Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So...did this ever come to fruition?

Yeah, there's a second KS planned, but it's been pushed back due to Covid-related issues with manufacturers.

I uh kinda lost interest once I found out they were jst doing straight action figures without the insect hand puppets.

Pretty sure I have the comics from Marvel; I think they came in one of those bagged sets of three comics you used to be able to get at drugstores and the precursors to Target-type stores. We used to try to bend the bag enough to see what the middle comic was, but it seldom worked so often there was a surprise. Discovered a lot of good comics that way. I remember distinctly it was my first exposure to Alpha Flight; I got the following:
View attachment 363 View attachment 364 View attachment 365
Puck, Northstar, and Aurora became my favorites. What a great comic that was for a while.

The first two are great covers.

From what I've read and listened to there seem to be a lot of OOC/meta mechanics, referred to as"cinematics", and the luck point economy where you gain luck by failing. Not sure if this is something that would work for me and the people I would run this for.

This being WoD related, I also dread the quality and amount of game fiction that may be in the book. Though I have not seen any indication of this.

Also, shipping for the physical book is rather ridiculous. I could go POD, but I'd prefer a proper physical book, so if I decide to pick this up, I'll probably have to wait for it to turn up in regular retail.

Is anyone here actually considering jumping in?

From what I've read and listened to there seem to be a lot of OOC/meta mechanics, referred to as"cinematics", and the luck point economy where you gain luck by failing. Not sure if this is something that would work for me and the people I would run this for.

This being WoD related, I also dread the quality and amount of game fiction that may be in the book. Though I have not seen any indication of this.

Also, shipping for the physical book is rather ridiculous. I could go POD, but I'd prefer a proper physical book, so if I decide to pick this up, I'll probably have to wait for it to turn up in regular retail.

I'm interested in the idea, but unfortunately (or fortunately from my bank accounts perspective) I'm not seeing anything to suggest I'd actually enjoy this particular attempt at it.

I'm actually already in. I liked the idea of they came from beneath the sea, and the rules looked pretty solid (went in at the $1 level on that to get the text manuscript), but I didn't like the genre. This one is more up my alley as a concept.

Last edited:
Endless Flight Endless Flight I got some other projects in the queue that would be greatly helped by extra funds like the Wild North. So yeah a million dollar. Or more likely whatever the more realistic ballpark figure that will pop out of the various tracker sites in a week or so.

Suzerain is a meta-setting for the Savage Worlds Adventure Edtion game-system, the universe is built up of many mortal realms and even god realms beyond the Veil within the Maelstrom!

A major point of the Suzerain universe is that your characters can travel through many realms, through time, space and beyond! Continue your legend, become a demi-god, bring the hope, be the hero. Our Kickstarter comes September 6th.

The Legends Awaken initiative is how we empower our players to directly affect the grand lore of the Suzerain universe.

FREE Legends Awaken initiative Update:

FREE Core Primer:

We have a mailing list for major news about our upcoming Kickstarter and FREE adventure, a Discord where we discuss the setting and games, YouTube where we upload guides, and a Facebook / Twitter / Instagram where we post a lot of fun social stuff!

Attached -- Areana, the face for the Kickstarter. A rad Awakened heroine who we'll be using to show the endless possibilities for you, your characters, and your games!

Attachments

• join our mailing list!(1).png
    join our mailing list!(1).png
    780 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to the Pub, C-Moon C-Moon!

Is there a plan to update the existing Suzerain books to SWADE, or is this Kickstarter going to replace them?

The new book coming with the Kickstarter will be updating the Suzerain universe to SWADE, yes. Most of what already exists are easily transferable though if there is enough demand, I'm sure we'd be able to provide tools for players to do so for pre-existing content. The new book is an expansion on the lore that already exists, just updated to the newer system.

I am not familiar with any of this. Can somebody fill me in in a few sentences?
(robertsconley = good) => fund project

More seriously the system seems like a nicely thought out extension to older D&D with a minimal skill system and some new classes. The setting from what I've read strikes me as a fun approachable Harn in feel. There's also a guide to making rulings, which I'm personally very interested in. Obviously Robert will have more.

