knowledge 3d6
Looks 3d6
Move 2d6
Perception 3d6
Strength 4d6
Talent 2d6

Elves
Elves see equally well in daylight and darkness.
Level 1
Agility 4d6
Class 2d6
Fortune 2d6
Health 2d6
Knowledge 3d6
Looks 4d6
Move 3d6
Perception 4d6
Strength 3d6
Talent 4d6

Faeries
Level 1
Faeries can fly and see best in twilight.
Agility 4d6
Class 1d6
Fortune 3d6
Health 1d6
Knowledge 3d6
Looks 4d6
Move 4d6
Perception 4d6
Strength 1d6
Talent 4d6

Weefolk
Agility 4d6
Class 3d6
Fortune 4d6
Health 3d6
Knowledge 3d6
Looks 3d6
Move 2d6
Perception 3d6
Strength 2d6
Talent 2d6

Experience
As a character adventures the grow in ability and skill. They need one thousand experience points per level. Each level they can advance three different characteristics by one point. Player characters start at first level and thus can advance three characteristics.

Equipment
Two handed weapons do 1d6 damage for every 3 points of Strength, +1 per point between dice.
One handed weapons do 1d6 damage for every 6 points of Strength, +2 per two points between dice.

Bows can fire twice per round but do damage as a one handed weapon. Crossbows do damage as two-handed weapon. Slings do damage as a one handed weapon. But ammunition is free.

Weapons cost one piece of silver per die. 10 arrows or bolts cost 1 silver piece.

Armor gives the character extra hit points which it loses before they lose the hit points from their health. The most armor a character can wear is equal to their Strength. Armour costs 1 sp per point.

Provisions cost 1sp per week. A character can carry two weeks worth of rations by carrying dried biscuit but by the end of the second week they’ll be backed up like a twelve chariot pile up.

Lanterns cost 3sp, fuel oil 1 sp per hour, a dozen torches with rags dipped in pitch cost 1sp.

Tests
The outcome of a characters actions are determined by rolling a number of dice to reflect the action’s difficulty. If the roll is less than or equal to the Characteristic being tested the action succeeds.

Routine 1d6
Easy 2d6
Average 3d6
Challenging 4d6
Difficult 5d6
Hard 6d6

Combat
When a fight breaks out it can be in bowshot or melee range. If it starts at bowshot, missile weapons and spells can be used for one round before anyone on foot can close to melee range. Fighters within melee range can each chose to block one enemy, preventing them from reaching the shooters and magicians. Fighters with thrown weapons can choose to throw them as the enemy closes instead of making a melee attack.

Test Agility to hit with thrown and missile attacks. The difficulty is 3d6 for large targets, 4d6 for medium targets, and 5d6 for small targets.

Melee and thrown attacks also test on Agility but are always 3d6. One melee attack can be parried each round by testing Agility on 4d6. Missile attacks and spells can be parried on 5d6. A character with a shield or additional hand weapon can parry two attacks per round. Shields parry on 3d6 and can parry missile attacks and spells on 4d6.

When an attack hits its damage is rolled and subtracted, first from the target’s armour then their hit points. They are killed when their hit points reach zero.

A character heals one hit point per day.

Magic
The arcane arts provide many abilities but it can be hard to find teachers and scrolls and books of ancient lore are dearly treasured. Learning a spell requires an Intelligence score ten points higher than the spell’s level. If a teacher can be found it costs 10 pieces of silver per level to learn a spell.

Spell effects are generally immediate and persistent but not necessarily permanent.

Blast
Conjure
Detect
Deflect
Heal
Illusion
Protect
Scrye
Smite
Summon
Zap

Blast
A flashy explosion catches numerous foes. Any group in melee range can be targeted. The damage is 1d6 per 2 levels.

Conjure
Magically fills a volume with a material. The volume is determined by the density of the material. Eight cubic paces per level of air, four of mist, two of feathers, one of water, a quarter that of earth, and eighth of stone or metal. The material evaporates after an hour.

Detect
Makes one desired type of thing per level glow for a minute per level within missile range of the caster.

Deflect
Parries a number of attacks and spells equal to the spell’s level.

Heal
Restores hit points equal to the spell’s level to a subject within melee range of the caster.

Illusion
Creates an image with sounds and even smells, but is it real or was it summoned? The illusion is two cubic paces per level and lasts for a minute per level. A Perception test on 4d6 will reveal the trickery as will making physical contact with it.

Protect
Provides a target within melee range of the caster with 3 armour points per level that stick around for an hour if not destroyed.

Scrye
Projects the caster’s senses one hundred paces per level for one minute per level. The caster is oblivious to events immediately around them while scrying.

Smite
Adds 1d6 per level to the damage of a melee attack made by a subject within melee range of the caster.

Summon
Calls up a creature or creatures with a total level equal to the spell’s level. The creatures appear at melee range around the caster and vanish after one minute per level.

Zap
Shoots a target at missile range for 1d6 damage per level.

Monsters don’t usually need a full stat block, just Agility, Health, Move, and Strength are generally sufficient but the full block is listed. You can multiply their Class by their level to get their treasure value in silver pieces. The monsters have an average rating listed that can be used instead of rolling for their Characteristics just to speed things up.

The level of creatures assumes 3d6 for each stat at first level and 3 levels for each additional die above those thirty. Combat balance is based on Agility, Health, Move, and Strength with the average being 12 dice between them.

Dragon
Level 16, Combat Level 7
Flies
Blast Level 4
Agility 3d6 (10)
Class 10d6 (35)
Fortune 3d6 (10)
Health 6d6 (21)
Knowledge 4d6 (14)
Looks 2d6 (7)
Move 4d6 (14)
Perception 4d6
Strength 6d6 (21)
Talent 3d6 (10)

Giant
Level 3, Combat Level 6
Agility 2d6
Class 4d6
Fortune 3d6
Health 6d6
Knowledge 2d6
Looks 2d6
Move 4d6
Perception 3d6
Strength 6d6
Talent 2d6

Goblin
Level -3 Combat Level -1
Agility 3d6
Class 2d6
Fortune 2d6
Health 3d6
Knowledge 3d6
Looks 2d6
Move 3d6
Perception 4d6
Strength 2d6
Talent 4d6

Horse
Level 0, Combat Level 6
Agility 3d6
Class 1d6
Fortune 2d6
Health 5d6
Knowledge 1d6
Looks 3d6
Move 5d6
Perception 4d6
Strength 5d6
Talent 1d6

Orc
Level -4, Combat Level 1

Agility 3d6
Class 2d6
Fortune 2d6
Health 4d6
Knowledge 2d6
Looks 2d6
Move 3d6
Perception 3d6
Strength 3d6
Talent 2d6

Troll
Level 5, Combat Level 5
Agility 3d6
Class 3d6
Fortune 3d6
Health 5d6
Knowledge 3d6
Looks 2d6
Move 4d6
Perception 3d6
Strength 5d6
Talent 3d6

Wolf
Level -1, Combat Level 2
Agility 3d6
Class 1d6
Fortune 3d6
Health 3d6
Knowledge 1d6
Looks 3d6
Move 5d6
Perception 5d6
Strength 3d6
Talent 2d6

Last edited:
At the moment, characters are a bit bland. Maybe every character should have a thing that's their thing. I don't want it to be a skill system, just something more than a wall of numbers. I could see ditching Fortune or Looks for a Willpower stat. I wonder if doing points modifiers for races would be better. I don't really want to delve into classes or skills. Anyone can learn magic if they've got the stats for it. I could see doing a whole book of monsters, like a manual or something but I don't want the core to be bloated. I've gone with fairly generic magic. Blowing it up into individual spells would be too bulky. The whole thing's a bit generic but the idea to make it easy to do your own thing.

So looks is now a semi-optional non characteristic because it really doesn't do much game wise while making elves more expensive and orcs cheaper. The new characteristic is Resolve. I'm going to do roughly the same thing with class, it'll make game stats balance better.

I also dropped Move from combat level. It doesn't really make that much difference beyond making it easier to run away. I need to write some commentary and examples, maybe list damage points for objects. I think you might be able to burn fortune to boost rolls. Non random luck?

Last edited:
Thanks

Here's some more stuff, I probably want to leave it pretty close to this because it'll just turn into Galaxies In Shadow or The Arcane Confabulation if I continue. I do have a bit of a setting I was putting together for The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game that I'll post. That wouldn't increase the complexity / openness of the system.

Fortune indicates how lucky the character is. Luck is used to avoid the unavoidable and achieve the unachievable. Fortune points can be spent to improve a die roll before or after it is made. A fortune roll can also be used to request an event or occurrence from The Master. The Master is free to set the difficulty as high as they like.

Humans can assign their rolls to whichever characteristic they like and races with the Level one designation don't get the first level characteristic increase.

Looks
Players often want to know how good looking their characters are. This can be determined by a dice roll but isn’t properly a Characteristic as it has no game function. Humans, Dwarves, and Weefolk roll 3d6 for looks, Elves and Faeries roll 4d6.

Roll 3d6 for the character’s starting Social class. If the rating is five or less they’re a peasant and if it’s 15 or more they’re nobly born. This is also how many silver pieces they begin play with. It can be multiplied by the character’s level for higher level games. It’s not really a characteristic and doesn’t do anything in play but can be used as a guide to how well connected the character is.

Things
These are just tags for flavor and have no real mechanical effect rather enabling activity in a specific field, in some cases the difficulty of a task might be reduced by one die if it’s related to the character’s thing. Things should never be combat or magic related or supply an advantage in those areas. They exist to make the character more interesting not to maximize their damage per round output.

Actor
Blacksmith
Bowyer
Brewer
Charming
Carpenter
Mason
Minstrel
Musician
Outlaw
Painter
Priest
Raconteur
Sailor
Shepherd
Shipwright
Tailor
Thief
Valet
Vinter
Wainwright
Weaver

Tests
This system is intended to be flexible and simple and definite, specific lists of difficulties and Characteristic relationships are to be avoided. However, a few adventuring activities might benefit from some discussion.

Sneaking and Spotting
When a character tries to sneak, they need good cover and to not be the center of attention at the time. Sneaking would be an Agility test. In broad daylight it would be difficult (5d6) and average (3d6) in the dead of night. Spotting a sneaking foe would be a Perception test; difficult (5d) in the dead of night and average (3d) in broad daylight. Sneaking would be one die easier and spotting, one die harder. if there’s lots of dense cover and terrain as in a city or jungle.

Climbing and Swimming
Climbing a staircase is routine (1d6), a particularly steep and uneven one easy (2d6) and a very long and rickety one average (3d6). A steep and sandy hill would be an average (3d6) climb and a sheer cliff, difficult (5d6).
Swimming in calm, shallow waters is easy (2d), average in running or slightly rough waters (3d), and one die harder in high seas or cold water.

So here's a partially formatted version of the rules with lots of little updates and a larger bestiary. I moved the non-human races into the bestiary, I always wind up doing that. It's come together pretty quickly. I think I could probably put in a couple examples and some artwork. Yet. If it were to be published, I'd add a solitaire adventure, a setting with a map, and a wilderness adventure with a map.

Attachments

• AFGFMT.pdf
    85.5 KB · Views: 8
So, i'm writing a solo adventure and I made a chart with all the locations and loops and then wrote out a list of numbers and ticked off each number as I assigned it and then sorted the paragraphs into numerical order and found I have 11 duplicated numbers and 22 unused numbers...

And that was the second attempt, the first try I stayed up til 4 in the morning and accidentally closed the file without saving :grin:

Oh, I'll get there. I've got a couple other things I want to do, a setting, a GMed adventure, and maybe re-write the spell list.

I don't know, I always do the scalable generic effects, but I'm thinking a fixed list with fixed effects would be more flavorful. I'm undecided so I'll probably take a stab at it, maybe half a dozen spells per level and ten levels of spells. Or is that just book padding? If it was a game with a specific setting it might be more apt. I don't want to have a long list of jokey spells, I've always thought that worked against T&T but honestly, D&D players will use any excuse to avoid another system.

I spent a couple hours sorting and mapping the solo adventure. It's coming but it makes my head hurt.

Here's a bit of world background stuff.

AFG World
In the beginning the gods were united in their purpose to create the world. The foundations of heavens and earth were laid in the firmament, the stars hung and oceans filled, but Joraash loved light and Baaraakaar loved darkness and they were ever in opposition. Taaldrassk the unifier ruled between them that the world would be in darkness half of the time and in light the other half but gave Baaraakaar the shadows and the darkness beneath the earth. For a time the creation continued, plants were planted and animals born and at last the children of the gods were given life to live and to create and to worship the gods. Then there was once again dissent for Baaraakaar’s children had dominion over metal and stone and the children of Joraash had dominion over wood and grain and meat. The children of Baaraakaar could not live without food but the children of Joraash could live without metal and jewels though they much desired them and required much for little food. Deep beneath the earth, where the other gods could not see, Baaraakaar did council with his servants and his children and in the darkness the first weapons were forged and the seeds of the first defiance raised. Emerging under cover of night, the hosts of Baaraakaar issued forth with fire and the sword to seize the granaries of the children of Joraash. Many were slain and the survivors were driven into the wilderness. So it was that the children of the gods learned to make war and thus have things stood from the first. In the lands of the Baaraaki the cities stand in the shadow of the mountains and the fields are worked by slaves taken of the children of Joraash. The lands of the children of Joraash lie across the great plains between the mountains and the sea. Temples to Taaldraassk are found in both lands but her children dwell among the mountains. The children of Aaadaazaah live in the fair wood lands and the children of Boraadaan live along the sea shores.

