Suggestion: stop allowing FB and G+ for logins

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Arminius

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Facebook: https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/28/technology/facebook-breach-50-million/index.html

"The attackers would have also been able to access third-party services or sites accessed with a Facebook login"

G+, well, that's been in the news very recently, and although the vulnerability there is reported only to have made it possible for hackers to view private information, as opposed to leveraging Google authentication, it's still not very encouraging.

I suggest RPG Pub go back to depending purely on its own authentication database as Crom intended.

That is a good idea, but there's one huge problem: Laziness. Like it or not, forums have been dying off the past several years because of social media. I'm on a very large forum for forum administrators, and one of the points raised there is that social media logins are actually helping to save forums from dying off even faster.

Why?

Because people are lazy. "Everyone" already has a Facebook/Google/Twitter/Snapsomething account. They don't want to take the two minutes to make yet another account. If your forum doesn't have the ability to log in via Facebook/Google/Twitter/Snapsomething, then odds are people will just move on.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that social media logins are a terrible idea, security wise. So are smart TVs, smart speakers, smart toilets, smart lightbulbs, etc. But they sell, and sell well. Why? Convenience. Convenience trumps security every time. It's cool, it works right now, and who cares if we'll all pay for it dearly later?

I agree in principle but I think accessibilty is important and whether or not to use FB or Google can be left up to the individual.

Anyone for just saying fuck the lazy people? I mean the goal here isn't revenue or mass appeal. It's for a cool place to hang out with cool people. If a login is that big a barrier I'm not sure you're my kinda people.

Anyone for just saying fuck the lazy people? I mean the goal here isn't revenue or mass appeal. It's for a cool place to hang out with cool people. If a login is that big a barrier I'm not sure you're my kinda people.
I'm entirely the other way around; I'd rather have as few barriers as possible to being able to communicate with someone new. Their conversational value isn't increased because they filled out a signup form.

I sign in here using my Facebook account.

I'm entirely the other way around; I'd rather have as few barriers as possible to being able to communicate with someone new. Their conversational value isn't increased because they filled out a signup form.
I agree with both of you. Erm ...

I don’t want this place to seem like it’s behind any kind of walls, real or virtual. I might not like Facebook too much, but I think it’s great that you can use it to sign in here. I always want new members to sign up and bring differences of opinion, lest this turn into a fairly large circle-jerk if no new blood keeps coming in. I’ve seen insular forums wither and die. It’s not a pretty picture.

I'm being lazy and using a Facebook login so I'd appreciate a heads up if you're going to change it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back