I am not familiar with any of this. Can somebody fill me in in a few sentences?
Sure

The kickstarter is about two things

1) A set of rules compatible with the classic editions that I developed and played over the past decade that I found useful for my campaign. Campaigns that focused mostly on the players being able to "trash" my setting by making their mark on the world. Sometimes as king, sometimes more modest like building a crossroads inn.

2) A set of quick reference cards for my rules that are based on the classic editions, that I found allows a player to quickly generate a character with equipment in 15 to 20 minutes. I ran a series of convention and game store sessions to playtest my adventures. I wanted players to experience generation their own characters. These cards is what made it possible.

I am lucky in that I can do the writing, do the layout, and draw the maps. But I need to acquire art, and hire an editor in order to publish. This project represents an increased word count over what I normally do hence the kickstarter.

Table of Contents

An older version of the rules for the players.

Finally Blackmarsh a free setting (in both sense of the word)

(robertsconley = good) => fund project
Appreciate the compliment.

There's also a guide to making rulings, which I'm personally very interested in.
This gives me an opportunity to point out that the draft of the rules is immediately available when you back the kickstarter.

So you don't have to wait to read what I have to say on the topic. :-)

As an overview for everybody else, many are familiar with the idea of rulings not rules, while Matt Finch gives some examples in the Old School Primer, the nuts and bolts of making a classic ruling can use further explanation.

In my Majestic Fantasy rules, I break it down by explaining the various mechanics and how I used them build the rulings I make. For example what if a player want their character to knock the unholy chalice from the villain's hand?* It focuses more on why I make the rulings I do rather then being a list of circumstances and how I would rule like below.

*I would have the player make a to-hit roll and if they hit then the target gets to make a saving throw. If they fail the chalice is knocked out of their hand. This can be modified based on the actual plan and circumstance to give advantage or disadvantage to either the to-hit roll or the saving throw. For example a plan that involves two players working together, may result in the saving throw to hold the chalice being made with disadvantage.

I backed your project Shaintar: Legends Unleashed on Kickstarter, and was very frustrated by the delays and the process of fulfillment. Have you learned anything from that project? Is this already written?

I backed your project Shaintar: Legends Unleashed on Kickstarter, and was very frustrated by the delays and the process of fulfillment. Have you learned anything from that project? Is this already written?

Worth noting that was a co-production with Sean Fannon's Evil Beagle, and he was the primary writer/developer on that (until his wife took over). By his own admission, the slow trickle was coming from Evil Beagle and not so much Savage Mojo. Didn't help that Fannon was developing Savage Rifts at the same time, either.

Backed. I am enjoying my current campaign of S&W and will enjoy seeing what robertsconley has done with it. I already love the concept of the character generation cards.

Backed. I am enjoying my current campaign of S&W and will enjoy seeing what robertsconley has done with it. I already love the concept of the character generation cards.
The nice about the idea, once I get this first set out. I can make new sets for specific systems that have open content.

I think the print on the demand economics are going to be borderline for a while. But the result is very slick and durable.

You don't anything fancy for the PDF other than some card stock for your printer at home. And you can even use regular paper but I found it easier to manage with the stiffness of cardstock.

Backed. Is there anywhere we can find a summary on the Age of Dusk setting?
I'm having Prince put up some links for some background info in the update section. He has a bunch of info on his blog as well--https://princeofnothingblogs.wordpress.com/
But probably easier to check the updates in a bit and get the links.
And thanks for your support Brock!

Backed. Is there anywhere we can find a summary on the Age of Dusk setting?

Thank you immensely. I'll make a better overview on my blog but I'll try to summarize it here.

Primer.

Timeline:
I
II
III

Some sample posts:
Three-and-Twenty-Seven
Religion
Some magic items
Demons of Stone

And then it sort of keeps descending deeper and deeper into outright lunacy, existing partially in blog posts, partially in notes. Sword & Sorcery, bizarre and terrifying horror, no elves, dead gods, opulent monstrosities and aeons of time so deep that the holes can contain entire campaign settings.

