Gloomhaven RPG Announced

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

deflagratio

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
At Pax Unplugged, the Gloomhaven RPG was announced. It will be part of the crowdfunding campaign for a complete set of monster mini's and a 2nd round of Frosthaven ordering. You can watch it at . Go to timestamp 2:43:41 to watch the demo. If you go back about 2-3 Minutes you can see the announcement portion. It uses the base *Haven card mechanics. There will be new card decks to add skill actions to cards. Character creation is going to be interesting, in addition to skills and perks, you build your deck with a combination of class cards and ancestry cards. They encourage people to use the board games for components to play the game, but that will not be mandatory.

My notes from my watching the demo:

Characters have skill bonuses on their character sheet in addition to "Feats"/Perks.

Perk example: Collector, bonus to checks that involves the thing you collect.

Skill check is flip card

GM Has their own flip deck. Opposed flips are a thing.

Cards have modifiers to specific skill checks.

Combat does not require a map but it is recommended to use Gloomhaven/Frosthaven pieces and figures

Ooze possessed Valrath has night demon servants. SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Poison effect still works the same. Pierce seems to work the same. "Setting him on fire" seems there are some elemental effects.

Attacking a Night Demon is always at disadvantage.

There are perks that provide bonuses in attack situations - Get plus one on all attacks, plus two when attacking someone who has a weapon.

"Oz uses the Ooze Ability Card" Does the GM Gain the monster deck to play as they see fit? Does the GM have the ability to merge monsters?

Thanks for watching. I didn’t get a chance to and sort of hate watching live plays.

Thanks for watching. I didn’t get a chance to and sort of hate watching live plays.
It's going to be interesting to see what this does for the RPG Marketplace. Gloomhaven has a huge install base who are already familiar with the core mechanics, have the board games to provide battle maps and minis, and a truly unique set of mechanics. They've also got great random event generators in the city and road cards. If the skill system allows for the flexibility they say it: "letting you swing from chandeliers, kick through walls, or even convince the bad guys to stop fighting", I think it has a chance to become a major player in the RPG Space.

There is one great moment in the demo where the villian sets 2 bowls of berries on the table, and the GM sets out bowls of red and green grapes. One player reaches out and starts eating red grapes while Isaac looks on in horror.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back