Flintlock Fantasy

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Cepheus Engine is... Odd. It feels like it was meant to combine the best bits of various editions of Traveller, but for me it fails and I'd just rather play Traveller since I've got both the editions I like.

All it does is present you with options. You choose what you want to use, and what not. It's based on the Mong Traveller 1st, so that's where everything comes from (since it was OGL). The supplements are pretty backwards compatible, so you could use the supplements I suggested with Traveller

That art is so cool. Am I correct in thinking this is a skirmish wargame? I've seen Alternative Armies stuff at conventions. It might provide some fun mniatures if I can get hold of any.

Yes, it's a skirmish game. Never played it, but I used to see it everywhere.

And sticking with older stuff, there is also the old Amazing Engine games, "For Faerie Queen and Country". I don't remember much of the details, but I think its more fantasy-Victoriana, which I suspect is tonally, if not technologically, a bit different. However at least supernatual aspects are an overt part of the setting, rather the hidden away.

I'm a Call of Cthulhu purist. I tried Trail of Cthulhu and fled back to the peace and safety of 3rd Edition. Anyone can (and seemingly will) publish whatever crap they like with the Cthulhu mythos.
Achtung! Cthulhu was originally published with stats for CoC 6E and Savage Worlds, IIRC with separate books for a Fate and a PDQ version. Recently the CoC 6E/Savage Worlds books were upgraded to CoC 7E.

(On a sidenote, after playing in an Achtung! Cthulhu game where the GM used Savage Worlds, I think I actually prefer this type of supernatural WWII setting with more of a generic supernatural pulp adventure flavour, rather than a strictly Lovecraftian Cthulhu Mythos one. Something more akin to Indiana Jones, Hellboy or Hollow Earth Expedition. That said, I'd still prefer the CoC rules to Savage Worlds.)

Almost everything they publish is 2d20, Vampire 5th Edition is the only exception I know of, and that wasn't Modiphius' to begin with.
Yeah, the only other non-2d20 gameline was Achtung! Cthulhu, which will now get a 2d20 version as well...

Tom Mcgrenery's latest kickstarter is Elephant and Macaw Banner based on a popular set of stories about a Dutch explorer and his Yoruba sidekick in 16th century Brazil. Delivery May 2020 and the KS ends 1 March.

KS link

Achtung! Cthulhu was originally published with stats for CoC 6E and Savage Worlds, IIRC with separate books for a Fate and a PDQ version. Recently the CoC 6E/Savage Worlds books were upgraded to CoC 7E.

(On a sidenote, after playing in an Achtung! Cthulhu game where the GM used Savage Worlds, I think I actually prefer this type of supernatural WWII setting with more of a generic supernatural pulp adventure flavour, rather than a strictly Lovecraftian Cthulhu Mythos one. Something more akin to Indiana Jones, Hellboy or Hollow Earth Expedition. That said, I'd still prefer the CoC rules to Savage Worlds.)

Yeah, the only other non-2d20 gameline was Achtung! Cthulhu, which will now get a 2d20 version as well...

Sandy Peterson said in an interview that he strongly supported Call of Cthulhu being played as supernatural pulpy adventures. I think this became more prominent when players wanted investigators to survive longer. The first major change in that direction was having sanity point recovery. Early scenarios regarded investigators equally as disposable as Dungeons & Dragons adventurers.

I stopped buying Call of Cthulhu scenarios years ago, so regardless of rules, Achtung! Cthulhu was something that I paid no attention to.

Someone beat me to the punch with Flintloque. I'd also add that The Fantasy Trip has black powder guns, grenades, bombs, etc. It is well suited to this sort of setting, particularly if you tack on a couple more guns to the equipment list (e.g., a pistol or two).

It's a D20 setting from the 3.5 era that focuses on a fantastic version of eastern North America, in the mid-17th century timeframe. Looking at it a bit closer (I haven't yet read the books, though I own them), it seems to be more in line with D&D of the time than I thought in terms of cosmology, etc. It also shares that vaguely ahistorical feeling that some of the other titles mentioned share, where the geography and nomenclature is mostly right, but just a little tweaked to make it more fantastical (though less so than, for example, 7th Sea).

Colonial Gothic is going to be re-released using the Zweihander mechanics. Not sure when, maybe later this year?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back