Wow, I backed the KS for Folk Magic of the Haven Isles (quirky magic book for The Midderlands setting) about 2 or 3 weeks ago and the books are already printed, in the hands of the creators, and should be sent out in the next week! That's the fastest turnaround of any Kickstarter I've backed, by some margin too, and I've backed quite a lot.

Glynn has a new KS up for a Midderlands adventure.

Chewer of Fingers, via @Kickstarter

I backed your project Shaintar: Legends Unleashed on Kickstarter, and was very frustrated by the delays and the process of fulfilment. Have you learned anything from that project? Is this already written?

Sorry for the delayed reply, Shaintar: Legends Unleashed was before my time, so I had to do my research.

As Tommy says, the delays on Shaintar were with Evil Beagle and just as frustrating to us at Savage Mojo as for you. The biggest thing we learned is to control your own product development and don't ruin other people's Kickstarters for them!

For the new Kickstarter, this is all our own work, and the book is done. We're updating it with more material, but we'll be ready to rock and roll. In fact, you can download the PDF from DriveThruRPG right now.

I am a long time fan of the Harn fantasy setting from both Columbia Games and Kelestia. One the things that made Harn great was the art. First by Eric Hotz in the 80s and early 90s. And now Richard Luschek since the late 90s.

He has a strong b/w style as well as doing excellent color illustrations. I am pleased to announce that he agreed to do four pieces for the cover for the Basic Rules for the Majestic Fantasy RPG.

He also has a blog where he talks about how he draws and his techniques. One interesting aspect is that he uses the 3D CAD Sketch Up to build up buildings on the local area Harn maps to use as a model for landscape illustrations in various harn products. You can see this in his post on drawing some the illustrations for Lorkin Castle.

The Basic Rules for the Majestic Fantasy RPG Cover

I use a stylized cover where the front has three hexes and the back has a single larger image. I like to use this arrangement to tell a small story related to the content of the product. For the basic rules this story will be focusing on adventuring.

This starts with two individual adventurers dealing with the dungeon while focused on the treasure to the right. The back image showing the entire group working together to win the treasure.

I am pleased to have Richard on board for this project and hope you enjoy his work as much as I do.

As Tommy says, the delays on Shaintar were with Evil Beagle and just as frustrating to us at Savage Mojo as for you. The biggest thing we learned is to control your own product development and don't ruin other people's Kickstarters for them!

For the new Kickstarter, this is all our own work, and the book is done. We're updating it with more material, but we'll be ready to rock and roll. In fact, you can download the PDF from DriveThruRPG right now.

Thanks for the reply! It does put things in a different perspective that the writing is done, and I thank you for that detail.

Nice, I think having an artist really pays off in terms of flavour, I really like the work I see on the blog.
Yeah, I got a large collection of stock art from artist I really like. But there are times when you need it done right for how you want things to be. But you need to pay for that hence one reason for this kickstarter.

Thanks for the reply! It does put things in a different perspective that the writing is done, and I thank you for that detail.

No worries at all! It's what I'm here for. I'm new to Suzerain both as a team member as a player, I'm here to support the community. So I'm more than happy to work on our issues, after all that's the only way we get better!

Plus really helps me learn everything with the community so I can connect with everyone on those issues. It was a fair and just point and I'm glad we covered it!

I'm not familiar with Harn. How would you describe the Majestic Fantasy setting(s)?

I'm not familiar with Harn. How would you describe the Majestic Fantasy setting(s)?
High fantasy version of Game of Thrones where you get to "trash" the setting as a player. Except I was doing it way before Martin put pen to paper and without an impending zombie apocalypse. However different regions of the setting have this in different doses.

This kickstarter is about a set of rules to make it work for the classic editions in the form of Swords & Wizardry. Not only I will be releasing setting material like the upcoming Wild North but additional rule supplements that flesh this out at the character and referee level. I also written them in a way that support kitbashing sections with one's favorite classic edition system.

You can get a sense of it from the stuff I posted on the Stuff in the Attic page on my blog. Specifically the first item on the list an earlier version of the rules for players. I have one region free to use and download called Blackmarsh.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back