NPC portraits

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Necrozius

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I’m looking for a source or a series of portrait images for NPCs. Preferably all by the same artist and in the same style. With a solid variety.

While I’m specifically looking for something to use with Old school essentials, this could be a decent thread for anyone else too (eg, a set of 1920s portraits, star wars etc).

The criteria are:

- varied (different classes, races etc)
- all by the same artist or in the same art style

Anyone have any good resources?

deviantart.com, always. But honestly, I do a lot of ganking through Google Advanced Search, which generally pulls up rafts of pics from Pinterest, Instagram and deviantart. The benefit of the method is I can type in something like "RPG female armored fighter" and get dozens of good examples.

deviantart.com, always. But honestly, I do a lot of ganking through Google Advanced Search, which generally pulls up rafts of pics from Pinterest, Instagram and deviantart. The benefit of the method is I can type in something like "RPG female armored fighter" and get dozens of good examples.
For sure. The trick is... finding a set of illustrations all from the same artist, in the same style.

Maybe look for a portrait pack for a CRPG game like Baldur's Gate, Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale, and the like. Quality and consistency can vary by pack/artist, but you might find one that fits the aesthetics you're shooting for. I'm a big fan of Justin Sweet's work for Icewind Dale in particular (more painterly and lots of visible brush strokes which do a great job of capturing a moody, darker tone)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back