The world is a place where the armies of light and darkness make war. The grievances extend to times before the creation of the world and both sides can claim lay claim to treachery and atrocities. While there are two great empires, many smaller kingdoms exist both as children of other gods and due to division and within. It is almost universally believed that faithful worshipers of the gods become their servants and live eternally in paradise with their patrons. The elves and dragons reject this idea and claim the spirits of the dead are either reborn into the world or absorbed into their god as energy.

Taaldraassk god of justice and unity Dwarves and Trolls
Baaraakaar god of darkness Orks, Goblins, Ogres
Joraash god of light Humans
Aadaazaah god of nature Elves
Boraadaan god of the oceans Merfolk

The Dwarves and Trolls were once of one kind but as the Dwarves favored Baaraakaar and the trolls favored Boraadaan their kindred were sundered and diverged to become separate races. Dwarves and trolls have a competitive relationship but the dwarves are more interested in crafting and warfare and the trolls are more interested in magic and sailing.

The children of Baaraakaar have been divided into castes with cunning goblins managing the details, orcs laboring and fighting, and ogres doing heavy labour and fighting. The goblins achieved this balance by convincing the ogres that they were subservient and employing their might to oppress the orcs.

The Elves are probably the truest servants of Taaldraassk even though they are the children of Aadaazaah. It is said they were given immortality because Aadaazaah couldn’t be bothered to learn so many names all the time. The elves see their role in the world to be the protection of nature from the endless wars between the followers of Baaraakaar and Joraash.

Dragons were originally servitors of Baaraakaar but have become so selfish and greedy that they can’t really be said to serve any god. It is said that they became immortal as punishment for abandoning their master’s cause, thus being forced to live in the world forever.

So, wow, another 3 hours in (for around 10 hours) trying to make the loops in the solo adventure work, I think I've finally got it. It did leave me with about 17 spare numbers scattered around inside the thing. I'm getting close now.

A couple things on the overall system. I think you need to be able to "get tricky" in combat by making your attack roll 1d6 harder and your opponents defense roll 1d6 harder. I also need a dodge rule of some sort. Not that I want too many rules but "parrying" a charging behemoth or cannon ball just feels wrong. I'm thinking it should require some sacrifice, probably your next attack but maybe something else. It could be more difficult than parrying or easier for missiles and harder for melee. I still have to think about it.

I'm still leaning towards more flavorful magic spells. Also, at 1d6 per level I probably need to boost spell point allotments. So I might go back to 1 per level. The thing is at 3d6 magic points to cast a 3d6 zap it's not very competitive with melee weapons. With a cost and chance of failure from insufficient magic points it should be better not worse.

Here is the solo adventure in a somewhat unfinished state. The monsters are at the end, there are loose tags everywhere and there's still lots of stuff that's not quite right. I'm running through it over and over to find the problems. It's really a very small dungeon, I just got overly ambitious with the conditional loops.

It is dark in some parts of this adventure. If your character can’t see in the dark they’ll need a lantern or a torch which means they can’t have a shield, second weapon, or two-handed weapon equipped.

Marauding Orcs have been waylaying travellers and shepherdesses in the peaceful fields around your village of late. The local folk are afraid to go out after dark. It is said that long ago, the haunted ruins on the old hill, deep in the forest were the tower of an evil sorcerer and such creatures were said to guard the ruins. What folks need is a hero to head out and investigate place for them and they’re willing to pay a hundred pieces of silver to that noble soul, should they return. A number of disaffected youth have gone off after the prize but none have come back and some of them were your friends. So, equipped and provisioned as best as you can manage, you head off into the woods to find your friends and win your fortune.

1 The Forest
There is a faint path through the woods leading to the ruins. A rogue wolf attacks you Test your Perception on 3d if you fail it gets to attack first in melee otherwise you can shoot at it while it closes.

If you want to camp turn to 15.
If you want to go on turn to 19.
If you go back to town turn to 89.

2 The Kitchen empty
There is a large fireplace which dimly lights this long, narrow room. A crude wooden counter and several dismembered human bodies hanging from hooks on the wall, a burned leg is spitted over the smouldering coals.

There is a closed door in the south end of the room it is ajar.
A passage opens in the west wall at the far end of the room.

If you go back East Hall 6
If you go west East - West Hall 50
If you open the door to the south Larder 93

3 The East - West Hall sneak barracks
This darkened hall runs from east to west. The beams and roof are solid and there are few roots and no spider webs hanging down.

There is a side passage to the north in the middle of the hall. The eastern end is dimly lit with a flickering orange light but the other passages are dark. You can hear gutteral voices arguing down the north passage.

If you go east kitchen 62
If you go west barracks turn to 51.
If you go north North Passage turn to 73.

4 Alerted guard room killed guards but alerted.
Standing over your fallen foes you look around. A slight breeze blows from the hall to the north. The passage to the east smells of smoke and burning fat. There is a darkened passage to the west.
If you go north turn to 61.

If you go west turn to 34
If you go east turn to 17

5 Dead Barracks
This large, dark room holds two crude, wooden bunk beds. There is a deep, dark pit in the southeast corner of the room, it smells faintly of excrement and rotting meat.

There are dark passages in the east and south walls.

If you go east dead west hall turn to 13.
If you go south east - west hall turn to 22.
If you want to climb down the pit. 56

6 The East Hall empty
This hall has cracks in the ceiling and you can see some sunlight through the cracks. You can smell burning grease, pork, and smoke.

If you go west Guard Room 70
If you go East Kitchen 2

7 Barracks fight

Having defeated the orcs in the barracks.
if you go east dead west turn to 53. dead barraks loop
if you go south dead barracks loop turn to 22.
If you want to climb down the pit turn to 16.

8 The North Hall alerted
The hallway beyond is walled with stone and shored up with aging timber beams. Spider webs and roots dangle from the ceiling. Two orcs come running towards you from the south. The passage is narrow so they can only come at you one at a time, you can attack first. If you flee, they both get a free attack that you can’t parry, then, if your Speed is higher than both of theirs turn to 89. If you win you can go back out to the north or farther in to the south.

If you go north dead entrance turn to 72.
if you go south alerted guard room turn to 20.

9 Hid alerted from 68
Test the orc’s Perception on 5d6 if they fail they leave. Otherwise you will have to fight them. You return to the kitchen turn to 30.

10 The Dead East Hall dead kitchen
This hall has cracks in the ceiling and you can see some sunlight through the cracks. You can smell burning grease, pork, and smoke.

If you go west dead guard room 28
If you go East dead Kitchen 30

11 Rest Again
The door’s broken now but you hide as best you can. You regain 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points if you’ve used any. But soon there is talking in the kitchen and a large armoured orc and a old bald guy in a robe look into the room. The orc guards the old guy while he casts a spell,

If you shoot the orc the old guy casts a level 3 Blast into the larder. Reduce the sorcerer’s Magic Points by the 3d6. If you survive that you must charge the orc or get blasted again. If you fight the orc, the magician casts a level 1 Smite on him each round until the orc goes down. After that he’ll run away. If you have a higher Speed you can make a free attack on him as he turns.

If he gets away you go back to the kitchen turn to Empty Kitchen 2

12 The East Hall first no alert

If you go East Kitchen 62
If you go Guard room 82 dead

13 The Dead West Hall dead barracks
This hallway is dark. If you don’t have a light, roll your Perception or less on 3d6 or whack your head on a low hanging, broken beam for 1d6 damage.

If you go east dead guard room 82
If you go west dead barracks 5

14 The East - West Hall from west alarm
This darkened hall runs from east to west. The beams and roof are solid and there are few roots and no spider webs hanging down.

There is a side passage to the north in the middle of the hall. The eastern end is dimly lit with a flickering orange light but the other passages are dark.

If you go east dead kitchen 85
If you go north alarm north hall ?
If you go west alarm barracks 43

15 Camp from forest
It’s dark as you rest beneath the stars. Roll 1d6 and if you roll a 6, another wolf arrives and attacks you before you can rest. Once you rest you get back 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points.

If you want to go back to town turn to 89.

16 The Pit dead barracks
The sides of the pit are slippery and spotted with filth. If you have a rope, test your Agility on 3d6 otherwise test it on 5d6. If you fail, the bottom is soft and squishy so you only take 1d6 damage that ignores armour but any food you are carrying is spoiled.

There is a heap of filth and bones down here, that rises to your knees, you are attacked by giant maggots.

There is no treasure here. The orcs aren’t that stupid.

To climb back out you have to test your Agility again.

You crawl back out into the barracks dead turn to 5.

17 The East Hall alerted xxxxx
This hall has cracks in the ceiling and you can see some sunlight through the cracks. You can smell burning grease, pork, and smoke. An enormously fat orc in a blood-splattered apron lumbers towards you wielding a cleaver. If your speed his higher than his you can run away.

If you fight him turn to 31.
If you run away run away turn to 54.

18 The Dead North Hall dead barracks
The hallway beyond is walled with stone and shored up with aging timber beams. Spider webs and roots dangle from the ceiling. To the north you can see daylight through an overgrown opening, to the south there is darkness.

If you go north dead enterance 67
if you go south dead guard room 82

19 The Entrance
There is an overgrown opening in the hillside. There is an Orc sentry on guard. If you want to sneak up on him test your Agility on 3d6 and his Perception on 4d6. If successful you get to attack first. Or you could just shoot him with a ranged weapon.

If he survives your attack turn to Orc Flees 97.
If you want to go back to town and report what you’ve seen Town 89.
If you want to go in North Hall 61.

20 The Guard Room alerted
A dim lantern lights this small room. There are crude benches and a table here. An empty barrel of local ale lies in the corner. There is an open passage to the east and another to the west. You can smell smoke and burning fat in the dimly lit east hall but the west hall is dark.

If you go west turn to west hall alerted turn to 34.
if you go east turn to east hall alerted turn to 17.
If you want to go north turn to north hall alerted 69.

21 Kill Sleep
The first orc dies with a lot of horrible squawking and thrashing the other orc wakes up and attacks you. Turn to Barracks fight 7.

22 The East - West Hall dead barracks

There is a side passage to the north in the middle of the hall. The eastern end is dimly lit with a flickering orange light but the other passages are dark. You can hear gutteral voices arguing down the north passage.

If you go west barracks 5
If you go north North Passage 99

23 The West Hall
This hallway is dark. If you don’t have a light, test your Perception on 4d6, if that fails test your Agility on 3d6 to avoid making a racket as you fall on your face.

If the alarm hasn’t been raised and you make a racket turn to 42.

If you go east dead Guard Room turn to 82

24 The Entrance dead guard
There is an overgrown opening in the hillside.

If you want to go back to town and report what you’ve seen turn to Town 89.
If you want to camp out in the forest turn to 35.
If you want to go in North Hall turn to 61.

25 Searching
You find a bottle of whiskey hidden at the bottom of a bushel of Rutabegas. Then you hear shouting from the kitchen and an orc barges into the room. You can attack him as he looks around. If you try to hide amongst the barrels, test your Agility on 2d6 and his Perception on 5d6, if he sees you he attacks first.

If you hid successfully turn to Hid 71.
If you win you can return to the kitchen by turning to 30 or or close the door and rest by turning to 26.

26 Rest
You rest for a while and have a bite to eat. You regain 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points if you’ve used any. After about ten minutes, there’s a commotion in the kitchen. Someone tries to open the door. Then something heavy thuds against it. After about three hard thuds, the door bursts open. There are three orcs in the kitchen. They can only come in one at a time and you can attack first.

If you survive you can rest again by turning to 11 or go back to the kitchen by turning to 30.

27 The Larder both dead
This darkend room is stacked with barrels and bushel buckets full of food stolen from local travellers and farmers.

If you have a light, you might be able to scrounge up some rations here.

If you scrounge for rations Much of the fruit and vegetables are rotting but you can scrounge a week of rations from the unspoiled containers. As you dig through the bushels you disturb a pair of large rats. Test your Perception on 4d6 if you succeed you attack first, if not they do.

There might be something more here, do you spend some time searching?

If you spend some more time searching Searching turn to 25.
If you return to the kitchen turn to 79.

28 Dead Guard Room coming back from east dead kitchen loop
It’s dark in this small room. There are crude benches and a table here. An empty barrel of local ale lies in the corner. There is an open passage to the east and another to the west. You can smell smoke and burning fat in the dimly lit east hall but the west hall is dark.
If you go west West Hall 23
if you go east dead East Hall 27

29 The Pit alarm / dead barracks
The sides of the pit are slippery and spotted with filth. If you have a rope, test your Agility on 3d6 otherwise test it on 5d6. If you fail, the bottom is soft and squishy so you only take 1d6 damage that ignores armour but any food you are carrying is spoiled.

There is a heap of filth and bones down here, that rises to your knees, you are attacked by giant maggots.

You crawl back out into the barracks. Turn to 5.

30 The Kitchen dead / alerted
There is a large fireplace which dimly lights this long, narrow room. A crude wooden counter and several dismembered human bodies hanging from hooks on the wall, a burned leg is spitted over the smouldering coals. There is a closed door in the south end of the room it is locked. A passage opens in the west wall at the far end of the room.

