OSR experience options

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Necrozius

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
So traditionally a lot of these games go with "gold acquired and spent = XP gained" as a baseline.

Many different classes / races have different XP progression charts.

Some games just strip things down into smaller values (eg instead of 1000 XP, just 1 XP, takes 10 XP to level up).

What is your preference? Smaller numbers? Larger, more granular amounts? Universal XP progression vs. different per class/race?

I'm getting old. I want simplicity FFS.

So traditionally a lot of these games go with "gold acquired and spent = XP gained" as a baseline.

Some games just strip things down into smaller values (eg instead of 1000 XP, just 1 XP, takes 10 XP to level up).

What is your preference? Smaller numbers? Larger, more granular amounts? Universal XP progression vs. different per class/race?

My preference is "use whatever the game uses, but change how it's awarded to suit your goals". So what is your goal? To instill the OSR playstyle? Then yeah, go for "XP for gold" (you can give 1 XP per 1000 GP spent, or whatever, if the system uses this:thumbsup:).
Something else? Change accordingly:shade:.
XP is a powerful steering mechanism in the hands of a GM:angel:!

I approach experience points in D&D with the goal of incentivizing player behavior and, to a lesser extent, reinforcing genre. It is vitally important that players are able to meaningfully influence their pace of advancement. My default for D&D pulp survival-horror is to reward experience points for treasure, extraordinary experiences, and discovery.

I can work with with the granular bookkeeping of the traditional OSR experience gain with all the wonky bits (different goalposts for different classes, faster progression for high ability scores, etc) but prefer the faster, universal progression and smaller numbers of modern games.

I haven't played with the really small numbers (e.g. 10 XP to level) in OSR-style games but the one proposed in Shadowdark RPG seems promising.

Thanks to Klibbix! Klibbix! I've recently been reading the Black Hack, which has a simple experience system, though in play it would require a fair amount of judgment. The base 'currency' isn't money, or foes killed, etc. but what the game refers to as 'experiences'. You need as many 'experiences' as the next level to rise--so two experiences for second level. The g.m. awards 'experiences' for a variety of things:
  • Defeating or thwarting the plans of an important named opponent.
  • Succeeding on a quest or defeating a curse (or magical trap).
  • Discovering an important magical artifact.
  • Finding the entrance to a 'dungeon' or to a lower level and beginning its exploration (which strikes me as odd, since I don't usually hide such things).
  • Failing in a very spectacular and entertaining way (if the table agrees).
Actually leveling up requires the character to share those experiences in a carousing session with friends, which will cost money and may lead to positive or negative outcomes.

Reducing things to 'experiences' as units makes book-keeping pretty simple, and the progression is clear and the same for all classes. The only things that would worry me from the g.m.'s perspective is deciding when to award 'experiences' since this is pretty vague. I also would be tempted to put in a rule about only a limited number of 'experiences' gained per play session.

I give monsters XP RAW. The only wrinkle is that they just have to deal with the monster in some way, killing it just one thing they can do to get the xp award.

I give a milestone aware of 100xp times a factor time the level of the character. The factor depends on what individual and party goals were achieved. I don't use any type of formal system to track these goals. Instead, I listen to the players and just make a note of when they say they want to achieve something and when they do, I adjust the milestone award. The whole system is PC driven.

I been using this system for decades when it came to D&D sessions although I called it a roleplaying award in the 80s.

1682701540833.png

Lol, am I the only one who throws it all out, and just decides after this adventure ends, everyone gains a level?

I'm lazy, and spoiled by newer games, so I don't want to keep track of all the minutia; if they did well, apply reward...

Lol, am I the only one who throws it all out, and just decides after this adventure ends, everyone gains a level?

I'm lazy, and spoiled by newer games, so I don't want to keep track of all the minutia; if they did well, apply reward...

In leveled games, I have the characters level up when I think they have done enough to realistically get better at what they are doing. If it is some form of D&D, that usually works out to (roughly) going up a level every 3 months or so, assuming weekly game play.

I'm definitely one who prefers more granular rewards.

