A new campaign idea - RuneQuest Thieve's Guild

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

ffilz

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I love RQ. I've also always loved Thieve's Guild, but trying to run it these days with no legal way to get a copy of the rules doesn't sound like a good idea. Plus, they never developed the magic system (you could cobble together fighters, but casters no way).

So why not merge the two. RQ can easily do the thief skills. Add some house rules (since I would still use RQ 1st ed.) for armor penalties. Yea, thieves are going to get some spells, but nothing too powerful. I'd lean more heavily on the guild structure of RQ1 than the cult structure of Cults of Prax, though I would let PCs join minor cults, but the point would be they are thieves and not on the normal cult track.

Use the Haven setting not Glorantha.

It does impact the little bit of magic in the system, but probably could hand wave anything really necessary to a given scenario.

I'm not sure how much of a Sandbox it would be...

Work to be done:

Stat up the Thieve's Guild races in RQ (those that don't already exist in usable form). Use the AD&D-like thief ability bonuses by race as part of the previous experience system. MAYBE subdivide Manipulation, or maybe not. Maybe use the Thieve's Guild chargen and the skills it has again as part of an RQ previous experience system.

Adventures and missions would be converted on the fly.

How many of you would play in such a campaign? Realizing most of you won't be able to due to my gaming weekday later evening in Pacific Timezone...

I love RQ. I've also always loved Thieve's Guild, but trying to run it these days with no legal way to get a copy of the rules doesn't sound like a good idea. Plus, they never developed the magic system (you could cobble together fighters, but casters no way).

So why not merge the two. RQ can easily do the thief skills. Add some house rules (since I would still use RQ 1st ed.) for armor penalties. Yea, thieves are going to get some spells, but nothing too powerful. I'd lean more heavily on the guild structure of RQ1 than the cult structure of Cults of Prax, though I would let PCs join minor cults, but the point would be they are thieves and not on the normal cult track.

Use the Haven setting not Glorantha.

It does impact the little bit of magic in the system, but probably could hand wave anything really necessary to a given scenario.

Work to be done:

Stat up the Thieve's Guild races in RQ (those that don't already exist in usable form). Use the AD&D-like thief ability bonuses by race as part of the previous experience system. MAYBE subdivide Manipulation, or maybe not. Maybe use the Thieve's Guild chargen and the skills it has again as part of an RQ previous experience system.

Adventures and missions would be converted on the fly.

How many of you would play in such a campaign? Realizing most of you won't be able to due to my gaming weekday later evening in Pacific Timezone...
I'd be interested. I'm free after 8pm Pacific most weekdays.

I'd be interested. I'm free after 8pm Pacific most weekdays.
Well, hey, there we go :-) I'm going to take some evenings to work out what I need to do to be ready to run this, my thought would be to use the once a month Friday I get free to run some one shots before starting in earnest on Wednesdays in late August/early September. I currently schedule my one shots for 7:30 start, but could easily shift to 8:00 to accommodate. My Wednesdays have been starting at 8:30 though I hope I can eventually pull them a bit earlier at least.

Well, hey, there we go :-) I'm going to take some evenings to work out what I need to do to be ready to run this, my thought would be to use the once a month Friday I get free to run some one shots before starting in earnest on Wednesdays in late August/early September. I currently schedule my one shots for 7:30 start, but could easily shift to 8:00 to accommodate. My Wednesdays have been starting at 8:30 though I hope I can eventually pull them a bit earlier at least.
How long do your sessions tend to run?

Also I have a copy of 1st edition Thieves World if you do have any system questions.

How long do your sessions tend to run?

Also I have a copy of 1st edition Thieves World if you do have any system questions.
I aim for 2ish hour sessions. One day I will be able to start early enough to do 3 hour sessions, but with an 8:00 PM start time, 2 to 2.5 hours would be the extent.

Roll20 campaign is set up: https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/291752/free-city-of-haven-runequest-thieves-guild

I have ALL the Gamelords stuff, Haven and Thieve's Guild and am somewhat familiar with it.