If you go north west 10 east passage dead kitchen
If you go south west 85
If you have a key you can open the door to the south 42

The door is locked, you can try to pick the lock or you can search the chef. Test your Knowledge on 4d6. If successful you pick the lock turn to 42.

The orc chef dies in the east hall.
*List key among possessions

If you win you can continue east 30 or go back to the guard room dead kitchen loop room

32 Locked Door
The door is locked, you can try to pick the lock or try a key. If you try a key turn to key. Test your Knowledge on 4d6. If successful you pick the lock. Turn to larder 27

If not you can follow one of the west passages, there is one in the north and another in the south end of the room.

North end west passage East Hall 23 dead kitchen loop
South end west passage East -West Hall 85 kitchen dead loop

34 The West Hall alarm
This hallway is dark.

If you go east alarm 20 guard room
If you go west turn to 43. Before dead kitchen or barracks

35 camp in forest

back to 24.

The Kitchen dead barracks
There is a large fireplace which dimly lights this long, narrow room. A crude wooden counter and several dismembered human bodies hanging from hooks on the wall, a burned leg is spitted over the smouldering coals.

An enormously fat orc is hacking at a bleeding torso on the counter with an enormous cleaver. Test your Agility on 3d6 and his Perception on 4d6 to sneak away. Otherwise, he’s a bit distracted and you can attack first.

There is a closed door in the south end of the room it is locked.

If you go west hall turn to 86. Both both dead
If you go back west east-west hall turn to 95. both dead loop
If you open the door to the south turn to 32.

37 The Larder dead kitchen
This darkend room is stacked with barrels and bushel buckets full of food stolen from local travellers and farmers.

If you have a light, you might be able to scrounge up some rations here.

New Paragraph ?
If you scrounge for rations Much of the fruit and vegetables are rotting but you can scrounge a week of rations from the unspoiled containers. As you dig through the bushels you disturb a pair of large rats. Test your Perception on 4d6 if you succeed you attack first, if not they do.

If you spend some more time searching Searching turn to 68.
If you go back to the kitchen dead kitchen turn to 30.

38 Rest dead kitchen
You rest for a while and have a bite to eat. You regain 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points if you’ve used any. After about ten minutes, there’s a commotion in the kitchen. Someone tries to open the door. Then something heavy thuds against it. After about three hard thuds, the door bursts open. There are three orcs in the kitchen. They can only come in one at a time and you can attack first.

If you survive you can rest again by turning to 11 or go back to the kitchen by turning to 30.

39 Sneak Past
With great care you creep past the sleeping orcs. Test their Perception on 4d6 if they succeed they wake up. Turn to barracks fight 7

If you sneak by successfully:

if you go south east - west hall 3
If you want to climb down the pit turn to sneaky pit 47

40 dead gurard room

41 The Entrance alerted
if you want to go back and report what you’ve seen turn to 89.
If you go in alarmed north hall turn to 8.

42 You pick yourself off the floor and, putting a hand against the wall, carry on to 34.

43 The Barracks alarm
This large, dark room holds two crude, wooden bunk beds. There is a deep, dark pit in the southeast corner of the room, it smells faintly of excrement and rotting meat. There are two orcs lurking in the shadows. Test your Perception on 5d6, if you fail they attack first.

if you go east west hall turn to 13.
if you go south east-west hall turn to 22.

If you want to climb down the pit turn to 29.

44 The Dead North Hall dead kitchen
The hallway beyond is walled with stone and shored up with aging timber beams. Spider webs and roots dangle from the ceiling. To the north you can see daylight through an overgrown opening, to the south there is darkness.

If you go north dead enterance turn to 91.
if you go south dead guard room turn to 28.

45 Dead Entrance both dead
Emerging onto the hill side you take a deep breath of fresh air and bask in the sunlight. You can go back in

New paragraph
You can go camp in the forest and regain 1d6 Hit Points and Magic Points but if you do, roll 1d6, on a 5 or 6 you are attacked by a rogue wolf.

You can go camp in the forest xxx?
You can go back in 65
Go back to town 89

46 Dead Guard Room both sides cleared
It’s dark in this small room. There are crude benches and a table here. An empty barrel of local ale lies in the corner. There is an open passage to the east and another to the west. You can smell smoke and burning fat in the dimly lit east hall but the west hall is dark.
If you go west dead West Hall 58
if you go east dead East Hall 86

47 Sneaky Pit
The sides of the pit are slippery and spotted with filth. You don’t have a chance to tie a rope to anything so test your Agility on 5d6. If you fail, the bottom is soft and squishy so you only take 1d6 damage that ignores armour but any food you are carrying is spoiled.

You crawl back out into the barracks 51

48 The Entrance empty
There is an overgrown opening in the northern face of the hill.

If you want to go in: North Hall 80
If you go back to town 100

49 The Barracks kitchen dead
This large, dark room holds two crude, wooden bunk beds. There is a deep, dark pit in the southeast corner of the room, it smells faintly of excrement and rotting meat. There are two orcs lurking in the shadows. Test your Perception on 5d6, if you fail they attack first.

if you go east west hall 58
if you go south east-west hall 95

50 The East - West Hall empty

There is a side passage to the north in the middle of the hall. The eastern end is dimly lit with a flickering orange light but the other passages are dark.

If you go north north hall 84.
if you go east kitchen 2.
if you go west barracks 88.

51 The Barracks
This large, dark room holds two crude, wooden bunk beds. There is a deep, dark pit in the southeast corner of the room, it smells faintly of excrement and rotting meat. There are dark passages in the east and south walls. There are two orcs sleeping in the beds, they are snoring loudly.

If you want to go back east turn to 87 west hall
If you kill them in their sleep goto kill sleep turn to 21.
If you want to sneak past them turn to 39.

52 Key
The key fits and unlocks the door with a click.

Turn to Larder 27.

53 The Dead East Hall from dead barracks

If you go west dead Guard Room turn to 82.
If you go East turn to 36. Kitchen chef alive dead barracks loop.

54 Dead Guard Room chased by chef
He’s hot on your heels as you run into the guard room. If you run into any encounters from this point in, add him to the list of foes until you manage to kill him.

If you flee north turn to 44.
If you flee west turn to 49.

Go back to the kitchen dead kitchen by turning to 30.

55 Dead Entrance guard room & barrracks dead
Emerging onto the hill side you take a deep breath of fresh air and bask in the sunlight.
new paragraph xxx
You can go camp in the forest and regain 1d6 Hit Points and Magic Points but if you do, roll 1d6, on a 5 or 6 you are attacked by a rogue wolf.

You can go back in by turning to 18.
Go back to town by turning to 89.

56 The Pit dead both

You crawl back out into the barracks turn to 52.

57 entrance sentry dead
There is a darkened passage heading into the north side of the hill.
You can go back to town by turning to 89.
You can go south into the passage by turning to 69.
You can camp out in the woods by turning to xxxxx

58 west hall both dead
This hall is very dark, if you don’t have a light, roll your Perception or less on 3d6, if you fail you get bitten by a spider. Roll your Health or less on 3d6 or take 1d6 damage.

If you want to go west turn to 52.
If you want to go east turn to 46.

59 camp dead sentry
You sleep under the stars, recovering 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points.
If you go back to the ruins turn to 57.

61 The North Hall dead sentry
The hallway beyond is walled with stone and shored up with aging timber beams. Spider webs and roots dangle from the ceiling.

If you go South Guard Room turn to 92.
If you go North Entrance turn to 24.

62 The Kitchen

An enormously fat orc is hacking at a bleeding torso on the counter with an enormous cleaver. Test your Agility on 3d6 and his Perception on 4d6 to sneak away and turn to 66. Otherwise, he’s a bit distracted and you can attack first.

If you go back dead east hall turn to 10. kitch dead loop
If you go west east-west hall turn to 85. kitch dead loop

63 The North Passage alarmed dead kitchen
There is a curtain hanging across the opening at the north end of the hall. There is a T intersection at the south end of the hall. You can hear a scratchy voice arguing with a gutteral voice in an unknown language.

If you go north Inner Chamber 83
if you go south East - West Passage 85

65 The Dead North Hall dead both

If you go north dead enterance 45
if you go south dead guard room 49

66 Dead Guard East hall
If you go east turn to 62.
If you go west turn to 82.

67 Dead Entrance barracks dead
Emerging onto the hill side you take a deep breath of fresh air and bask in the sunlight. You can go camp in the forest and regain 1d6 Hit Points and Magic Points but if you do, roll 1d6, on a 5 or 6 you are attacked by a rogue wolf.

68 Searching both dead
You find a bottle of whiskey hidden at the bottom of a bushel of Rutabegas. Then you hear shouting from the kitchen and an orc barges into the room. You can attack him as he looks around. If you try to hide amongst the barrels, test your Agility on 2d6 and his Perception on 5d6, if he sees you he attacks first.

If you hid successfully turn to 9.
If you win you can return to the kitchen by turning to 30 or close the door and rest. 60

69 north hall sentry dead.

The hallway beyond is walled with stone and shored up with aging timber beams. Spider webs and roots dangle from the ceiling.

If you go north turn to sentry dead entrance 57.
If you go south turn to 20 guard room.

70 The Guard Room empty
If you go north 80
If you go west West Hall 81
if you go east East Hall 6

71 Hid dead kitchen
Test the orc’s Perception on 5d6 if they fail they leave. Otherwise they attack you first.

Go back to the dead kitchen 30.

73 The North Passage (this if sneak past barracks)
There is a curtain hanging across the opening at the north end of the hall. There is a T intersection at the south end of the hall.

If you go north inner chamber turn to 75.
if you go south east west hall turn to 3.

74 Search Room
The books are written in gothic script but the language is ancient and you can’t read them. The pictures are grotesque and disturbing. The box contains 20 silver pieces. There is half a bottle of decent wine under the divan.

Go back to the north passage. 84

75 The Inner Chamber

Drawing aside the curtain you see that this room is hung with heavy, moth-eaten drapes and curtains. There is a cushioned divan, and a small round table with a crystal ball in a brass stand shaped like a clawed hand against the north wall. A brazier full of glowing coals lights the room. A shelf on the east wall holds a small chest and a couple books bound in black leather.

A large, armoured orc and an aged bald man wearing a robe turn to face you as your draw aside the curtain.

You can attack first if you use a thrown or ranged weapon, otherwise, the orc attacks you immediately while the old man begins to cast a spell.

If you win you can search the room turn to 74 or just go south by turning to 84.

76 guard room no sneak
. If not, they see you coming and charge into melee, attacking first. Since you can stay back in the hall, only one of them can attack you at a time. The second one will be shouting and raise the alarm while you fight the first.

There is an open passage to the east and another to the west. You can smell smoke and burning fat in the dimly lit east hall but the west hall is dark.

If you go west West Hall turn to 39.
if you go east East Hall turn to 17.

77 North Passage both dead
If you go north turn to 83. Inner chamber
If you go south turn to 95. Ew hall

78 Oh well, a life of adventure was never for you. The rest of your life is spent working as a hired farm hand and laborer.

79 Dead Kitchen dead both loop

There is a closed door in the south end of the room, it is ajar.

If you go back East Hall 27
If you go west East - West Hall 83
If you open the door to the south Larder 27

80 The North Hall empty

If you go north 48
if you go south. 70

81 The West Hall empty
This hallway is dark. If you don’t have a light, test your Perception on 4d6, if that fails test your Agility on 3d6 to avoid making a racket as you fall on your face.

If you go east turn to guard room70.
If you go west turn to barracks 88.

82 Dead Guard Room coming back from west dead barracks loop
If you go west dead West Hall 13.
if you go east East Hall turn to 53.

83 The Inner Chamber alarmed
This room is hung with heavy, moth-eaten drapes and curtains. There is a cushioned divan, and a small round table with a crystal ball in a brass stand shaped like a clawed hand against the north wall. A brazier full of glowing coals lights the room. A shelf on the east wall holds a small chest and a couple books bound in black leather.

There is an aged and bald man in a robe arguing with a big orc here. The orc attacks immediately and the old man starts to cast a spell. If you shoot the orc the old guy casts a level 3 Zap at you. Reduce the sorcerer’s Magic Points by the 3d6. If you survive that you must charge the orc or get blasted again. If you fight the orc, the magician casts a level 1 Smite on him each round until the orc goes down. After that he’ll run away. If you have a higher Speed you can make a free attack on him as he turns.

If you win you can search the room by turning to 74 or just go south by turning to 84.

84 The North Passage empty
There is a curtain hanging across the opening at the north end of the hall. There is a T intersection at the south end of the hall.

If you go north 96
if you go south 50

85 The Dead East - West Hall kitchen dead

If you go north north hall turn to 63.
If you go east kitchen turn to 30.
If you go west barracks turn to 49.

86 east passage both dead
If you go east both dead kitchen 79.
If you go west both dead guard room 46.

87 The Dead West Hall dead kitchen

If you go east dead guard room turn to 28.
If you go west turn to 49.

88 The Barracks empty
This large, dark room holds two crude, wooden bunk beds. There are dark passages in the east and south walls. There is a deep, dark pit in the southeast corner of the room, it smells faintly of excrement and rotting meat.

If you go east turn to 81.
If you go south turn to 90.

If you want to climb down the pit 90.

89 Town
Nobody believes you and everyone seems uncomfortable when you ask them about the money. If you want to rest up and go back to the ruins on the hill restore your Hit Points and Magic Points to full and turn to 19. If you’ve had it and want to turn up turn to 78.