Thanks to Klibbix! Klibbix! I've recently been reading the Black Hack, which has a simple experience system, though in play it would require a fair amount of judgment. The base 'currency' isn't money, or foes killed, etc. but what the game refers to as 'experiences'. You need as many 'experiences' as the next level to rise--so two experiences for second level. The g.m. awards 'experiences' for a variety of things:
  • Finding the entrance to a 'dungeon' or to a lower level and beginning its exploration (which strikes me as odd, since I don't usually hide such things).
Actually leveling up requires the character to share those experiences in a carousing session with friends, which will cost money and may lead to positive or negative outcomes.

Reducing things to 'experiences' as units makes book-keeping pretty simple, and the progression is clear and the same for all classes. The only things that would worry me from the g.m.'s perspective is deciding when to award 'experiences' since this is pretty vague. I also would be tempted to put in a rule about only a limited number of 'experiences' gained per play session.

I'm very glad you've picked it up, I think it's a great game! Very modular and hackable and I've used it straight up to introduce a few people to the hobby.

While I do like it's take on experience, I also enjoy a more granular approach to leveling.

I think what you give XP for really drives the themes of a campaign and I love it when games give the option to expand this from GP = XP rewards into new realms. I particularly like the idea of giving XP for new areas explored or unique locations visited. Like, 25xp for every new hex entered or something like that.

I'm not sure that you can entirely drive play through what you give XP for, since (in my experience) players always enjoy combat regardless of the risk, but it's certainly a way to highlight the themes of specific campaigns. Instead of treasure being paramount, giving XP for, say, every new mercenary you successfully recruit into your sellsword company, or gaining 1XP for every GP you pay each of your surviving gladiators after a round in the colosseum, can change the focus of a game.

I'm in a little bit of an OSR-burn out phase currently, but I'm really enjoying (slowly) working towards a new Black Hack-hack with Lofgeornost Lofgeornost in the game resources section.

I tend to track XP for a variety of reasons, but the older I get the more I wanna just give everyone a level any time an adventure is completed or major goal in an extended adventure is achieved and call it a day. I just tend to award XP per accomplishment, cuz I think it incentivises getting stuff done. And characters who do more stuff earn more towards advancement. But usually all PCs in the group are in on the action, so I sometimes wonder "why bother tracking XP? Let's just give everyone a level when the adventure is done!'

I cheat.

I figure out how many sessions a campaign is going to be roughly, and what levels I want my PCs to end at, and then I give out XPs to try to match the plan; or rather, I set up challenges to match the requirements.

Being raised on Dragon Warriors, I give out XPs for defeating monsters (either killing or otherwise overcoming them) and obstacles, as well as a bonus for completing the scenario. The last I adjust heavily based on how the PCs conducted themselves during the session.

um, i came up with this thing once *, with tying levels to sessions instead of dealing with game rewards

so it was like

session1level1
session2level2
session4level3
session7level4
session11level5
session16level6
session22level7
session29level8
session37level9
session46level10

so if you played one session a week, say, you'd hit level ten in a few weeks under a year .

Of course, it's very non-diagetic, and that would bother a certain type of playr (myself being one), but i figure if its tied to a more OSR-(at least)adjacent RPG, the players would more likely than not be somewhere on the gamist spectrum

* - i mean, i'm sure other gamers have come up with it before, i just hadnt seen it, more than likely because i mostly don't often play rpgs with levels

I've done stuff like 5 10 or 20 XP to level, with 1 XP for a typical encounter. IME this resulted in very fast levelling no matter how I set the numbers.

5e D&D: These days it's back to 5e D&D XP RAW, with some quest XP awards. For most of my games, sandbox games, I use individual XP and start new PCs at half the highest current PC level. I find that this gives a feeling of slow & steady progression, but is also very stable. It enables effectively indefinite play, which is a huge plus for sandbox campaigns.
If I want fast levelling for a 'save the world' quest like Odyssey of the Dragonlords (edit: ie, not OSR), I simply use a single party XP tally and level. This only works if you want guaranteed progression and a definite end point, which is the general WoTC/Paizo style 'AP' assumption. I used to do this by default, but IME the sandbox games with individual XP are much more satisfying in the long term.

