[Supers] Fiction to System

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Nexus

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
There are numerous supers rpgs with distinctive flavors and styles, and can generate some very different play experiences. I wanted to ask which systems/mechanics do you think would be best creating a game based some supers settings and franchises. For fun and to get an idea of preferences and what people see in various systems.

Now some supers games (Champions, Mutant and Masterminds, for example) are designed to be modular and adjustable so may fit allot of setting and any game can be tinkered with to some degree, but what systems do you think the least modification to work. In the case of setting/franchises that have their own rpg already, pretend it doesn't exist and you're looking for something to handle.

Here's some suggested settings, feel free to add your own.

The Boys (HBO series)

Aberrant

Heroes

Alphas

Cinematic Marvel Universe

Cinematic DC Universe

Wildcats

Wild Cards

Last edited:
Here's some suggested settings, feel free to add your own.

The Boys (HBO series)

Aberrant

Heroes

Alphas

Wildcats

Wild Cards

I was going to mention that MCU is listed twice, then a realised it was obviously intentional. The MCU deserves to be listed twice.

This might sound strange but I’m not so sure the MCU would be best served by MSH. Just like I’m not sure something like the Nolan Batman trilogy would be best served by DCH.

This might sound strange but I’m not so sure the MCU would be best served by MSH. Just like I’m not sure something like the Nolan Batman trilogy would be best served by DCH.

I get what you're saying, but ultimately, any Marvel game I ran would default to Bronze Age assumptions anyways, even if it started from a MCU continuity baseline.

TristramEvans TristramEvans Alphas was a TV series mixing conspiracy with regular people discovering superpowers, so in the vein of Heroes or The 1440. It was a good a series. I quite liked it.

Fun fact, Alphas was set in the same unvierse as Warehouse 13 and A Town Called Eureka and there were some minor crossovers.

Alphas was a TV series mixing conspiracy with regular people discovering superpowers, so in the vein of Heroes or The 1440. It was a good a series. I quite liked it.

I also enjoyed it quite a bit, and was therefore pretty annoyed that it ended on an unresolved cliffhanger.

You make me sad.

Ah, in the 90s I was all up on the current TV and everything enterttainment, but those days are long gone. I haven't even owned a TV in years, and it's been even longer than that since I had Cable. These days I'm generally, by choice, very late to the party to any television show, and even then, I don't watch most of them. I used to feel like I was missing out, but the older I get, the less that bothers me. There i simply too much to conume, and admittedly TV on the whole is of a way higher quality these days, so I'm probably unaware of tons of really good stuff.

The Boys (HBO series) - While I try not to speak poorly other creators, I'm going to say none. The source comic was enough to get me to walk away from the author. This also caused me to take a more critical eye to his previous works and realize it's not just the boys but they have a pattern in their writing that is ultimately predictable and disappointing.

Aberrant - Stick with Aberrant.

Heroes - Amp: Year One (Someone else said this and I have to agree.) Will also add Misfits to this one as well.

Alphas - Couple of options here, depending on the tone you want to strike, Champions can swing from four color to something grittier based on optional rules.

Cinematic Marvel Universe - To stick in universe, I'll go Marvel Heroic on this one.

Cinematic DC Universe - While I want to say DC Heroes, I also want to say GURPS supers for the darker stories. Maybe Champions for Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam?

Wildcats - Didn't read a lot of these comics, so it's hard to say.

Wild Cards - Super Worlds. :wink:

Edit: Removed closing comments.

Last edited:
Ah, in the 90s I was all up on the current TV and everything enterttainment, but those days are long gone. I haven't even owned a TV in years, and it's been even longer than that since I had Cable. These days I'm generally, by choice, very late to the party to any television show, and even then, I don't watch most of them. I used to feel like I was missing out, but the older I get, the less that bothers me. There i simply too much to conume, and admittedly TV on the whole is of a way higher quality these days, so I'm probably unaware of tons of really good stuff.

I have a very mentally exhuasting job and often look for mentally untaxing ways to spend my downtime, so I end up doing the opposite... I wind up watching like, everything (or at least trying most everything). Though I don't watch live tv, I just watch tons and tons of Netflix/Hulu/Prime. And man, modern television is the golden age for people who like the medium.

Alphas was pretty good, it was from like 2010ish or so?

The Boys (HBO series) - While I try not to speak poorly other creators, I'm going to say none. The source comic was enough to get me to walk away from the author. This also caused me to take a more critical eye to his previous works and realize it's not just the boys but they have a pattern in their writing that is ultimately predictable and disappointing.

Garth Ennis has NEVER shied from the fact that he hates Superheroes and has been vocal about it. But he writes them, constantly. He and his ilk is a sore point for me.

Aberrant - Stick with Aberrant.

Yeah, that's a given.

Heroes - Amp: Year One (Someone else said this and I have to agree.) Will also add Misfits to this one as well.

This is a good choice.

Alphas - Couple of options here, depending on the tone you want to strike, Champions can swing from four color to something grittier based on optional rules.

Never heard of this one.

Cinematic Marvel Universe - To stick in universe, I'll go Marvel Heroic on this one.

I'd go with FASERIP, maybe tweak the Karma rules, but other than that, it's functional.

Cinematic DC Universe - While I want to say DC Heroes, I also want to say GURPS supers for the darker stories. Maybe Champions for Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam?

I'm biased, but I'd say M&M 3e.

Wildcats - Didn't read a lot of these comics, so it's hard to say.

It was more Iron Age style, so military/corporation style 'heroes', but otherwise it was traditional supers. You can do it with Champions/M&M/GURPS.

Wild Cards - Super Worlds. :wink:

I never actually read the books. I think. It's been so long.

Garth Ennis has NEVER shied from the fact that he hates Superheroes and has been vocal about it. But he writes them, constantly. He and his ilk is a sore point for me.

My issue with him is not his distaste for superheroes, but rather the misogyny, homophobia, and kink shaming that tends to crop up in his work. This last one could really be taken as anyone that doesn't fit his mold of normal. Now, I know a lot of people like his work, but I had to tap out after the Blarney Cock gag.

Let's see, as I do a lot of superhero stuff:
The Boys (HBO series)
Wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole attached to an RPG. Despise that kind of writing and mess. The guy who writes it trash. Worse than some REALLY horrific writers in the media. I wish we could ditch them all. Except for Warren Ellis, who I disagree with but sometimes take just the RIGHT angle on things to make them work.

Aberrant

Aberrant. It's a solid system.

Heroes
Amp Year 1, or Gurps Supers with lower than standard "superpowers" level of points. Though even AMP Y1 can get crazy powerful.

Alphas
Gurps. Definitely.

MSH, Karma tweaked a bit. (Or Hearts & Souls) Since they actually manage to do heroic, edge a little bit in, and still maintain the feel of the Marvel U.

Cinematic DC Universe
Cartoon versions, I'd use Icons (JLA/JLU/Batman Animated/Batman Beyond/Superman Animated and the rest of the not rated R stuff.)
Rated R Stuff: DC Heroes MEGS
Live-Action: Considering there are only two movies (so far worth considering? Aquaman/Wonder Woman) M&M.

Wildcats
M&M or V&V Possibly Heroes Unlimited. (Lots of guns, cybernetic, but only works if you start at higher than level 1 characters)

Wild Cards
Having read the majority of the books at one time (up to the one just after the "game" show book), before I realized Martin was never one to let a happy ending last and gave up. I'd say ignore it for much better source material, but if you had to--ignore its already written up books (Gurps/M&M) both get things very wrong. Use the original inspiration Superworld.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back