90 The Pit empty

You crawl back out into the barracks turn to 88.

91 Dead Entrance kitchen dead
Emerging onto the hill side you take a deep breath of fresh air and bask in the sunlight. You can go camp in the forest and regain 1d6 Hit Points and Magic Points but if you do, roll 1d6, on a 5 or 6 you are attacked by a rogue wolf.

You can go back in by turning to 44.

92 The Guard Room
A dim lantern lights this small room. There are crude benches and a table here. An empty barrel of local ale lies in the corner. There are two orcs seated at the table playing cards. Roll your Agility on 3d6 and their Perception on 4d6 to sneak up on them.

If you sneak up on them turn to 94.
If you don’t turn to 76 alerted loop*

93 The Larder empty
This darkend room is stacked with barrels and bushel buckets full of food stolen from local travellers and farmers. There’s nothing unspoiled left.

You go back to the Kitchen turn to 2.

94 guard room sneak up

You do you can attack them with a ranged or thrown weapon. If not, they see you coming and charge into melee, attacking first. Since you can stay back in the hall, only one of them can attack you at a time. The second one will be shouting and raise the alarm while you fight the first.

There is an open passage to the east and another to the west. You can smell smoke and burning fat in the dimly lit east hall but the west hall is dark.
If you beat them but the alarm is raised turn to 4.
If you go west West Hall turn to 23.
if you go east East Hall turn to 12.

95 East - West Passage both dead

if you go east turn to 79
if you go west turn to 52
If you go north turn to 95.

96 The Inner Chamber empty
Drawing aside the curtain reveals a room hung with heavy, moth-eaten drapes and curtains. There is a cushioned divan, and a small round table. A brazier full of glowing coals lights the room. There is an empty shelf on the east wall.

You go back to the south turn to 84.

97 Orc Fled

The Orc sentry flees before you! You can attack him once before he’s off screaming and raises the alarm. If you’re shooting at him, you’ve got one more shot. If you’re in melee you get a free attack if your Speed is higher than his.

If you want to return to town and report what you’ve seen turn to Town 89.
If he gets away turn to ALARMED 8.
If you get him turn to North Hall turn to 61.

99 The North Passage dead barracks
There is a curtain hanging across the opening at the north end of the hall. There is a T intersection at the south end of the hall. You can hear a scratchy voice arguing with a gutteral voice in an unknown language.

If you go north Inner Chamber 83
if you go south East - West Passage 22

100 If you go back
You return with proof of your exploits and the happy villagers gladly reward you. But somehow, it’s not the same, you’ve changed. They’re all a little afraid of you. There’s a whole world out there. You could sell those books and that crystal ball in the city, you could travel to distant lands. You could get out of this tired little town and see the world. So sooner or later (and probably sooner) you pack your things and head out on the road in search of adventure.

Orcs

Boss
Agility 12
Health 18
Move 10
Perception 8
Strength 15
Attacks 5d Falcheon
Armour 18 Rusty Metal

Sorcerer Level 3
Agility 10
Fortune 10
Health 13
Knowledge 19
Move 9
Perception 12
Resolve 11
Strength 8
Talent 19
Attacks 1d Dagger
Spells Blast Level 3
Zap Level 2
Enhance Level 1

Chef
Agility 11
Health 17
Move 10
Perception 12
Strength 15
5d Cleaver

Sentry
Agility 16
Health 10
Move 13
Perception 13
Strength 12
2d Bow
2d Scimitar

Guard Room
Agility 7 14
Health 14 12
Move 6 11
Perception 10 6
Strength 12 12
Falchion 4d 4d
Armour 6 6 Stinky Leather

Barracks
Agility 12 12
Health 8 15
Move 10 9
Perception 8 5
Strength 13 10
Scimitar 2d 1d+2

Larder
Agility 12 6
Health 16 12
Move 5 12
Perception 10 11
Strength 10 13
Scimitar 1d+2 2d
Stinky Leather 5 5

Maggots
Natural Weapons
Agility 8 10
Health 11 6
Move 1 3
Perception 4 4
Strength 3 10

Grover
Agility 6
Health 6
Move 10
Perception 8

The obvious solution to spell damage is to base the damage on a stat and add 1d6 per level. So I've gone with Resolve but different spells could easily use different attributes. Blast does damage as a one handed weapon and zap as a two-handed weapon.

I've added a rule where you can 'get fancy' with opposed tasks, by adding one die to the success and opposition roll. This lets higher scores work better against weaker foes and equal ones.

Dodging is a 4d6 roll, attacks that do more damage than your strength must be dodged instead of parried. I'm still not quite sure what the tactical disadvantage should be. I don't want it to be losing an attack as you should be able to whack the rhinocerous as it runs by. Possibly +1d6 to the difficulty of your next attack. I don't want laundry lists of modifiers and extra stuff to remember so maybe not.

I'm thinking the system would work pretty well for a pulp game with solos.

So, here's a cleaned up text with the monsters in. I suspect the larder loop's still messed up :grin: But it should still be playable. For the next one I'll probably used cued, drop down loops from the locations so there's only one set of location map nodes. Oh well, some things look simple as ain't.

Marauding Orcs have been waylaying travellers and shepherdesses in the peaceful fields around your village of late. The local folk are afraid to go out after dark. It is said that long ago, the haunted ruins on the old hill, deep in the forest were the tower of an evil sorcerer and such creatures were said to guard the ruins. What folks need is a hero to head out and investigate place for them and they’re willing to pay a hundred pieces of silver to that noble soul, should they return. A number of disaffected youth have gone off after the prize but none have come back and some of them were your friends. So, equipped and provisioned as best as you can manage, you head off into the woods to find your friends and win your fortune.

It is dark in some parts of this adventure. If your character can’t see in the dark they’ll need a lantern or a torch which means they can’t have a shield, second weapon, or two-handed weapon equipped.

1 The Forest
There is a faint path through the woods leading to the ruins. A rogue wolf attacks you Test your Perception on 3d if you fail it gets to attack first in melee otherwise you can shoot at it while it closes.

If you want to camp turn to 15.

2 The Kitchen

There is a closed door in the south end of the room it is ajar.

If you go back East Hall 6
If you go west East - West Hall 50
If you open the door to the south Larder 93

3 The East - West Hall

If you go north North Passage turn to 73.

4 Guard Room
Standing over your fallen foes you look around. A slight breeze blows from the hall to the north. The passage to the east smells of smoke and burning fat. There is a darkened passage to the west.
If you go north turn to 61.

If you go west turn to 34
If you go east turn to 17

5 Barracks
This large, dark room holds two crude, wooden bunk beds. There is a deep, dark pit in the southeast corner of the room, it smells faintly of excrement and rotting meat.

If you go east turn to 13.
If you go south turn to 22.

6 The East Hall

If you go west turn to 70.
If you go East turn to 2.

7 Barracks Fight
The orcs are groggy but fight back savagely.

Agility 12 12
Health 8 15
Move 10 9
Perception 8 5
Strength 13 10
Scimitar 2d 1d+2

Having defeated the orcs in the barracks.
if you go east turn to 53.
if you go south turn to 22.
If you want to climb down the pit turn to 16.

8 The North Hall
The hallway beyond is walled with stone and shored up with aging timber beams. Spider webs and roots dangle from the ceiling. Two orcs come running towards you from the south. The passage is narrow so they can only come at you one at a time, you can attack first. If you flee, they both get a free attack that you can’t parry, then, if your Speed is higher than both of theirs turn to 89. If you win you can go back out to the north or farther in to the south.

Guard Room
Agility 7 14
Health 14 12
Move 6 11
Perception 10 6
Strength 12 12
Falchion 4d 4d

If you go north turn to 72.
if you go turn to 20.

9 Hid
Test the orc’s Perception on 5d6 if they fail they leave. Otherwise you will have to fight them. You return to the kitchen turn to 30.

10 The East Hall

If you go west turn to 28
If you go East turn to 30

11 Rest Again
The door’s broken now but you hide as best you can. You regain 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points if you’ve used any. But soon there is talking in the kitchen and a large armoured orc and a old bald guy in a robe look into the room. The orc guards the old guy while he casts a spell,
If you shoot the orc the old guy casts a level 3 Blast into the larder. Reduce the sorcerer’s Magic Points by the 3d6. If you survive that you must charge the orc or get blasted again. If you fight the orc, the magician casts a level 1 Smite on him each round until the orc goes down. After that he’ll run away. If you have a higher Speed you can make a free attack on him as he turns.

If he gets away you go back to the kitchen turn to 2.

12 The East Hall

If you go turn to 62.
If you go turn to 82.

13 The West Hall
This hallway is dark. If you don’t have a light, roll your Perception or less on 3d6 or whack your head on a low hanging, broken beam for 1d6 damage.

If you go east turn to 82.
If you go west turn to 5.

14 The East - West Hall

If you go east turn to 85.
If you go north turn to 8.
If you go west alarm barracks 43.

15 Camp
It’s dark as you rest beneath the stars. Roll 1d6 and if you roll a 6, another wolf arrives and attacks you before you can rest. Once you rest you get back 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points.

If you want to go back to town turn to 89.

16 The Pit

You crawl back out into the barracks turn to 5.

17 The East Hall
This hall has cracks in the ceiling and you can see some sunlight through the cracks. You can smell burning grease, pork, and smoke. An enormously fat orc in a blood-splattered apron lumbers towards you wielding a cleaver. If your speed his higher than his you can run away.

If you fight him turn to 31.
If you run away run away turn to 54.

Chef
Agility 11
Health 17
Move 10
Perception 12
Strength 15
5d Cleaver

18 The North Hall

If you go north turn to 67.
if you go south turn to 82.

19 The Entrance
There is an overgrown opening in the hillside. There is an Orc sentry on guard. If you want to sneak up on him test your Agility on 3d6 and his Perception on 4d6. If successful you get to attack first. Or you could just shoot him with a ranged weapon.

If he survives your attack turn to 97.
If you want to go back to town and report what you’ve seen turn to 89.
If you want to go in turn to 61.

20 The Guard Room
A dim lantern lights this small room. There are crude benches and a table here. An empty barrel of local ale lies in the corner. There is an open passage to the east and another to the west. You can smell smoke and burning fat in the dimly lit east hall but the west hall is dark.

If you go west turn to west hall turn to 34.
if you go east turn to east hall turn to 17.
If you want to go north turn to 69.

21 Kill Sleep
The first orc dies with a lot of horrible squawking and thrashing the other orc wakes up and attacks you. Turn to Barracks fight 7.

22 The East - West Hall
This darkened hall runs from east to west curving north at each end. The beams and roof are solid and there are few roots and no spider webs hanging down.

If you go east turn to 36.
If you go west turn to 5.
If you go north turn to 99.

23 The West Hall

If the alarm hasn’t been raised and you make a racket turn to 42.

If you go east turn to 82
If you go west turn to 51.

24 The Entrance

If you want to go back to town and report what you’ve seen turn to 89.
If you want to camp out in the forest turn to 35.
If you want to go in turn to 61.

25 Searching

If you hid successfully turn to 71.
If you win you can return to the kitchen by turning to 30 or close the door and rest by turning to 26.

26 Rest

27 The Larder
This darkened room is stacked with barrels and bushel buckets full of food stolen from local travellers and farmers. If you have a light, you might be able to scrounge up some rations here.

Rats
Natural Weapons
Agility 14 15
Health 7 9
Move 17 10
Perception 13 13
Strength 3 1
Bite 1d6 1

If you spend some more time searching turn to 25.
If you return to the kitchen turn to 30.

28 Guard Room
If you go west turn to 87.
if you go east dead 10.

29 The Pit alarm

There is a heap of filth and bones down here, that rises to your knees, you are attacked by giant maggots. There is no treasure here. The orcs aren’t that stupid. To climb back out you have to test your Agility again.

You crawl back out into the barracks. Turn to 5.

30 The Kitchen
There is a large fireplace which dimly lights this long, narrow room. A crude wooden counter and several dismembered human bodies hanging from hooks on the wall, a burned leg is spitted over the smouldering coals. There is a closed door in the south end of the room it is locked. A passage opens in the west wall at the far end of the room.

If you go north west turn to 10.
If you go south west turn to 85.
If you try the door to the south turn to 32.

The brute expires noisily. You notice a key on a thong around his neck.

If you win you can continue east 30 or go back to the guard room by turning to 28.

32 Locked Door
The door is locked, you can try to pick the lock or try a key. If you try a key turn to key. Test your Knowledge on 4d6. If successful you pick the lock. Turn to larder 27

If not you can follow one of the west passages, there is one in the north and another in the south end of the room.

North end west passage turn to 10.
South end west passage turn to 85.

34 The West Hall
This hallway is dark. Cobwebs brush against your face and tangle in your hair.

If you go east turn to 20.
If you go west turn to 43.

35 Camp In Forest
Breathing deeply of the dead air you lie down beneath a stately pine and go to sleep. You regain 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points. Waking well rested you back to the ruins turn to 24.

The Kitchen

An enormously fat orc is hacking at a bleeding torso on the counter with an enormous cleaver. Test your Agility on 3d6 and his Perception on 4d6 to sneak away. Otherwise, he’s a bit distracted and you can attack first.