I'm also running Dragonbane these days, which uses skill ticks and roll over skill to increase it - no XP as such. I like this a lot.

Last edited:
I've done stuff like 5 10 or 20 XP to level, with 1 XP for a typical encounter. IME this resulted in very fast levelling no matter how I set the numbers.

5e D&D: These days it's back to 5e D&D XP RAW, with some quest XP awards. For most of my games, sandbox games, I use individual XP and start new PCs at half the highest current PC level. I find that this gives a feeling of slow & steady progression, but is also very stable. It enables effectively indefinite play, which is a huge plus for sandbox campaigns.
If I want fast levelling for a 'save the world' quest like Odyssey of the Dragonlords (edit: ie, not OSR), I simply use a single party XP tally and level. This only works if you want guaranteed progression and a definite end point, which is the general WoTC/Paizo style 'AP' assumption. I used to do this by default, but IME the sandbox games with individual XP are much more satisfying in the long term.

I'm also running Dragonbane these days, which uses skill ticks and roll over skill to increase it - no XP as such. I like this a lot.

My Wilderlands and Faerun Adventures sandbox campaigns (which interact, so I guess really one campaign?) currently use 5e D&D rules - I'm very happy with the 2014 5e D&D rules + Xanathar's. I mostly use OSR material for these games.

I've run Wilderlands since ca 2009, with Labyrinth Lord, OSRIC, 4e D&D, etc etc, in one continuity. The 5e version dates from early 2015. I've been running Stonehell Dungeon within Wilderlands since 2017, currently running weekly. The current main PC group:

Active PCs

Bill - Talaktakan, male Dragonborn/Yuan-Ti Fighter (Eldritch Knight) 15

Chris - Maglor, male High Elf Rogue (Thief) 13

Craig - Lazlo, male Nerathi Human Fighter (Battlemaster) 10

Matt - John Stonehell, level 8 male Human Barbarian (Totem) 5/Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3

PC Start Level: 7 (half highest level, rounded down) with 1150gp (5% of starting XP, plus standard PHB gear for level 1).

Talaktakan & Maglor have been around since ca 2017, the other PCs are much more recent. John 'Stonehell' is a refugee from the Faerun Adventures setting.

Faerun Adventures groups, current main PCs - campaign start level is 5th. The PC groups each have a very distinctive character, but PCs can move from one to the other as desired and as time permits - I use 1:1 campaign: real time.

NORRIN'S BAND level 5-10
1. Lord Norrin (Geoff), Knight of Arcata, the Baron D'Ashe, Son of Thorin, Father of Teela D'Ashe Norrinsdottir. Human male Fighter-9 (Champion) PB+4 AC 24 (plate +1 & shield +2, cloak) HP 85 (4+9/level) MI: +2 longsword, +1 plate armour, +2 shield, cloak of protection (a). Henchman: Rondus
Followers: 100 heavy infantry, 20 light cavalry, Fighter-4 Lieutenant, Veteran Captain Farrell.
2. Queale (Keelia) Half-Elf female Horizon Walker Ranger-8 AC 17 (mithril half plate) HP 76 (4+9/level) P-PER 16 P-INV 13 P-INS 16 MI: rabbit fur slippers of elvenkind, +1 arrows, ethereal diadem (in pack, a), +1 longbow, Oathbow (a), +1 Durgeddin Rapier.
3. Meryem Bloodletter of Reghed
(Roxy) Human female Berserker Barbarian-8 AC 20 (15 half plate +2 DEX +3 shield +1) HP 93 (5+11/level) P-PER 10 P-INV 10 P-INS 10. MI: +1 Duergar greatsword, +3 battleaxe of Durgeddin, +1 shield. Henchman: Hugo
4. Goltho 'Bearchaser' (Tim), Goliath male Fighter-6>7 (Arcane Archer) AC 18 (Glamered Half Plate +1) HP 64 (4+10/lvl) P-PER 14 P-INV 11 P-INS 11 MI: Yew Greatbow +1, Longsword +1, Goggles of Night, Glamered Half Plate +1
5. Tod Bindwood (Jack) Forest Gnome male Ranger-5 (Hunter) AC 18 (+2 studded), HP 39 (4+7/lvl) P-PER 12 MI: +2 studded leather, +1 shortbow, boots of striding and springing (a), cloak of elvenkind (a). Steward of Gnomestead (renamed from Dwarfstead) from M8 1361 DR.
6. Moxy (Claire), female Tiefling Bard-10 (Swords) AC 20 HP 59 MI: Dagger of Venom, Half Plate +1, Ring of Protection, Cloak of Protection, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Longsword +1
(
Aya (Judith) female Aasimar Untherite Light Cleric 8 of Shamash)
(Kevan Blackguard (Jack) Half-Elf male Bard-7 (Lore) )

