Doctor Who mega-thread [Spoilers][Merged]

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Reaction score
Or at least, I hope it will become so. :smile: I've fallen deeply in love with DW the last couple of years, both the show (classic and NuWho) and the RPG. We should have many conversations here about DW in all its forms. :smile:

Which version of Doctor Who have you been playing?

I am going through the old episodes now while we are waiting for then Christmas special and the new series. Presently on the second series of Tom Baker. Going back to the older episodes is adding a lot to my appreciation of Nu Who.

Reactions: Aos
Sorry, I wasn't specific: I mean the current DW RPG by Cubicle 7, formerly called Doctor Who Adventures in Time and Space, now just called the DWRPG.

I'm on my second time through all the classic Who; just started season 9 (the Third Doctor's third season). I wasn't crazy about Dr3 at first, but seeing the connections with Capaldi's Doctor, I'm warming up to him.

I am huge fan of classic. Are you all aware of the Britbox streaming service? It has the majority of classic who. I like to roll it whilst I draw.
I have long thought that one could make a hell of a sand box based on the Daleks (#1's Second adventure).

I am huge fan of classic. Are you all aware of the Britbox streaming service? It has the majority of classic who. I like to roll it whilst I draw.
I have long thought that one could make a hell of a sand box based on the Daleks (#1's Second adventure).
BritBox, yes indeed! My first time through classic Who was via DVDs, but this second time, I'm leaning heavily on BritBox. I'm not sure I understand why some episodes aren't available (other than the missing episodes, obvs), but my local library should fill in the gaps.

BritBox, yes indeed! My first time through classic Who was via DVDs, but this second time, I'm leaning heavily on BritBox. I'm not sure I understand why some episodes aren't available (other than the missing episodes, obvs), but my local library should fill in the gaps.
Most of the unavailable eps seem to be flashy Dialek episodes like Day of and Planet of.
If you haven't seen #2's Web of Fear (found only within the last few years) I highly recommend it.

Most of the unavailable eps seem to be flashy Dialek episodes like Day of and Planet of.
If you haven't seen #2's Web of Fear (found only within the last few years) I highly recommend it.
Yes, Web of Fear! Dr2 / Patrick Troughton is my favorite!

Reactions: Aos

What is Britbox and is it available in the US?

I've been reviewing Doctor Who with Brendan on his podcast recently (he's too polite for blatant promotion, but I am not). Since the last season ended we have been doing the Baker episodes and Torchwood. Brendan doesn't know the Baker era well, and I didn't watch Torchwood, which keeps it interesting.

We reviewed the Baker era in a slightly screwy order. We were originally going to just review some of the classic episodes, so we started with "Genesis of the Daleks" and "The Ark in Space", but then we decided we wanted to do all the Baker episodes. We just finished the first series.

If you haven't gathered, I am always up for talking about Who, so I greatly approve of this thread. I'm thrilled that we are getting more of David Bradley as the First Doctor for Chistmas.

I was kinda disappointed by Torchwood, overall.

Most of the first season was just crap. Countrycide was the only episode worth the time. It was edgy, trying-too-hard rubbish. We're on past the watershed! We can say "bum"! But we have no idea why we'd want to! Bum.

Second season, it got good, really good. Rhys was a great companion (If you try and claim Rhys isn't Gwen's companion, you are wrong), all the characters got interesting stories and development... sure, it was The X Files Except In Cardiff, but it all worked well and properly felt like "adult" Doctor Who. To The Last Man and Adrift are great episodes.

Children of Earth, I wasn't so keen on, but I can understand why everyone else really liked it.

And then there's Miracle Day, where it all goes off the rails. The situation is simultaneously over-the-top and boring, there are long stretches in the middle of the series where not a lot happens, and it breaks continuity with Doctor Who. It all felt a bit like it was trying to be too big but without understanding how to maintain that for ten episodes.

I do remember mention of a Torchwood book for the Doctor Who RPG; apparently it was a separate license, so it would need to be a separate corebook. But that's clearly never happened, and at this point.