If you go west at the south end of the room turn to 86.
If you go back west turn to 95.
If you open the door to the south turn to 32. Xxxnot 32

37 The Larder

If you have a light, you might be able to scrounge up some rations here. Turn to 98. Or return to the kitchen by turning to 78

38 Rest

39 Sneak Past
With great care you creep past the sleeping orcs. Test their Perception on 4d6 if they succeed they wake up. Turn to barracks fight 7

If you sneak by successfully:
if you go east 23
if you go south east - west hall 3
If you want to climb down the pit turn to sneaky pit 47

40 dead guard room?????

41 The Entrance alerted
if you want to go back and report what you’ve seen turn to 89.
If you go in alarmed north hall turn to 8.

42 You pick yourself off the floor and, putting a hand against the wall, carry on to 43.

43 The Barracks

Barracks
Agility 12 12
Health 8 15
Move 10 9
Perception 8 5
Strength 13 10
Scimitar 2d 1d+2

if you go east turn to 13.
If you want to climb down the pit turn to 29.

44 North Hall

If you go north turn to 91.
if you go south turn to 28.

45 Entrance
Emerging onto the hill side you take a deep breath of fresh air and bask in the sunlight. You can go back in

You can go camp in the forest by turning to 64.
You can go back in by turning to 65.

46 Guard Room
If you go west turn to 58.
if you go east turn to 86.

47 Sneaky Pit
The sides of the pit are slippery and spotted with filth. You don’t have a chance to tie a rope to anything so test your Agility on 5d6. If you fail, the bottom is soft and squishy so you only take 1d6 damage that ignores armour but any food you are carrying is spoiled.

There is a heap of filth and bones down here, that rises to your knees, you are attacked by giant maggots. There is no treasure here. The orcs aren’t that stupid. To climb back out you have to test your Agility again.

Maggots
Natural Weapons
Agility 8 10
Health 11 6
Move 1 3
Perception 4 4
Strength 3 10
Bite 1d6 1d6

You crawl back out into the barracks turn to 51.

48 The Entrance empty
There is an overgrown opening in the northern face of the hill.

If you want to go in turn to 80.
If you go back to town turn to 100.

49 The Barracks

Barracks
Agility 12 12
Health 8 15
Move 10 9
Perception 8 5
Strength 13 10
Scimitar 2d 1d+2

If you go east west hall turn to 58.
If you go south hall turn to 95.
If you want to climb down the pit turn to 56.

50 The East - West Hall
This darkened hall runs from east to west. The beams and roof are solid and there are few roots and no spider webs hanging down. There is a side passage to the north in the middle of the hall. The eastern end is dimly lit with a flickering orange light but the other passages are dark.

If you go north turn to 84.
If you go east turn to 2.
If you go west turn to 88.

51 The Barracks
This large, dark room holds two crude, wooden bunk beds. There is a deep, dark pit in the southeast corner of the room, it smells faintly of excrement and rotting meat. There are dark passages in the east and south walls. There are two orcs sleeping in the beds, they are snoring loudly.

If you want to go back east turn to 87.
If you kill them in their sleep turn to 21.
If you want to sneak past them turn to 39.

52 Key
The key fits and unlocks the door with a click.

Turn to 27.

53 The East Hall

If you go turn to 82.
If you go East turn to 36.

54 Guard Room
He’s hot on your heels as you run into the guard room. If you run into any encounters from this point in, add him to the list of foes in any future room until you manage to kill him. If you fight him now and win you can carry on to the east by turning to 30.

If you flee north turn to 44.
If you flee west turn to 49.

55 Entrance
Emerging onto the hill side you take a deep breath of fresh air and bask in the sunlight.
new paragraph You can go camp in the forest and regain 1d6 Hit Points and Magic Points but if you do, roll 1d6, on a 5 or 6 you are attacked by a rogue wolf.

56 The Pit
The sides of the pit are slippery and spotted with filth. If you have a rope, test your Agility on 3d6 otherwise test it on 5d6. If you fail, the bottom is soft and squishy so you only take 1d6 damage that ignores armour but any food you are carrying is spoiled. There is a heap of filth and bones down here, that rises to your knees, you are attacked by giant maggots. There is no treasure here. The orcs aren’t that stupid.

Maggots
Natural Weapons
Agility 8 10
Health 11 6
Move 1 3
Perception 4 4
Strength 3 10
Bite 1d6 1d6

You crawl back out into the barracks turn to 52.

57 The Entrance
There is a darkened passage heading into the north side of the hill.
You can go south into the passage by turning to 69.
You can camp out in the woods by turning to 59.

58 West Hall
This hall is very dark, if you don’t have a light, roll your Perception or less on 3d6, if you fail you get bitten by a spider. Roll your Health or less on 3d6 or take 1d6 damage.

If you want to go west turn to 52.
If you want to go east turn to 46.

59 Camp In The Woods
You sleep under the stars, recovering 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points.
If you go back to the ruins turn to 57.

60 Rest
You take a nap under a shelf and regain 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points. Turn to 79.

61 The North Hall

If you go south turn to 92.
If you go north turn to 24.

62 The Kitchen

An enormously fat orc is hacking at a bleeding torso on the counter with an enormous cleaver. Test your Agility on 3d6 and his Perception on 4d6 to sneak away and turn to 66. Otherwise, he’s a bit distracted and you can attack first.

Chef
Agility 11
Health 17
Move 10
Perception 12
Strength 15
5d Cleaver

If you go back east turn to 10.
If you go west turn to 85.

63 The North Passage

If you go north turn to 83.
if you go south turn to 85.

64 Camp In The Forest

You can return to town by turning to 89 or go back to the ruins by turning to 45.

65 The North Hall

If you go north turn to 45.
if you go south turn to 49.

66 Dead Guard East hall
If you go east turn to 62.
If you go west turn to 82.

67 Entrance

68 Searching

If you hid successfully turn to 9.
If you win you can return to the kitchen by turning to 79 or close the door and rest. 60

69 North Hall

If you go north turn to 57.
If you go south turn to 20.

70 The Guard Room
If you go north turn to 80.
If you go west turn to 81.
If you go east East Hall 6

71 Hid
Test the orc’s Perception on 5d6 if they fail they leave. Otherwise they attack you first.

Go back to the kitchen 30.

72 The Barracks
South East 95
East 86
Pit 56

73 The North Passage

If you go north inner chamber turn to 75.
if you go south east west hall turn to 3.

74 Search Room
The books are written in gothic script but the language is ancient and you can’t read them. The pictures are grotesque and disturbing. The box contains 20 silver pieces. There is half a bottle of decent wine under the divan.

Go back to 84.

75 The Inner Chamber

Drawing aside the curtain you see that this room is hung with heavy, moth-eaten drapes and curtains. There is a cushioned divan, and a small round table with a crystal ball in a brass stand shaped like a clawed hand against the north wall. A brazier full of glowing coals lights the room. A shelf on the east wall holds a small chest and a couple books bound in black leather.

A large, armoured orc and an aged bald man wearing a robe turn to face you as your draw aside the curtain. You can attack first if you use a thrown or ranged weapon, otherwise, the orc attacks you immediately while the old man begins to cast a spell.

If you win you can search the room turn to 74 or just go south by turning to 84.

Boss
Agility 12
Health 18
Move 10
Perception 8
Strength 15
Attacks 5d Falcheon
Armour 18 Rusty Metal

Sorcerer Level 3
Agility 10
Fortune 10
Health 13
Knowledge 19
Move 9
Perception 12
Resolve 11
Strength 8
Talent 19
Attacks 1d Dagger
Spells Blast Level 3
Zap Level 2
Enhance Level 1

76 Guard Room
If not, they see you coming and charge into melee, attacking first. Since you can stay back in the hall, only one of them can attack you at a time. The second one will be shouting and raise the alarm while you fight the first.

If you go west turn to 39.
if you go east turn to 17.

77 North Passage
If you go south turn to 95.

78 Oh well, a life of adventure was never for you. The rest of your life is spent working as a hired farm hand and laborer.

79 Dead Kitchen

There is a closed door in the south end of the room, it is ajar.

If you go west turn to 27.
If you go out the south west opening west turn to 83.
If you open the door to the south turn to 37.

80 The North Hall

If you go north turn to 48.
if you go south turn to 70.

81 The West Hall empty

If you go east turn to 70.
If you go west turn to 88.

82 Guard Room
If you go west 13.
if you go east turn to 53.

83 The Inner Chamber
This room is hung with heavy, moth-eaten drapes and curtains. There is a cushioned divan, and a small round table with a crystal ball in a brass stand shaped like a clawed hand against the north wall. A brazier full of glowing coals lights the room. A shelf on the east wall holds a small chest and a couple books bound in black leather.

There is an aged and bald man in a robe arguing with a big orc here. The orc attacks immediately and the old man starts to cast a spell. If you shoot the orc the old guy casts a level 3 Zap at you. Reduce the sorcerer’s Magic Points by the 3d6. If you survive that you must charge the orc or get blasted again. If you fight the orc, the magician casts a level 1 Smite on him each round until the orc goes down. After that he’ll run away. If you have a higher Speed you can make a free attack on him as he turns.

Boss
Agility 12
Health 18
Move 10
Perception 8
Strength 15
Attacks 5d Falcheon
Armour 18 Rusty Metal

Sorcerer Level 3
Agility 10
Fortune 10
Health 13
Knowledge 19
Move 9
Perception 12
Resolve 11
Strength 8
Talent 19
Attacks 1d Dagger
Spells Blast Level 3
Zap Level 2
Enhance Level 1

If you win you can search the room by turning to 74 or just go south by turning to 84.

84 The North Passage

If you go north turn to 96.
if you go south 50.

85 Dead East - West Hall
This darkened hall runs from east to west. The beams and roof are solid and there are few roots and no spider webs hanging down. There is a side passage to the north in the middle of the hall. The eastern end is dimly lit with a flickering orange light but the other passages are dark.

If you go north north hall turn to 63.
If you go east kitchen turn to 30.
If you go west barracks turn to 49.

86 East Passage

If you go east turn to 79.
If you go west turn to 46.

87 The West Hall

If you go east turn to 28.
If you go west turn to 49.

88 The Barracks
This large, dark room holds two crude, wooden bunk beds. There are dark passages in the east and south walls. There is a deep, dark pit in the southeast corner of the room, it smells faintly of excrement and rotting meat.

If you go east turn to 81.
If you go south turn to 50.
If you want to climb down the pit turn to 90.

89 Town
Nobody believes you and everyone seems uncomfortable when you ask them about the money. If you want to rest up and go back to the ruins on the hill restore your Hit Points and Magic Points to full and turn to 19. If you’ve had it and want to turn up turn to 78.

90 The Pit
The sides of the pit are slippery and spotted with filth. If you have a rope, test your Agility on 3d6 otherwise test it on 5d6. If you fail, the bottom is soft and squishy so you only take 1d6 damage that ignores armour but any food you are carrying is spoiled. There is a heap of filth and bones down here, that rises to your knees, you are attacked by giant maggots. There is no treasure here. The orcs aren’t that stupid.

Maggots
Natural Weapons
Agility 8 10
Health 11 6
Move 1 3
Perception 4 4
Strength 3 10
Bite 1d6 1d6

You crawl back out into the barracks turn to 88.

91 Entrance

You can go back in by turning to 44.

92 The Guard Room
A dim lantern lights this small room. There are crude benches and a table here. An empty barrel of local ale lies in the corner. There are two orcs seated at the table playing cards. Roll your Agility on 3d6 and their Perception on 4d6 to sneak up on them.

Guard Room
Agility 7 14
Health 14 12
Move 6 11
Perception 10 6
Strength 12 12
Falchion 4d 4d

If you sneak up on them turn to 94.
If you don’t turn to 76 .

93 The Larder
This darkened room is stacked with barrels and bushel buckets full of food stolen from local travellers and farmers. There’s nothing unspoiled left.

You go back to the Kitchen turn to 2.

94 Guard Room

You do you can attack them with a ranged or thrown weapon. If not, they see you coming and charge into melee, attacking first. Since you can stay back in the hall, only one of them can attack you at a time. The second one will be shouting and raise the alarm while you fight the first. There is an open passage to the east and another to the west. You can smell smoke and burning fat in the dimly lit east hall but the west hall is dark.

If you beat them but the alarm is raised turn to 4.
If you go west West Hall turn to 23.
if you go east East Hall turn to 12.
If you go north turn to 69.

95 East - West Passage
This darkened hall runs from east to west curving north at each end. The beams and roof are solid and there are few roots and no spider webs hanging down. There is a side passage to the north in the middle of the hall. The eastern end is dimly lit with a flickering orange light but the other passages are dark. You can hear gutteral voices arguing down the north passage.

If you go east turn to 79.
If you go west turn to 72.
If you go north turn to 77.

96 The Inner Chamber
Drawing aside the curtain reveals a room hung with heavy, moth-eaten drapes and curtains. There is a cushioned divan, and a small round table. A brazier full of glowing coals lights the room. There is an empty shelf on the east wall.

You go back to the south turn to 84.

97 Orc Fled

The Orc sentry flees before you! You can attack him once before he’s off screaming and raises the alarm. If you’re shooting at him, you’ve got one more shot. If you’re in melee you get a free attack if your Speed is higher than his.

If you want to return to town and report what you’ve seen turn to Town 89.
If he gets away turn to 8.
If you get him turn to 61.

98 Larder

Rats
Natural Weapons
Agility 14 15
Health 7 9
Move 17 10
Perception 13 13
Strength 3 1
Bite 1d6 1

If you spend some more time searching turn to 68.
If you go back to the turn to 79.

