YODuC Story Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Valdus

Lord Protector of the Red Box
Reaction score
If not the wind, then the dust, rushing passed a bleak gray sky where a dusted sun pours heat but never really shows itself. Yet the adventurers pushed onward always to the southwest as towns turned to villages, turned to abandoned ruins and dunes of forgotten sand.

The name of Maldoom, person, place or thing unknown, pushed them ever forward until rumor turned into nothing but memory. Hidden away were pockets of humanity, but many of them to be avoided better than anything else alive.

Yet words, dire ones kept cropping up...
Litters of forgotten armor and weapons.
Abandoned campfires with smears of ash, clawed deep into the ground.
Talk of crabs, invasions, a season of plague- like locusts.
The Lord Protector of Desolation
Ragged Tents
Ghost towns with massive holes in the ground.

The path became thinner and thinner until no path at all was the norm. Yet from different paths then one, then none. That no path drew the three together, and perhaps more would join them. Who was to know.
The only bond they appeared to have was that one name- Maldoom. Pointed by dozens of fingers and tales onward to this no-path.

Despite the appearance of being strangers, did these travelers, know one another?
What had the heard of this Maldoom?
One mirage of shadows appeared to be heading toward them?
And what was kicking up dust to the north, as if a stampede rumbled past?

Last edited:
The Rambler ambles along the nonpath. Does that make him a pathfinder? A trailblazer? He hopes he's not lost. That would be really embarassing. He made a promise to a dying woman that he didn't really understand. "Find Maldoom" she said. Well he just might be close to finding it. Then what?

The Rambler mentally changes the subject in his own head. "Hey Skaldi, do you really think this is going to make us rich and famous?"

"Rich and famous? Fucked if I know. Right now I'd settle for less sand between my ass cheeks," grumbles Skaldi, shaking the dust out of his hood for what seems like the thousandth time in the last hour. He raises his eyes to the horizon and the dust cloud. "Mmmm. We should maybe get somewhere defensible if that dust cloud turns our way," he continues, looking around for a likely place.

"The sand reminds me of home. " Kahotep sighs. The others know the story to well. He can't go back after being kicked out of the Madrasat alsihar for trying to access forbidden rituals. He follows his companions less concerned about the sand but prepared. "Ration you water. Always think of where to find and when to drink. We should travel in the shoulders of the day." He adds without thinking. Finally he realizes he hasn't answered the question and adds "I don't care for wealth but yes I will be the most famous mage in the land one day. This is one step in the path."

Skaldi chuckles, "Perhaps we could find a path with more naked virgins and less bloody dust, eh? Unless you've a fancy incantation to ward it off of course..." Skaldi laughs again, but doesn't wait for answer. "No?, thought not. One foot in front of the other it is then."

There just beyond to the northwest appeared shadows, structured with shadows. It appeared closer than the darkness approaching, an oasis or a threat no one knew. But perhaps better than the wide open plans filled with the dust and cough of the desert.

In the past, ghost town appeared here and there. Long abandoned refuges that offered shelter and also so many threats in the past. For those towns drew the good, the bad and a lot of ugly into their folds.

But a tavern is a tavern no?

"Shall we make for that unidentified blob of shadows yonder?" says Skaldi, "It's probably something more defensible than this open path we're on..."

Last edited:
"Yes. Always good to know if there's a safe place to retreat to if a storm comes." Kahotep answers

"C'mon Rambler, let's shift our asses before the badness gets here," says Skaldi, gesturing vaguely to both the possible safety and shadowy threat.

Stan Stan

"Shadows for shadowy adventures on a shadowed quest? It sounds alright to me."

Rambler follows the other two towards the collection of shadows.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back