Most of the first season was just crap. Countrycide was the only episode worth the time. It was edgy, trying-too-hard rubbish. We're on past the watershed! We can say "bum"! But we have no idea why we'd want to! Bum.

Second season, it got good, really good. Rhys was a great companion (If you try and claim Rhys isn't Gwen's companion, you are wrong), all the characters got interesting stories and development... sure, it was The X Files Except In Cardiff, but it all worked well and properly felt like "adult" Doctor Who. To The Last Man and Adrift are great episodes.

Children of Earth, I wasn't so keen on, but I can understand why everyone else really liked it.

And then there's Miracle Day, where it all goes off the rails. The situation is simultaneously over-the-top and boring, there are long stretches in the middle of the series where not a lot happens, and it breaks continuity with Doctor Who. It all felt a bit like it was trying to be too big but without understanding how to maintain that for ten episodes.

I do remember mention of a Torchwood book for the Doctor Who RPG; apparently it was a separate license, so it would need to be a separate corebook. But that's clearly never happened, and at this point.

I liked the first season but I agree with you on the second being stronger. I think Torchwood gets progressively more like 24 and less like X files form that point on. I think I prefer the first two seasons even though they are more corny.

I'm watching it after years of hearing people complain about it, so it has let me set my expectations accordingly, and I am enjoying it. I'd say most of the criticism of the show is accurate, but it isn't really bothering me.

It helps that I am watching it for a podcast that also discusses RPGs. It helped me immediately clue into the fact that while Torchwood feels completely unrealistic as a government agency, they are all too plausible as a role-playing party.

I've done all of the first season except for the last episode so far. "Countrycide" really was the standout. When I watch Doctor Who, the only unforgivable sin an episode can commit is boring me. Torchwood is doing pretty good by that standard. "Small Worlds" was one of the few where I was bored. It didn't make care what ended up happening, although I did like the subplot with Jack looking out for old lover.

The other low point so far has been "Combat", the Fight Club episode. Not only was it a tired ripoff, it is the point where Owen suddenly became insufferable. He's always been an arrogant ass, but he has been an entertaining arrogant ass. With Diane breaking his heart, he has just become pathetic.

I've been darkly entertained by Gwen's miserable attempts to balance her normal life with Torchwood. Watching her snogging game horribly backfire in Countrycide was another black comedy highlight of the season.

Looking forward to that.

I actually did watch this when it aired, and I liked it. Having watched some of the earlier show, I can see why a lot of fans of the show didn't like it. It feels nothing like what came before. It's like another show with the Torchwood name put on it and a couple of characters written in. It will be interesting to see it again in the context of the show.

I watched the first couple of episodes of this and quit. There were was nothing I was enjoying at all.

While I have said that Torchwood feels like a group of PCs in a lot of ways, it would be tricky to run. Facing new, unrelated threats every week can be rough on a GM.

I did enjoy the Sarah Jane Chronicles for what they were. It was obviously a kid show, but I found it tied in with the feeling and themes of the Russel era Who overall and the crossovers with the Doctor were fun.

I did enjoy the Sarah Jane Chronicles for what they were. It was obviously a kid show, but I found it tied in with the feeling and themes of the Russel era Who overall and the crossovers with the Doctor were fun.
I've never watched that, but I am curious to check it out sometime. I am deep in the middle of the classic Sarah Jane era now, so maybe I will do it when I reach the end.

Nu Who and related are mostly not to my taste. One of the things I really enjoyed about the old show was the complete lack of romantic tension.
Although, my friends and I do make a lot of jokes about Jamie and Zoe (who hold hands pretty constantly) sneaking back to the Tardis. I mean, danm, look at her!