The Faerun 7 level 7-8
1. Eamon of the Yellow Rose (Bill) male Human Monk-8 (Kensai)
2. Greeba of Soravia (Jelena) female Half-Orc Barbarian-8 (Berserker)
3. Gorlock the Warlock (Tony) male Half-Elf Warlock-8 (Celestial)
4. Nathia Truthfist (Kimberly) female Goliath Fighter-8 (Champion)
5. Wisteria of Skullspire (Jelly) female Moon Elf Cleric-7 (Grave)
6. Joell Elderberry (Max) male Aasimar Companion of the Noble Heart Paladin-7 (Oath of Conquest)
7. Blurb Birchbark (Phil) male Firbolg Shepherd Druid-7 (Circle of the Shepherd)
(Ted (Matt) Half-Orc Rogue 7 (Assassin)

NPCs: Arnor (Shadowfey Guardian).

The Barrowmazers level 9-10

1. Mac (Matt) male Drow (ex-Half Elf) Level 10 Vengeance Paladin 7/Fighter 3
2. Droghall (Bill) male 'Kroxiger' Totem Barbarian 10
3. Liam (Kermit) male Halfling Arcane Trickster Rogue 10
4. Sir Glendor (Rich) Human male Vengeance Paladin 10

5. Spartigus (Gus) male
Human Champion Fighter 9

(Petyr (Jack), male Aasimar Warlock 7 (Celestial) of Avery)
(Keoni (Judith) female Nar human Druid 5)

Some PCs move group so much it's hard to tell which group they currently belong to.

This week in our Mörk Borg game the DM asked us if we feel like leveling up. I was the first to disagree.

The Black Hack experience system is a work of bloody genius. I like it more than any other fantasy or OSR experience system. In terms of awarding experiences I usually just tag things as I design my sandbox as possible experiences. I haven't had any doubts when I run BH.

Faerun Adventures groups, current main PCs - campaign start level is 5th. The PC groups each have a very distinctive character, but PCs can move from one to the other as desired and as time permits - I use 1:1 campaign: real time.

NORRIN'S BAND level 5-10
1. Lord Norrin (Geoff), Knight of Arcata, the Baron D'Ashe, Son of Thorin, Father of Teela D'Ashe Norrinsdottir. Human male Fighter-9 (Champion) PB+4 AC 24 (plate +1 & shield +2, cloak) HP 85 (4+9/level) MI: +2 longsword, +1 plate armour, +2 shield, cloak of protection (a). Henchman: Rondus
Followers: 100 heavy infantry, 20 light cavalry, Fighter-4 Lieutenant, Veteran Captain Farrell.
2. Queale (Keelia) Half-Elf female Horizon Walker Ranger-8 AC 17 (mithril half plate) HP 76 (4+9/level) P-PER 16 P-INV 13 P-INS 16 MI: rabbit fur slippers of elvenkind, +1 arrows, ethereal diadem (in pack, a), +1 longbow, Oathbow (a), +1 Durgeddin Rapier.
3. Meryem Bloodletter of Reghed
(Roxy) Human female Berserker Barbarian-8 AC 20 (15 half plate +2 DEX +3 shield +1) HP 93 (5+11/level) P-PER 10 P-INV 10 P-INS 10. MI: +1 Duergar greatsword, +3 battleaxe of Durgeddin, +1 shield. Henchman: Hugo
4. Goltho 'Bearchaser' (Tim), Goliath male Fighter-6>7 (Arcane Archer) AC 18 (Glamered Half Plate +1) HP 64 (4+10/lvl) P-PER 14 P-INV 11 P-INS 11 MI: Yew Greatbow +1, Longsword +1, Goggles of Night, Glamered Half Plate +1
5. Tod Bindwood (Jack) Forest Gnome male Ranger-5 (Hunter) AC 18 (+2 studded), HP 39 (4+7/lvl) P-PER 12 MI: +2 studded leather, +1 shortbow, boots of striding and springing (a), cloak of elvenkind (a). Steward of Gnomestead (renamed from Dwarfstead) from M8 1361 DR.
6. Moxy (Claire), female Tiefling Bard-10 (Swords) AC 20 HP 59 MI: Dagger of Venom, Half Plate +1, Ring of Protection, Cloak of Protection, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Longsword +1
(
Aya (Judith) female Aasimar Untherite Light Cleric 8 of Shamash)
(Kevan Blackguard (Jack) Half-Elf male Bard-7 (Lore) )

