Tavern carousing tables!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Necrozius

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
So I like the idea of encouraging players to spend varying ammounts of treasure at the local tavern to gain fame, bonus XP, allies, rumors and possibly items too. With a tradeoff risk of losing some of those things (ie, you wake up in a gutter, robbed and stinking, or you set fire to the curtains at the tavern, you're banned for a week).

Many games that I own have this sort of thing, but I'm not crazy about them.

The 5e one in Xanathar's guide will maybe get you an NPC ally.

The Shadowdark game has a nice set up: the more gold you spend, the higher your bonus on the "what happens" table (although I'm looking for something a bit different).

While I'm looking for something that I can use with Old School Essentials, I'm happy with anything that I can modify to taste.

What I look for:

- bad things happen on poor rolls, good on higher
- chance to make allies, free or discounted henchmen
- chance to learn helpful rumors

Anyone have any favorites?

DCC Lankhmar has a carousing table. It's pretty specifically tied to the luck mechanic of DCC and DCC Lankhmar, but you might be able to adjust it to taste.

There are also carousing tables in some of the DCC Lankhmar modules, specific to certain cities. The Land of the Eight Cities module has one, and there's one other, but I can't recall which region it's for at the moment.

In a nutshell, the player chooses what size die ro roll on the table. The bigger the die, the greater the potential recouping of luck. But tye higher the roll, the greater the risk of some type of negative consequence as well.

It's not all bad, though. There are good and bad things that can happen all up and down the table. So, it doesn't have the low=bad, high=good that you're looking for.

Durnan's Guide to tavern Keeping has some nice stuff in it. Lots of crunchy bits for running your tavern and a nice d100 table for random tavern events.

Edit: And a bunch of random tables for generating taverns.

Last edited:
ICE's pirate game Run Out the Guns has a single column carousing table that would probably cause rpg.net to implode.

Rolemaster also has a fun Brawling table that involves things like broken bottles and chair legs.

Conan 2D20 actually has a range of very good ones for different circumstances eg. pirate campaigns, mercs etc.

The best one though is in Fever Dreaming Marlinko where it is integrated brilliantly into the setting.

Last edited:
What I look for:

- bad things happen on poor rolls, good on higher
- chance to make allies, free or discounted henchmen
- chance to learn helpful rumors

The Carousing table in Into the Unknown has the first two items, as well as the possibility of overall reputation gain/loss (+/- on future reaction rolls in the community).

Into the Unknown also has additional "downtime" activities: "Sowing a Tenor" (spreading rumours, tales, etc.); "Social Canvassing" (developing influence among the "movers and shakers" of the city/community); "Philanthropy/Religious Sacrifice" (good deeds, donations, etc.); "Research" (learning about legendary items/locations, history, etc.). Experience is gained by spending gold engaging in these activities.

The Miscellaneum of Cinder has an amusing carousing chart, but all the results are "negative" (you only roll on it if your PC fails to save vs. poison).

Pirate Borg has a great carousing table, with a combo of weird shit in it. You roll 4d20, the lowest number is how many hours you're hungover, the total is either how much silver you spent(4-49) or how much you stole/won(50+) Then you compare the 4 numbers to a chart that has these column headers:

Last Night you...
Who?
You wake up...
And now you are...

Here's a random example: 4d20 = 12, 7, 17, 4

Last night you...spent the night with(12) a priest(7). You wake up in...a captains cabin(17) and now you (are) feel terrible (-1 to all stats)

Figure that one out :-) Lots of fun gaming situations in one carousing roll...

I wish I could get just the one PDF for those tables. The digital boxed set is about 60$ CAD
I can make PDFs of just the carousing tables for you, it'll be tonight before I can get to it.

HA! I forgot that I already owned Into the Unknown. Thanks, I'll dust those PDFs off...

That's very kind of you! Many thanks!!
Foe some reason, I'm not able to send you a DM...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back