Nu Who and related are mostly not to my taste. One of the things I really enjoyed about the old show was the complete lack of romantic tension.
Although, my friends and I do make a lot of jokes about Jamie and Zoe (who hold hands pretty constantly) sneaking back to the Tardis. I mean, danm, look at her!
While I like a lot of the new show, the old show is still my favorite over all. Having re-watched the first Baker series, there is more genuine science-fiction in that series than in all of the new show. For a show that get mocked about its special effects, there is a lot of evocative sets and costuming choices over those episodes. Maybe its because I grew up involved in theater, but I respect a lot of what they accomplish on the budget they have.

While I like a lot of the new show, the old show is still my favorite over all. Having re-watched the first Baker series, there is more genuine science-fiction in that series than in all of the new show. For a show that get mocked about its special effects, there is a lot of evocative sets and costuming choices over those episodes. Maybe its because I grew up involved in theater, but I respect a lot of what they accomplish on the budget they have.
I didn't do very much theatre, although I did some, but I did write and direct some short films, and I enjoy it for many of the same reasons.

Never seen a single episode — networks here have only picked it up in the last 7 or so years. Wonder if it's still on Netflix?

Never seen a single episode — networks here have only picked it up in the last 7 or so years. Wonder if it's still on Netflix?
Not in the US. Worth taking a look to see if you have it.

The new series is on Amazon Prime in the US.

I gotta say, I'm a bit of a Who nerd. Not so much for the books, comics and audio stuff. But a close look at my DVD collection can't help but draw attention to the sheer number of Who disks on my shelves.

Like, all the ones that are commercially available to this point. I'm waiting on the latest season to be a complete box set, rather than one of those annoying part 1 and part 2 vanilla collections.

Having binged on the classic stuff for a while, I'm currently nearing the end of David Tennant's tenure and getting a little nervous about carrying the run on into Moffat's era.

I gotta say, I'm a bit of a Who nerd. Not so much for the books, comics and audio stuff. But a close look at my DVD collection can't help but draw attention to the sheer number of Who disks on my shelves.

Like, all the ones that are commercially available to this point. I'm waiting on the latest season to be a complete box set, rather than one of those annoying part 1 and part 2 vanilla collections.

Having binged on the classic stuff for a while, I'm currently nearing the end of David Tennant's tenure and getting a little nervous about carrying the run on into Moffat's era.
Moffat vs. RTD is as bitter a fight among Nu Who fans as any battle over who is the best Doctor. I think both showrunners have their strengths and weaknesses. My advice on the Moffat seasons is to view it episode by episode. Don't get sucked into the seasonal arcs. A lot of those end up disappointing, but on an individual episode basis, there is a lot to like in the Moffat era. Capaldi is also one of the best Doctors ever, especially in his last season, which is also one of Moffat's best as a showrunner. Off the top of my head, I would say Moffat's first and last seasons were his best.

I never went past the black spot with 11.
I tried again with 12, but I barely made it through his first episode. The supporting cast, less Clara who I liked okay, wore on me pretty quickly.

Moffat vs. RTD is as bitter a fight among Nu Who fans as any battle over who is the best Doctor. I think both showrunners have their strengths and weaknesses. My advice on the Moffat seasons is to view it episode by episode. Don't get sucked into the seasonal arcs. A lot of those end up disappointing, but on an individual episode basis, there is a lot to like in the Moffat era. Capaldi is also one of the best Doctors ever, especially in his last season, which is also one of Moffat's best as a showrunner. Off the top of my head, I would say Moffat's first and last seasons were his best.
I watched it all as it was broadcast, too. I know exactly what I'm getting in to. As I said, nerd :smile:

These days, I'm starting to think that history will be less kind to Moffat than to Rusty in the long run. Certainly I'm noticing much harsher criticism of his writing than there every used to be. People are much less forgiving of his foibles than they used to be. And some of the things theyve said about Sherlock, especially in comparison to Who, have been outright savage.

Off the top of my head, I would say Moffat's first and last seasons were his best.

I think I'd agree with that. The Big Bang is a great episode that could only really be wrote about the Doctor, and 12's final series was great, even up to the final episode (I find a lot of Who finales to not be quite as good as the episodes building up to them). The Anniversary episode was good, too (I went to see it at the cinema; as a concession to cosplay, I wore my fez); An Adventure In Space And Time is well worth watching as well (Not a Who story, but a dramatisation of how the series came to be).

