Star Trek Modiphius 2nd Ed Quickstarter

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The only other big thing that has jumped out at me as having changed from 1e is the Disciplines have been renamed to Departments.

Probably a good change, as it's slightly more intuitive given the source material. At least for me it makes more sense to ask the question "what Department does this relate to?" rather than "what Discipline does this relate to?" even though they're the exact same question. It also matches how Starships are.

As for the challenge dice for weapon damage, it looks like the general rule is the new damage Severity is equal to the old damage in base Challenge Dice + 1. And the Security Discipline/Department no longer adds in.

Starship torpedo weapons seem to follow the same rule. They use the old base damage rating + 1 without the Security Dicipline/Department added in.

Energy weapons are probably the same general rule and are calculated as Scale + 1. The Challenger has phasers that do 6, which matches. (Scale 4 + 1 + an additional 1 for the phasers being banked = 6)

As for Extended Tasks' reliance on Challenge Dice, the quickstart doesn't seem to provide any equivalent, but I'd imagine the new rules simply eliminate the challenge dice aspect and have a stress tracker represent number of turns with modification based on threat and complication. It would likely look very much like a single participant version of the Extended Conflict rules in Captain's Log.

Thematically, I can see some merit in naming the Talents and Traits like that. But there does come a point where it all becomes too needlessly self referential and even jargony when it doesn't need to. You shouldn't have to decipher a Tamarian-like language just to understand what the Talents and Traits are.

Incidentally, the Faith of the Heart seems to be a nerfed version of the old Trait Spirit of Discovery which allowed the Human to spend a Determination to add 3 Momentum Points to the group pool. This new version only adds 1 Momentum to the pool.

Thematically, I can see some merit in naming the Talents and Traits like that. But there does come a point where it all becomes too needlessly self referential and even jargony when it doesn't need to. You shouldn't have to decipher a Tamarian-like language just to understand what the Talents and Traits are.

Incidentally, the Faith of the Heart seems to be a nerfed version of the old Trait Spirit of Discovery which allowed the Human to spend a Determination to add 3 Momentum Points to the group pool. This new version only adds 1 Momentum to the pool.
Agree strongly. I'll add this is my problem as well with any of the Fantasy Flight specialty dice rpgs, PbtA rpgs, Cypher based rpgs to an lesser extent and others which make you have to do this in order to play their rpgs.

The only other big thing that has jumped out at me as having changed from 1e is the Disciplines have been renamed to Departments.

Probably a good change, as it's slightly more intuitive given the source material. At least for me it makes more sense to ask the question "what Department does this relate to?" rather than "what Discipline does this relate to?" even though they're the exact same question. It also matches how Starships are.
I get that, but not every game is about a Starfleet crew. "Departments" might seem a bit bland for a crew of Klingons or Orion Pirates.

It's only a small thing anyway.

Gygax and Arneson, at Gen Con.

T.S.R., when the walls fell.

Does anyone already have that Klingon War book?

If so, does it need the Discovery book to be usable?

I recently broke down and finally started trying to watch Discovery. I'm two episodes in right now. It's kind of just meh. Not bad. Not good. Just sort of there. The acting is pretty bad. Then again all the Klingon actors are forced to read everything in Klingon and the lead of the show is supposed to be Vulcan schooled, so I try to cut it some slack for that. But it's still pretty bad.

The look of things outside the Klingon stuff is pretty good. I mean, even the Klingons would be OK if it was made clear that this was some offshoot possibly neanderthal-like group with their own ship designs.

But I'm getting off track... Is the Discovery book any good? What does it cover? I recall it was released pretty early on in Discovery's run, so I'm not expecting it to cover much other than maybe up to the second season?

I did manage to get into Lower Decks. I managed to turn my brain off to just enjoy the in-jokes, and I genuinely started to like the characters. Of course, right as that happened I read that the next season will be the last. But so far I've watched up through Season 4.

I've seen people saying the Lower Decks book is pretty good. What particularly does it cover? I wouldn't want to use it for Lower Decks themed comedic adventures, but I can potentially see it having cool stuff in it. Even if I know it was released too early to contain stats for the dreaded Moopsy.

Does anyone already have that Klingon War book?

If so, does it need the Discovery book to be usable?

I recently broke down and finally started trying to watch Discovery. I'm two episodes in right now. It's kind of just meh. Not bad. Not good. Just sort of there. The acting is pretty bad. Then again all the Klingon actors are forced to read everything in Klingon and the lead of the show is supposed to be Vulcan schooled, so I try to cut it some slack for that. But it's still pretty bad.

The look of things outside the Klingon stuff is pretty good. I mean, even the Klingons would be OK if it was made clear that this was some offshoot possibly neanderthal-like group with their own ship designs.

But I'm getting off track... Is the Discovery book any good? What does it cover? I recall it was released pretty early on in Discovery's run, so I'm not expecting it to cover much other than maybe up to the second season?

I did manage to get into Lower Decks. I managed to turn my brain off to just enjoy the in-jokes, and I genuinely started to like the characters. Of course, right as that happened I read that the next season will be the last. But so far I've watched up through Season 4.

I've seen people saying the Lower Decks book is pretty good. What particularly does it cover? I wouldn't want to use it for Lower Decks themed comedic adventures, but I can potentially see it having cool stuff in it. Even if I know it was released too early to contain stats for the dreaded Moopsy.
Both the Klingon War book and the Lower Decks campaign guide are very useful for other campaigns. They contain information that add to the general databank of useful information that can be used anywhere. I did reviews on both books on my blog.

And Modiphius provided the stats for the dreaded Moopsy on their blog: https://www.modiphius.net/blogs/news/moopsy

I see the series Lower Decks as a love letter to all of Star Trek. After I get done watching a new episode, I'd go to YouTube on my TV and pull up several review shows such as TrekCulture and others that talk about the episode and note all of the easter eggs. Some episodes had a TON of connections. I did a re-watch of Discovery just before the new season started. The first season is a bit rough (as all Star Trek series are) but IMHO it has improved with each season and added to the Trek lore. The second season is very good at introducing the new Pike, Spock and Number One that later show up in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (which has also knocked it out of the park).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back