Future State (DC Heroes; play-by-post; 1+ players)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I have Dr Fate and Raven open right now to take a look at builds. blasting and defense powers can also be fluffed out as occult, so that would work too. I know more when I've been through the powers sections of the rules.

Besides the link that Endless Flight gave earlier, there's also writeups.org, which has a number of write-ups for DC characters who have appeared since Mayfair lost the license, or otherwise never got a write-up for whatever reason. A few Batman Beyond characters can be found here (scroll down past the search category boxes).

I just want to say I’m like shocked at how much interest there is in this. I posted an ad similar in 2018 and I didn’t get one response. I think it’s great. I’m a little rusty and nervous because I haven’t done it in ten years but it’s cool.

Odd question: BLue Devil was fuzed/altered by a demon's breath to make his Devil suit part of him, I know Kid Devil/Red Devil became some kind of actual devil person, did BD? I only have old comics of him except for him making a mistake when offered stuff from Neron in the nineties. If he IS altered has he had children?

You mean this Blue Devil?

You mean this Blue Devil?

Yes, but I've decided that whatever you choose, I'll be fine with it.

I've a suggestion, remember the White Martian Invasion when they launched JLA as JLA and not Justice League in comics? They were turned into firefighters who were mind-wiped by Martian Manhunter, and forced to protect humanity. What if one had a child with a human? Depending on your timeline the character idea I have maybe a couple of generations down the line, but a hybrid character who has shapeshifting (animals), and since I've not played a psychic in a long while, I could also have telepathy/Telekinetic Powers admittedly since he's watered down genes so to speak he's not nearly as powerful unless you want to go all out crazy wahoo.

Apparently, hybrids are a thing: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/White_Martians#White_Martian_Hybrids

Also if the PC you create with me can do animals these may be useful-- https://www.writeups.org/rules-dc-heroes-rpg-statistics-animals/

Short form: I'll play anything suitable. Just let me know what plots you want to cover.

I'm really excited to play :grin:

Last edited:
After reading some I think I'm going to veer aittle bit from the magician idea. Sorcery looks like more work than I want to deal with. I think I'm going to lean into the Knight of Winter angle and run with Ice Production and maybe storm related stuff along with some basic beat stick buffs.

So apparently Rip Hunter is Booster Gold’s son, no I’m not up on my comic lore, but I don’t necessarily want to play him. I don’t remember that being the case in the DCAU so if we aren’t including that playing Booster’s son is fine otherwise I could just be a fan who managed to become friends with him when he got older and who he passed all the gear on to so the legacy could be carried on. That would also eliminate any issues with my PC knowing what happens on the future and obviously anything Skeets says will be filtered through the GM.

That’s the great thing about alternate futures. It can be anything you like. In the DCAU expanded lore, I don’t believe it ever got explained what happened to Booster Gold in the future.

After reading some I think I'm going to veer aittle bit from the magician idea. Sorcery looks like more work than I want to deal with. I think I'm going to lean into the Knight of Winter angle and run with Ice Production and maybe storm related stuff along with some basic beat stick buffs.
Some powers are "Magic" without being Sorcery if you want to try those. IIRC

Also character I made ages ago: Touch range only ice/cold generation (mind you he could build an ice slick but that begins below him.)

Knight Chill

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 15-52-30 Timothy Joe Kirk on Instagram Superhero Knightchill.png

What would be a good AP target for a primary offensive power?

I’m guessing anywhere from 2,500+. I’m not really more about feel that how many points they are.

So a Factor Cost 5 character, then? Multiply advantages and disadvantages by five to get their actual cost?

I think anything 10 AP or over is excellent.

Mine might be a little low (DEX and Martial Artist of 9) although I could reasonably bump those up to 11 if needed.

What she lacks in raw power, she more than makes up for in paranoia and psychological uncertainty.

Mine might be a little low (DEX and Martial Artist of 9) although I could reasonably bump those up to 11 if needed.

What she lacks in raw power, she more than makes up for in paranoia and psychological uncertainty.
What kind of character do you have in mind?