I ALSO have Chaosium's Thieves World, but that's a different thing... I missed a supplement or two for that, but have the Companion and at least one Adventure. Sanctuary MIGHT be incorporated...

I also have the Flying Buffalo City Book series and hope to incorporate some of that.

And who knows, if I need to expand the setting, the Midkemia Press cities are prime candidates.

And if that isn't enough material, I'm sure I could bend the Companions Street of Gems and such adventures in...

OK, it's not Cold Iron, but I'm getting genuinely excited!

And the cool thing, while folks have probably heard of Haven and Thieves Guild, it doesn't have the weight of knowledge that Warhammer/The Old World has, so I can genuinely make it my own...

I aim for 2ish hour sessions. One day I will be able to start early enough to do 3 hour sessions, but with an 8:00 PM start time, 2 to 2.5 hours would be the extent.

Roll20 campaign is set up: https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/291752/free-city-of-haven-runequest-thieves-guild

I have ALL the Gamelords stuff, Haven and Thieve's Guild and am somewhat familiar with it.

I ALSO have Chaosium's Thieves World, but that's a different thing... I missed a supplement or two for that, but have the Companion and at least one Adventure. Sanctuary MIGHT be incorporated...

I also have the Flying Buffalo City Book series and hope to incorporate some of that.

And who knows, if I need to expand the setting, the Midkemia Press cities are prime candidates.

And if that isn't enough material, I'm sure I could bend the Companions Street of Gems and such adventures in...

OK, it's not Cold Iron, but I'm getting genuinely excited!

And the cool thing, while folks have probably heard of Haven and Thieves Guild, it doesn't have the weight of knowledge that Warhammer/The Old World has, so I can genuinely make it my own...
I have Thieves World and the companion as well and would love incorporating that as you see fit.

I have Thieves World and the companion as well and would love incorporating that as you see fit.
Yea, I'll see. I took a quick look earlier to see if I wanted to grab stuff from there right up front, but I'm not sure I want to deal with defining all the Sanctuary religions in terms of RQ cults... But who knows what will happen... Plan to start in Haven since Thieves Guild has a bunch of nice thief scenarios to start with.

Great idea. I bought a lot of the Gamelords books from Different Worlds fairly recently when there was still stock. Even in D&D I always loved all-thief campaigns.

EDIT: I'm in if there's still room.

Last edited:
Yes the rules are out of print. But you may want to contact Tadashi Ehara to see what he can do for you.

The most of the corpus is still available.

Sounds doable. Most of it were subsystems in support of running a campaign focused on Thieves.

For my part I pursued a license for Thieves Guild and could have gotten it but just didn't have enough time to follow up. My plan was to adapt some of my Majestic Fantasy stuff. I sent the attached PDF as an example. Maybe next year or the year after I will try pursuing it again.

The heart of Thieves Guild wasn't it rules but the dozens of scenarios to support common and uncommon thieving situations. Applicable to any Game system. Given the nature of the original set of rules any semi-gritty skill based system would work whether it is Runequest, GURPS, Harnmaster, etc.

Attachments

• Thieves Guild Sample.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Yes the rules are out of print. But you may want to contact Tadashi Ehara to see what he can do for you.

The most of the corpus is still available.

Sounds doable. Most of it were subsystems in support of running a campaign focused on Thieves.

For my part I pursued a license for Thieves Guild and could have gotten it but just didn't have enough time to follow up. My plan was to adapt some of my Majestic Fantasy stuff. I sent the attached PDF as an example. Maybe next year or the year after I will try pursuing it again.

The heart of Thieves Guild wasn't it rules but the dozens of scenarios to support common and uncommon thieving situations. Applicable to any Game system. Given the nature of the original set of rules any semi-gritty skill based system would work whether it is Runequest, GURPS, Harnmaster, etc.
I hope you pursue it. Id like to see it back in print.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page there's a "Thieves' World" article. The only thing specific to Mythras/RuneQuest 6 is the Cult/Brotherhood structure outlined in the article.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page there's a "Thieves' World" article. The only thing specific to Mythras/RuneQuest 6 is the Cult/Brotherhood structure outlined in the article.
Scroll to the bottom of which page?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back