Favorite Systems

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

zarion

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I was just curious as to what everyone has for favorite systems. Mine is Mythras!

Also I love Mouse Guard, Burning Wheel, and while I haven't played it, Torchbearer looks like it would be super awesome fun.

Also I kind of dig Marvel Heroic Roleplaying thought it is kind of fiddly for my tastes. Any suggestions for a less fiddly but awesome Supers system will be much appreciated!

I also really love Chronica Feudalis and Far Trek for their simplicity and ease of use. These two make for spectacular pick up games, especially with people unfamiliar to RPGs.

I also have am accumulating a vast wealth of BRP/RQ/D100 material as my unhealthy obsession with Mythras is making me crazy about finding things that I can easily adapt to use with it.

Anyway, that's me, how bout you. What systems do you really like?

D&D B/X as presented in Old School Essentials.
Barbarians of Lemuria
Savage Worlds

Edit: I forgot to add Gumshoe

I kinda wanna say Call of Cthulhu, Vampire: the Masquerade and Cyberpunk 2020 but I am not sure if it's because they are great systems or simply because I am very familiar with them. Probably a little of both.

There is a lot of interesting new stuff I want to try out that might join the list but I only get to game once a month. Nightmares Underneath, Mothership, Mork Borg, and Cyberpunk Red come to mind

Last edited:
Depends on the genre, really.

Mythras is a key favourite of mine for dark sword & sorcery and modern espionage in the vein of Ronin (the movie with De Niro).

I really like Mutants & Masterminds 2E for supers.

The original Star Wars d6 for space opera has been a favourite of mine since it originally came out.

The original Traveller LBBs for more standard sci-fi, though I didnt play it back in the day and only really got into it a few years ago.

I also love Night’s Black Agents, but Mythras has knocked it out of the top spot for espionage now.

And I‘d be lying if I said D&D hasn’t always had a top spot in my heart. I’ve played since the Moldvay red box came out, and I’ve run great, fun campaigns with B/X, AD&D 1E, AD&D 2E, 3E, 4E, and now I’ve got two campaigns going with 5E. So as much as some people like to look down on the game, there’s something about every edition of it that has just brought the fun with my group for decades.

Five systems come to mind:

(1) Anything based on OD&D (so I include AD&D, C&C, 5E and maybe DCC) are my usual go-to. I like the way hit points work, spells work, combat works.

(2) Amber Diceless is so darned awesome, but most of my friends don't want to play it. Fundamentally simple, yet balanced. If you paid a lot for it, it does a lot. If you paid nearly nothing, it does nearly nothing.

(3) The base system by Free League Publishing (Tales from the Loop, Vaesen, Alien, etc.) is great. I haven't played it much, but I love it in concept. Simple skill list bolted onto a short list of attributes. I also like stuff like the ability to build and update a HQ in Vaesen. The fact that many of the games are based on art is a neat way to design a campaign. Each rules set seems similar, yet seems to fit the specific game well.

(4) The original "roll and keep" system from 7th Sea was pretty cool, for a short campaign. Very cinematic and swashbuckly and fun. Neat that ship combat was basically identical to character combat. Nice use of mooks; maybe the first time I encountered mook rules.

(5) I liked the alternate card-based mechanic from Castle Falkenstein.

I guess the common factor is most of these is simplicity. I am willing to sacrifice realism and accuracy for a system that plays quickly and I don't need to spend a lot of time trying to master.

Anyway, that's me, how bout you. What systems do you really like?
Call of Cthulhu (5th/6th edition)
Delta Green (2nd edition)
Mongoose Traveller (1st edition) / Cepheus Engine
Mongoose RuneQuest II / Legend

Those are pretty much the systems that I'm most fond of, and that would be the first I'd grab to throw together a campaign. So, D100-based, and Traveller-lifepath style.

There are other systems I like, that I've owned for years, but haven't run in years. Like Dream Pod 9's Silhouette system used by Jovian Chronicles, Heavy Gear, and Tribe 8. Other D100-variants like Elric! and Renaissance. Star Frontiers. Still have some fondness for them.

My ‘go-to’ systems for general fantasy, sci-fi and horror respectively are basically D&D5, Mongoose Traveller 2 and Delta Green (over Call of Cthulhu 7E although I tend to play CoC more regularly).

However, I love the specific systems used for: King Arthur Pendragon, Mutant: Year Zero (and variants) and Vampire: the Masquerade (V5).