The Faerun 7 level 7-8

1. Eamon of the Yellow Rose (Bill) male Human Monk-8 (Kensai)

2. Greeba of Soravia (Jelena) female Half-Orc Barbarian-8 (Berserker)

3. Gorlock the Warlock (Tony) male Half-Elf Warlock-8 (Celestial)

4. Nathia Truthfist (Kimberly) female Goliath Fighter-8 (Champion)

5. Wisteria of Skullspire (Jelly) female Moon Elf Cleric-7 (Grave)

6. Joell Elderberry (Max) male Aasimar Companion of the Noble Heart Paladin-7 (Oath of Conquest)

7. Blurb Birchbark (Phil) male Firbolg Shepherd Druid-7 (Circle of the Shepherd)

(Ted (Matt) Half-Orc Rogue 7 (Assassin)

NPCs: Arnor (Shadowfey Guardian).

The Barrowmazers level 9-10

1. Mac (Matt) male Drow (ex-Half Elf) Level 10 Vengeance Paladin 7/Fighter 3

2. Droghall (Bill) male 'Kroxiger' Totem Barbarian 10

3. Liam (Kermit) male Halfling Arcane Trickster Rogue 10

4. Sir Glendor (Rich) Human male Vengeance Paladin 10

5. Spartigus (Gus) male Human Champion Fighter 9

(Petyr(Jack), male Aasimar Warlock 7 (Celestial) of Avery)

(Keoni (Judith) female Nar human Druid 5)

[h2][/h2]

Some PCs move group so much it's hard to tell which group they currently belong to.

This campaign started in early 2018 using 1e/OSRIC, it's been a 5e campaign (or campaigns) since 2020. Norrin is the only PC who's been there from the start, converted 1e>5e.

Last edited:
I really enjoy treasure-as-experience in OSR games. First, it isn't EXCLUSIVELY treasure; defeating stuff also counts (sub-equally) in pretty much all original and OSR games. Second, it focuses attention on end-of-the day, net accomplishment (recovering loot) rather than how you did it, which I think gives all types of characters some latitude to approach challenges in whatever way suits them.

That said, the first OSR-adjacent system I saw that handled experience in a more organic seeming way was 1E C&S. Classes in that game are a chaotic mess of contradictory terms and poorly defined groupings, distinctions, prerequisites, etc. But, if you can figure out what your class is, you will find some clear distinctions between them in how you earn XP.

I would rather cut things down to small numbers, if at all possible, so something like 5xp to lvl 2 works fine, +5 every level after that (so lvl 3 requires 15 xp total, 4 is 30 xp, etc).

As regards xp, I'd rather turn it into a few questions - "were you at the session", "did you defeat an enemy of consequence", "did you recover a valuable treasure", "did you learn something interesting about the world" to be a good set, with XP being given to everyone equally along with maybe a group vote for a bonus point for someone who deserved it that session or a spot award if someone really impresses me.

