Can anyone recommend me some really eerie scenarios?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Rob Necronomicon

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Hullo!

My online group wants me to run some really eerie horror games. Anything with a lot of atmosphere basically... I don't really mind what system tbh as I'd just convert it over to whatever I do decide to use. They were looking for something around the Victorian era, but again, I could convert it over if it was a more modern or ye old.

Ta' very much!

PS - They are all Ravenloft and Lamentations vets. So, I'll probably not be using anything official from those lines as they might have played/ran them.

That looks amazing! Do you know what the system is like?

It uses Free League's Year Zero system. Its very good. The corebook has a good starter scenario with some genuine creepy moments. The setting is 18th century but its more early to mid that century rather than what is commonly referred to as Victorian. Should be easy to adapt though.

For a modern scenario, I highly recommend Oakwood Heights for Kult found herehttps://kultdivinitylost.com/resources/.

You can run it using the free quickstart found here: https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1482352793668.pdf

That looks amazing! Do you know what the system is like?

Cheers!

What Skywalker Skywalker said. It is a small d6 dice pool. PCs get conditions that slowly errode body and mind. When they take enough damage or mental trauma they acquire scars which stay with them. PCs seem very mortal but they can see the spirts and creatures that few others can. They also have a headquarters they can build. Because the monsters are Swedish I don't really know most of them which is positive to me. And the system walks a GM through heavily customizing them.

Anything by Free League is amazing. This one is no exception.

It uses Free League's Year Zero system. Its very good. The corebook has a good starter scenario with some genuine creepy moments. The setting is 18th century but its more early to mid that century rather than what is commonly referred to as Victorian. Should be easy to adapt though.

For a modern scenario, I highly recommend Oakwood Heights for Kult found herehttps://kultdivinitylost.com/resources/.

You can run it using the free quickstart found here: https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1482352793668.pdf

Cool... I really like the Mutant Year Zero system. Cheers!

What Skywalker Skywalker said. It is a small d6 dice pool. PCs get conditions that slowly errode body and mind. When they take enough damage or mental trauma they acquire scars which stay with them. PCs seem very mortal but they can see the spirts and creatures that few others can. They also have a headquarters they can build. Because the monsters are Swedish I don't really know most of them which is positive to me. And the system walks a GM through heavily customizing them.

Anything by Free League is amazing. This one is no exception.

I don't know too much about Swedish folklore. So, I'm really looking forward to checking that out too. Thanks.

2 questions: If you have played a Fria Ligan game using the M:YZ system, are the others easy to grok?

Also, I remember reading a free system-agnostic or maybe intended-for-CoC adventure a while back. It may have been a contest winner or a user submission. It was after or maybe during WWI, abd it took place on a train. Each of the characters (I think there were pregens, still system agnostic) had something that haunted them. One was a veteran. I can't remember the name, but I remember it being very creepy. Not Victorian, of course. Does anyone else know what I'm referring to here?

I find it very, very easy to go from one Year Zero game to another. They all tweak the system a bit to fit the setting/genre, but the core remains pretty consistent from one game to another. The system overall is pretty light, and easy to teach.

No clue on the CoC scenario, I'm afraid.

2 questions: If you have played a Fria Ligan game using the M:YZ system, are the others easy to grok?

*looking at my signature* I would say so. I generally find it easier than moving from WoD or nWoD games TBH. The core system is pretty consistently presented between RPGs with changes being driven mostly by the changes in the setting/genre rather than revision. You may fall foul of remembering rules from one game but it should not be fatal even if you do.

Last edited:
In Media Res by John Scott Tynes is the creepiest one I can think of. It's modern day but could be placed earlier. It's creepy in a True Detective sense and even more so since the PCs are criminally insane prison escapees, definitely not for everyone. I'm not sure where you would get it from now, it was in an early Unspeakable Oath and reprinted in a Pagan Publishing collection.

Joy and Sorrow for Unknown Armies is also quite creepy. Its set in a modern day setting, but could be easily transported to the Victorian Era with a few changes to the characters.

Joy and Sorrow for Unknown Armies is also quite creepy. Its set in a modern day setting, but could be easily transported to the Victorian Era with a few changes to the characters.

Thanks! I'll have a look into that one as well!

In Media Res by John Scott Tynes is the creepiest one I can think of. It's modern day but could be placed earlier. It's creepy in a True Detective sense and even more so since the PCs are criminally insane prison escapees, definitely not for everyone. I'm not sure where you would get it from now, it was in an early Unspeakable Oath and reprinted in a Pagan Publishing collection.

I've heard of that scenario alright, but I've never read it. If it's creepy in a true detective sense then it's right up my alley. :smile:

Rob Necronomicon Rob Necronomicon Are you familiar with the game Dead of Night? It has a metacurrency mechanic that directs the tension level so it's somewhat narrative/directive, which might or might not be your thing. But I recall a number of the scenarios being pretty creepy. Might be worth checking out, even if just for ideas and the excellent artwork.

werewolfsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Another possibility, although it is not really a scenario, nor is it period, is the Book of Unremitting Horror. I think there is a Gumshoe and a D20 version. It is a collection of really, really creepy monsters with great info to help you run an investigative game using them. Possibly some of the creepiest things I've ever seen for an RPG. If your players are OK with something modern day, I think this could produce a really eerie, disturbing game for them, and if not, I'm sure some of them could be adapted to a scenario set in the past.

Another possibility, although it is not really a scenario, nor is it period, is the Book of Unremitting Horror. I think there is a Gumshoe and a D20 version. It is a collection of really, really creepy monsters with great info to help you run an investigative game using them. Possibly some of the creepiest things I've ever seen for an RPG. If your players are OK with something modern day, I think this could produce a really eerie, disturbing game for them, and if not, I'm sure some of them could be adapted to a scenario set in the past.

Thanks, that looks cool. I'll definitely have a gander at it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back