Gone and almost forgotten

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
ETA: "Eat the Reich"? Was that the name of the thing I'm thinking of?

Yes! Eat the Reich is a WWII vampires eating Nazis game, by Rowan Rook and Decard. Who are also the makers of…

Spire and Heart were two games that had mostly fallen under the radar, but Quinns Quest's review of the latter has brought them to attention again. I've seen it show up in a handful of recommendation threads over the past couple of weeks.

Rightfully so. Heart and Spire are under-appreciated gems. Just so much fun at the table, and each with its own feel despite using the same core system.

But really does it matter if a game is ‘popular’ or not? If you or your group have the rules that’s all you need. Play the heck out of it.
Totally. But I have an extended play-group of friends that love games and will tolerate ones I run :-)
I think it is different for people who are looking for pickup games or don't have a play group.

TBH that life seems a bit wierd to me as I still play with people I met in the late 80s... (and a bunch of
people I met since then). TBH the most recent people in our groups are the next generation like my son
and another fella's son who have graduated to the "main" tables from kids games. Even they are there for
maybe 5 years.

My copy of Eat the Reich just showed up. The presentation is quite nice. Haven't had time to really read through it yet.

It’s a cool, flavorful game. I plan on running it after my current Stonetop campaign wraps. It’s designed to only last a few sessions, so I’ll fit it in between our next long campaign.

Steampunk is a bit of a nitch within a nitch RPG market to begin with. Still worth mentioning ...
Clockwork: Dominion
Tephra: the Steampunk RGP

One could argue FATE is still going on generally, but two of those games I do not see mentioned anymore are
Tianxia
Bulldogs! (Yes, the exclamation point must be included. Always.)

I remember a big splash around Wil Wheaton's Ashes of Valkana setting for Fantasy AGE. But I think it only got 1 book plus a 10-page short adventure in the end.

Maybe a bit early for the OP's question, and anyway a setting not a game, but it was a noticeable fizzle.

I saw Wil Wheaton's name attached to it and noped right the fuck out.

One could argue FATE is still going on generally, but two of those games I do not see mentioned anymore are
Tianxia

Bulldogs! is actually a Fate game I still have a degree of affection for. The one that was once all the rage but seems to have been completely forgotten is Diaspora.

Tianxia

I think the difference is that in the pre-Fate Core (Fate 3.0) days, people talked about and recommened different Fate-based games like Spirit of the Century, Disapora, Dresden Files or Bulldogs!.

Since Fate Core, you are more likely to get a recommendation for the official,generic rule (Core, Accelerated or Condensed). There are still 3rd party and setting specific Fate games, but the spotlight seems to be firmly on the core rules.

I think the difference is that in the pre-Fate Core (Fate 3.0) days, people talked about and recommened different Fate-based games like Spirit of the Century, Disapora, Dresden Files or Bulldogs!.

Since Fate Core, you are more likely to get a recommendation for the official,generic rule (Core, Accelerated or Condensed). There are still 3rd party and setting specific Fate games, but the spotlight seems to be firmly on the core rules.

Personally I prefer the pre-Fate Core period of Fate games. Fate Core is a very good system, at least it has the best explanation of the rules, but the Fate games before that just has more style to them. I also think a lot more work was put into comforming Fate to the individual settings, than is done now with Fate Core. Just my opinion of course.

Personally I prefer the pre-Fate Core period of Fate games. Fate Core is a very good system, at least it has the best explanation of the rules, but the Fate games before that just has more style to them. I also think a lot more work was put into comforming Fate to the individual settings, than is done now with Fate Core. Just my opinion of course.

I totally agree. I too prefer those rowdy, messy days of Fate 3.0.

Second best, I’d say. Atomic Robo still wins.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back