Hard limit expertise mechanism

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

rumble

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been done before, but I had a little spark thinking of White Hack and armor.

Has any game explored a face-swap mechanism for dice results to keep numerical limits in place? Specific examples are probably best to illustrate this since I can't come up with simple language right now.

Rolling 2d6 gives you a outcome from 2-12.
If you add +1, you get outcomes from 3-13. You've left the range intact, but changed the lower and upper limits.
Instead, you count all 5s to 6s.
This keeps the limits as 2-12, but the chance that you roll generally higher values increases. Your actually range goes from 2-10 and 12 since you can no longer roll an 11.
If you keep doing this for 4s, 3s and 2s, you are basically left with a range of 2,7,12.

Who cares, and why would you want such a nightmarish manipulation of dice?
I'm toying with how one might reflect increasing expertise over time, retaining the possibility of failure and "average" performance, but dramatically showing how an expert can consistently outclass an amateur.

Tie breaks would go in order of the wider range of face swaps (more expertise), followed by the highest dice actually rolled (before swaps).

Last edited:
As there are only 2 dice, the degree of complication it adds seems minimal. Also gives you the ability for two kinds of modifiers, those that add to the die up to max of 6 and those that add to the total.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back