1. Phaserip (FASERIP, TSR Marvel Super Heroes)
2. Outlaws of the Water Margin
3. Silhouette (Tribe 8, Heavy Gear)
4. D6 (circa WEG Star Wars 1st edition)
5. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st Edition)
6. Mythras/Runequest 6th edition
7. Call of Cthulhu (3rd Edition)
8. Pendragon (2nd Edition)
9. DC Heroes (2nd Edition)
10. BESM (Tenchi Muyo, 2nd Edition)

Honorable Mentions: 007: James Bond, Cineflex, Dallas, Fate 2nd Edition, Ghostbusters, Lady Blackbird, Over the Edge, The Pool, Risus, Savage Worlds, Star Fronteirs, Streetfighter, Unisystem. Unknown Armies, The Window

The list would be different if I was going by "Favourite RPGs" over "Favourite systems", as there are games where the system isn't great, IMO, but it's made up for by the setting or other factors (Castle Falkenstein, Paranoia 2nd Edition, Shadowrun 2nd Edition, etc)

I've answered this at various times in various ways, but here we go again...

Most reliable top choice (in that I consistently return to this game to run yet another campaign):

RuneQuest 1st edition (1978)

Other favorites:

Cold Iron (college friend's home brew system) (actually a close contender against RuneQuest)
Early D&D (OD&D, AD&D 1e, BX)
Original Classic Traveller (1977)

Also ran systems that I like very much:

Burning Wheel
Metamorphosis Alpha/Gamma World (1e)
Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved (I'm not sure how likely I would be to run/play these again, but for D20 games I do really like them)

Frank

Both games written by me. :grin:

Not written by me:
1) Marvel Superheroes (Faserip)
2) Icons tied with Marvel "Saga" (card powered Marvel game)
3) Shadowrun (20 A or 6E either one)

After that in no particular preferential order: Star Wars d6, Farflung, B/X D&D/BECMI D&D, Cartoon Action Hour S2/S3, Starcluster 3,
MGP Traveller, Hellas,Talislanta, Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Warmachine, Godsend Agenda, Mekton II/Zeta, Tunnels & Trolls, and well a huge bookshelf full of others.

This is today.

Unknown Armies. Greg Stolze is probably my favourite designer and this came along at exactly the right time. I was looking for a less meta alternative to Vampire and this provided it. I like all the editions in different ways.

Advanced Fighting Fantasy. My favourite rules lite high fantasy system. It keeps the core of the books and adds just enough to make the system robust. Arion's dedication to supporting the line is really good as well.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. I started with D&D but this is the first game that really felt like *mine*. We switched around 87/88 and never looked back.

Dragon Warriors. The system is functional, if nothing to write home about. But the Land of Legend makes the game. 13th Century Europe, but with a weird supernatural undercurrent which informs everything. Elves aren't jolly pointed ears fellows in Legend. They're terrifying fey creatures who HAVE NO SOULS.

En Garde! I go on about this I suspect I don't need to explain why.

Runners Up:

Warlock!

Maelstrom

Romance of the Perilous Land

Tunnels and Trolls

Flashing Blades

Paranoia

The list would be different if I was going by "Favourite RPGs" over "Favourite systems", as there are games where the system isn't great, IMO, but it's made up for by the setting or other factors (Castle Falkenstein, Paranoia 2nd Edition, Shadowrun 2nd Edition, etc)

Tristram said "System Matters".

:shock:

Savage Worlds for anything but supers and D&D.

D&D 5e for D&D.

And Icons recently supplanted Marvel SAGA for my superhero needs.

Although Dragon Age is currently my "off game" when one of our Savage Worlds players is unavailable.

I am legit interested in Mythras because so many people on this board seem to like it a lot. Then I crack it open and my eyes glaze over because % and I forget about it for another month or so. My experiences with % based games has mostly been Rolemaster, Call of Cthulhu, WHFRP 1st edition, and Dark Heresy; unfortunately every one of them is very "whiffy". While that works for the 3 of the games mentioned I can't imagine inflicting that on my players outside of a darkly hilarious grimdark game (where PCs are kinda expected to be incompetent boobs in a crisis situation). Can someone help me see the light?

Edit: This is not a troll post like I said, I am legit interested.

There's a bunch of great systems kicking around, but my all time favorite is The Fantasy Trip - the flexibility of GURPs meets the compact, elegant structure of something like red-book Basic D+D, meets uniquely fast-playing tactical combat and magic, all wrapped up in a slightly gonzo open-format fantasy multiverse.

I am legit interested in Mythras because so many people on this board seem to like it a lot. Then I crack it open and my eyes glaze over because % and I forget about it for another month or so. My experiences with % based games has mostly been Rolemaster, Call of Cthulhu, WHFRP 1st edition, and Dark Heresy; unfortunately every one of them is very "whiffy". While that works for the 3 of the games mentioned I can't imagine inflicting that on my players outside of a darkly hilarious grimdark game (where PCs are kinda expected to be incompetent boobs in a crisis situation). Can someone help me see the light?

I know where you are coming from. There’s something about d100 games that I don’t quite like and I can’t really put my finger on it. It goes back to the days of Top Secret SI too.

