Moderation Issues

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be the tiniest bit more specific, he seemed annoyed that he couldn’t put Tristram on ignore, on account of him being a mod.
Another reason why something like a ModBot account might be a good idea. It separates the person from the job. Someone could ignore the moderator poster but not the ModBot.

My name actually is OTH (pronounced oh-tee-aitch). Not a lot of people know that. :grin:

I’m not faulting or criticizing anyone for any screen names they use, just pointing out that I was an irritable little shit when I was using one that wasn’t my own.

To be the tiniest bit more specific, he seemed annoyed that he couldn’t put Tristram on ignore, on account of him being a mod.

I can understand that. What I'm not sure is if that's policy or software limitations. If the former, I think that should be changed. The latter, not really anything that can be done. (And as has been pointed out modbot would sort it).

Another reason why something like a ModBot account might be a good idea. It separates the person from the job. Someone could ignore the moderator poster but not the ModBot.

Yeah and then you’d get people analyzing writing styles, because all three of us write differently.

After reading this thread, I’ve come to the conclusion this isn’t about moderation but about personality clashes and how people read other people online. There’s not much I can do about that other than ask people to be respectful of each other. However, I am going to add one more moderator to the staff because we are getting busier and I want to stay ahead of the curve. So that’s the official business that is going to take place.

After reading this thread, I’ve come to the conclusion this isn’t about moderation but about personality clashes and how people read other people online. There’s not much I can do about that other than ask people to be respectful of each other. However, I am going to add one more moderator to the staff because we are getting busier and I want to stay ahead of the curve. So that’s the official business that is going to take place.
You should probably pick someone who doesn’t seem to be involved with any of the personality clashes, playstyle clashes, or political clashes.

For what it's worth, i like the idea of Modbot. It seems like it would address a lot of the issues being brought up here.
You could script repsonses with a style sheet of sorts that the Mods could use as well.

Privilege separation is a good concept in security. I would not be horribly opposed to that idea. However, I still thing that we are currently at the point where we could probably handle things over DMs. Old married couples is right. Maybe time to freshen up that marriage!

but the point remains that you are unable to ignore a moderator, and their posting, even if it is not particularly offense, is unavoidable. I think that's a difficult position there. Abuse of a modbot like feature would be handled with logging and with mod to mod action.

Why does being engaged in the community mean making dick jokes and throwing shade at other gaming styles?

I don't believe any mod here has ever "thrown shade at other gaming styles" at the Pub..

Sorry bub, but this place started with tribes and allegiances. To think otherwise to being purposefully oblivious.

Nor do I believe that's true.

If the purpose in poking the bear is to get the bear to react so you can punish the bear......

I think it would be helpful, if you're going to make these declarations, to back them up with actual cited posts.

Because Imma gonna call bullshit on all of these. Especially that last one, since at the start of this thread you can demonstrably see the exact opposite happened

Last edited:
Well, Silva was already calling anyone who thought RPGs didn’t need Social Mechanics a “D&D Zealot” and D&D was ”bullshit” for anything but dungeons and combat before Tristram ever showed up.

Tristram sent Silva into the Red Zone when called the Cortex+ Social Conflict example “ridiculous”. Which, it is, if you expect the rules to be simulating, from the character perspective, a social conflict, but not if you’re simulating from an overarching Narrative construct.

So Silva, now mad as hell, tries to /ignore Tristram and everything hits the fan.

It is starting to seem like if Mods are going to wade in on arguments (which they have every right to), they should be doing so using an account people can /ignore.

Then again, I never use /ignore. I just actually Ignore someone or just walk away from the argument. At some point, you can’t protect people from themselves.

I would prefer named mod accounts to anonymous Modbotting. Three Mods saying the same thing lends a lot more weight than one. Also, anonymous bots hide bias.

For what it's worth, i like the idea of Modbot. It seems like it would address a lot of the issues being brought up here.
You could script repsonses with a style sheet of sorts that the Mods could use as well.

I think if the responses are straight direct, to the point, and avoid any of our individual senes of humour it really would be fine. I don't think anonymity is as important as just making a clear distincting between the ways mods interact with the community.

I mean, ultimately I could just engage with the community less and my role here would primarily be as a mod, but I feel like I would be missing out and, maybe this is egotistical, but I fee the Pub would be missing out as well.

I think if the responses are straight direct, to the point, and avoid any of our individual senes of humour it really would be fine. I don't think anonymity is as important as just making a clear distincting between the ways mods interact with the community.

I mean, ultimately I could just engage with the community less and my role here would primarily be as a mod, but I feel like I would be missing out and, maybe this is egotistical, but I fee the Pub would be missing out as well.
I am strongly against any option where the mods are not allowed to act as regular posters. No offense, but that isn't primarily about you. ;) I just think it's contrary to everything we've built here to distance mods from everyone else.

Honestly, trying to get the mods to act differently because of their position is just a means to silence someone who's opinions they do not like.
It's Bullshit. We aren't politicians here.

Not to mention unfair to the Skaven.

I'm against the mods not acting as regular posters, against mod actions being hidden by anonymity, and against running off any of the participants in this fracas this far.
Basically I'm stamping my feet demanding nothing change, everything is FINE.

I think after 6 pages that's pretty much the conclusion. Endless is going to take on another Mod, which is good, becaus at different times all 3 of us are busy with IRL stuff, and it gives us another eye/perspective on the forum. I'm advocating for Modbot, but that's not that important.

After 6 pages providing posters the free opportunity to air their greivances with me it seems like Krueger has caught more shit in this thread than I have, so I don't feel bad now dismissing the two posters who did air significant grievances with me as an extreme minority.

So I think we can all get back to status quo.

I think after 6 pages that's pretty much the conclusion. Endless is going to take on another Mod, which is good, becaus at different times all 3 of us are busy with IRL stuff, and it gives us another eye/perspective on the forum. I'm advocating for Modbot, but that's not that important.

After 6 pages providing posters the free opportunity to air their greivances with me it seems like Krueger has caught more shit in this thread than I have, so I don't feel bad now dismissing the two posters who did air significant grievances with me as an extreme minority.

So I think we can all get back to status quo.
To be fair, I did openly admit that my issue was minor and petty :p I certainly wouldn't describe it as significant.

To be fair, I did openly admit that my issue was minor and petty :p I certainly wouldn't describe it as significant.

Oh yeah, sorry, I wasn't including you in that assessent because it didn't seem like a moderation issue, just a poster to poster one.

I was gonna dogpile on Krueger but he was so nice to me that it was really gonna make me look like a shithead, so I thought better of it.

Well played, CRKrueger CRKrueger. You win this round.

i-challenge-you-to-a-duel-very-well-the-weapon-30500350.png

That's why all mod decisions should be made as three line stanzas.
Keep it professional and go full Edgar Allen Poe.

As I gazed weak and weary o'er this thread with a Traveller query
my senses dulled with a deluge of curious and forgotten 3I lore
Then my attention gently failing, suddenly there came a wailing,
as of someone gently railing, railing against Mongoose once and more
"'Tis some Classic Traveller grognard" I muttered,
"Only this and nothing more"

But the thread was still beguiling, now discussing starship tiling
Straight I undertook a study of Hiver, Vargr, Vilani and much more
But then I saw Baulderstone was PMing, the thread he was condemning
quite rightly unsatisfied and tired of its arguments of yore
"Perhaps just perhaps we could permit Traveller edition wars!" I did implore
Quoth the Baulderstone "Nevermore"

Tommy I think you should write them in limerick fashion! It would lessen the blow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back