I like smaller numbers tied to specific class/race touchpoints plus a few points for obvious stuff like completing an adventure, defeating a major enemy, etc.

So a point for a thief doing thief things successfully during a session, a point for a fighter kicking ass, a point for a wizard using magic effectively in the session, etc.

Believe that this approach comes from PbtA, even if I don't care for Dungeon World (whereas I do like World of Dungeons).

I need to start thinking about XP for my Cold Iron campaigns. I had started my Cold Iron Samurai Adventures at 3rd level and now I'm starting characters at 4th, so after their first fight I bumped them to 4th, but I need to start thinking about how to award XP. For what it's worth, the game comes with NO guidelines... Back in the day, at low levels I think I used to use a few hundred XP for a good fight with some bonus XP for good ideas or role play. But with play by post or bi-weekly 2 hour sessions, I need to be more generous. The XP scale is 2000 XP for 2nd, doubling each level after. So we're already at 8000 needing 16000. Maybe 1000 for a good fight, tune up or down for difficulty and some opportunities for a bonus.

This campaign started in early 2018 using 1e/OSRIC, it's been a 5e campaign (or campaigns) since 2020. Norrin is the only PC who's been there from the start, converted 1e>5e.
"Time for my downgrade...well, I guess it's a life nonetheless" - Lord Norrin, on hearing the system is switching for 5e:shade:.

One option I don't see explored is the Cash Bribe/Food/Hash/Lifts Home/Pirate Videos=XP formula we used to use back in the day.
Was that the main option? I used to give XP bonii for bringing food (for everyone*) and/or writing up the events of the previous session:pizza:.

*The player that brought pancakes once received double that, by unanimous group vote:tongue:!

Yeah, the level "rewards" in the Borg are...uh, kinda bad overall lol. Good call on the hard pass.
Wait, what's wrong with more HP and so on:shock:?

"Time for my downgrade...well, I guess it's a life nonetheless" - Lord Norrin, on hearing the system is switching for 5e:shade:.

:hehe: The PC probably did get less powerful, but Geoff is an easy-going player, no complaints.

In M-Borg there's a decent chance that some of your attributes go down, instead of up when leveling. My guess is that bleys21 bleys21 meant that.

Bingo. There's a really good chance, considering you roll a d6 vs your ability modifier. Roll equal or above, you get +1, roll below you get -1. However, if your modifier is -3 to +1, and you roll a 1, you get -1 anyway. Take that!

For Mork Borg, this is designed to drive home the world being slowly corrupted/destroyed, which includes the PC's.

I like smaller numbers tied to specific class/race touchpoints plus a few points for obvious stuff like completing an adventure, defeating a major enemy, etc.

So a point for a thief doing thief things successfully during a session, a point for a fighter kicking ass, a point for a wizard using magic effectively in the session, etc.

Believe that this approach comes from PbtA, even if I don't care for Dungeon World (whereas I do like World of Dungeons).
I'm pretty sure "Goal-based XP" predates PbtA games, it just fits in with them very neatly due to their strong class-based nature.

I'm pretty sure "Goal-based XP" predates PbtA games, it just fits in with them very neatly due to their strong class-based nature.

Oh of course goal-based XP predates PbtA (I recall it appearing as early as TFT for instance) but this particular implementation seems to have been popularized through it.

If I'm running something that is in the style of TSR-era D&D, I don't mind being granular with my XP rewards (although the simplified version of XP that DCC does certainly has its merits). It's a mix of older and more 'story' based rewards, all in the service of letting characters level up at a decent clip:

1) Monsters killed/defeated/driven off - pretty much by the book.

2) Gold acquired - only given if spent on things that don't directly benefit the character in a material way (such as equipment); this usually means the money is blown on tithing, partying/carousing, and/or finding a master to have abstracted training with (the latter two also dictating a certain amount of game time passing).

2a) An exception for the above is if someone spends money on acquiring land and/or a building - at higher levels this is the usual 'fighter builds a keep' or 'cleric builds a chapel', but at lower levels something like buying or building an inn or tavern is also an option.