But right through the middle of Moffat's run, you've got Clara, and... well, the way her story went in her first series was really interesting. But then she... kept coming back. And there were plenty of opportunities for her to legitimately say "nope, I'm done" and walk away, but she didn't take them... and that pays off, kinda, but then it doesn't and nobody winds up learning anything at all.

Heaven Sent was a great episode, though.

Bill and Nardole and even Missy were great companions, and Capaldi was really getting into playing the Doctor. I think it's a shame we didn't get another season of him, but I guess it's better for him to leave us wanting more than to leave us wishing he'd already gone.

I think I'd agree with that. The Big Bang is a great episode that could only really be wrote about the Doctor, and 12's final series was great, even up to the final episode (I find a lot of Who finales to not be quite as good as the episodes building up to them). The Anniversary episode was good, too (I went to see it at the cinema; as a concession to cosplay, I wore my fez); An Adventure In Space And Time is well worth watching as well (Not a Who story, but a dramatisation of how the series came to be).

But right through the middle of Moffat's run, you've got Clara, and... well, the way her story went in her first series was really interesting. But then she... kept coming back. And there were plenty of opportunities for her to legitimately say "nope, I'm done" and walk away, but she didn't take them... and that pays off, kinda, but then it doesn't and nobody winds up learning anything at all.

Bill and Nardole and even Missy were great companions, and Capaldi was really getting into playing the Doctor. I think it's a shame we didn't get another season of him, but I guess it's better for him to leave us wanting more than to leave us wishing he'd already gone.
I'd argue that The Big Bang was Moffat saying to all the people who accused RTD of using a Deus ex Machina, "Russel never did that. This is how you do that particular device." And that the most recent series was notably bad. But then, I think Peter Capaldi was far, far better than the majority of the material he got given to work with.

The anniversary episode was a huge mess of wasted potential, capped by a planet disappearing and a whole fleet of ships all shooting each other in the crossfire. Like something out of Scooby Doo. That was a particularly cringe worthy moment for me. An Adventure in Space and Time was good, though. Even though that was written by Mark Gatiss and not Steven Moffat. Though The Five And A Half Doctors was, for me, the best 50th anniversary celebration.

As for Missy, I really don't have anything good to say about her and her "I'm proper bonkers I am" performance. Though Michelle Gomez and John Simm were possibly the best thing in this series finale.

I like all the new Doctors by the way, although the parade of comapnions has made Adric look cool upon occasion. Rose... And I'd have to say that I had enough speaches from 10 on the wonder of the hoooman species.
Waters of Mars had shit nonsensical needlessly dark ending too.
Gah!

Last edited:
I never went past the black spot with 11.
I tried again with 12, but I barely made it through his first episode. The supporting cast, less Clara who I liked okay, wore on me pretty quickly.

Oof. "The Curse of the Black Spot". I tend to give that as my least favorite episode of the new series. There are dumber episodes. There are more irritating episode. There are no episodes that bored me more than that one, and that is the worst sin a Doctor Who episode can commit. It isn't even fun to pick apart. I just remember the long struggle to stay awake through it. And it has the dumb trope where a character gives CPR for 10 seconds, gives up and weeps in despair, and then another 15 seconds later while sad music plays, and then the patient will miraculously sputter to life as the music swells. Man, do I hate that.

Okay. I admit there is one thing I can make fun of in that episode. That isn't enough to redeem it.

I watched it all as it was broadcast, too. I know exactly what I'm getting in to. As I said, nerd :smile:

I was a little unclear on on whether you had seen it before based on your comment. I figured if you didn't need the advice, someone else might read this thread and get something out of it. :smile:

These days, I'm starting to think that history will be less kind to Moffat than to Rusty in the long run. Certainly I'm noticing much harsher criticism of his writing than there every used to be. People are much less forgiving of his foibles than they used to be. And some of the things theyve said about Sherlock, especially in comparison to Who, have been outright savage.

