Best post-apocalyptic rpg?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
IIRC In The Ruin D100 the apocalypse is the result of humanity's battle against an invasion of extradimensional beings intending to terraform earth. The method proved worse than the problem, in a way.

Last edited:
I think there are tons of games out there that are not far from Gamma World, and those that are not tend to be based off Fallout. With some perhaps in a spectrum between the two (which are not that far apart anyway).

I would look at Tribe 8 as an exception, in that it takes the basic idea of post-apocalypse and does something very new with it, but that's decades old now.
A few other examples:
- Summerland - world is mysteriously taken over by a forest which actively hunts people.
- Last Fleet - Battlestar Galactica style PA

There is also Legacy: Life Among the Ruins which is essentially a PA toolkit.

Completely forgot about Neon Lords of the Toxic Wasteland, it's built on a B/X chassis and it goes for a full 80s B-movie aesthetic. It's pretty good if you like any of that.

Kudos for the (fully illustrated!) collection of 80s haircuts where each one comes with specific bonuses. :grin:

haircuts.jpg

Mechanoid Invasion is a type of PA where the aliens invade the world and terraform it.

Dominion is another in that genre.

Cosmic Enforcers is too as I recall but it's a weird Superheroes/alien invasion kind of PA.

I'll second Atomic Highway. I love that game. I love the way characters are built, I love the game in play, and I love the smoothness of (most) of the rules. I wish it were better laid out, I wish the mutations and psionics were better balanced, and I wish the scavenging system was a bit better. Most of all, I wish the new owners, Gallant Knight Games, would crowdfund the 2nd edition they have been talking about for years.

A few years ago I backed Rock Manor Games' Maximum Apocalypse RPG tied to the boardgame series by the same name. Great game, and I'm not a fan of d100/percentile systems.

You build characters by selecting a primary and a secondary Archetypes. The Archetypes are Firefighter, Gunslinger, Hunter, Mechanic, Priest, Ronin, Scientist, Surgeon, Thief, and Veteran; they provide different effects whether you are selecting the archetype as either primary or secondary, and yes, there are rules if you decide to double up. Then you select a personal Apocalypse which gives you an edge when dealing with those issues. The Apocalypses are Alien Invasion, Food Riots, Kaiju Attack, Nuclear Holocaust, Peak Oil Collapse, Robot Uprising, Seismic Cataclysm, Supernatural Horrors, The Rapture, Time Paradox, and Zombie Apocalypse. Of course, it's very easy to focus on a singular apocalypse, if you wish. Your age has an effect on charge, too, and you also end up with a lucky mutation of some kind.

One of the things I love about the rules is that there is a solid system for crafting, repairing, and salvaging that is fairly simple and portable into games that don't have them or the system is...not good (looking at you, Atomic Highway!).

Downsides? It is a percentile system, so if that isn't your bag, you won't like it as much. It also has three core books, but the PDFs cost only about $12. The multiple Apocalypses (sp?) could also be an issue, but again, you could likely solve that by restricting players or one or two choices.

There are two quickstart available, if you would prefer to try before you buy, and there is a new, standalone version of the game, The Few & The Cursed based on the comic of the same name.
I'll be brief...

681.jpg

You can all go home now.
Why are the Silverhawks divebombing Geralt and Triss? When did Geralt pick up a sniper rifle? Wait, that's a Geralt-inspired Rogue Trader and entourage/cohort. I think. I'm confused.

Last edited:
Oops. Replied on the wrong thread.

Please delete.

Wow! :grin:I just saw in the official Gallant Knight game group on FB that they are working on an Atomic Highway Remastered. The first game was cool. No ETA as of yet.
View attachment 82088
THAT'S THE THING I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!! I even mentioned it in my post! Any mention of when it's supposed to hit a crowdfunding platform? Especially as I don't want to sign up to FB just to find out...
Let's hope they keep the system, and the emphasis on random tables...:thumbsup:
I love the tables, too, but I would also prefer a solid crafting/repairing/salvaging system like Maximum Apocalypse has. My favorite part is the vehicle rules. Hits the sweet spot with simplicity and customization, but again, it would be nice to have rules for continued tweaking after character creation.

...One of the things I love about the rules is that there is a solid system for crafting, repairing, and salvaging that is fairly simple and portable into games that don't have them or the system is...not good (looking at you, Atomic Highway!)....
I made such a system compatible with Atomic Highway for that, and like Atomic Highway smooth.... :smile:
(will have to check out Maximum Apocalypse though; why I love these threads)

d20 Apocalypse and Darwin's World.

d20 Apocalypse is a generic postapoc toolkit and useful in that respect. It includes three sample settings with different types of apocalypses and which take place varying amounts of time after said apocalypses. The first two sample settings are basically pastiches of Left Behind and Mad Max, respectively, while the third is an even worse scenario of Defiance.

Actually, I don't think I've ever played that tbh. I must look it up. :smile:
Brettmb can probably tell you more about it, but IIRC there's an implied setting and tone but it still takes a toolkit approach, so you can easily leave out or add in setting elements to your own preference. If you decide to pick it up I do recommend you go for the Expanded version, which includes most (all?) of the supplemental material as well.

Addendum: genreDiversion i is a pretty light 2d6 roll under stat + skill system. There's conversion notes in the back to some other of Precis Intermedia's house systems. Conversion to the more recent genreDiversion 3E , which switched to roll-high, would be a breeze, but you'd have to pick up the generic rules for that. That said, IMHO genreDiversion i works just fine.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back