99 The North Passage

100 You Go Back To Town
You return with proof of your exploits and the happy villagers gladly reward you. But somehow, it’s not the same, you’ve changed. They’re all a little afraid of you. There’s a whole world out there. You could sell those books and that crystal ball in the city, you could travel to distant lands. You could get out of this tired little town and see the world. So sooner or later (and probably sooner) you pack your things and head out on the road in search of adventure.

Just for fun I fiddled a bit with a pulp reskin. Really not much to do, modern things. Pistols are one handed weapons and rifles are two handed weapons. Semiautomatic weapons fire four times per round, lever, bolt action, pump, and single action revolvers fire three times per round, and flintlocks fire once per round.

I could see adding a second ranged combat range band but it would complicate things more than just giving high rates of fire.

The magic rules become powers which add to the level of their possessor and invention rules where the level of the effect adds to the difficulty of the inventing roll.

Vehicles just have strength speed and damage points really. I'll need to figure out a good strength to mass conversion and speed to velocity but no need to complicate things further.

Here's a list of things and a highly questionable rule that might be fun if taken in stride. I'd probably leave it out of a final version.

Accountant
Acrobat
Archeologist
Artist
Bootlegger
Boxer
Cop
Dancer
Doctor
G-man
Lawyer
Manager
Mechanic
Mobster
Native
Officer
Pilot
Scientist
Sailor
Soldier
Soldier
Wrestler

Nationality
Everyone comes from somewhere. In a pulp setting everyone speaks English with a local accent and their native tongue. Nationality can also supply a stereotypical perk like Canadians being cold resistant, Africans being heat resistant, Americans being inventive and greedy, the British Stoic, the French refined and so forth. Bearing in mind that this is intended to simulate fiction from a period where racism and bigotry were rampant.

Vehicles
Technology and its creations are a major part of the twentieth century. Vehicles make travel faster and carry larger loads but have logistical requirements like fuel and roads.

Vehicles have a Size rating which corresponds to Strength, a Speed rating which corresponds to velocity, and an Durability rating which corresponds to Hit Points

Size and Strength and Speed relate to real world figures. We’re going to relate these things directly to mass at an order of magnitude to the die. Then 1d is 1 kg, 2d is 10, 3d is 100, 4d is 1000, and 5d is 10000. With size this is in kilograms and with speed it is in meters per turn or 1/20 that in kilometers per hour. Armoured vehicles have armour equal to their Strength. (I"m leaning towards putting vehicle stats as fixed values rather than dice but still at the x 10 / 6 rate, the only problem is this makes an 18 Strength 10 x the mass of a 12.

Aircraft must be fast vehicles but airspeeds are pretty on par with road speeds in the period.
Boats can’t travel on land and wheeled vehicles can’t travel at sea. Trains are very large and heavy vehicles that can only travel on special tracks. Tracked vehicles are slow but can navigate obstacles that a wheeled vehicle couldn’t.

Nationality
National character can also be applied to technological items.
Made In America - the vehicle is rugged and reliable
Made In England - the vehicle is rugged and quirky
Made In Europe - the vehicle is fast and efficient
Made In Asia - the vehicle is inexpensive and reliable
Made in Russia - the vehicle is rugged and inexpensive

Rugged vehicles are over built and heavy -1 per die in Speed and +1 per die in Size
Reliable vehicles are less likely to break down and ignore the 666 devil’s in the detail rule
Fast vehicles get +1 per die on Speed and -1 per die on Size
Slow vehicles get -1 per die on Speed and +1 per die on size
Efficient vehicles get +1 range per die
Inexpensive vehicles cost 20% less

Vehicles In Combat
A vehicle’s driver can try to out maneuver another vehicle by rolling their Perception on 3d6. The other vehicle can try to contest that by rolling their driver’s Perception on 3d6 or to turn the tables by outmaneuvering their foe on 4d6. The vehicle with the lower Speed increases their difficulty by 1d6. It is only possible to outmaneuver or turn the tables on one foe per turn but any number of attempts can be contested.
An outmaneuvered vehicle cannot attack their enemy with forward fixed weapons and has the difficulty of other attacks increased by 1d6.
Vehicles can move from long range to melee range in one round.

A vehicle chase is handled by allowing the faster vehicle to increase or close the range by one each round. An out maneuvering attempt can be made to throw off pursuit and increase or decrease the range by one stage. If the range exceeded the fleeing vehicle has escaped.

Last edited:
So, there you go, sharpie scribbles for the solo adventure.

I'm thinking about implementing classes. You'd have a class and a thing.

Archers reduce the difficulty of their missile attacks and spotting checks by 1d6.
Fighters reduce their melee attacks and defenses difficulties by 1d6
Thieves reduce the difficulty of climbing, sneaking, and lock picking by 1d6.
Rangers reduce the difficulty of climbing, detecting ambushes, and foraging by 1d6.
Wizards reduce their spell casting difficulties by 1d6.

The issue with this is that it would reduce many tasks to 2d6. I think I'd need to re-write the core and simplify it a bit. Tasks are normally 4d6, but having a thing or class reduces them to 3d6. Easier tasks are 1d6 easier and harder tasks are 1d6 harder. That'd clean up the combat rules quite a bit as you wouldn't need the restatement of all the difficulty levels for each thing. I was thinking wizards might only get their bonus if they have a staff or talisman.

Last edited:
Here's the text on the changes. I think they make combat clearer and are generally less confusing than the mix of difficulty levels and modifiers.

Character Classes
Our heroes are capable individuals but some are better at some things than others. Character classes specifically modify adventuring activities like noticing, climbing, fighting, spell casting, and sneaking. A character can only have one class and can never learn another. They can still learn and cast spells, fight, sneak, climb and so forth but they will never be as good as a specialist.

Archers reduce the difficulty of their missile attacks and spotting tests by 1d6.

Burglars reduce the difficulty of climbing, sneaking, and picking locks by 1d6.

Magicians create a magical talisman, focus, or staff which reduces the cost of casting spells by 1d6.

Rangers reduce the difficulty of climbing, sneaking, tracking, and foraging by 1d6.

Warriors decrease the difficulty of their melee attacks and defenses by 1d6.

Test Agility to hit with thrown and missile attacks. Small targets are one die harder to hit and large targets are one die easier.
Melee and thrown attacks also test on Agility but can also test on Strength. A combatant with a pair of one-handed weapons can make a second attack or a second parry. One melee attack can be parried each round by testing Agility. Missile attacks and spells are one die harder to parry. A character with a shield or additional hand weapon can parry two attacks per round. Shields make parrying one die easier.
When an attack hits its damage is rolled and subtracted, first from the target’s armour then their hit points. They are killed when their hit points reach zero.
If an attack does ten more damage than the target’s Strength they cannot parry and must dodge.
A character heals 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points per day spent resting and per night’s sleep.

Binding Wounds restores 1d6 Hit Points, 2d6 if the character doing it can pass a Knowledge test.

Tests II
The outcome of a characters actions are determined by rolling four six-sided dicey. If the roll is less than or equal to the Characteristic being tested the action succeeds.
Easier and harder tasks are represented by increasing and decreasing the number of dice. A character’s Class and Thing can also reduce the difficulty by one die.

Getting Fancy
If a roll is resisted by an opponent making a roll as when sneaking or attacking, it is possible to get fancy and add one die to your difficulty and theirs. This allows individuals with high ratings to function against each other.

Devil’s Dice
If you roll three sixes on any test, it all goes wrong in the worst possible way.

Keep This In Mind
This system is intended to be flexible and simple and definite, specific lists of difficulties and Characteristic relationships are to be avoided. However, a few adventuring activities might benefit from some discussion.

Test Agility to hit with thrown and missile attacks. Small targets are one die harder to hit and large targets are one die easier.
Melee and thrown attacks also test on Agility but can also test on Strength. A combatant with a pair of one-handed weapons can make a second attack or a second parry. One melee attack can be parried each round by testing Agility. Missile attacks and spells are one die harder to parry. A character with a shield or additional hand weapon can parry two attacks per round. Shields make parrying one die easier.
If an attack does ten more damage than the target’s Strength they cannot parry and must dodge.

A character heals 1d6 Hit Points and 1d6 Magic Points per day spent resting and per night’s sleep. Binding Wounds restores 1d6 Hit Points, 2d6 if the character doing it can pass a Knowledge test.

One other thing I'm thinking about is ditching the setting material for a simple map and gazetteer more like the one in the D&D Expert set. I don't know, I find the open map more evocative and liberating, especially for what is intended to be a very simple and creative game.

I'm working on GM instruction and spells right now. Neither is coming in a creative rush but they're coming along. I've added half a dozen generic fantasy monsters, poison rules, and the long range band for spotting. I've got some ideas for adventure and setting, a dungeon that's a town buried by a rock slide. A noble foe, stuff like that. Anyhow, here's some spells, they're not done but I'm still fiddling with the idea. Some are probably a bit too jokey but then again maybe not.

Duration: Instant, Combat, Day, Year
Range: Melee, Missile, Long, Realm
Area: Melee

Inferno
Fire sweeps through the enemy’s missile zone or the melee zone causing 3d6 ++ damage to everyone therein.

Abject Denial
One illusion within long range is dispelled.

All Defensive
The caster gets 3d6 points of magical armour that last until the end of the combat.

Solemn Reflection
All spells and missile attacks on the target this round are redirected to their source. Roll to hit and for damage normally.

Conjure Item
The desired item appears in the caster’s hand and the cost of the item vanishes from their purse. Courtesy of the sorcerers of Cears Roebuek.

Borne Aloft
The subject rises into the sky, this unexpected buoyancy carries them off the battlefield in two rounds, with the first spent crossing missile range and the second at long range. The wind deposits them gently about an hour later. How far this is depends entirely on the wind speed. Cast indoors they bump along the ceiling following whatever eddies and currents there may be. They can kick off the walls to control their direction. Most ceilings are in melee range but particularly tall halls or chasms may put them at missile range.

Draw
A visible item within missile range leaps to the caster’s hand. If someone else is holding the item they can attempt to resist the pull by testing their Strength but they will lose any attacks or parries that round.

Dread Phantasm
The subject sees a horrifying creature approaching and must test their Resolve or flee.

Burning Sun
Hot light pounds down from above across the entire battle field, penetrating all cover as it it were not there. This horrible light burns at the touch causing 1d6 damage

Crawling Horror
All the enemy see horrific things approaching and must test their Resolve or flee.

Wings of the Falcon
The target sprouts wings which allow them to fly. The wings meld back into their body when the spell ends.

Sound Thrashing
By extending their reach in space and time, the caster can make unarmed attacks at missile range. The projected force creates loud, echoing, sounds on impact.

State of Denial
The caster and those within melee range of them are protected by a shimmering field of magical energy. The field has nd6 hit points which must be destroyed before anyone within can be injured by attacks coming from outside it. The field destroys illusions that come in contact with it.

Flings Things
The target is wrenched off the ground and forcefully hurled through the air to missile range or the first available solid object causing d6 on impact.

Flash Fry
The skin of a target in melee range is seared by a blinding flash of light for nd6 damage

Ice Storm
Calls down the wrath of the North-East wing on the entire battle field. All missile attacks are 1d6 harder, movement is difficult requiring an Agility test to get anywhere and Canadians buy all the toilet paper within 100 miles.

Invisibility 4
The caster and anything they are carrying become transparent to light while still being able to see. This makes attempts to spot them 2d6 harder for anyone within long range.

Conflagration 2
Causes the target to burst into flame, causing 3d6 + 1d6 per level damage to anyone unlucky enough to be in melee with them.

Summon Spirit
There is a magical, ethereal world adjacent to and overlapping the mundane world. The inhabitants thereof are sometimes the spirits of the dead but may also be supernatural beings of good or evil intent or natural powers of creation going about their business. The caster can designate which type of spirit the wish to summon it will answer three questions to the best of its ability or carry one whispered message to anywhere in the world.

Summon Monster
A creature of the specified type appears. Summoned monsters will serve the caster for the length of the combat.

Unleash the Beast Within
The target is transformed into a monstrous, berserk beast, and will charge the nearest foe and engage them in melee combat. The bestial form gives +2d6 Strength, +2d6 Health, -1d6 Knowledge and natural weapons. The condition persists for until the end of the battle.

Mirage
Creates a simple image out of light and shadow. Such images can be deceptive but lack sounds, smells, or subtle psychic feed back of a real illusion.

Illusion
Creates an animated image of a creature or object with sound. It is hard to detect an illusion without touching it as the effect also subtly influences the mind. There’s also the hard reality of summoned monsters lending illusions credibility.

Glamour
The most powerful illusions are indistinguishable from the real thing. Food can be eaten, wounds caused, hills climbed. The problem is that the thing created vanishes when the spell ends. Real effects like wounds caused by a glamour or altitude gained remain in place.

Call Animal
A natural animal common to the area appears at long range and approaches the caster. They will follow simple orders including fighting or allowing themselves to be ridden.

Wrath of the Skies
Lighting leaps and jumps across the field of battle striking everyone within missile range of the caster for 1d6 damage

The Sight
The target can see into the ethereal, magical plane beyond the mortal realm. This allows them to see magic and magical effects out to long range and pierces invisibility and illusion.

huh, busy weekend, here we go again, a map and gazateer:Map.jpg

The Dark Wall Mountains
Early in the first strife, by his godly powers over the Earth, Baaraakaar raised up a vast range of mountains to guard his realm from those of the other gods. These mountains are deeply tunneled and heavily fortified, garrisoned by endless hordes of Orcs and Goblins which often cross the barren lands south of the mountains to raid Vailnora and Valinestra.

