D6 System 2E Coming Soon

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Gallant Knight signed a licensing deal with Nocturnal Media after the death of Stewart Wieck so someone, I assume Steve Wieck (he was certainly involved in getting the Aquelarre KS campaign fulfilled), was still working for the company after that point.
It's entirely possible Gallant Knight penned their licensing agreement prior to Stewart's death. But if Steve is actively running the business, I think that's a good thing.

I thought the upcoming Planet of the Apes is using the the same system as Carbon Grey? It’s the same company, right?

It's entirely possible Gallant Knight penned their licensing agreement prior to Stewart's death. But if Steve is actively running the business, I think that's a good thing.

Yes, I suppose it is possible but this post on Gallant Knight's site has Steve speaking on behalf of Nocturnal and references GK's need to get approvals from Nocturnal and West End Games. That would indicate someone was working for Nocturnal at that time and they were clearly expecting that to be the case for the foreseeable future. The post is several years old now mind you.

I thought the upcoming Planet of the Apes is using the the same system as Carbon Grey? It’s the same company, right?
I think that's likely. Whether they've said as much, I don't know. To be honest, I never thought the adjustments made in Carbon Grey were extensive enough to qualify as a "variant" of the game. But now that they've got something they think of as "their" variant, it'd make sense if they kept using it.

It would be nice to get a confirmation from Nocturnal or the Wieck estate confirming their acknowledgement that the rules released for Open d6 under the OGL are still safe for use under the OGL.

It would be nice to get a confirmation from Nocturnal or the Wieck estate confirming their acknowledgement that the rules released for Open d6 under the OGL are still safe for use under the OGL.

It would be nice to confirm OpenD6 is still a thing.

Keep in mind that the Zorro RPG does NOT use OpenD6 as the game system, it is the D6 System 2E, which is NOT open.

Keep in mind that the Zorro RPG does NOT use OpenD6 as the game system, it is the D6 System 2E, which is NOT open.
Right, nor do Carbon Grey or the upcoming PotA game so to some degree we are talking apples and oranges. I probably should reread the OGL for the old Open d6 but why pay as opposed to just modifying the free Open d6 rules?

...seriously, guys? After the OGL debacle, and WotC going back, you still believe that the OGL can simply be taken down:shock:?

I mean, who exactly would start a court case against an RPG company that's reposing on "the OGL is no longer valid" preposition:grin:?

Right, nor do Carbon Grey or the upcoming PotA game so to some degree we are talking apples and oranges. I probably should reread the OGL for the old Open d6 but why pay as opposed to just modifying the fee Open d6 rules?
I'm not having inside info either, but I'd also expect it to be due to the WEG name, FWIW.

Until we have other info, of course. Hey, someone from one of the relevant publishing houses might just log to inform us, who knows:shade:?

I also may be overthinking this…
There's no overthinking when you are striking a deal, but for a forum post, yeah, you just might be...:thumbsup:

...seriously, guys? After the OGL debacle, and WotC going back, you still believe that the OGL can simply be taken down:shock:?

I mean, who exactly would start a court case against an RPG company that's reposing on "the OGL is no longer valid" preposition:grin:?

I'm not having inside info either, but I'd also expect it to be due to the WEG name, FWIW.

Until we have other info, of course. Hey, someone from one of the relevant publishing houses might just log to inform us, who knows:shade:?

There's no overthinking when you are striking a deal, but for a forum post, yeah, you just might be...:thumbsup:
I suppose I could upload an Open d6 OGL compliant game to drivethru and see what happens…

There’s not much with D6 that they can really copyright. Rolling D6s and hitting target numbers is not OGL-able. That’s why I’m not really sure why WEG is necessary besides old guys like us going “I remember them from the Star Wars game!”

There’s not much with D6 that they can really copyright. Rolling D6s and hitting target numbers is not OGL-able. That’s why I’m not really sure why WEG is necessary besides old guys like us going “I remember them from the Star Wars game!”
I mean you have two different companies licensing it, there has to be some reason

True. Rewrite it from scratch, use different terminology, and voila. The problem is that I'm not a big enough fan of the system to do that. I couldn't get into it since the WEG Star Wars RPG.

The OGL is still in effect. Therefore OpenD6 is still a thing. Not that anyone is really making anything for it.
Yes, this is really what it comes down to. If the Zorro RPG is the actual 2nd edition of the game, it’s not going to move the needle.

Just adapt your favorite one to it, no need to be a slave to publishers. Barbarians of Lemuria’s magic system is easy to port into a game for example if you want something open ended.

Just adapt your favorite one to it, no need to be a slave to publishers. Barbarians of Lemuria’s magic system is easy to port into a game for example if you want something open ended.
Oh I have. There are third party bolt-on d6 magic systems (Magic & Miracles, etc.) that are workable, but I'd like to see D6 get the deluxe treatment.

It's also one of the best magic systems for S&S among those that I've seen...:thumbsup:
Eh. I still prefer the one from Jaws of the Six Serpents as my S&S favorite. Though I eventually warmed up to it, I was initially underwhelmed by BoL's system. I do think of the two BoL's would be marginally easier to port into a D6 game, however**

**Porting JotSS's magic system to Traveller was literally effortless, but that's because JotSS's intensity/effects chart maps seamlessly onto Traveller's difficulties. I think I'd actually have to work a little harder at it to bring it to D6, while the BoL version would literally bolt on as-is.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back