I hear "whiffy" and I assume that means a low chance of success/ a lot of failed rolls. I guess that really depends on how the system is set up.

The truth is, every system is a percentage system, depending how you look at it.

I wish MEGS would get a legitimate update. It could use a fourth edition to clean up some of the edge problems. DC, you’re my only hope.

I thought maybe there was some hope after the Watchmen modules reprint and that streaming WWatch us Play of the game, but I think I've heard since then that there's a new, different DC RPG in the works.

I thought maybe there was some hope after the Watchmen modules reprint and that streaming WWatch us Play of the game, but I think I've heard since then that there's a new, different DC RPG in the works.

A Batman RPG, but the same dudes who did the big board game. Monolith?

I'm not entirely sure what "whiffy" means. The PCs not being good at something?

For me the trick is understanding the proper application of when to call for rolls and liberal use of the difficulty scale. I'm a super pushover GM so maybe that makes a difference but unless it really is absolutely necessary for a roll, I don't call for them. So, with Mythras, where rolling a skill gets you a check that allows you to then later increase said skill, the real trick is using the difficulty scale. Especially the bonuses for things that are easier than moderate difficulty. Most GMs only ever apply the more difficult than moderate penalties. Any time you think something should be easier than moderate difficulty, allow the player to use the bonuses. Also, make sure to actually think about the difficulty scale and use it often, that's why it appears in the mechanics, so you can use it to avoid the pitfall of having PCs appear to be bad a mundane tasks. Mundane tasks are NOT moderate difficulty tasks.

I hear "whiffy" and I assume that means a low chance of success/ a lot of failed rolls. I guess that really depends on how the system is set up.

The truth is, every system is a percentage system, depending how you look at it.
Obviously yes every game is % system but I have found the sweet spot for PC's is somewhere in the mid to late 60's and these % games (that I have played) usually have PCs start off with crap chances of 40% or so. Again not a problem for CoC or Dark Heresy but maybe not for other games.

I'm not entirely sure what "whiffy" means. The PCs not being good at something?

For me the trick is understanding the proper application of when to call for rolls and liberal use of the difficulty scale. I'm a super pushover GM so maybe that makes a difference but unless it really is absolutely necessary for a roll, I don't call for them. So, with Mythras, where rolling a skill gets you a check that allows you to then later increase said skill, the real trick is using the difficulty scale. Especially the bonuses for things that are easier than moderate difficulty. Most GMs only ever apply the more difficult than moderate penalties. Any time you think something should be easier than moderate difficulty, allow the player to use the bonuses. Also, make sure to actually think about the difficulty scale and use it often, that's why it appears in the mechanics, so you can use it to avoid the pitfall of having PCs appear to be bad a mundane tasks. Mundane tasks are NOT moderate difficulty tasks.

giphy.gif

For me the trick is understanding the proper application of when to call for rolls and liberal use of the difficulty scale. I'm a super pushover GM so maybe that makes a difference but unless it really is absolutely necessary for a roll, I don't call for them. . Also, make sure to actually think about the difficulty scale and use it often, that's why it appears in the mechanics, so you can use it to avoid the pitfall of having PCs appear to be bad a mundane tasks. Mundane tasks are NOT moderate difficulty tasks.
Perfect, that is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I am pretty much that way without out of combat rolls anyway, handwaving mundane or easy tasks. How about combat though?

Obviously yes every game is % system but I have found the sweet spot for PC's is somewhere in the mid to late 60's and these % games (that I have played) usually have PCs start off with crap chances of 40% or so. Again not a problem for CoC or Dark Heresy but maybe not for other games.

Some do.

Mythras is a game that rewards tactics - it's very easy to get your percentages up there if you approach a situation realistically

(which is why my preferred form of combat in the game is hiding in a bush)

I think the trick there is to be generous with bonuses.

Take Unknown Armies approach that the skill score tells you what it's like in an averagely difficult situation, not an average one.

To take a modern example, a character has a 40% Pistol skill.

That's not the score they have when they've had a chance to line up a careful shot round the corner, let alone on the shooting range. It's the score when it's dark, people are running around and you have the general chaos of combat.

It's a simple trick, but one nice thing about it is you can adjust the baseline of "averagely difficult" depending on how heroic you want the PCs.

Thanks for weighing in on that guys. Makes perfect sense when it's explained like that.

Perfect, that is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I am pretty much that way without out of combat rolls anyway, handwaving mundane or easy tasks. How about combat though?
Same applies. Who are they fighting?

Assuming a high heroics type of game:

Group of thugs? +30% to Attack and Parry.

Town Guard? +20%

Soldiers or trained orc warriors? +10%

It shouldn't be a straight roll until the opponents are the peers of the adventurers in combat.

Again, adjust this for setting. Conan? Even bigger bonuses. Low fantasy? Scale it back a bit.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back