Realm of Darkness
Here in the valley of Dark Shadow Pass are the great armories and garrisons of Baaraakaar. It is said that he personally dwells in the darkest dungeons forever seeking the keys to eternal night. The Realm of Darkness is mainly populated by Goblins, Orcs, and Ogres but the dark lord of the high tower is usually a Human or Troll. The position is a precarious one and few rise to hold it for more than a season. The current dark lord, the woman known as Darursula is an exception having ruled with an iron fist for twenty years.

Vassal Realms of Darkness
The cold and dry lands beyond the Dark Wall Mountains are mostly inhabited by humans who have been conquered by the Realm of Darkness. Local authorities are human but the Orcs and Ogres of the dark lord have garrisons in each of the dozens of small kingdoms lying under the shadow. There is a legend that speaks of a small kingdom, fortunate enough to have a fertile and well fortified position that holds out against the Realm of Darkness. Many great heroes have set forth to discover it but none have ever returned.

Arnharg Raiders
The coasts west of the Vassal Realms of Darkness are inhabited by a hardy seafaring folk. Tribes of human bondsmen ruled by trolls. Their ships sail down in the spring to raid and pillage the coasts of Vailnora and Tamar.

Wolf Fang Bay
This bay is lined with triangular islands and so, in the minds of some, resembles the gaping mouth of a wolf. There are a particularly savage race of Merfolk who dwell in the depths with their half wolf, half shark companions. The fate of those who fall overboard is grisly and greatly feared by even the Anharg Raiders.

Vailnora
The North Western kingdom of Vailnora faces raids from the Arnharg Raiders and the Orcs of the Darkwall Mountains. The chivalry of her knights is a practical thing. Their armor is not shining or polished but their swords are sharp and their valor unquestionable. The king of Vailnora is an aging giant of a man fully seven feet tall and broad in the shoulders. His joints are swollen with rheumatism and he is hard pressed to stand and walk but he is a generous patron of heroes and his treasury seems limitless.

Tamar
The fertile ground of Tamar is often swampy and they employ few mounted troops in battle being ruled by an ancient sect of rangers rather than kings and knights. The Tamarites have a great love of the natural world and are on friendlier terms with the elves than is common in these days.

Grim Shadow Mountains
There are three score dwarven holds in the Grim Shadow Mountains, each of which claims to be the seat of the true king of their folk. While the civil war that sundered them is long past, their rivalries have an outlet in contests of craft and sport with tunnel ball being the current favorite.

Valinestra
The dry plains of Valinestra are home to the legendary Weefolk riders of Valinestra with each tribe taking the name of their favoured mount. The tribes herd sheep and cattle but ride ostriches, raptor lizards, and even mammoths, gianturtles and snails. The champions of Vanlinestra share the common duty of watching over Dark Shadow Pass but it is said that they raid the Dark Shadow Mountains more often than the Orcs raid them.

Bay of Grimshade
The Grimshadow mountains can be seen from the far shore of this great bay which is surrounded by small human kingdoms. Who’s navies and trading ships ply the southern coasts and join with the navies of Tamar to do battle with the Anharg raiders every spring.

Sea of Brinesalt
The northern shores of this salty sea are the winter quarters and farmed fields of Valinestra. There are four kingdoms of men which dwell between the rivers and the Dragon Ridge Mountains on the southern shore.

Korakshav
The Warriors of Korakshav share heritage with the Nomads of Valinestra and the Legions of hte Tormatine Empire which claims those lands lying on the northern shores of the Rift of Woe. The Korakshav riders are famous for their winged battle banners, rowdy temperament, and wild courage.

Rift of Woe
In ancient days Korakshav and Tormatine were one land but they were sundered when the realm of Dorhast sank beneath the waves. Odd items from the sunken realm occasionally wash up on the shores and are seen as omens of ill tidings.

The Flooded Realm of Dorhast
There are those who claim that Dorhast sank beneath the waves for her wickedness or as a result of greedily delving for gold by Dwarves in the Gilded Mountains. There are also those who say that Baaraakaar himself smote the ground deep beneath the earth to destroy a goodly people who had done no wrong. Whatever may be the case, a remnant of the inhabitants of Dorhast still dwell in sealed underwater cities beneath the waves and trade with the merfolk. Occasionally daring souls will swim up or down but there is little trade or commerce as the transition is often deadly within a day or two.

Dragon Ridge Mountains
These mountains were once the home to many Dwarven holds but their wealth and fame drew down many dragons and now only their dragon haunted ruins remain. The dragons are numbered and studied by an order of monks who believe they will one day find the key to bring the dragons to the side of light in the final battle with Baaraakaar and his forces of darkness.

Vashmorest Sealords
The southern rain forests are claimed by the knights of the sea, who’s coastal holdings lie in sheltered bays where they can weather the wild storms of the Southern Ocean. There can be no doubt the Vashmorest are the boldest naval warriors in the world. Each great ship is captained by a knight of the order of the leviathan.

Last edited:
I think the rules are solid enough to write some examples. Here's a sample character and the mass combat rules.

Sample Character
Diphthong Palindrome
Wee Folk Burglar Baker
Level 1
Agility 15
Fortune 12
Health 9
Knowledge 11
Move 8
Perception 12
Resolve 7
Strength 6
Talent 5

Status 8
Appearance 13

3 Daggers 1d3+2 damage
Leather Armour 3
1 Week Rations
Pocket Handkerchief

Mass Combat
Fantasy novels and movies often feature big, epic battles. A detailed treatment is well beyond the scope of these rules but a very basic method of determining who won may come in handy. Roll 1d6 for each side, +1 for better than two to one odds, +1 for defending a fortress, having a large monster advantage, having more or superior magic, having better equipment and/or having cavalry. The side with the highest total wins the battle with about half of the force surviving by fleeing. If the winning side’s total is twice that of their enemy only a tenth of the force survives to flee. The undead and other forces that don’t flee have no survivors but the other side takes casualties as if they had lost.

Taking out the large monster is a good task for those player character types.

Naval Combat
A Fantasy Game is set before the development of gunpowder. This means naval battles are largely about ramming and boarding actions which is where the fun is. The player characters should be leaping and swinging and climbing all over the place.

The mass combat rule is good enough to rule on the outcome of fleet actions. That leaves us with the question of chases and overtaking and ramming. Flight is the usual response to a superior foe. Ramming is, of course restricted to galleys and rowed vessels with rams. Sailing ships have a speed based on their rigging and the wind speed though, for the most part both sides are using the same wind. Both events are determined by rolling a Speed for both vessels with the high roll achieving manueouvre advantage. Being able to increase or reduce the range by one step.

Oars 1d6
Square Sails 2d6
Advanced Sails 3d6
Freighter - 1d6
Cutter +1d6
Heavy Laden -1d6
Becalmed -1d6 for sails
High Winds + 1d6 for sails

Missile fire is mainly restricted to sweeping the decks with arrows and flaming arrows. A mass combat d6 roll for each side determines the result with the winner reducing the other side’s ability to crew their vessel and return fire. If the total is double the decks are largely cleared leaving only major characters alive.

Boarding actions are accomplished with “corvus” boarding planks with hooks on the end or by swinging on ropes. Agility tests are required for the later with swimming tests being required immediately after failure. Again, a simple mass combat roll off determines the outcome of the overall battle.

I find I'm quite divided on the magic thing. I sure wind up duplicating descriptions where a single entry would do. Sure there's some colorful stuff like Borne Aloft and Flings Things but there's also a lot of Shape of the Wolf or what not. I'm starting to think I should just add specific instances, for instance Each Shape Change and list some possible shapes rather than allowing for a general shape changing spell. The problem is that scalable spells are fairly easy to abuse. I guess the real question is which is easier to use and tighter in play. Also, I'm not really sold on jokey spell names and evocative ones tend to need some context Zarmigles Enbigglement is a bit meaningless on its own. It's a generic game so I'm just unsure where I want to go with it. My quantum game design problem persists. I design things every possible way.

I think the following should do it for GMing advice and designer's notes:

The system presented here is intended to be quick and dirty, clean and easy to learn and functional enough to bend to any task. That being said they are also quite abstract and do little to created descriptive detail or shape the course of play. Such systems can be difficult to run because they don’t do much to help the master set their course. The setting and adventures presented here are intended to be quite generic and open to interpretation and tailoring. Roleplaying adventure games are creative endeavors. Don’t be afraid to reach into your own psyche for ideas or swipe them from favorite books and movies.

In the end, the master must be the final arbitrator of the rules. The game is theirs. This shouldn’t be taken to mean they can just block any player ideas that don’t fit with their plans. Indeed, such behaviour will quickly lead to a player revolt. Roleplaying adventure games are a group activity and one must be flexible and open to ideas even when that thing you didn’t consider will ruin everything you have planned. It is far better to have a living world where events are taking place than a fixed narrative for the players to pantomime their way through.

As characters are fairly simple, experienced players should be allowed to play two or three at a time if they wish as long as their money and possessions are kept separate and not passed between them freely. That said, the combat rules are quite deadly but this is mitigated by armour and using fortune. The players should be willing to accept failure and character death as a natural consequence of adventuring. Playing a tailor who never leaves town is safer but not much fun.

As the Player Characters gain experience the challenges they face should also increase. More difficult and impressive circumstances should be encountered. Instead of an easy trellis the wall is sheer and slick with rain. At lower levels the master should endeavor to keep things fairly easy but the difficulty of tests should increase to meet the capabilities of the heroes.

The rules don’t simulate or narrate much of anything. They’re really just a simple tool to resolve events. It’s up to the players and master to breathe life into the game. When it comes to arguments about how things would work in the “real world” it can help to remember that your playing a game with dragons and wizards. It’s best to focus on the rules results and describe those rather than trying to force the rules results to match reality. If a player wants to pick at the details, don’t be afraid to say “shut up and play the game.”

The monsters are pretty generic examples from myth and legend and years of roleplaying games. They’re here to serve as examples and benchmarks. Monster creation is pretty simple with their level being the number of dice over the 30d6 human total plus a level for each level of any power possessed.

The following rules provide tools for handling a couple common events in fantasy tales without a lot of fuss. It cannot be stressed enough that they are not tactical or logistical simulations. They will not bear the weight of exact numbers or close examination. The focus should be on the actions of the player characters at all times. Thus it is best to use somewhat vague statements like lots or way more than you have or several to describe things.

Dungeon
The town of Rocky Crest was once a thriving mining and quarry town. The dwarven hold delved into the mountain side for iron, gems, and silver while the humans in the trade town in the valley quarried the rocky crest that gave the town its name for hard granite. Then, one a fine spring morning the ground shook with a great rumbling and the mountainside came cascading down, burying the town, leaving only the watch tower on the ridge untouched. Many believe the cataclysm was caused by the dwarven mines but legend tells no dwarves ever emerged from the mountain after the slide. Because the town was largely built of local stone, many survivors climbed from the wreckage and as the weeks of rescue efforts went by and food became scarce, they drifted away down the river on the remaining barges that once hauled cut stone to the cities away to the south on the coast.

Ages passed and the tower still stands there above the strewn boulders. And ever, the restless and the desperate, adventurers journey to the ruins in search of treasure.

The dungeon can be set in the Dragon Ridge mountains or moved where ever the master sees fit, as long as there are some mountains, of course.

There is a small village just south of the slide where remnants of the town’s population eak out a living by herding sheep.

There are a number of large tunnels that lie open in the slide. Most simply come to a dead end but a few others go down, deep into the ground.

1 Functionary’s Living Chamber
The door is locked. The lord’s chief advisor and manager’s room contains a lavish bed, that looks solid but is full of giant bed bugs. Anyone touching the bed is swarmed for 1d6 damage, anyone laying in it takes 3d6 damage. The bedding is dry and flammable. There is also a desk and book shelf in reasonable condition. The books have all crumbled to dust but under the infested mattress there is a treatise on the dangers of black magic. The whole thing is a hoax but very collectable.

2 Great Hall
Here the hold lord held court and banquets. There are a number of alcoves in the walls, each alcove contains a Skeleton. These will attack when the adventurers are in the middle of the room and try to surround them.

3 Ready Room
This room was used to prepare expeditions, put on coats and boots, and have a good smoke. There is a small ventilation shaft in the roof that lets in a bit of dim light. There are coat pegs and indentations for boots in the far corner nook.

4 Kitchen and Dining Area
There is a broken workbench / table here. The wood is worm eaten and rotten. Each of the nooks has a chimney but only one is still clear and there is a large puddle to show it.
5 Sitting Room
The lords and ladies used to sit and play cards and dice to pass the time or work on embroidery or sewing. The floor is scattered with the wreckage of a large table and chairs.

6 Chapel
Here, the gods were worshiped and there are bas-reliefs on the walls showing all of them. The room is still faintly holy so undead and demonic beings will avoid it.

7 Priest’s Chamber
The door is locked. A largely sound wooden bedframe, chairs and table remain. An ancient work of scripture sits on the table. It contains earlier versions of present day scripture and would cause quite a stir if not a holy war should it be brought to light. The paper is very dry and brittle.