Moffat is going to have one complicated legacy, and it hard to say where it will land. Two years ago, his legacy looked a lot bleaker, but he actually turned in a respectably solid season this year, and I mostly liked last year's run of two parters. The Extremis plot arc turned out to suck, but he stuck that in middle of the season, rather than at the end where he usually puts his worst plot.

One thing to consider is that taking the long view, Doctor Who tends to get judged by individual stories. And when people pick their favorites from the RTD era, there are a good number of Moffat episodes in there. I feel that Moffat probably would have been better off remaining a writer than a showrunner. For one thing, he has a very distinctive voice. That was great when he was doing one or two episodes a year, but became a little overbearing over the course of the season.

It's one reason I am happy with Chibnall as a choice. Is he the most amazing writer ever? No. But his episodes have a solid amount of variety, and I liked them well enough. Some people point to Torchwood as evidence he won't be good, but I don't think that is fair. It seems to me that the consensus is that the second season is much better than the first. The first season started as the work of RTD who suddenly realized he had taken too heavy a workload and tossed the project to Chibnall at the last minute. That means the second season is a fairer reflection of Chibnall's showrunning abilities.

I agree on all of those. And, if nothing else, I am impressed that Moffat managed to keep a cameo by Baker a secret in the Internet Age.

That finale really left me with a sour taste, which was a shame as there were a lot of good episodes that season. Like you say, it took all the consequences away. I also really hated the characterization of the Doctor. Compare that episode to "The Girl Who Waited" where the Doctor knew the door needed to slammed on that version Amy to preserve time. It was cold and cruel, but it was right. With "Hell Bent" we got the Doctor throwing a tantrum and willing to tear down time and space to keep one person alive (one person who was already immortalized with multiple copies throughout all of time and space, although Moffat seems to have forgotten that).

I was so irritated by that episode that I passed on the last Christmas episode, and I came very close to not watching this season, but Brendan's positive response to the first episode got me back on board thankfully.

It was.

Nardole took time to grow on me, but he was a genuinely great companion by the end of the season.

Last edited:
I like all the new Doctors by the way, although the parade of comapnions has made Adric look cool upon occasion. Rose...

I like first season Rose with Nine, but Rose and Ten really brought out the worst in each other.

Waters of Maes had shit nonsensical needlessly dark ending too.
Gah!
It is a real shame as that is close to a very good story. It just all rides on the idea that shooting herself in the head will be just as inspirational to her granddaughter as dying on Mars, and that doesn't hold up at all. It feels like it was one draft away from being amazing.

The anniversary episode was a huge mess of wasted potential, capped by a planet disappearing and a whole fleet of ships all shooting each other in the crossfire.

See, I thought that retroactively made the 9th Doctor better. His series starts only a few hours afterwards (We see the War Doctor start to regenerate, and in 9's first few scenes he's still not used to his appearance yet, so it can't be that long after). When he threatens the Daleks on Space Station 5, it's only a few months since he wiped out the Daleks and the Gallifreyans; and you can see the panic, the terror, at having to do it again... and knowing that it didn't work the first time, so why should it work this time? He'd be doing it forever after this, the sacrifice of Gallifrey would have been for nothing, as would the sacrifice of every other world that gets mixed up in the war in future. And if defeating out the Daleks means wiping out every lifeform in the universe, did they really lose?

So... coward, any day.

It's a complete asspull, as RTD didn't have the details of the Time War worked out at the time, so they couldn't have known. But it works, so much.

As for Missy, I really don't have anything good to say about her and her "I'm proper bonkers I am" performance. Though Michelle Gomez and John Simm were possibly the best thing in this series finale.

Missy grew on me a lot more this series, when she toned down the wackiness somewhat (A change from Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Neutral?).