What kind of character do you have in mind?

I'll send you a PM when I have more time and don't have to get some sleep. Bumped DEX and Martial Artist up to 11 (cue Spinal Tap joke), but a lot of her worth will be in non-combat capability and flexibility.

Am I good just planning on using the stats for Booster Gold from the previously posted dcheroesrpg.com link? With minor changes perhaps to Advantages and Disadvantages.

Hmm. So for combat does one, say, add DEX and Martial Arts together to get the AV or do you have to pick between them? I'm finding the rules a little scattered on this so far. I'm sure this notion is specifically covered somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Hmm. So for combat does one, say, add DEX and Martial Arts together to get the AV or do you have to pick between them? I'm finding the rules a little scattered on this so far. I'm sure this notion is specifically covered somewhere, but I'm not sure where.
Martial Artist can be used for hand to hand combat. You substitute your skill AP for either AV, OV, EV or RV each round. You also get a permanent +2 to initiative.

If somebody attacks you from range or you attack from range, you can’t use it.

Martial Artist can be used for hand to hand combat. You substitute your skill AP for either AV, OV, EV or RV each round. You also get a permanent +2 to initiative.

If somebody attacks you from range or you attack from range, you can’t use it.
So the benefit is somewhat limited unless the skill AP exceeds your attributes?

You might want to take a look at his file and see if it looks like something you might want to play (not him necessarily because he’d be over 100 years old).

Having read Sorcery a couple of times this dude seems like a good base. I'm going to fart around with some different skills and some tweaking and see how happy I am with the result.

Having read Sorcery a couple of times this dude seems like a good base. I'm going to fart around with some different skills and some tweaking and see how happy I am with the result.
Might take a look at Zatanna she has other powers beyond Sorcery that are "magical"

So the benefit is somewhat limited unless the skill AP exceeds your attributes?

It also substitutes for STR for your Effect Value, which is one of the main benefits, as most human martial artists will have a lower STR than their DEX.

Might take a look at Zatanna she has other powers beyond Sorcery that are "magical"

Raven might be another one to look at. There are several Mystical powers that can be had that don't require the use of the Sorcery power (which is hella expensive).

It also substitutes for STR for your Effect Value, which is one of the main benefits, as most human martial artists will have a lower STR than their DEX.

Raven might be another one to look at. There are several Mystical powers that can be had that don't require the use of the Sorcery power (which is hella expensive).
The char gen rules are making my head hurt. I think I'm going to kit bash Zatara rather than make something from scratch. We'll call it The Dresdening.

The char gen rules are making my head hurt. I think I'm going to kit bash Zatara rather than make something from scratch. We'll call it The Dresdening.
Yes, that’s a wise decision. I rarely build characters using the default method. I tend to use the Marvel method of character modeling.

Yes, that’s a wise decision. I rarely build characters using the default method. I tend to use the Marvel method of character modeling.
I'll use Zatara as the rough base, so if I add things I try to take something else away. Not exactly, but generally. I like the balancing act of having a sorcery AP higher than Spirit. It models magic with fatigue really well.

I have an Excel sheet I found online that might help, if you want it?

I have an Excel sheet I found online that might help, if you want it?
Sure thing! But more because I'm incapable of turning down resources than that I might actually use it in this case, but I appreciate it. I've got my guy more less roughed out, now it's just the detail work and trying not to be greedy.

If you're still looking for inspiration/stuff to steal from for a character that is magical, but doesn't use Sorcery, besides some of the recommendations that others have already made you might want to look at Baron Winters and Doctor Mist (both included in the link that EF gave earlier).

If you're still looking for inspiration/stuff to steal from for a character that is magical, but doesn't use Sorcery, besides some of the recommendations that others have already made you might want to look at Baron Winters and Doctor Mist (both included in the link that EF gave earlier).
Now that I've grokked Sorcery I'm fine with it, and it does a better job covering Dresden's range of shit I wanted to be able to do. I'm going to write some 'spells' up for myself for easy reference.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back