8. Training Room
A number of old cloth and straw training dummies are moldering here. A few wooden training weapons are in the alcoves but they are all fragile with age.

9. - The door is locked
10. Captain’s Living Chamber
The hold’s military leader’s chamber features a solid bed and neatly folded clothing and blankets on a shelf. There is a good shortsword, (2d+2), a battle axe (5d), and shirt of Dwarven mail (Armour 15) hanging on a wooden crosspiece stand in the corner.

11. Chamberlain’s Living Chamber
The lord’s accountant and quartermaster dwelt here. There is a large shelf of ledgers on engraved slates in obscure Dwarven runes, a desk, and a simple bed.

12. Champion’s Living Chamber
The mightiest warrior in the hold was rewarded his own chamber. There are heavy stones drilled through, a simple pallet, and a bar hanging by chains from the ceiling. A crosspiece stand in the corner might have once held a suit of fine armour.

13. Arms Master’s Chamber
The master at arms trained the hold’s warriors. There is a padded suit, steel helmet, and a number of wooden training weapons hanging on pegs along the wall. The bed is low and the straw in the mattress has decayed to dust.

14. Sitting Nook
This quite nook contains a stack of empty oak barrels and wooden benches made by placing planks on empty oak barrels.

15. Maiden’s Living Chamber
The lady’s maidens shared this room with two rotting bunk beds and pile of rags in the corner that were once elaborate gowns.
16. Lady’s Living Chamber
This room features colorful wall hangings tattered and moth eaten at the edges, a silvered mirror, small table, and a large bed.

17. Miner’s Barracks
The eight broken bunk beds in this room once housed the miners. There are some old, dented tin lanterns and pickaxe heads lying in the rubbish.

18. Guard’s Barracks
There are 8 rotting bunk bed frames in various states of disrepair here. An illegible tally on the wall tracks the arm wrestling league’s progress.

19. Living Chamber
20. Living Chamber - Something has tunneled through the walls here.
21. Living Chamber - Something has tunneled through the walls here.
22. Rock Maggot Tunnel
This wide tunnel was bored out by a gigantic rock maggot. This gives the tunnel a strange ribbed texture.
23. Living Chamber
Something has tunneled through the walls here.
24. Living Chamber
Something has tunneled through the walls here.
25. Rock Maggot Tunnel
This wide tunnel was bored out by a gigantic rock maggot. This gives the tunnel a strange ribbed texture. A section of the wall plastered up with hardened rock maggot vomit contains half a dozen eggs, two of which are hatching. The creatures will lash out at any light source.

26. Audience Chamber
This chamber was used for private audiences. Something has tunneled through the walls here.

27. Rock Maggot Tunnel
This wide tunnel was bored out by a gigantic rock maggot. This gives the tunnel a strange ribbed texture.

Troglodytes
These pale, large eyed humanoids are descended from humans trapped beneath the Earth in ages past. They live by tending and herding the gigantic rock maggots which make their tunnels and cultivate a pale, glowing fungus, which they brew and eat.
They fight with simple stone weapons, and prefer to eliminate any lights the enemy may have.

Level 0 Combat Level 0
Nocturnal
Agility 3d6 (10)
Fortune 2d6 (7)
Health 3d6 (10)
Knowledge 2d6 (7)
Move 3d6 (10)
Perception 2d6 (7)
Resolve 4d6 (14)
Strength 3d6 (10)
Talent 3d6 (10)

Rock Maggots
These giant soft worms slowly gnaw through solid stone. Their saliva softens the rock and their mouths are lined with hard rock with which they grind away at the stone over the long years. Rock maggots are the larval form of the Bale Flies of the apocalypse. This is a fairly average specimen, fifty feet long and fifteen wide.

Level 4.5 Combat Level 5
Natural Weapons
Agility 1d6 (3)
Fortune 2d6 (7)
Health 8d6 (28)
Knowledge 1d3 (2)
Move 1d6 (3)
Perception 2d6 (7)
Resolve 4d6 (14)
Strength 6d6 (21)
Talent 2d6 (7)

Hatchlings
Level -6.5 Combat Level -2
Natural Weapons
Agility 1d6 (3)
Fortune 2d6 (7)
Health 3d6 (28)
Knowledge 1d3 (2)
Move 1d6 (3)
Perception 2d6 (7)
Resolve 4d6 (14)
Strength 3d6 (10)
Talent 2d6 (7)

Image (328).jpg

I'm working on GM instruction and spells right now. Neither is coming in a creative rush but they're coming along. I've added half a dozen generic fantasy monsters, poison rules, and the long range band for spotting. I've got some ideas for adventure and setting, a dungeon that's a town buried by a rock slide. A noble foe, stuff like that. Anyhow, here's some spells, they're not done but I'm still fiddling with the idea. Some are probably a bit too jokey but then again maybe not.
I'm always torn between the flavorful vs generic type spells. The problem with flavor is what taste good to can be unappealing to another. Except for cauliflower, that is just fundamentally bad all around :smile:

On your observation about D&D players and excuses, not matter what you do it will be criticized as too much flavor, too little, the wrong kind...it's the nature of the D&D beast.

From a design perspective, I design spells based on mechanical effect in a logical/progressive manner just so can make sure a level 3 spell is more than a level 1 but less than a level 5.

Flavor in names and evocative descriptions to me are just skins that can be added later based on setting and the vibe one is going for.

I like your spell names by the way for what it is worth.

Thanks

I'm afraid I've been a bit busy with other things this week, but here's something for the fourth:

Character Classes
Our heroes are capable individuals but some are better at some things than others. Character classes specifically modify adventuring activities like noticing, fighting, spell casting, and sneaking. The class is picked at first level and a character can only, have that one character class ever.

Bounty Hunters reduce the difficulty of investigation, shooting, and fighting tests by 1d6.

Knights reduce the difficulty of fighting with beam blades and power tests by 1d6.

Pilots reduce the difficulty of piloting and gunnery tests by 1d6.

Scientists reduce the difficulty of analysis and sensor tests by 1d6.

Smugglers reduce the difficulty of bargaining and lying by 1d6.

Soldiers reduce the difficulty of fighting, shooting, and gunnery tests by 1d6.

Technicians reduce the difficulty of repair and building tests by 1d6.

Wizards reduce the difficulty of power tests by 1d6.

The Power
All consciousness in the universe is linked together by a strange force called The Power. Adepts of the power can accomplish great feats but there are limits. Test the adept’s Talent modified by the difficulty of the feat to determine whether they succeed. The test is one die easier if they are meditating in a stress free environment and one die harder if they are in combat.

All uses of The Power require active concentration and last only as long as the user’s will remains focused. Thus, using the power counts as an action in combat.

Applied Kinetics
The adept focuses on an object and causes it to move as if by mind over matter. The basic Strength and Speed of Applied Kinetics are equal to the adept’s Talent. Objects can be used to slam into foes by testing Perception to hit.

Enervation
The adept channels The Power through their body allowing it to achieve incredible feats of leaping. The adept’s Talent is added to their Speed.

Dissipation
Energy can be absorbed and deflected away from the adept through force of will. Damage equal to their Talent is cancelled out while they concentrate.

Photovoltaic Discarge
The user unleashes the unlimited force of The Power throwing lightning bolts at their foes. These do damage based on their Talent instead of Strength on the Damage Table.

Prognostication
The adept attunes their spirit with the flowing power of eternity to obtain glimpses of the future, past, and present. The information is fleeting and dream-like with strong emotional connections warping and focusing the content.

Advanced armour gives no penalty to climbing, stealth, and swimming tests.

Beam Blades do 10d6 damage regardless of the strength of the wielder and can be used to parry any and all attacks.

Electro weapons do 1d6 more damage than an equivalent

Ballistic weapons do damage equivalent to the strength of the user and can make 3 attacks per round. Rifles can attack targets at long range at a 1d6 penalty. Ballistic weapons are parried and dodged at a 1d6 penalty.

Laser Weapons do 1d6 more damage than a normal weapon of similar size and can make 3 attacks per round. Rifles can attack targets at long range at a 1d6 penalty. Laser weapons are parried and dodged at a 1d6 penalty.

Automatic Weapons are generally heavier and can attack all targets in a melee group.

Tripods allow a heavier weapon to be used as if the user’s Strength was 10 points higher.

Scopes and Sights remove the penalty for shooting at long range.

Force shields can parry any and all attacks with a 1d6 bonus.

Scanners make spotting 1d6 easier.

Vehicles
Space Opera is about technology and vehicles are one of the more obvious examples. Vehicles are rated for Size, Thrust, Firepower, Shields, and Capacity. Size is roughly analogous to Strength, Capacity is the amount of Size not taken up by other equipment, Thrust is how fast the vehicle can move, Shields absorb damage like armour, and Firepower is how much damage the vehicle can dish out.

Vehicles In Combat
A vehicle’s driver can try to out maneuver another vehicle by rolling their Perception on 3d6. The other vehicle can try to contest that by rolling their driver’s Perception on 3d6 or to turn the tables by outmaneuvering their foe on 4d6. The vehicle with the lower Speed increases their difficulty by 1d6. It is only possible to outmaneuver or turn the tables on one foe per turn but any number of attempts can be contested.
An outmaneuvered vehicle cannot attack their enemy with forward fixed weapons and has the difficulty of other attacks increased by 1d6.
Vehicles can move from long range to melee range in one round.

A vehicle chase is handled by allowing the faster vehicle to increase or close the range by one each round. An out maneuvering attempt can be made to throw off pursuit and increase or decrease the range by one stage. If the range exceeded the fleeing vehicle has escaped.

Vehicles have a Size rating which corresponds to Strength, a Speed rating which corresponds to velocity, and an Durability rating which corresponds to Hit Points

Size and Strength and Speed relate to real world figures. We’re going to relate these things directly to mass at an order of magnitude every five points. So a size of 1 is 1 kg, 6 is 10, 12 is 100, 18 is 1000 kg, 24 is 10000kg, 30 is 100000kg, 36 is 1000000kg and so forth. With size this is in kilograms and with speed it is in meters per turn or 1/20 that in kilometers per hour. Armoured vehicles have armour equal to their Size.

D x
1 1.46779
2 2.15443
3 3.16227
4 4.64158
5 6.81292
6 10

Size
Capacity
Thrust
Shields
Firepower

Xquad
Size 60
Capacity
Thrust
Shields
Firepower

1 Crew
1 Robot
4 Lasers
6 Torpedoes
Star Drive

Y Fork
Size 62
Size
Capacity
Thrust
Shields
Firepower

2 Crew
1 Robot
2 Lasers
1 Statturret
Star Drive

Awedge
Size 54
Capacity
Thrust
Shields
Firepower

1 Crew
1 Robot
2 Lasers
5 Torpedoes
Star Drive

Bean Pole
Size
Capacity
Thrust
Shields
Firepower

2 Crew
1 Robot
8 Lasers
12 Torpedos

Twinhex
Size
Capacity
Thrust
Shields
Firepower

1Crew
2 Lasers

Twingwedge
Size
Capacity
Thrust
Shields
Firepower

1 Crew
4 Lasers
2 Torpedoes

Twintwin
Size
Capacity
Thrust
Shields
Firepower

2 Crew
2 Lasers
12 Bombs

Ctransport
Size
Capacity
Thrust
Shields
Firepower

Frigate
Cruiser
Destroyer

The galaxy contains uncounted habitable worlds, for some values of “habitable.” Most of these are within the “goldilocks zone” where it is possible for liquid water to exist. Many strange life forms are found on such worlds, some indigenous, some imported.

Lizard Folk
Level 1
Natural Weapons
Agility 3d6
Fortune 3d6
Health 3d6
Knowledge 3d6
Move 3d6
Perception 4d6
Resolve 3d6
Strength 3d6
Talent 3d6

Bigfeet
Level 3
Agility 3d6
Fortune 3d6
Health 4d6
Knowledge 3d6
Move 3d6
Perception 3d6
Resolve 3d6
Strength 5d6
Talent 3d6

Squidfaces
Level 0
Agility 3d6
Fortune 3d6
Health 3d6
Knowledge 3d6
Move 3d6
Perception 4d6
Resolve 3d6
Strength 2d6
Talent 3d6

Tailheads
Level 1
Agility 4d6
Fortune 3d6
Health 3d6
Knowledge 3d6
Move 3d6
Perception 3d6
Resolve 3d6
Strength 3d6
Talent 3d6

Riding Lizards
Level -1
Agility 3d6
Fortune 1d6
Health 4d6
Knowledge 1d6
Move 5d6
Perception 4d6
Resolve 2d6
Strength 5d6
Talent 1d6

Giant Worms

Level 2
Natural Weapons
Agility 1d6
Fortune 1d6
Health 6d6
Knowledge 1
Move 6d6
Perception 1d6
Resolve 6d6
Strength 6d6
Talent 1

Snowaroos
Level -2

Agility 3d6
Fortune 1d6
Health 4d6
Knowledge 1d6
Move 4d6
Perception 4d6
Resolve 2d6
Strength 5d6
Talent 1d6

Horned Ice Ape
These ferocious solitary predators are often found on icebound worlds, how they survive and what they eat is a mystery.

Level -1
Natural Weapons
Heavy Fur
Agility 3d6
Fortune 1d6
Health 4d6
Knowledge 1d6
Move 4d6
Perception 4d6
Resolve 4d6
Strength 4d6
Talent 1d6