3) Exploration of unknown or dangerous areas - if a dungeon, usually 100 x dungeon level given to everyone separately (swiped directly from T&T).

4) A 'story' award upon completion of a given goal, whether accepted from an outside party or self-imposed - no more than a) the total amount of XP for all the monsters/threats present, or b) 1/10 of the total XP for what each character needs to advance from their current level to their next level, added together (taken directly from AD&D 2nd edition).

5) Some XP just for sitting down and playing in my game (because if you actually agree to do so, you probably deserve some sort of compensation, you poor soul), usually around 100 x the average party level of the group x number of hours actually played - at higher levels this is a fairly minor bonus, but at lower levels it helps the PCs to level up relatively quickly.

I have been running a Spellcraft and Swordplay one-shot today. See, I kinda like the simplicity of OSR games, not to mention their wealth of options...so my quest to find a game that can do those in a way I actually like continues:grin:!

So the PC (it's a solo game) is a wizard. I should have allowed her access to all spells in the book, BTW...maybe I shall do that if we continue.
She joined a party of NPCs, and is having a dream. A dream where she's being chased by someone across roofs with weird architecture. And that someone is chasing her because she has betrayed her, thus the NPC is planning to release the Grey Mist spell on her...if her blade doesn't do the job.
Also, the setting is Trevor's 48 locations.

What she doesn't know:
An NPC that just joined the party is an assassin. She is there to kill the party's leader, a Warrior who wants to believe himself a Paladin.
Ragnar knows full well he is not. Still, he's Good, he's honourable, he's tough, and he does his best to protect people. He lets other people think he is Paladin, and never answers this question, unwilling to admit to never having been Chosen (barring tough circumstances - he won't mislead anyone, or let anything bad happen to protect his self-image - he just doesn't want to say he has never been blessed).

Granted he's not very bright, has 2 Charisma less than required for Paladinhood (15 vs 17), and the worst part: his relatives know that he is the likely inheritor of a title. So they've sent Zelma, the NPC assassin, to off him before his rich relative succumbs.
Her current plan is to sleep with him and kill him off in his sleep. So far, he's resisting her not-inconsiderable charms. If he manages to do so until they finish the first quest, I'd roll an Intelligence or Charisma save for Zelma, and if she doesn't make it, she might never attempt to kill him.
Also, they're chasing a revenant created by a long-forgotten murder. The only weapon that can harm it is Ragnar's sword. Poor, deluded souls.

What my player doesn't know:
The NPC chasing her in her dream is who she is going to play in the next one-shot. (Why? Because I know the player: it's much easier to get her betrayed than to get her to betray anyone. OTOH, she has a tendency to murder those NPCs who betray her).
The second one-shot is going to be run via The Petal Hack. Yes, the weird roofs are in Tekumel. And if she does, she'll dream of another equally weird place, which is going to be the Young Kingdoms (or rather AsenRG's interpretations of the Young Kingdoms), the setting of the third one-shot (she knows I'm planning three one-shots, but no more). That one shall be run, of course, via the Black Sword Hack.
And the third PC is going to dream of her first PC, and maybe the second one as well.
And maybe, just maybe, I'd offer her a fourth one shot, where she'd play in a cyberpunk world (either Cities Without Numbers or Zaibatsu) and then she'd realize that all three are her avatars in different VRs. But then she'd need to find out how items from one game have appeared into the other...:angel:

In M-Borg there's a decent chance that some of your attributes go down, instead of up when leveling. My guess is that bleys21 bleys21 meant that.
...OK, why did nobody tell me that Mork Borg is not only the death metal game, but also the Game Of Old Fighters Getting Progressively More And More Beaten Up:shade:?

:hehe: The PC probably did get less powerful, but Geoff is an easy-going player, no complaints.
And that's great:thumbsup:!

Also, the setting is Trevor's 48 locations.

So searching and searching and google is not friendly with defining what “Trevor’s 48 locations” is. Link?

So searching and searching and google is not friendly with defining what “Trevor’s 48 locations” is. Link?
Ask, and a link shall be provided:grin:!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back