It's one reason I am happy with Chibnall as a choice. Is he the most amazing writer ever? No. But his episodes have a solid amount of variety, and I liked them well enough. Some people point to Torchwood as evidence he won't be good, but I don't think that is fair. It seems to me that the consensus is that the second season is much better than the first. The first season started as the work of RTD who suddenly realized he had taken too heavy a workload and tossed the project to Chibnall at the last minute. That means the second season is a fairer reflection of Chibnall's showrunning abilities.

That's a really good point. And lots of people raved about Broadchurch (I haven't seen it) and the way it presented it's myseries.

although Moffat seems to have forgotten that

You could sum up most of his plotlines that way. :smile:

See, I thought that retroactively made the 9th Doctor better. His series starts only a few hours afterwards (We see the War Doctor start to regenerate, and in 9's first few scenes he's still not used to his appearance yet, so it can't be that long after). When he threatens the Daleks on Space Station 5, it's only a few months since he wiped out the Daleks and the Gallifreyans; and you can see the panic, the terror, at having to do it again... and knowing that it didn't work the first time, so why should it work this time? He'd be doing it forever after this, the sacrifice of Gallifrey would have been for nothing, as would the sacrifice of every other world that gets mixed up in the war in future. And if defeating out the Daleks means wiping out every lifeform in the universe, did they really lose?

So... coward, any day.

None of that is the problem. The problem is, the planet disappears and all the Dalek ships shoot each other! I mean, come on!

Wow, I go out of town for a couple of days, and this thread explodes! :grin:

I'm definitely a fan of both the classic series and the new one, and I have trouble even comparing them. They're such different beasts that it's hard for me to know what standards I would use for a comparison, other than obvious things such as special effects. Having said that, a greater familiarity with the classic series has really heightened my appreciation of the new one. Sometimes it's just a matter of catching a reference, but often, it's being better able to put the new Doctor's actions into a larger context.

The spinoff shows were fun enough, but they don't inspire me to rewatch them the same was DW itself does. SJA was obviously meant as a show for younger viewers, but it still manages to capture the charm of DW most of the time. TW was a bit too dark for me, but it certainly had its moments. I even watched the old pilot for that K9 / Sarah Jane show ... *shudder* ...

I'm a big Moffat fan, and I think the last few seasons were far better than they are typically judged, but I also see where a lot of the criticism comes from. I'm very fond of Capaldi, and sorry to see him go, but I also think it's time for something new, so I'm looking forward to the new Doctor and showrunner. Now it's all about the waiting ...

All right, let's rate the Doctors. For me:

2 > everyone else. :smile: Patrick Troughton is and always will be my favorite!

After that, though, I'd say that I can't really compare classic Doctors with NuWho Doctors; they're just such different shows. So within those categories, I'd say ...

Classic: 2 > 7 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 6 > 8

NuWho: 12 >= 11 > 9 > 10

How about you?

2 3 1 4 6 5 7( I hate 7)
I can't really rate nu who. I liked the 2 parter with the Silurians and the War Doctor, though. 10 is like 4, in that he overstayed his welcome.

2 3 1 4 6 5 7( I hate 7)
I can't really rate nu who. I liked the 2 parter with the Silurians and the War Doctor, though. 10 is like 4, in that he overstayed his welcome.
How do you feel about 8? I know: he's not really classic Who or NuWho ...

I'm not sure I like the idea of rating the Doctors. I mean, Hartnell was awesome. Troughton set the benchmark for all those who came after. Pertwee redifined the role for the colour TV era. Tom Baker owned it to the point where 'long scarf, floppy hat' is the image the not-we have of Doctor Who. Peter Davison brought an energy and a treatment of the art as a character, rather than a personality. Colin Baker did well with the drek he was given to wear and the lazy scripts he had. Sylvester McCoy brough out a darkness and an impishness that is deeply under rated. Paul McGann didn't get a fair chance thanks to being scheduled really badly in the US.

And then there's the modern era. Which is 12 years old now, so it's not exactly fair or reasonable to call it new.

I'm generally not into numerically ranking the Doctors, but it can be a good conversation starter that leads to more nuanced discussion.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back